Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to the USA - December 7-9, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who wants to bet that Wills will bust out the dad jeans for the NBA game?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
You know he will and he'll be wearing the same belt as always.:lol:

Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt · 30m 30 minutes ago
William and Kate's trip to the States will be funded 3 ways -- public money (Sovereign Grant); their charitable foundation; +St Andrews Uni

Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt · 59m 59 minutes ago
.@univofstandrews says after costs they hope gala dinner will raise a 7 figure sum for student scholarships + research and teaching money.

Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt · 1h 1 hour ago
.@univofstandrews says their contribution to William and Kate's USA trip comes from the general budget for their 600th Benefit Dinner in NY.

This is 600th Anniversary of founding of St Andrews and William is Patron of that.

The Duke of Cambridge and World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim to Open the Third Meeting of the World Bank’s International Corruption Hunters Alliance
WASHINGTON, November 17, 2014 - The World Bank Group will host the third Biennial Meeting of the International Corruption Hunters Alliance (ICHA 2014) between December 8- 10, 2014 at its headquarters in Washington, D.C. As part of his work as United for Wildlife President, the Duke of Cambridge will join World Bank Group President, Jim Yong Kim at the opening session to address more than 300 corruption experts, heads and senior members of anti-corruption and prosecuting agencies; and representatives of international organizations from more than 120 countries.

LeBron James greet Prince William and Kate Middleton at NBA match in New York | Daily Mail Online
Basketball bosses are 'beside themselves with excitement' at Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge attending an NBA game, MailOnline has learned.

The Duke and Duchess will watch the Cleveland Cavaliers take on the Brooklyn Nets during their three-day visit to New York next month.

The decision by the couple to attend the match means they should be able to watch LeBron James, currently America's biggest sports star, in action.

NBA brass believe that the image of the royal couple at the match at Brooklyn's Barclays Center will be shown around the world, helping the sport gain new fans.

Last edited:
This should be a fun trip but very busy for them. I bet little George will go with his nanny to Bucklebury.

The 'Daily Beast' is satirical is it not ? So presumably this article is too ?

Is it? I honestly didn't know. Lol. It seems reasonable enough that they would be expected to not wear jeans and trainers at fancy events, etc.

On second look, they seem to carry legitimate news articles as well as satirical ones. I'm not sure that they're a 100% satirical news site such as The Onion is.

Last edited:
I'm not completely certain either [Hence the Question marks] Perhaps a US member might enlighten us ?

It does seem a little far fetched to me. I do recall, however, times that there have been pictures taken and published with royals at a reception holding a drink. Many royals too have been photographed while tasting food etc.

It would be a good idea though that when following high profile people and photographing them that the press do look at least a bit respectable and professional.

Is it? I honestly didn't know. Lol. It seems reasonable enough that they would be expected to not wear jeans and trainers at fancy events, etc.

On second look, they seem to carry legitimate news articles as well as satirical ones. I'm not sure that they're a 100% satirical news site such as The Onion is.

According to their website under "About Us" they write:
"The Daily Beast delivers award-winning original reporting and sharp opinion from big personalities in the arenas of politics, pop-culture, world news and more. Fiercely independent and armed with irreverent intelligence, The Daily Beast now reaches more than 20 million readers per month. John Avlon is Editor-in-Chief and Mike Dyer is Chief Digital Officer. The Daily Beast is based in New York and is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IACI)."

Not satirical, more irreverent.

It does seem a little far fetched to me. I do recall, however, times that there have been pictures taken and published with royals at a reception holding a drink. Many royals too have been photographed while tasting food etc.

Yes, you are correct. Especially during a toast, etc. Though I can't think of a photo where a Royal is actually drinking or eating something during the picture.

It would be a good idea though that when following high profile people and photographing them that the press do look at least a bit respectable and professional.

Agreed. And the point about not standing between the Royal and the person(s) they're supposed to be meeting seems painfully obvious.

I think we'll put this one down as satire. Lol.

According to their website under "About Us" they write:
"The Daily Beast delivers award-winning original reporting and sharp opinion from big personalities in the arenas of politics, pop-culture, world news and more. Fiercely independent and armed with irreverent intelligence, The Daily Beast now reaches more than 20 million readers per month. John Avlon is Editor-in-Chief and Mike Dyer is Chief Digital Officer. The Daily Beast is based in New York and is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IACI)."

Not satirical, more irreverent.

Thanks for that. It's hard to keep these 'news' sites straight these days. -_-

The "Daily Beast" is satirical the same way The Daily Mail is, aka a pompous publication spouting off malarky to their readers.

I did get a good laugh at you guys comparing it to The Onion. A well deserved insult for the Newsweek offshoot. LOL

Previous: Glad I could provide some humour at least! :p

Photographers reminded to 'dress up' if they wish to photograph Will & Kate in the US.

Dress Up, Journalists Covering Will and Kate Middleton's Vist To USA Told By Buckingham Palace - The Daily Beast

the "outrage" from Americans crying "but our 1st amendment" is legitimately making me shake with anger. As if a journalist would be allowed to show up to work in jeans any other time? But somehow, when the big bad former mummy the Palace tells us we have to look nice, suddenly that's a problem that our 1st amendment protects us from? I've studied poli sci for years and focused on Constitutional Law for a year. The blatant stupidity around the constitution is so insanely frustrating to me.

Of course journalists should be dress professionally when they're on the job! Part of your job is to look nice!

And as far as I can tell, the page on the royal website is a general thing that has been there for a while. It is not directed at Americans for this specific trip (unless it is a new thing added to the website).

The good news is that this seems to be a very small blip on the radar. I haven't seen it on any respectable news site, but then again I haven't been all over. (and goodness knows American media outlets love to pick up and run with a dumb and misconstrued story).

Previous: I did some Google searching to see where else I could find it and I did find a few other websites, but nothing major or reputable. I honestly wasn't aware of the dailybeasts's reputation as a news source before I posted it. I saw the article on a Duke & Duchess of Cambridge fan page on Facebook and just figured I'd share it. I didn't mean to stir up such bad feelings though, so for that, I'm sorry!

And as far as I can tell, the page on the royal website is a general thing that has been there for a while. It is not directed at Americans for this specific trip (unless it is a new thing added to the website).

The implication from the article was that it had been sent out to those covering their stay in New York in a memo. Though comparing what's written there with what is written on the Palace website, I'm thinking that they perhaps just wrote the article on the guidelines from the site and made up the bit about the memo.

Previous: I did some Google searching to see where else I could find it and I did find a few other websites, but nothing major or reputable. I honestly wasn't aware of the dailybeasts's reputation as a news source before I posted it. I saw the article on a Duke & Duchess of Cambridge fan page on Facebook and just figured I'd share it. I didn't mean to stir up such bad feelings though, so for that, I'm sorry!

The implication from the article was that it had been sent out to those covering their stay in New York in a memo. Though comparing what's written there with what is written on the Palace website, I'm thinking that they perhaps just wrote the article on the guidelines from the site and made up the bit about the memo.

I actually saw it on a different royal blog, so don't worry! You're not directly responsible for my anger, lol.

Yeah, and I missed the part where it says: Journalists wishing to cover Royal engagements, whether in the United Kingdom or abroad, should comply with the dress code on formal occasions out of respect for the guests of The Queen, or any other member of the Royal Family.

Emphasis on FORMAL.

This is clearly just a case of some American "journalists" being mad someone foreign told them what to do. It's so sad to see outrage over something that is so common.

I am interested to see what the American press will do when Will & Kate show up. lol, I expect they'll be dressed quite appropriately for the various events.

The main focus with be the Ivory Trade. USA and China are the biggest markets for ivory

AFRICAN ELEPHANT IVORY

IMPORT

It is illegal to import into the United States of America any item containing African-elephant ivory for commercial purposes.

However, some items containing African-elephant ivory — including musical instruments and items in an inheritance or a household move — may be imported for non-commercial purposes, but ONLY IF:
  1. The item is accompanied by a document from the exporting country attesting that it was acquired before 1976 (by the current or previous owner);
  2. It has not been bought or sold since February 25, 2014.

Once in the United States, these items cannot subsequently be bought or sold.
SALE & EXPORT

Items consisting of African-elephant ivory that are already in the United States can be sold within the country or exported only if they are accompanied by documentation attesting either that:
  1. The ivory was harvested prior to 1976; OR
  2. It was imported prior to 1976, before relevant CITES regulations had been enacted.

ASIAN ELEPHANT IVORY

IMPORT, EXPORT, SALE ACROSS STATE LINES

An item Asian-elephant ivory can be imported, exported, and sold across state lines ONLY IF it meets all of these criteria:
  1. It has not been repaired or modified with ivory or any other part of a federally protected species (as defined by the Endangered Species Act) since 1973;
  2. It is at least 100 years old;
  3. It was EITHER imported prior to 1982; or after 1982 through one of 13 ports specifically designated for antiques; OR the item was manufactured in the United States from legally imported ivory.

SALE WITHIN STATES

An antique containing Asian-elephant ivory can be sold within a state ONLY IF it is accompanied by documentation from CITES certifying that it was imported prior to 1975.

the "outrage" from Americans crying "but our 1st amendment" is legitimately making me shake with anger. As if a journalist would be allowed to show up to work in jeans any other time? But somehow, when the big bad former mummy the Palace tells us we have to look nice, suddenly that's a problem that our 1st amendment protects us from? I've studied poli sci for years and focused on Constitutional Law for a year. The blatant stupidity around the constitution is so insanely frustrating to me.

Of course journalists should be dress professionally when they're on the job! Part of your job is to look nice!

The good news is that this seems to be a very small blip on the radar. I haven't seen it on any respectable news site, but then again I haven't been all over. (and goodness knows American media outlets love to pick up and run with a dumb and misconstrued story).

We Americans forget that not everyone does things the same way we do. We like to isolate ourselves and hold ourselves to a different standard than the rest of the world. :bang: We'll tell you what to do, but don't tell us what to do.

Don't get me wrong, I love America, I have a problem with some Americans.

We Americans forget that not everyone does things the same way we do. We like to isolate ourselves and hold ourselves to a different standard than the rest of the world. :bang: We'll tell you what to do, but don't tell us what to do.

Don't get me wrong, I love America, I have a problem with some Americans.

My sentiments exactly.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I've watched the swearing in of an American president, and even the participants, [let alone the journalists covering the event, and spectators] seem congenitally unable to dress formally, even for the most solemn event in their national calendar !
It is no surprise then, that they insist upon their'right' to dress badly, in sportswear...

As a former member of the press...I do take some offense that we don't know how to dress for the occasion. I've covered many events as a producer and/or off camera reporter with a photographer and trust me, if the event is black tie we dress accordingly. Maybe not a tux, but nice suit for the photog and a cocktail dress for me. If the press release about the event requests a certain type of dress then we follow it even if it may not be the most comfortable for hauling around heavy equipment and being under the lights.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

As a former member of the press...I do take some offense that we don't know how to dress for the occasion. I've covered many events as a producer and/or off camera reporter with a photographer and trust me, if the event is black tie we dress accordingly.

I'm sure you do, but really, sometimes it is shocking to see what some consider appropriate attire for weddings, funerals, or other events.

(Our workplace recently had to adopt a dress code; you'd think that wouldn't be necessary among adults but it was!)

This may seem an odd question but I'm going to ask it anyways. Its all over the place here in the States and I was wondering if it was similar in other countries. Do you have signs in establishments that say:

No shoes
No shirt
No service

Just wondering. :D

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail
No new guidelines issued by palace. Only an old reference on BP website which advises people to dress smartly-and that's not rocket science

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently just flight of fancy on the part of the American press

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom