The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-06-2014, 05:18 AM
Heir Apparent

UPDATED: Full itinerary for Duchess Kate and Prince William's NYC trip released

Old 12-06-2014, 06:23 AM
Nobility

Do other heirs to the throne meet with Obama when they go to Washington? (I know William's the heir to the heir but you get what I mean).

That'll be both William and Harry welcomed to the White House, in Harry's case by the First Lady. Pretty good going.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:48 AM
Heir Apparent

I think the British royals get pride of place in America. For William to meet with both the President and Vice President is a big deal.

I can think of some reigning monarchs who would love that opportunity
Old 12-06-2014, 07:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

There are already a lot of royals who met the president Obama and the vice president

In september , King Felipe of Spain and Queen Letizia, The princely couple of Monaco and other royals.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:19 AM
Heir Apparent

I was specifically referring to royals who are not reigning nor are the heirs to the respective countries.

I think this a big deal for William to meet with both the President and Vice-president and he still isn't even heir to the throne
Old 12-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I was specifically referring to royals who are not reigning nor are the heirs to the respective countries.

I think this a big deal for William to meet with both the President and Vice-president and he still isn't even heir to the throne

It is indeed. I mean, I thought it was odd Harry addressed a Country's Government (during his trip to Estonia) before William did. Especially since William is the Heir and Future King after all. This a huge step on his learning curve as a Senior Royal and more than a wee bit overdue IMO.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 12-06-2014, 08:08 AM
Nobility

Quote:

I have to agree. I couldn't think of many other heirs being invited to meet Obama at the White House, let alone 3rd in line.

I'm sure it's appreciated by William and the whole family. Only small disappointment is that Kate will be staying in NY, but she's doing lots of worthwhile things too.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Courtier

well - if some royal is there on behave of the Queen, they are treated as such.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:54 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
It is indeed. I mean, I thought it was odd Harry addressed a Country's Government (during his trip to Estonia) before William did. Especially since William is the Heir and Future King after all. This a huge step on his learning curve as a Senior Royal and more than a wee bit overdue IMO.
We have to remember too that Harry was in Estonia as a representative of the Queen. When William and Kate visit NY and DC, they will be visiting as representatives of the Queen (they always are I think) but mostly they're there to represent their charities and causes. It will not be like William's visit coming up to China where he's primarily representing his monarch. I do think its a big honor that William will meet with the president and vice president and its a reflection, I think, of the recognition of the work that he is doing for illegal poaching and trade.

On the subject of being the heir to the heir, I think we need to remember that William is the odd duck in this respect. Most other 3rd in line to the thrones are still children.

I loved reading the story about the little boy wanting to take Kate home to play with Thomas the Train. I'm willing to bet my last glass of eggnog that Kate will be very well informed and be able to carry of quite an intelligent conversation with him about Thomas. Perhaps George has a Thomas the Train too.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 12-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Prince William addressed the Australian parliament back in April 2014. Harry's trip to Estonia was in May I think

Old 12-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
There are already a lot of royals who met the president Obama and the vice president

In september , King Felipe of Spain and Queen Letizia, The princely couple of Monaco and other royals.
They met the president when they were all at the United Nations in ny. For me, visiting the White House in Washington, D.C. Is a little different.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
They met the president when they were all at the United Nations in ny. For me, visiting the White House in Washington, D.C. Is a little different.
I think William meeting Obama is more along the lines of Obama (and other VIPs) expressing their support for the work that William is campaigning for rather than the fact that he is the 3rd in line to the British throne.

Perhaps its a sly subterfuge motion ahead of William's visit to China. Although William will not be in China to promote or campaign against illegal poaching and trading, the White House meeting is a definite public way that the US is backing William's efforts in this arena.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 12-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince William to meet Obama in the Oval Office on American trip
Quote:
Prince William has been invited to the Oval Office for a meeting with Barack Obama that has been described by the White House as underscoring the importance of the ‘special relationship’.

The meeting will take place on Monday during the Duke of Cambridge’s three-day trip to the US where he is expected to give a speech on combating illegal trafficking of wildlife at the World Bank Group's International Corruption Hunters Alliance Conference.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
We have to remember too that Harry was in Estonia as a representative of the Queen. When William and Kate visit NY and DC, they will be visiting as representatives of the Queen (they always are I think) but mostly they're there to represent their charities and causes. It will not be like William's visit coming up to China where he's primarily representing his monarch. I do think its a big honor that William will meet with the president and vice president and its a reflection, I think, of the recognition of the work that he is doing for illegal poaching and trade.

On the subject of being the heir to the heir, I think we need to remember that William is the odd duck in this respect. Most other 3rd in line to the thrones are still children.

I loved reading the story about the little boy wanting to take Kate home to play with Thomas the Train. I'm willing to bet my last glass of eggnog that Kate will be very well informed and be able to carry of quite an intelligent conversation with him about Thomas. Perhaps George has a Thomas the Train too.
First-
So precious!
Second- Oh, I agree with your last paragraph Osipi! And if not, I know someone who is!
Old 12-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

British Royals @britishroyals · 2h 2 hours ago
And so it begins! Barriers up in front of the Carlyle ahead of William & Kate's #NYC visit (pic: @livelovelaughvr)
https://twitter.com/britishroyals/st...68289096142848

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-06-2014, 02:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
British Royals @britishroyals · 2h 2 hours ago
And so it begins! Barriers up in front of the Carlyle ahead of William & Kate's #NYC visit (pic: @livelovelaughvr)
https://twitter.com/britishroyals/st...68289096142848
I am actually quite pleased with what the American response to Wills and Kate visiting has been. I'm looking forward to following all the events and places they go over the next few days but glad I'm home in my fuzzy slippers with hot tea and a warm Dawg.
― John Lennon
Old 12-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Victoria Arbiter's preview of William & Kate's visit to NY

Prince William, Princess Kate to visit New York - Videos - CBS News

Child Development Center Looks Forward to Royal Visit - NY1
Old 12-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Victoria Arbiter's preview of William & Kate's visit to NY

Prince William, Princess Kate to visit New York - Videos - CBS News
I found it interesting that although the headlines read Prince William and Princess Kate, the actual story feed address them as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. If anyone should know the correct usage, it would be Victoria Arbiter as she is the daughter of Dickie Arbiter.
― John Lennon
Old 12-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think the gesture of receiving the heir-to-the-heir of a country by the US President has everything to do with respect being shown to a valued ally, as is England to America. IMO this gesture has more to do with politics and international relationships than anything else. If the British government requested this meeting as a courtesy to their Head of State, I can't imagine the US government declining.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I think the gesture of receiving the heir-to-the-heir of a country by the US President has everything to do with respect being shown to a valued ally, as is England to America. IMO this gesture has more to do with politics and international relationships than anything else. If the British government requested this meeting as a courtesy to their Head of State, I can't imagine the US government declining.
If that was the case, wouldn't this visit then be called a state visit? I'm curious and not really overly familiar with how state visits work. I had thought I read somewhere that this meeting was in support for William's work with illegal trafficking of animals.

Of course it does have the elements of the things that you've described in this meeting but I don't believe I've read anywhere where the British government has requested this.

― John Lennon