Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to the USA - December 7-9, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are already a lot of royals who met the president Obama and the vice president

In september , King Felipe of Spain and Queen Letizia, The princely couple of Monaco and other royals.

They met the president when they were all at the United Nations in ny. For me, visiting the White House in Washington, D.C. Is a little different.

They met the president when they were all at the United Nations in ny. For me, visiting the White House in Washington, D.C. Is a little different.

I think William meeting Obama is more along the lines of Obama (and other VIPs) expressing their support for the work that William is campaigning for rather than the fact that he is the 3rd in line to the British throne.

Perhaps its a sly subterfuge motion ahead of William's visit to China. Although William will not be in China to promote or campaign against illegal poaching and trading, the White House meeting is a definite public way that the US is backing William's efforts in this arena.

Prince William to meet Obama in the Oval Office on American trip
Prince William has been invited to the Oval Office for a meeting with Barack Obama that has been described by the White House as underscoring the importance of the ‘special relationship’.

The meeting will take place on Monday during the Duke of Cambridge’s three-day trip to the US where he is expected to give a speech on combating illegal trafficking of wildlife at the World Bank Group's International Corruption Hunters Alliance Conference.

We have to remember too that Harry was in Estonia as a representative of the Queen. When William and Kate visit NY and DC, they will be visiting as representatives of the Queen (they always are I think) but mostly they're there to represent their charities and causes. It will not be like William's visit coming up to China where he's primarily representing his monarch. I do think its a big honor that William will meet with the president and vice president and its a reflection, I think, of the recognition of the work that he is doing for illegal poaching and trade.

On the subject of being the heir to the heir, I think we need to remember that William is the odd duck in this respect. Most other 3rd in line to the thrones are still children.

I loved reading the story about the little boy wanting to take Kate home to play with Thomas the Train. I'm willing to bet my last glass of eggnog that Kate will be very well informed and be able to carry of quite an intelligent conversation with him about Thomas. Perhaps George has a Thomas the Train too. :D
First-
So precious!
Second- Oh, I agree with your last paragraph Osipi! And if not, I know someone who is!

Last edited:
British Royals @britishroyals · 2h 2 hours ago
And so it begins! Barriers up in front of the Carlyle ahead of William & Kate's #NYC visit (pic: @livelovelaughvr)
https://twitter.com/britishroyals/status/541268289096142848

I am actually quite pleased with what the American response to Wills and Kate visiting has been. I'm looking forward to following all the events and places they go over the next few days but glad I'm home in my fuzzy slippers with hot tea and a warm Dawg. :D

I think the gesture of receiving the heir-to-the-heir of a country by the US President has everything to do with respect being shown to a valued ally, as is England to America. IMO this gesture has more to do with politics and international relationships than anything else. If the British government requested this meeting as a courtesy to their Head of State, I can't imagine the US government declining. :flowers:

I think the gesture of receiving the heir-to-the-heir of a country by the US President has everything to do with respect being shown to a valued ally, as is England to America. IMO this gesture has more to do with politics and international relationships than anything else. If the British government requested this meeting as a courtesy to their Head of State, I can't imagine the US government declining. :flowers:

If that was the case, wouldn't this visit then be called a state visit? I'm curious and not really overly familiar with how state visits work. I had thought I read somewhere that this meeting was in support for William's work with illegal trafficking of animals.

Of course it does have the elements of the things that you've described in this meeting but I don't believe I've read anywhere where the British government has requested this.

If that was the case, wouldn't this visit then be called a state visit? I'm curious and not really overly familiar with how state visits work. I had thought I read somewhere that this meeting was in support for William's work with illegal trafficking of animals.

Of course it does have the elements of the things that you've described in this meeting but I don't believe I've read anywhere where the British government has requested this.

If it was an official visit (The Queen is invited for State Visits), the President would've invited both William & Catherine to the White House. This is just a meeting between the President and William.

This afternoon's local news says that Obama has been sent Walter Reed Medical Center for tests relating to a continuing sore throat. A CT scan showed that he has acid reflux. The article didn't indicate whether he had been returned to the White House or not. So, I'm guessing he hasn't been kept at Walter Reed.

If it was an official visit (The Queen is invited for State Visits), the President would've invited both William & Catherine to the White House. This is just a meeting between the President and William.

That's what I thought too. Thanks Dman! :flowers:

It's only a state visit if it's a head of state that is visiting. So it's has to be the Queen herself to make it a state visit. Even the Charles & Diana visit to the White House wasn't a state visit.

The President and Mrs Obama seem to have a great personal relationship with the Queen. He talked about the hospitality the Queen showed to Michelle and the girls during a visit to BP letting them go for a carriage ride and is happy to return the hospitality to her grandson. Harry did a WH event with Mrs Obama during his US tour too.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Kates U.S. Trip: : People.com
It might be Princess Kate's first visit to New York City, but one plan she has while she is here involves a longtime passion of hers – helping children in need.

On Monday morning, the expectant mother – who is traveling to the U.S. with her husband, Prince William – will be visiting the Northside Center for Child Development in Harlem – and people there couldn't be more thrilled.

"We are so excited," Nina Fenton, the center's director of development, tells PEOPLE. "She is tremendously supportive for children's mental health. Her coming to see us means a lot."

I do hope the Duchess understands what she is missing. The White House non-political staff, with the help of a gaggle of volunteers and the First Lady ;) and her staff do a spectacular job of decorating the White House for Christmas. They do dozens of rooms and halls with an overarching theme, a ton of handcrafting, a lot of imagination and just a touch or humor here and there. In the same way Kate matches her outfits to events with an eye to detail, well, that's how they do the White House decorating at Christmas. It's right up her alley in how they do it. I'm kinda sad she will miss it because I think she would love it. :flowers:

I do hope the Duchess understands what she is missing. The White House non-political staff, with the help of a gaggle of volunteers and the First Lady ;) and her staff do a spectacular job of decorating the White House for Christmas. They do dozens of rooms and halls with an overarching theme, a ton of handcrafting, a lot of imagination and just a touch or humor here and there. In the same way Kate matches her outfits to events with an eye to detail, well, that's how they do the White House decorating at Christmas. It's right up her alley in how they do it. I'm kinda sad she will miss it because I think she would love it. :flowers:

Oh I think she is sad that she's not able to make it to the White House. I'm guessing her doctors think it would be too much traveling for her.

The White House decorations are always a great sight to see during Christmas. The First Lady and her staff start planning Christmas themes in March and they put so much effort into everything. HGTV will air White House Christmas 2014 on December 14th at 7pm.
White House Christmas 2014 | Show | HGTV

William's main purpose of going to DC is the keynote speech at the World Bank not meeting the President. If Kate came to DC and did some event with the First Lady, I doubt that William's speech would even get a blip of coverage because it would all be about Kate & Michelle.

I'm watching my local news and the just a bit about William and Kate's NYC visit which is interesting since I'm in Atlanta and no where near NYC.

William and Kate charge 15 couples £32k EACH for dinner in New York: 'Cash for access' questions as Royal couple court US super-rich

Read more: William and Kate charge 15 couples £32k EACH for dinner in New York: 'Cash for access' questions as Royal couple court US super-rich* | Daily Mail Online

What a ridiculous contention about "Cash for Access"! It is typical fund raising for charitable causes, of a type that has been carried out for decades, by royals and politicians alike.

What a ridiculous contention about "Cash for Access"! It is typical fund raising for charitable causes, of a type that has been carried out for decades, by royals and politicians alike.

Exactly so. :flowers: So why is it a 'ridiculous contention' when that is exactly what it is, having been done 'for decades' by 'royals and politicians, alike'? I don't see what the objection is to the characterization. :ermm:

Exactly so. :flowers: So why is it a 'ridiculous contention' when that is exactly what it is, having been done 'for decades' by 'royals and politicians, alike'? I don't see what the objection is to the characterization. :ermm:

But in this case, the 'access'' being granted is just the privilege of being in the same room with the Cambridges for a couple of hours with perhaps a bit of chit-chat. No one is going to call William next week and ask for favors or for a vote on a bill.

Cash for access in politics means donating to a campaign in exchange for expectations that a politician will take your calls, introduce bills favorable to your business, or maybe find a job or internship for one of your kids.

Donating to Cambridge charities just gives the donors a thrill and a little touch of royal glamour. Bragging rights, too: "As I was saying to Prince William the other night"...etc

What time do the couple arrive? And what time is their private event tonight?

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to the USA; December 7-9, 2014

They are not going to tell the people times because of the security risk. Once the plane lands, you may have people tweeting about them being on their plane like what happened when Wills went to Memphis.

Going to US, from UK, is a day flight from my experience, leave London in morning and get to US in afternoon. The flight back is usually an overnight one where you leave the US in evening and get to UK next morning.

According to Richard Palmer on Twitter (@RoyalReporter), their plane just left London for NYC.
If my estimates are correct, they will arrive around 4pm local time, that will be 9pm British time and 10pm for the western European time zone.

To me, it seems stupid for Richard Palmer to tweet that. There are only so many transatlantic flight and with the plane tracking available on the Internet. Especially with the threat of ISIS sleeper cell attacks and what happened to the plane in the Ukraine that the royal reporters would keep their lips shut until the plane is on the ground.

To me, it seems stupid for Richard Palmer to tweet that. There are only so many transatlantic flight and with the plane tracking available on the Internet. Especially with the threat of ISIS sleeper cell attacks and what happened to the plane in the Ukraine that the royal reporters would keep their lips shut until the plane is on the ground.

I agree that this is a serious lack of sensible thought on Palmer's side. I wonder if anyone is going to call him out on it? All it takes is one stupid mistake for something to go very, very wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom