The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 2: January 2014 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Robert Jobson @theroyaleditor · 37m 37 minutes ago
#PrinceWilliam will attend #Jewish Care's 25th Anniversary Dinner at Alexandra Palace on 12 June

He mingled with several of the Avengers at a starry polo match on Sunday, and now Prince William is set for some real-life hero time.

On Monday the royal dad, 32, left wife Kate and children Prince George, 22 months, and one-month-old Princess Charlotte at home and clocked in for flying training with his non-royal job as an air ambulance pilot, a palace spokesperson confirmed to PEOPLE.

He is starting his last period of instruction aboard a new helicopter in a bid to be a fully operational pilot for East Anglian Air Ambulance in a few weeks. After then, he will undertake shifts like other pilots, helping save lives in the region of England just north of London.

The palace has said that William will donate his annual salary – reported to be around $60,000 – to an undisclosed charity. He is splitting his training between Cambridge, Norwich and Staverton in Gloucestershire, the home base for Bond Air Services, the company that directly employs him.
More: Prince William: Returns to Work as Air Ambulance Pilot : People.com

The Duke of Cambridge will tonight celebrate the 25th anniversary of a charity which provides health and social care support to the UK's Jewish community.

William will attend a special dinner marking the milestone of Jewish Care at London's Alexandra Palace, and meet the organisation's clients, staff, volunteers and supporters and give a speech.

The organisation provides care and support to 7,000 members of the Jewish community and their families each week, meeting the needs of a range of groups from Holocaust survivors and those with mental health issues to carers and others with degenerative illnesses.

More: The Duke of Cambridge will tonight celebrate the 25th anniversary of Jewish Care | Western Daily Press

Prince William has delivered an historic address to more than 1,400 people at Jewish Care’s 25th anniversary dinner at Alexandra Palace.

Paying a glowing tribute to the organisation, it was the second-in-line to the throne’s first speech to a Jewish community function.

Introduced to the stage by Lord Levy, he said: “Thank you, Lord Levy, for your kind introduction and, Lionel, for giving your time to entertain us. I imagine the crowd here will be rowdier that what you’ll have at Glastonbury.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for inviting me to join you this evening for your birthday celebrations. Nearly two hundred years ago, in 1819, there were two quite monumental births. The first was monumental for my family – the birth of my great, great, great, great grandmother, Queen Victoria, who went on to live 81 years and whose daughter-in-law, Alexandra, gave her name to this amazing building.
More: Prince William: "Your unity is precious when British Jews have felt under threat"

The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 2: January 2014

You have love the Daily Express article about this event (it's not worth linking to). To summarize it- Diana loved Lionel Ritchie's Hello and there was a blurb say the Cambridges might rent a holiday house this summer in America which was denied.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
All I can say is that this man has incredible people skills.

Yes, he does. He can make pretty much anyone feel at ease. He's at home doing Investitures, talking to the elderly, greeting politicians, and playing with children.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Yes, he does. He can make pretty much anyone feel at ease. He's at home doing Investitures, talking to the elderly, greeting politicians, and playing with children.

Yup. If I met him, he could put me at ease, and that's saying something. You hit the nail on the head! What is it they say? A man of many hats/ roles. It's a gift. One of the many reasons we love him. He always makes me smile. I must say he seems popular with the LOL's.

Last edited:
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2m2 minutes ago City of London, London
Prince William has a series of royal engagements next week before beginning his first full week of Air Ambulance shifts on July 13.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 3m3 minutes ago City of London, London
William will attend a 10th anniversary event in Hyde Park on Tuesday commemorating the 7/7 London bombings.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 1m1 minute ago City of London, London
The Duke of Cambridge will visit the Imperial War Museum Duxford on Thursday. So engagements on Tuesday, Wed (with Kate),Thursday and Friday

Thank you Dman. I'm glad that we finally have a start date for his shifts with EAAA and I'm not surprised that a number of engagements will occur before then.

Prince William is attending a service in Hyde Park in memory of the 52 people who died in the London bombings of 7 July 2005.

A minute's silence was observed earlier as survivors of the attacks and relatives of the victims gathered at a ceremony at St Paul's Cathedral.

After the silence, petals fell from the dome and four candles were lit - one for each of the four blast sites.

Some stations held silences at 08:50 BST - the time of the first explosions.

Giving the address at the anniversary service the Bishop of London, the Right Reverend Richard Chartres, said the attacks had affected people from all over the world.

"Soon after 7 July, the families and the friends of the victims complied a book of tributes. It is a taste of the ocean of pain surrounding the loss of each one of the victims," he said.
More: 7 July London bombings: Ceremonies in memory of victims - BBC News

I read somewhere online last week that the victims' families and survivors that organized the Hyde Park event that William is attending specifically asked for him to attend. Given his own history, seems like an excellent ideal

Mary Nightingale@nightingaleitv
Duke of Cambridge has stayed after Hyde Park service to meet survivors and bereaved. No ceremony - just chatting and listening. #sevenseven

I read somewhere online last week that the victims' families and survivors that organized the Hyde Park event that William is attending specifically asked for him to attend. Given his own history, seems like an excellent ideal

Duke of Cambridge has stayed after Hyde Park service to meet survivors and bereaved. No ceremony - just chatting and listening. #sevenseven

I'm not at all surprised. This is William we're talking about. He has a lot of compassion, and is respected by those who meet him. Nicely done.

Two days after celebrating a happy family occasion with the christening of his daughter Princess Charlotte, Prince William helped mark the remembrance of one of the most solemn days in recent British history.

William, 33, attended a service Tuesday to commemorate the lives of the 52 people who died in the worst terrorist attack on British soil.

In what became known as 7/7, four terrorists bombed three London Underground "tube" trains and a London bus 10 years ago today.
More: Prince William Honors Survivors of London's 7/7 Terrorist Attacks : People.com

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 1h1 hour ago
Prince William to #sevenseven survivor Shanie Ryan: "I know about loss. It helps to talk to people." (via @emmaailes)
https://twitter.com/britishroyals/status/618441782825652228

@ Skippyboo- I couldn't agree more! And I can't say I'm surprised. I can't imagine being in that situation, but if I was, I'd want William. I don't know anyone better. He's the best a person can be at this sort of thing. People know his character- what kind of person he is. That is why we love him.
@ Rudolph- I can't say I'm surprised at this either. In fact, what would surprise me, is if there was a lot of ceremony, and if he didn't chat and listen. Listening with his heart- what William does best.
Third- I don't think I need words here, which is good, because I don't have any. I am in tears here. Listening with his heart.

Last edited:
'It may not have broken London, but it broke some of us': Prince William's hug for woman caught up in 7/7 bombings as a 14-year-old schoolgirl after he listens to her heart-wrenching speech"

Prince William's hugs 7/7 bombings victim after her emotional Hyde Park speech | Daily Mail Online

I arrived in London the afternoon of 7/7 for a 2 week vacation with my mom and aunt (her first international trip) - arriving from a direct 10 hr flight from Los Angeles. We had been on the flight when the bombings happened. I had been to London many times - but never a time like that. No one at LHR said anything as we disembarked the plane... although the Passport Control officer was very concerned if I was planning on taking the tube - I told him no I had a driver waiting outside baggage claim, but i was puzzled as they are usually not the chatty types. Once we all got our luggage, our driver asked us if we knew what had happened - then he told us London had been bombed that morning - you could look around and see others on our flights all discovering the news. We got to the hotel - utter chaos. People who worked in the city were trying to stay as the transportation of the city was at a standstill. But everyone was kind. We changed our plans that night - and just ate dinner at the hotel and went for a walk in Green Park and then it started to rain - Gods way of telling everyone to stay where they were.

It was an emotional trip - everyone was jumpy, but sensitive - we were at St Paul's the next morning when there was a bomb threat (someone left something unattended on a tour bus outside). it took about a week - and we were riding the tube - nervous the first time - but the people of London are strong and resilient - and kind. i cant believe it has been 10 years.
#10yearsafter #sevenseven

'It may not have broken London, but it broke some of us': Prince William's hug for woman caught up in 7/7 bombings as a 14-year-old schoolgirl after he listens to her heart-wrenching speech"

Prince William's hugs 7/7 bombings victim after her emotional Hyde Park speech | Daily Mail Online

I arrived in London the afternoon of 7/7 for a 2 week vacation with my mom and aunt (her first international trip) - arriving from a direct 10 hr flight from Los Angeles. We had been on the flight when the bombings happened. I had been to London many times - but never a time like that. No one at LHR said anything as we disembarked the plane... although the Passport Control officer was very concerned if I was planning on taking the tube - I told him no I had a driver waiting outside baggage claim, but i was puzzled as they are usually not the chatty types. Once we all got our luggage, our driver asked us if we knew what had happened - then he told us London had been bombed that morning - you could look around and see others on our flights all discovering the news. We got to the hotel - utter chaos. People who worked in the city were trying to stay as the transportation of the city was at a standstill. But everyone was kind. We changed our plans that night - and just ate dinner at the hotel and went for a walk in Green Park and then it started to rain - Gods way of telling everyone to stay where they were.

It was an emotional trip - everyone was jumpy, but sensitive - we were at St Paul's the next morning when there was a bomb threat (someone left something unattended on a tour bus outside). it took about a week - and we were riding the tube - nervous the first time - but the people of London are strong and resilient - and kind. i cant believe it has been 10 years.
#10yearsafter #sevenseven

Dear Lord... That first picture. No words. I'm toast. If that doesn't make you cry, you need a cardiologist. Best picture of Prince William ever.
And William with that baby- precious.:wub:

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 1h1 hour ago
Prince William to #sevenseven survivor Shanie Ryan: "I know about loss. It helps to talk to people." (via @emmaailes)
https://twitter.com/britishroyals/status/618441782825652228
When I saw this I got really emotional. Not only because of his loss, but because he's breaking the royal familys tradioton of "keep quiet and move on". He is accknowledging the need to speak about tradgedies and that seemed really poignant to me!

Indeed so. It's William. I'd be surprised if he didn't.

Dear Lord... That first picture. No words. I'm toast. If that doesn't make you cry, you need a cardiologist. Best picture of Prince William ever.

And William with that baby- precious.:wub:

I'm sitting here, reading the articles, and tearing up. Yes, William is one of a kind. If there's anyone who would go out of his/her way to ease someone's pain, to make someone smile, it would be him. He was the perfect person for this engagement.

When I saw this I got really emotional. Not only because of his loss, but because he's breaking the royal familys tradioton of "keep quiet and move on". He is accknowledging the need to speak about tradgedies and that seemed really poignant to me!

Indeed so. It's William. I'd be surprised if he didn't.

Yes, and another reason why we happen to love and respect him. He is not afraid to feel, or to even fall apart a little bit. He acts like himself, and knows exactly when to drop the 'work' face. He has brought me to tears a few times over the years.

Yes, William is truly one of a kind and it's one of the many reasons why I like him.

:previous: Why is William "one of a kind"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom