Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to the USA - December 7-9, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd just like to make one comment here about the this article. Of course, the Empire State Building was lit up in red, white and blue and it most probably as in welcome to Will & Kate but it is hardly something new. Those are the same colors as our stars and stripes and IIRC, it was also lit up that way for the 9/11 anniversary.

I would think that the Cambridges' found it a pretty warm welcome though. From some pictures that I saw, there were a lot of people waiting to greet them at the airport waving the Union Jack.

Empire State BldgVerified account ‏@EmpireStateBldg
We welcome Their #Royal Highnesses The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge by sparkling in red, white & blue. #RoyalVisitUSA

https://twitter.com/EmpireStateBldg/status/541713456177872896

There wasn't THAT much love shown by New Yorkers to William and Kate. There were a reported 15 to 20 people (besides the Press) standing behind the barricades in front of the Carlyle Hotel.

Only shows how smart New Yorkers are. The Cambridges were visible for - 30 seconds? :lol:

William is taking the shuttle from LaGuardia to DC's Reagan National Airport. Reagan National is the smaller DC airport just south of the Capital on the Potomac. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4VrRXjIEAAKieA.jpg

Red tie, blue shirt. ;)

OH, BTW, Re: security. We've been having protest marches across the nation for a couple of weeks now. The issue is perceived excessive force used by police when making arrests, just FYI. Some violence here and there and disruption of traffic on highways, but, there may be protests at the BB game tonight. http://www.trust.org/item/20141208005517-yh3i1/

Last edited:
First Lady of New York starry-eyed about US visit of Duke and Duchess of Cambridge - Telegraph
She is a black former lesbian poetess who celebrated her husband’s triumph in New York’s mayoral elections a year ago by joining him on stage to the song lyrics “we'll never be royals ... that kind of luxe just ain't for us".

The choice of “Royals” by Lorde as a victory anthem reflected the left-wing anti-privilege campaign run by Bill de Blasio, a liberal Democrat, and Chirlane McCray, his wife, confidante and closest adviser.

So in many ways, it will be an unlikely double act when Ms McCray, an avowed foe of the establishment, hosts the Duchess of Cambridge on a trip to a child development centre in Harlem on Monday.

United for Wildlife ‏@united4wildlife 39 secs40 seconds ago

Live stream The Duke of Cambridge discussing illegal wildlife trafficking today at 4PM GMT: http://bit.ly/1yHsvVd

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a good thing that Kate left behind her Tiger on a gold leash back in London ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I was wondering... Were there many people waiting for W&K?

I haven't read any reports on the exact numbers, but reporters on Twitter were saying it was a nice sized crowd.

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 3m 3 minutes ago
VP Biden & his wife Dr Jill Biden are giving Prince William a tour of the White House before he meets with President Obama #RoyalVisitUSA

Max Foster @MaxFosterCNN · 48m 48 minutes ago
Royal gala dinner at Met tomorrow is a sell out - all 450 seats. Renee Fleming will perform, not Sting. Princess Eugenie expected.

Chirlane McCray @Chirlane · 1h 1 hour ago
Ready to talk mental health and child
development with The Duchess of Cambridge.

Last edited:
Hopefully, the whole burned downed by the British won't be mentioned during the White House tour

Hopefully, the whole burned downed by the British won't be mentioned during the White House tour

I could just imagine

Biden "Historical Fact did you know that in 1812 The British Burnt down The White House"

Ha, you gave me a chuckle:) the bidens are very warm people, So maybe they will hlp with his nerves if he is nervous, I know I would be

The president meets a future king: Prince William flies to Washington to shake hands with Obama at the White House | Daily Mail Online
Prince William has arrived in Washington, D.C., to meet President Barack Obama in the White House.

The future king left his pregnant wife Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, in New York - where the couple arrived Sunday night to a rock star welcome.

Prince William - who is second in line for the British throne - will meet with Obama in the Oval Office this afternoon.

The two have met before - but never on Obama's home turf. The last time the two met was in London.

William is also slated to give a speech on how to stop poaching and wildlife trafficking at the World Bank.

Last edited:
RKD @RoyalKateDebate · 16m 16 minutes ago
William forgot to check what gender George was!

RKD @RoyalKateDebate · 17m 17 minutes ago
William told Obama they were so excited about George they forgot to check his gender. Plus next year will be 'interesting'

RKD @RoyalKateDebate · 16m 16 minutes ago
"Oh it's a boy" Will on George's birth

Pregnant Kate arrives at Harlem children's center to wrap presents with disadvantaged children on her first solo engagement in New York City as William heads to the White House* | Daily Mail Online
The Duchess of Cambridge was an English rose in Harlem today as she visited a childrens’ project on the first official engagement of her three-day trip to New York.

While her husband, Prince William, flew on a scheduled flight to Washington, D.C., where he is due to issue a keynote speech on the illegal wildlife trade and meet President Obama, Kate, who is around five months pregnant, is touring the Northside Center for Child Development with the First Lady of the City, writer and poet Chirlane McCray.

The Duchess was wearing a black and white trimmed Washington coat by British label Goat, costing £680 ($1,060), with black gloves, tights and high heels as she strode into the center, to be greeted by officials and the Mayor's wife herself.

Our respective countries were at War.. it was completely normal and expected behaviour under that circumstance. Do you imagine American troops wouldn't have torched and looted Buckingham Palace if they'd had half a chance ?

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to the USA; December 7-9, 2014

It looks as if there's lots of enthusiasm in New York at the moment. Catherine defiantly does look fuller, and I can see her bump rather clearly in some angles.

I went to New York a few years ago now, and had an amazing time. I went around Christmas time as well. I found the people there to be very friendly and welcoming. Whilst I was there I also went on a boat tour around Manhattan to see sights like the Statue of Liberty. I picked up the vibe of the city there quite quickly and thought I fitted in well.

It looks as if there's lots of enthusiasm in New York at the moment. Catherine defiantly does look fuller, and I can see her bump rather clearly in some angles.

I went to New York a few years ago now, and had an amazing time. I went around Christmas time as well. I found the people there to be very friendly and welcoming. Whilst I was there I also went on a boat tour around Manhattan to see sights like the Statue of Liberty. I picked up the vibe of the city there quite quickly and thought I fitted in well.

We had a similar experience in the summer of 2013. Little old ladies always took the time to ask us on the subway where we were going and advised us of the best routes to take. It's busy and would require much more time than we had allotted to see everything, but it was a wonderful experience.

I went to New York a few years ago now, and had an amazing time. I went around Christmas time as well. I found the people there to be very friendly and welcoming.

They are!
I don't know where this POV comes from, that New Yorkers are rude and nasty.
(Or that the French are, for that matter).

I go to NYC all the time, and have never had the slightest problem with anyone! People go out of their way to be kind and helpful, imo.

(I had similar experiences in France; most people are very nice).

I forgot The Royal Variety Performance is on TV tonight, I just went from reading about W&K in the US and looked up at the TV to find them laughing their rear ends off at Jack Whitehall making jokes about being at school with Kate. William particularly was loving it. At least they can laugh at themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom