The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Aristocracy

I don't think the criticism from Prince William's fellow Cambridge students is fair - William is not going to Cambridge for a degree but to complete a ten week professional education course. Perhaps his time there will bring widespread attention to the benefits of lifelong learning.

I wrote about this today:

http://www.royalhistorian.com/why-pr...-at-cambridge/

Old 01-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynHarris View Post
I don't think the criticism from Prince William's fellow Cambridge students is fair - William is not going to Cambridge for a degree but to complete a ten week professional education course. Perhaps his time there will bring widespread attention to the benefits of lifelong learning.

I wrote about this today:

http://www.royalhistorian.com/why-pr...-at-cambridge/

He also will be king one day. They should want him to get the best kind of education possible.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Aristocracy

I don't understand anyone complaining that William is getting into Cambridge at all, after all, he is only there for 10 week course, not a 4 year degree. I don't know of a college that doesn't have these type of programs.......they all do. It helps the college to make more money with these type of courses.....the person can say *they went to so and so college* even if for a 8/10 week course. The University of Chicago has these type of courses and being a history buff they are great for people like me that want to learn more about a certain subject...even Harvard has these type of courses........so is the media making a stink out of nothing just to sell more papers............seems so to me. Most students that go to college know that this can be done..........no big deal, I say let William get all the education he wants as he will be able to use it in the future. I think he is one smart young man who can for see what needs to be done.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:08 PM

It should be noted that Prince William already holds a degree in Geography from the University of St. Andrews and a Scottish Master of Arts degree, so he was hardly applying for a place as an undergraduate fresh out of school.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Nobility

To me, "controversy" implies that a significant number of people are offended… this situation seems more like one guy trying to make a fuss with a snarky student newspaper article. I don't get the impression that a lot of Cambridge students are actually upset.

It wouldn't bode well for the UK's supposed best and brightest if they couldn't figure out the difference between what William is doing and the regular course of studies at Cambridge.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Majesty

It is simply royal bashing and has become an issue as a result as it has been picked up by the mainstream media who aren't helping the situation by not spelling out the difference between the undergraduate courses and the type of course he is doing.

Publishing the different A level results of the royals in the DM is to me to show that none of them had the grades to enter Cambridge (and they didn't - strings were pulled to get both Charles and Edward there) but it is also to bash the royals - seems a favourite pastime for some of the media.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Aristocracy

It seems that a Mr. Helipern who is the editor of The Tab at Cambridge (forgive if I got that wrong, read it somewhere else and trying to remember correctly) wants the student to follow and take pictures of William wherever he goes. To me this seems like *Stalking* and *Harassment* and could become a very serious problem for William if this happens. Remember there are tons of *crazies* out there wanting to make a name for themselves and it seems that Mr. Helipern is one of them. He goes to Cambridge, he is the editor of a newspaper.............shouldn't he know better then to start this kind of trouble? I will try to go back to the site and find this article and if found will repost the site where I saw it.............Mr. Helipern seems very jealous of William because he himself is not a royal..........the DM, well, they are to be given not thought at all as they are worthless, their editors, writers and owners.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Aristocracy

Found the site that I was referring to in my earlier comment.........about Mr. Helipern at Cambridge.

Originally Posted by marine2109
Cambridge University could face harassment charges over pictures of Prince William | Royalty in the News
Old 01-09-2014, 02:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think William going to become more informed is great ... good luck to him... IMO
Old 01-09-2014, 03:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
He goes to Cambridge, he is the editor of a newspaper.............shouldn't he know better then to start this kind of trouble? I will try to go back to the site and find this article and if found will repost the site where I saw it.............Mr. Helipern seems very jealous of William because he himself is not a royal..........the DM, well, they are to be given not thought at all as they are worthless, their editors, writers and owners.
He's starting this kind of "trouble" or attempting to, because he believes William has got into Cambridge because of his title not because of his A-Level grades which is what gets students into Cambridge. Students for most courses need A*AA, William got ABC. There has been much debate because William is not actually getting any qualification out of this course, it's just a more knowledge course, it's pretty much a "pay to go" advancement class which anyone can go on.

Mr Helipern isn't a crazy, and I don't think he's jealous of William. Like you say he's the editor of his newspaper, and newspaper's tend to sensationalise stories for readership.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:02 AM
Heir Apparent

how lucky is william to study at st john's. it's such a beautiful college of cambridge.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 01-11-2014, 09:15 AM
Commoner

I know I am late to this discussion but I really don't see what the problem is. William is not doing a course that needs for you to apply, it's bespoke, with no qualifications at the end.
As most people have pointed out, most universities in the world have these kind of courses. My mothers company sent a number of their staff to a bespoke course that they had organized with a university. These bespoke courses are tailor made to fit your needs as an individual and all you have to do in return is pay.
I don't know how things work in Cambridge but at my university, even if this was an entry course, William's A-levels would not matter because he holds a degree. His degree would be used to decide if he qualifies for entry. He would be a postgraduate student. I know a number of people in my class whose grades did not qualify them for entry into medicine (it's an undergraduate degree in SA). They did a three/four year degree in sciences and then used that to apply for entry into medicine.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William to speak at Wildlife Conference in February. From Sunday Times 12th January

START
PRINCE WILLIAM will step onto the world stage next month in front of up to 60 heads of state at a global summit highlighting the plight of endangered species.

The Duke of Cambridge, who is expected to make a keynote speech, has long been a backer of wildlife charities. He will support David Cameron and William Hague, who have organised the London summit in response to the growing threat to three iconic animals: the tiger, elephant and rhino.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-19-2014, 05:46 PM
Nobility

Prince William's Uni Course Being Reported in Oz as Causing "Uproar" in UK.

Hi All,

Monday morning in Australia and Royal reporter Rob Jobson - who is a regular, see him a couple of times a week - is being interviewed by our local TV hosts regarding the "rocky" start to Prince William's uni course, that "is only getting worse".(Words of our Australian TV personality, not Rob.)

Focus is on the "discount/cut-price" of his course, and that fellow students are upset by this.

Rob is reporting that this has caused a bit of disquiet among the Queen's courtiers, and that they see it as "rather naive" of William's aides to allow this to have happened.

It has caused a bit of an uproar when people know William's personal trust fund is worth around fifty million, (Australian), dollars.

It's also being reported that the university is "fudging" things, as that want the Duke of Cambridge associated with Cambridge University, but that in fact the cost is a substantial amount less than what should have been paid, even though it is a tailor-made, ten week course etc.

Best Wishs Everyone, Sun Lion.

P.S. I know Rob isn't some posters favourite Royal reporter, but he fits in well with Australian audiences - I find him very likeable and straight to the point in his style.

Also, he often come out with things that make me think he knows what he is talking about - has the inside track wth those in the know.

PP.S. Hi Skippyboo - yes, still very hot across Oz, with homes now being burnt down in NSW after being lost in WA, SA and VIC. Makes me think we'll either have a hot time for W and K's visit -as we'll be heading into a drought - or the heavens will open and and we'll all be dodging the delayed/built up rain - one extreme or the other.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:06 PM
Courtier

What a load of rubbish and its OLD NEWS and its not as dramatic as he makes it out to be.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post

What a load of rubbish and its OLD NEWS and its not as dramatic as he makes it out to be.

Whether true or not royalistbert, this was a national broadcast across the whole of Australia - so a national audience that would not doubt it.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

P.S. Not sensationalised - presented very matter of factly with reports on a couple of other royal matters.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

My understanding was that Rob Jobson was actually using an article from the Daily Mirror as the basis of his comments (this is based on the fact that he used the Mirror story on Twitter).

The article actually said that William paid less because the course was cheaper than he expected. This was translated as a discount. To me, if something costs less than I thought it would, I dont consider that a discount.

The Mirror article also tried to negatively compare the cost of William's course with the debt laden students leaving university with over £25k of debt with annual fees of c. £9k
Well £10,000 for a 10 week course rather than £9,000 for c. 30 weeks looks like the student got a bargain. I know this is flippant but really is getting ridiculous.

He hasn't stopped anyone from getting a place at university; he is paying (whatever it is) out of his own pocket; he is showing that learning something new when you are over 30 is ok; he is showing commitment to his future life being responsible for the Duchy of Cornwall.

Jobson tends to focus on the negative and the sensational - years at the News of the World have had there effect on him. But he does have great taste in music.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Nobility

The original article didn't say anything about students being upset. Apparently, one guy made a comment about the course being discounted. I wonder how this particular person found out what the Royals are paying for the course, anyway. Given that this is a bespoke course, is Cambridge in the habit of giving out that kind of information? Or is this information something that is routinely given by all universities? And who among the Queen's "courtiers" is talking about what is going on inside the Palace?
Old 01-19-2014, 07:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
The original article didn't say anything about students being upset. Apparently, one guy made a comment about the course being discounted. I wonder how this particular person found out what the Royals are paying for the course, anyway. Given that this is a bespoke course, is Cambridge in the habit of giving out that kind of information? Or is this information something that is routinely given by all universities? And who among the Queen's "courtiers" is talking about what is going on inside the Palace?

Hi cinrit,

We'll never know who are the sources of any Royal reporters.

I forgot to mention earlier that Catherine is still being called "Kate Middleton", (by our TV personalities).

Hope we don't get media reports of Prince William and Kate Middleton's activities when they're here on tour.

Best Wishes All, Sun Lion.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think most people here are going to keep calling them Prince William and Kate Middleton, particularly younger Australians. It will be interesting to see how they are referred to during the tour.