The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-14-2014, 06:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
All I ask of people who choose to do it is that the shooter be experienced and skilled and seek to kill the animal as quickly as possible, for it is not the animal's fault it is a pest and it deserves to be treated humanely and not left, fatally wounded, to wander around in agony for days before dying. A clean kill is actually all I ask of people who participate in any form of legal hunting.

Well put.

I don't think any legal hunter can guarantee a clean kill, but that is always the goal. This is a big part of the reason why some weapons are allowable while others aren't - a trained marksmen with a gun is likely to get a clean kill, while a trap isn't. The person who uses the trap instead is considered a poacher because they're causing undue harm to the animal and using inhumane methods.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Serene Highness

The story is the Mail which has the Duke of Cambridge calling for all of the ivory in BP to be destroyed has me confused.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-poachers.html

The article states the William has hidden all the ivory at Clarence House where he lives. This alone makes me question the accuracy of the article.

The items in the royal palaces are part of the royal collection which are owned by the state not the monarch. The ivory items are not new and have already been made. For example, there is a carved ivory cup and lid with animals and the goddess Diana on it that Fiona Bruce featured in the Windsor Castle episode of the Queen's Palaces. It has the nickname of the brain. It was made in the 1700s. What is the benefit of destroying this 300 yr old item?

Old 02-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Courtier

I would think Granny would have something to say about that, let alone the Royal Collection.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:13 PM
Majesty

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 2h
Prince William is attending the #BAFTA tonight & presenting Helen Mirren with the Fellowship Award. Kate is staying home with George

You can watch the BAFTA's on BBC America: 8pm Tonight-
Schedule | Movies | BBC America

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The story is the Mail which has the Duke of Cambridge calling for all of the ivory in BP to be destroyed has me confused.

Prince William 'wants to strip out ALL of Buckingham Palace's ivory... and destroy the lot to set an example for other world leaders' | Mail Online

The article states the William has hidden all the ivory at Clarence House where he lives. This alone makes me question the accuracy of the article.

The items in the royal palaces are part of the royal collection which are owned by the state not the monarch. The ivory items are not new and have already been made. For example, there is a carved ivory cup and lid with animals and the goddess Diana on it that Fiona Bruce featured in the Windsor Castle episode of the Queen's Palaces. It has the nickname of the brain. It was made in the 1700s. What is the benefit of destroying this 300 yr old item?
There was an article in the Telegraph 2 days ago, stating that Prince Charles had removed ivory from display at Clarence House. I think that could be accurate.

PRince Charles had been called on, by "extreme" conservationists to destroy all of the ivory in the royal collection. As you point out, it's not owned by the BRF, but the state.

I've not read the Mail article but it sounds like they have lifted the story and changed the names to make it more Mail reader friendly.

The Telegraph reader comments were firmly against destroying centuries old workmanship.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

Prince William 'wants to strip out ALL of Buckingham Palace's ivory... and destroy the lot to set an example for other world leaders' | Mail Online

Perhaps a solution would be to donate the historic pieces to a museum, but recent acquisitions could be warehoused.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Perhaps a solution would be to donate the historic pieces to a museum, but recent acquisitions could be warehoused.
I would think that anything belonging to the Royal Collection would have its own storage and vaults and warehouses and should a piece be perhaps the private property of Charles or HM that they have had handed down to them, how hard would it be to stash them away there? As passionate as Charles gets about the issues he stands up for, it wouldn't surprise me one bit that he's taken the measures to put away the things made from ivory that are around Clarence House. To not have his guests draw the wrong conclusion and see a paradox is smart. To destroy works of art is stupid.

Its also very possible that when the ivory was attained for the crafting of the pieces that the RF has, the times were quite different and the animals quite a bit more plentiful and not endangered as they are today.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Majesty

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 2h
"@itvnews Prince William arrives at the Bafta awards http://itv.co/1b7ZcSj pic.twitter.com/5cSWxaZ7XH"

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 33m When introducing Prince William to audience, @stephenfry jokes at his delight that Helen Mirren "has brought her grandson along”.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 6h
Then, tomorrow The Queen - along with the Duchess of Cambridge - will host a reception at Buckingham Palace for 'the dramatic arts’.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you for the video of William at the BAFTA awards.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:53 PM
Courtier

Loved Stephen Fry's joke about Helen Mirren being William's grandmother. I'll bet she didn't think it was real funny!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Loved Stephen Fry's joke about Helen Mirren being William's grandmother. I'll bet she didn't think it was real funny!

I bet she thought it was - she's played HM twice and won her only Academy Award for her role in The Queen.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I bet she thought it was - she's played HM twice and won her only Academy Award for her role in The Queen.
Of course. I get the joke and so did she. But no woman her age wants to be called a grandmother to a man William's age!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

I loved the joke - especially when William actually said "or should I say granny" or something like that when presenting the fellowship to Mirren. Definitely one of the highlights of an otherwise rather disappointing BAFTA evening.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Prince William and Amanda Berry OBE, Chief Executive of Bafta arriving at The EE British Academy Film Awards 2014 - London
face to face
Old 02-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I also loved Stephen Fry's little joke about Helen Mirren bringing her grandson along. It made me laugh out loud. Singer Tinie Tempah also gave William a friendly handshake as he was about to go on stage.

Prince William jokes with The Queen actress Dame Helen Mirren as he presents her with BAFTA Fellowship Award | Mail Online
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

If Prince William wants to protect wildlife, he'd better put down the gun | Ken Wharfe | Comment is free | theguardian.com
Quote:
Do palace courtiers have a good eye for PR? This week Prince William and his brother "bagged" a few sandbags and waded the flooded upper reaches of the Thames. This tour of royal duty presumably produced the desired effect – positive media reporting – no doubt resulting in much merriment among the corridors of the royal household. On a roll, Prince William has called for all ivory artefacts to be removed from the royal palaces and destroyed. Less merriment now. Does his grandmother know about this? Surely such a statement will be anathema to the Duke of Edinburgh who will be muttering in William's direction, and heading to the press office to remind them who's in charge of this "bloody place". This follows the prince's attendance at the World Wildlife symposium in London last week. The hunting and slaughter of elephant and rhinoceros is no longer the sport of kings and the idle rich, with the exception of the Spanish royal family.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

An interesting article by Ken Wharfe. So those pheasant shoots are just setups to cater to the desire of the Royals and their friends to kill things. "Requiring little or no skill, royal pheasant shoots are a pre-planned carnage of wildlife, bred specifically for slaughter." On this issue I have to totally agree with Diana, for I, too, find it repugnant.

And one of the comments brought up that Hen Harrier issue. The Hen Harriers are being driven to extinction in Britain as a direct result of the work of the grouse moor gamekeepers whose priority is the grouse for blood sport and not the preservation of the native species. What do you have to say about that, Harry? If you're really interested in conservation, how about starting at home, working for the conservation of British species instead of heading off overseas to kill things.

Celebrities speaking up for the big, popular, species like elephants is common and requires little effort. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, because a lot of people pay more attention to what celebrities say than what experts say, and some celebrities are dedicated workers for conservation. To William and Harry I say spend a few years consistently working for the conservation of the less "popular" but equally important endangered British species and I'll have far more regard for you.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
An interesting article by Ken Wharfe. So those pheasant shoots are just setups to cater to the desire of the Royals and their friends to kill things. "Requiring little or no skill, royal pheasant shoots are a pre-planned carnage of wildlife, bred specifically for slaughter." On this issue I have to totally agree with Diana, for I, too, find it repugnant.

And one of the comments brought up that Hen Harrier issue. The Hen Harriers are being driven to extinction in Britain as a direct result of the work of the grouse moor gamekeepers whose priority is the grouse for blood sport and not the preservation of the native species. What do you have to say about that, Harry? If you're really interested in conservation, how about starting at home, working for the conservation of British species instead of heading off overseas to kill things.

Celebrities speaking up for the big, popular, species like elephants is common and requires little effort. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, because a lot of people pay more attention to what celebrities say than what experts say, and some celebrities are dedicated workers for conservation. To William and Harry I say spend a few years consistently working for the conservation of the less "popular" but equally important endangered British species and I'll have far more regard for you.
Yeah, but that's a bit too complicated for me, Roslyn.

And the elephants are so darn cute.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Duke of Cambridge has written a letter of support to the people of Christchurch/Canterbury NZ, on the 3rd anniversary of the earthquake. Lovely letter, with hints that they will be going there in April

Prince's letter signals return to Canterbury | Stuff.co.nz

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Majesty

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 2h
Prince William, The Duke of Cambridge, will be carrying out the investiture today at Buckingham Palace.

It's all gone Pete Tong for Prince William. He's been presenting the superstar dance DJ with an MBE at a Buckingham Palace investiture.

Dr. Maya Angelou