Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to the USA - December 7-9, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A very interesting piece of news dropped into my FaceBook feed today. Anyone else get this? :unsure:

Royal dress code sparks indignation in US press
LINK: Royal dress code sparks indignation in US press - Independent.ie

TEXT: "Prince William and Kate can expect to be on the receiving end of plenty of mischief when they arrive in NYC on December 7 for their highly anticipated official three-day visit. The couple, who will, among other things, visit the September 11 Memorial and take in a basketball game in Brooklyn, may be well-versed in dealing with the hardcore tactics of Fleet Street hacks but they, and their staff, are obviously clueless about how to handle the American version of the species who, while not quite as rabid, have their own particular set of quirks.

"For starters, reporters here don't feel as if they have to answer to Buckingham Palace. And they really don't like being told how to dress or behave - two sore spots the Brits managed to hit in one directive, issued last Thursday, when BP laid down a dress code for those covering the trip.

" "Journalists wishing to cover royal engagements, whether in the United Kingdom or abroad, should comply with the dress code on formal occasions out of respect for the guests of The Queen, or any other member of the Royal Family," the palace press office declared. "Smart attire for men includes the wearing of a jacket and tie, and for women a trouser- or skirt-suit. Those wearing jeans or trainers will not be admitted and casually dressed members of the media will be turned away. This also applies to technicians."

Reaction was swift and biting. "First of all, what are "trainers" or, for that matter, "technicians"?" asked NY magazine. "And second, why should the United States' press corps - who barely bother to brush the muffin crumbs off their polo shirts before lobbing questions at the president of the United States - schlep extra pieces of clothing to work just so they can make smalltalk with a (perfectly nice-seeming) British air ambulance pilot-in-training and a former chain-store accessories buyer?" "

OUCH! :cool: It gets more amusing further into the article.

Didn't they just hire an American as their Press Officer? Not an auspicious beginning, unless this article is totally bogus. Could be. :flowers:

:previous:
I find this to be right on, just look at the way people dress these days, sometimes it is so pathetic and down right dirty. You really at times can't tell if some one is homeless or not because of the way people dress. Just going to church I have seen women letting it all hang out, teenagers with their bare butts showing while the pants are almost down to the ankles, I think this is partly to blame by the media who portray women dressing like street walkers, so yes the media should be held accountable when doing an interview or even just following royals around the world. Doesn't hurt to wash, have clean clothes, pull the pants and use a belt, women cover up the darn boobs for once, we all know they are there so it doesn't need to be seen everywhere.

sorry mods if this is off topic but I agree with the article.

Am I the only one who remembers the massive press outrage when the Women's Lacrosse team wore flip-flops to meet The President. The US press screamed bloody murder, and practically flogged the lady athletes. They have a lot of gall crying indignation now. They just made themselves look like massive hypocrites.

A very interesting piece of news dropped into my FaceBook feed today. Anyone else get this? :unsure:

TEXT: "Prince William and Kate can expect to be on the receiving end of plenty of mischief when they arrive in NYC on December 7 for their highly anticipated official three-day visit. The couple, who will, among other things, visit the September 11 Memorial and take in a basketball game in Brooklyn, may be well-versed in dealing with the hardcore tactics of Fleet Street hacks but they, and their staff, are obviously clueless about how to handle the American version of the species who, while not quite as rabid, have their own particular set of quirks.

"For starters, reporters here don't feel as if they have to answer to Buckingham Palace. And they really don't like being told how to dress or behave - two sore spots the Brits managed to hit in one directive, issued last Thursday, when BP laid down a dress code for those covering the trip.

" "Journalists wishing to cover royal engagements, whether in the United Kingdom or abroad, should comply with the dress code on formal occasions out of respect for the guests of The Queen, or any other member of the Royal Family," the palace press office declared. "Smart attire for men includes the wearing of a jacket and tie, and for women a trouser- or skirt-suit. Those wearing jeans or trainers will not be admitted and casually dressed members of the media will be turned away. This also applies to technicians."

Reaction was swift and biting. "First of all, what are "trainers" or, for that matter, "technicians"?" asked NY magazine. "And second, why should the United States' press corps - who barely bother to brush the muffin crumbs off their polo shirts before lobbing questions at the president of the United States - schlep extra pieces of clothing to work just so they can make smalltalk with a (perfectly nice-seeming) British air ambulance pilot-in-training and a former chain-store accessories buyer?" "

Didn't they just hire an American as their Press Officer? Not an auspicious beginning, unless this article is totally bogus. Could be. :flowers:

we've discussed this on previous pages.

What if Cambridge baby #2 decides December is a better month to come and does so while they are in the USA? Will an eventual high ranking member of the royal family be American and British?

As I understand it, there are two things that could/will prevent the future Prince/ss from being a US citizen. One: the law of jus soli in the US does not include foreign diplomats. I could make a case for why the Duchess fits that bill, but I could see why she doesn't. Two: under the British National Law, children born to British parents who are overseas on Crown Service are British citizens.

Now, I'm no expert in nationality laws, particularly foreign nations, but this is just a guess. As we all hope that the baby will not be born that early.

And for those wondering, if they do go to China and the baby is born there, China also operates under jus sanguinis, so all will be well.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who remembers the massive press outrage when the Women's Lacrosse team wore flip-flops to meet The President. The US press screamed bloody murder, and practically flogged the lady athletes. They have a lot of gall crying indignation now. They just made themselves look like massive hypocrites.

Agreed. It really isn't too much to ask that the media dresses appropriately for the function they're covering. The indignation is laughable at best and embarrassing at worst. I doubt any of them would show up to a press conference that President Obama was holding wearing an AC/DC t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers. It's called respect - something that these 'outraged' journalists should look up in a dictionary.

I'm also shaking my head at the quote from the article Lady Nimue posted which reads to the effect of "what are trainers anyway?" A quick Google search would answer the question for them - they just want to complain for the sake of it. Ridiculous, the whole thing.

What if Cambridge baby #2 decides December is a better month to come and does so while they are in the USA? Will an eventual high ranking member of the royal family be American and British?

As the baby isn't due for quite some time after that, I really hope that isn't the case. The Duchess is due in April. The baby would be in a fight for its life if that happened, and speculation on that probably isn't positive.

Exactly. You don't have a stillbirth until the 24th week, anything before that is called a miscarriage because there is an almost zero percent chance of survival during that time.

Catherine would be around 19/20 weeks during the US tour. You can fill in the blanks.

Last edited:

Much ado about nothing. Neither BP, or anyone on W&K's staff sent out rules on how the press should dress. The Senate Periodical Press Gallery, sent out an email reminding reporters on the rules of etiquette while covering Congress. The email also mentioned W&K's upcoming visit, and included a link to the media information page on the BP website (which mentions attire for the press when covering formal events).

The royals have been to the U.S. many times, so I have no idea why some in the press have decided to make a big deal now.

Last edited:
The easy solution to this problem maybe would be for Kate to give birth at the British Embassy. I believe that area is considered British soil. There is a British embassies both in DC and in NYC.

There are consulates in New York and other big cities, the embassies are in Washington, D.C.

Where are they going to stay, the consulate?

In LA, they stayed at the consulate. NY would definitely have a consulate.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Exactly. You don't have a stillbirth until the 24th week, anything before that is called a miscarriage because there is an almost zero percent chance of survival during that time.

Catherine would be around 19/20 weeks during the US tour. You can fill in the blanks.

I hope to all that is sacred that something like this doesn't occur. Losing a child is the most tragic and devastating thing to happen to a woman, and I won't wish that upon anyone, especially Catherine. That said, let's keep our thoughts in a more positive direction.

*in your dreams* ! Anywhere the Duchess is expected to give birth [hospital/ hotel] will be temporarily designated British soverign territory, so the child will be 'born on British soil'..

I can't remember which foreign Royal was born in a Claridges hotel bedroom [during the last war, i think], but the birth place was duly designated territory of their country, so their honour, and law was satisfied.

If I remember well it was Prince Alexandre of Serbie

*in your dreams* ! Anywhere the Duchess is expected to give birth [hospital/ hotel] will be temporarily designated British soverign territory, so the child will be 'born on British soil'..

I can't remember which foreign Royal was born in a Claridges hotel bedroom [during the last war, i think], but the birth place was duly designated territory of their country, so their honour, and law was satisfied.

The U.S. government would face incredible backlash if they did this, so they never would.

In any event, the odds of her giving birth in New York next week are about as great as my winning the Lotto. However, wherever the baby is born, it will hardly matter.

Kate Middleton and Prince William to stay in luxury New York hotel with history of hosting A-listers - Mirror Online
This is the stunning hotel that will be Kate and William’s home from home next weekend when they arrive in New York for their three day trip.

The royal couple will use the Carlyle Hotel on Manhattan’s Madison Avenue as their base as they carry out official engagements in the US from Sunday December 7 to Tuesday December 9.

The swish Art Deco hotel is a favourite of royals and A-list celebrities.

Princess Diana stayed there in December 1995 when she visited New York for the United Cerebral Palsy’s annual dinner and Prince Charles and Camilla also used the hotel when they stopped in the city in November 2005.

The U.S. government would face incredible backlash if they did this, so they never would.

In any event, the odds of her giving birth in New York next week are about as great as my winning the Lotto. However, wherever the baby is born, it will hardly matter.

Sorry, what would the US object to? I imagine in a pinch they wouldn't have any problem deputizing soil, as it were, for a royal birth.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to the USA; December 7-9, 2014

A baby born abroad to UK citizens is a UK citizen by descent. Babies born to UK citizens on Crown Service such as diplomats are given UK citizenship other than descent which is the same as if born in the UK.

In the US, fewer than 1 % of babies are born before 28 weeks. So the odds are that she is not going to have the baby in the US.

I was about to say that it shouldn't be a problem to temporarily declare a hospital (or even just the room itself) to be international ground for the duration of a labour in such an event, then I remembered we were discussing the U.S.

Given how Obama seems to face backlash if he so much as sneezes I can see such an event facing some backlash. However, as such a delivery would be a hugely emergent situation, I doubt the worry would be about were Kate gave birth or the citizenship of the baby.

Princess Kate's New York City Wish List : People.com
When Princess Kate and Prince William arrive in New York City Dec. 7 for a three-day trip, they'll embark on a hectic schedule that leaves little time for sightseeing.

Still, a friend of the royal family tells PEOPLE, Kate, is hoping to catch some of New York's top tourist attractions. "Somebody told me that Kate would like to see the Statue of Liberty or the Rockettes while she is here," the friend says.

Soon after arriving at their base at the swanky Carlyle hotel on the city's Upper East Side, Kate and William will attend a private dinner with the leading lights of the Royal Foundation, before a packed day Monday that ends with a trip to Brooklyn to watch a Brooklyn Nets basketball game.

I love NY at the holiday time, the lights, the excitement in the air, snow, the chestnuts being sold on the street corners, I really hope she gets to see some of the city before she goes home. Rockefeller Center is amazing with the tree and everything around it....wish I was there!:)

I was about to say that it shouldn't be a problem to temporarily declare a hospital (or even just the room itself) to be international ground for the duration of a labour in such an event, then I remembered we were discussing the U.S.

Given how Obama seems to face backlash if he so much as sneezes I can see such an event facing some backlash. However, as such a delivery would be a hugely emergent situation, I doubt the worry would be about were Kate gave birth or the citizenship of the baby.

There would be no backlash. All that would need to happen would be to have the baby born directly into a diplomatic pouch. This really is a non-issue.

I love NY at the holiday time, the lights, the excitement in the air, snow, the chestnuts being sold on the street corners, I really hope she gets to see some of the city before she goes home. Rockefeller Center is amazing with the tree and everything around it....wish I was there!:)

Oh yes, me too! It looks amazing then.
(I love to drive into the city at that time just to see the window displays; I'm going next Saturday to take part in Santa Con)!

I read that the tickets for the dinner at the Met haven't sold very well though.
Can't say I'm surprised; the tickets are so expensive, and why would anyone imagine a bunch of jaded New Yorkers would care about benefiting St. Andrews University? Bet they'll have to cut the prices if they want a sold-out event).

The Sunday Times said that the tickets were almost sold out.

That sounds like a more credible source than Sebastian Shakepeare! (Where I read that lots of tickets remain).

I stopped reading when I saw "Princess Kate". If a source can't get the simple things correct, the rest is probably baloney too.

It's People, so it's one of those consider the source things. OTOH, I'll take "Princess Kate" over "Kate Middleton" anyday.

I stopped reading when I saw "Princess Kate". If a source can't get the simple things correct, the rest is probably baloney too.

But she is a princess, just not Princess Kate. I really would not expect them to get The Princess William bit.

Diana was called Princess Di or Princess Diana for several years on the headlines and covers of magazines and newspapers. That title was never correct either. Princess Kate is way less annoying than a paper printing Prince William and Kate Middleton to tour the U.S. when you could have just used The Cambridges or Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

:previous:The media never gets it right anymore, in fact it gets worse with time, they are on their own when it comes to a person's title or name....sad and sometimes it is disrespectful to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom