The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's great news for William's charities. I hope they're able to raise a lot of money (and awareness) for these worthy causes.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

It was nice of those women to agree to help William's causes. Perhaps this came about from that meeting he had last month with all of those charities. What a coup for William!

Old 11-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Courtier

Princes William and Harry set up charity for poor children

Quote:
Prince William and Prince Harry are believed to have donated a six-figure sum to create a foundation funding causes for underprivileged children and wounded servicemen.

The organisation was only ratified by the Charities Commission last month and will not be in a position to make grants for several years, but the young royals insist it will be a life-long commitment.

The charity - which doesn't have a name yet - will focus on three main areas - young people, sustainable development at home and overseas, and veterans affairs and the welfare of wounded servicemen.

The princes hope to use their profile to raise cash from wealthy private individuals and institutions. They have also invested a 'significant' amount of their own money to help get the charity up and running and will continue to make top-up payments.
This is an excellent cause and I congratulate the Princes for successful launch of the charity. I am sure their father will be able to give them valuable advice how to run and expand it.

I am especially glad to see that one of their main aims is to deal with veterans' affairs and the welfare of wounded soldiers - not surprising, considering their strong ties with military.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks Marsel. I'm impressed with this! Not only are they setting up their first foundation but giving a huge chunk of money out of their own private funds to get it started. Very generous of them. I wish them great success!
Old 11-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

That's wonderful indeed. What a milestone for them to start their own charity, and selfless of them to give of their own money. Six figures! I can't wait to see exactly what they do with this foundation.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Courtier

You're welcome, rchat!
This isn't their foundation though, not Harry's at any rate: don't forget Sentable.

cd255, I'm waiting forward to the actual launch of the charity as well.
They have selected an excellent team of advisers (some of them were or still are working with Prince Charles), so I hope everything will run smoothly.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel View Post
You're welcome, rchat!
This isn't their foundation though, not Harry's at any rate: don't forget Sentable.
Are you sure it's not their foundation Marsel? According to this part it sounds to me like it is:
"The brothers are believed to have donated a six-figure sum to create a foundation funding causes for underprivileged children and wounded servicemen. "

Harry set up Sentabale with someone else, so I don't see why he couldn't have this one too with his brother, unless I misunderstood something.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It sounds wonderful. Very well done to the Princes.
Prince William has Centrepoint, Harry has Sentebale.

I don't think this is their charity, they may have funded it but i don't think it mentions in the article that it was their idea?
They are cleverly using their profiles to get money.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

It seems similar to The Prince's Trust that Charles had set up when he was around their age (and their using some of his advisors). BTW do William and Harry automatically acquire The Prince's Trust charity when Charles passes on? Otherwise what would be done with it?
Old 11-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanaz View Post
It seems similar to The Prince's Trust that Charles had set up when he was around their age (and their using some of his advisors). BTW do William and Harry automatically acquire The Prince's Trust charity when Charles passes on? Otherwise what would be done with it?
I don't think they automatically acquire it.
Maybe one of Williams children or Harry will take control of the charity when Charles passes on or when he becomes king.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanaz View Post

In one of the interviews that Charles has done over the years he was asked something along these lines and he replied something along the lines of that he hoped that one or other of them would take it one eventually.

It might of course become 'The King's Trust' when he becomes King, athough that would probably be seen by some as too political but if possible I would like to see him continue to oversee that charity for the rest of his life as it is just so associated with him.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
It sounds wonderful. Very well done to the Princes.
Prince William has Centrepoint, Harry has Sentebale.

I don't think this is their charity, they may have funded it but i don't think it mentions in the article that it was their idea?
They are cleverly using their profiles to get money.
Then I'm confused because the first sentence of the article says, "Prince William and Prince Harry have used money left to them by their mother to secretly set up a charity."

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's my understanding that it's like an umbrella with charities under it which William and Harry will try to raise funds for. But why would it not be their charity (or foundation), or their idea?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1229667/Princes-William-Harry-set-charity-poor-children.html#ixzz0Y2pORrQy
Old 11-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Charles will probably continue to oversee The Prince's Trust even when King and it could be passed on to William and Harry when he dies. I would hate to see the charity end when Charles passes on as so much time and work (and money) has been put into it. It could be passed on from generation to generation.

It will be interesting to see what they name this new charity. I think it should be a generic name and not have William and Harry's name in it so that it can also be passed on generation to generation. Perhaps The Royal Foundation or The Prince's Foundation, something along those lines?
Old 12-03-2009, 03:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes I remember that too when Charles commented about hoping his sons would take over the charity. So I don't think it's a given that they will. But I think it's a good idea to pass it on especially since it has a history (30+ yeas) associated with it now.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchat View Post
Are you sure it's not their foundation Marsel? According to this part it sounds to me like it is:
"The brothers are believed to have donated a six-figure sum to create a foundation funding causes for underprivileged children and wounded servicemen. "

Harry set up Sentabale with someone else, so I don't see why he couldn't have this one too with his brother, unless I misunderstood something.
I wasn’t suggesting it is wrong in any way for Harry to have a foundation with his brother; I was merely pointing out that this is not the first foundation set up by him: Sentabale (set up with Prince Seeiso of Lesotho) was the first one.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh I see, thanks for clarifying Marsel.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanx everyone for your replies re: Charles' charity. I too think it's a good idea to pass it on to William and/or Harry but we'll have to see what happens. That probably won't be for awhile anyway.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Pics 16.12.2009

Prince William as Patron of the organisation attends an Anniversary
Reception to celebrate Centrepoint's 40th Anniversary, December
16, 2009.
Centrepoint is a charity that provides housing and support to improve
the lives of homeless people between the ages of 16 and 25.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages ** belga **
Old 12-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks iceflower. Aww, he looks kinda bashful in these 2 pictures.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you for the pictures iceflower. And he's an article that goes with those pics.

Prince William reveals his bald patch as he helps celebrate a charity's 40th anniversary | Mail Online

Tags
centrepoint, charities, patronages, prince william, tusk trust