The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #141  
Old 12-06-2014, 05:18 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,395
UPDATED: Full itinerary for Duchess Kate and Prince William's NYC trip released
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 12-06-2014, 06:23 AM
PetticoatLane's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: A Small Town, United Kingdom
Posts: 381
Do other heirs to the throne meet with Obama when they go to Washington? (I know William's the heir to the heir but you get what I mean).

That'll be both William and Harry welcomed to the White House, in Harry's case by the First Lady. Pretty good going.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 12-06-2014, 06:48 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,395
I think the British royals get pride of place in America. For William to meet with both the President and Vice President is a big deal.

I can think of some reigning monarchs who would love that opportunity
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 12-06-2014, 07:00 AM
melina premiere's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sassenage, France
Posts: 2,881
There are already a lot of royals who met the president Obama and the vice president


In september , King Felipe of Spain and Queen Letizia, The princely couple of Monaco and other royals.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 12-06-2014, 07:19 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,395
I was specifically referring to royals who are not reigning nor are the heirs to the respective countries.

I think this a big deal for William to meet with both the President and Vice-president and he still isn't even heir to the throne
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 12-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Tiggersk8's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Evansville, Canada
Posts: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I was specifically referring to royals who are not reigning nor are the heirs to the respective countries.

I think this a big deal for William to meet with both the President and Vice-president and he still isn't even heir to the throne

It is indeed. I mean, I thought it was odd Harry addressed a Country's Government (during his trip to Estonia) before William did. Especially since William is the Heir and Future King after all. This a huge step on his learning curve as a Senior Royal and more than a wee bit overdue IMO.


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
__________________
Recycle Life ~ Be An Organ Donor!!
Recieved my Kidney Transplant on December 10th, 1993 and will be forever grateful to the family of my donor for the greatest earliest Christmas Present I've ever been given
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 12-06-2014, 08:08 AM
PetticoatLane's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: A Small Town, United Kingdom
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I was specifically referring to royals who are not reigning nor are the heirs to the respective countries.

I think this a big deal for William to meet with both the President and Vice-president and he still isn't even heir to the throne
I have to agree. I couldn't think of many other heirs being invited to meet Obama at the White House, let alone 3rd in line.

I'm sure it's appreciated by William and the whole family. Only small disappointment is that Kate will be staying in NY, but she's doing lots of worthwhile things too.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 12-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Nice Nofret's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 515
well - if some royal is there on behave of the Queen, they are treated as such.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 12-06-2014, 08:54 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
It is indeed. I mean, I thought it was odd Harry addressed a Country's Government (during his trip to Estonia) before William did. Especially since William is the Heir and Future King after all. This a huge step on his learning curve as a Senior Royal and more than a wee bit overdue IMO.
We have to remember too that Harry was in Estonia as a representative of the Queen. When William and Kate visit NY and DC, they will be visiting as representatives of the Queen (they always are I think) but mostly they're there to represent their charities and causes. It will not be like William's visit coming up to China where he's primarily representing his monarch. I do think its a big honor that William will meet with the president and vice president and its a reflection, I think, of the recognition of the work that he is doing for illegal poaching and trade.

On the subject of being the heir to the heir, I think we need to remember that William is the odd duck in this respect. Most other 3rd in line to the thrones are still children.

I loved reading the story about the little boy wanting to take Kate home to play with Thomas the Train. I'm willing to bet my last glass of eggnog that Kate will be very well informed and be able to carry of quite an intelligent conversation with him about Thomas. Perhaps George has a Thomas the Train too.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 12-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
It is indeed. I mean, I thought it was odd Harry addressed a Country's Government (during his trip to Estonia) before William did. Especially since William is the Heir and Future King after all. This a huge step on his learning curve as a Senior Royal and more than a wee bit overdue IMO.


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Prince William addressed the Australian parliament back in April 2014. Harry's trip to Estonia was in May I think


Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 12-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Frelinghighness's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England, United States
Posts: 3,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
There are already a lot of royals who met the president Obama and the vice president


In september , King Felipe of Spain and Queen Letizia, The princely couple of Monaco and other royals.
They met the president when they were all at the United Nations in ny. For me, visiting the White House in Washington, D.C. Is a little different.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 12-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
They met the president when they were all at the United Nations in ny. For me, visiting the White House in Washington, D.C. Is a little different.
I think William meeting Obama is more along the lines of Obama (and other VIPs) expressing their support for the work that William is campaigning for rather than the fact that he is the 3rd in line to the British throne.

Perhaps its a sly subterfuge motion ahead of William's visit to China. Although William will not be in China to promote or campaign against illegal poaching and trading, the White House meeting is a definite public way that the US is backing William's efforts in this arena.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 12-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,395
Prince William to meet Obama in the Oval Office on American trip
Quote:
Prince William has been invited to the Oval Office for a meeting with Barack Obama that has been described by the White House as underscoring the importance of the ‘special relationship’.

The meeting will take place on Monday during the Duke of Cambridge’s three-day trip to the US where he is expected to give a speech on combating illegal trafficking of wildlife at the World Bank Group's International Corruption Hunters Alliance Conference.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 12-06-2014, 02:06 PM
roseroyal's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rose Bush, United States
Posts: 5,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
We have to remember too that Harry was in Estonia as a representative of the Queen. When William and Kate visit NY and DC, they will be visiting as representatives of the Queen (they always are I think) but mostly they're there to represent their charities and causes. It will not be like William's visit coming up to China where he's primarily representing his monarch. I do think its a big honor that William will meet with the president and vice president and its a reflection, I think, of the recognition of the work that he is doing for illegal poaching and trade.

On the subject of being the heir to the heir, I think we need to remember that William is the odd duck in this respect. Most other 3rd in line to the thrones are still children.

I loved reading the story about the little boy wanting to take Kate home to play with Thomas the Train. I'm willing to bet my last glass of eggnog that Kate will be very well informed and be able to carry of quite an intelligent conversation with him about Thomas. Perhaps George has a Thomas the Train too.
First-
So precious!
Second- Oh, I agree with your last paragraph Osipi! And if not, I know someone who is!
__________________
One of my friends is fundraising for and hoping to adopt at least 2 of the 3 of these special needs orphans. Please give/ help now!
Go to Reece's Rainbow, and donate torwards the adoption of Holland, Starr, and Grace- Ann!
My avatar is my RH- that is the exact RH I have in my heart constantly!
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 12-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,434
British Royals @britishroyals · 2h 2 hours ago
And so it begins! Barriers up in front of the Carlyle ahead of William & Kate's #NYC visit (pic: @livelovelaughvr)
https://twitter.com/britishroyals/st...68289096142848
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 12-06-2014, 02:43 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
British Royals @britishroyals · 2h 2 hours ago
And so it begins! Barriers up in front of the Carlyle ahead of William & Kate's #NYC visit (pic: @livelovelaughvr)
https://twitter.com/britishroyals/st...68289096142848
I am actually quite pleased with what the American response to Wills and Kate visiting has been. I'm looking forward to following all the events and places they go over the next few days but glad I'm home in my fuzzy slippers with hot tea and a warm Dawg.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 12-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,395
Victoria Arbiter's preview of William & Kate's visit to NY

Prince William, Princess Kate to visit New York - Videos - CBS News

Child Development Center Looks Forward to Royal Visit - NY1
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 12-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Victoria Arbiter's preview of William & Kate's visit to NY

Prince William, Princess Kate to visit New York - Videos - CBS News
I found it interesting that although the headlines read Prince William and Princess Kate, the actual story feed address them as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. If anyone should know the correct usage, it would be Victoria Arbiter as she is the daughter of Dickie Arbiter.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 12-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,094
I think the gesture of receiving the heir-to-the-heir of a country by the US President has everything to do with respect being shown to a valued ally, as is England to America. IMO this gesture has more to do with politics and international relationships than anything else. If the British government requested this meeting as a courtesy to their Head of State, I can't imagine the US government declining.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 12-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I think the gesture of receiving the heir-to-the-heir of a country by the US President has everything to do with respect being shown to a valued ally, as is England to America. IMO this gesture has more to do with politics and international relationships than anything else. If the British government requested this meeting as a courtesy to their Head of State, I can't imagine the US government declining.
If that was the case, wouldn't this visit then be called a state visit? I'm curious and not really overly familiar with how state visits work. I had thought I read somewhere that this meeting was in support for William's work with illegal trafficking of animals.

Of course it does have the elements of the things that you've described in this meeting but I don't believe I've read anywhere where the British government has requested this.
__________________

__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General News for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: January 2013-December 2014 Zonk Current Events Archive 1689 01-04-2015 06:46 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece haakon kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander madeleine member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess stéphanie's daytime outfits queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 sheikh hamdan bin mohammed state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises