The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-04-2014, 01:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Duchess News Files @Duchess_Files · 25m 25 minutes ago
Actor @tomhanks will give toast at the University of St. Andrews dinner William & Kate are attending on December 9. (via @univofstandrews)

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh gosh, they are becoming more celebrity than royalty.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The royals have mingled with celebrities for years and years, so I don't see how this is anything new.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^Agreed soapstar. With the Royal Variety performance, film premieres, BAFTA presidency and concerts the BRF has been meeting the various film, literary, and musical talents of the UK for well over 100 years.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:47 PM
Serene Highness

It is all about the fundraising.

And it seems that Tom Hanks' daughter went to St Andrews. I doubt this will be the first time he will have been drafted into service for the University - albeit probably the most high profile.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Please note that all posts regarding the style and title of Catherine have been moved to
Questions about British Styles and Titles . In addition, posts regarding the everyday activities of Williams have been moved to http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...-36218-17.html .

Any and all additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Let's stay on topic.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 12-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 30 secs30 seconds ago City of London, London

The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the Northside Center for Child Development, Harlem with New York's First Lady on Monday.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 6 mins6 minutes ago City of London, London

The Duke of Cambridge will meet Hillary and Chelsea Clinton at a conservation reception at the British Consul General's residence, New York.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Oh gosh, they are becoming more celebrity than royalty.
I prefer to see it as they're celebrated for being royal.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the Northside Center for Child Development, Harlem with New York's First Lady on Monday.

The Duke of Cambridge will meet Hillary and Chelsea Clinton at a conservation reception at the British Consul General's residence, New York.
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 3 mins3 minutes ago City of London, London

The Duke and Duchess will attend a reception at NeueHouse celebrating British creative talent in New York on Tuesday.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 1 min1 minute ago City of London, London

William and Kate will attend a GREAT reception at the Empire State Building and then the St Andrews 600th anniversary dinner at MMA Tuesday.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 15 secs16 seconds ago City of London, London

Ex-UK Foreign Secretary William Hague will accompany William to the International Corruption Hunters Alliance conference at the World Bank.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 1 min1 minute ago City of London, London

William's World Bank visit to Washington DC is on Monday.

Clarence House ‏@ClarenceHouse 35 secs35 seconds ago

The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the Northside Center for Child Development in #Harlem with First Lady of #NYC @Chirlane #RoyalVisitUSA
Old 12-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for the updates to their visit Rudolph!
Old 12-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror The full itinerary and entourage of William and Kate's New York trip http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/william-kate-new-york-what-4750295 …
Old 12-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

Looking forward to both of these.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Martin @CourtierUK · 47m 47 minutes ago
Prince William to meet President Obama in the Oval Office on Monday. Plus meeting with Vice President. HRH’s first visit to Washington DC.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-05-2014, 03:55 PM
Heir Apparent

BBC News - Prince William to meet President Obama in US trip
Quote:
The Duke of Cambridge will meet President Obama at the Oval Office on Monday, the White House has announced.

Prince William's meeting with the president is part of a three-day trip to the east coast of the US and is his first visit to Washington DC.
He is expected to give a speech on combating illegal wildlife trafficking at the World Bank.

President Obama has welcomed the Prince's work against what he called "a devastating environmental problem".

In February, Princes Charles and Prince William attended an international conference held in London where a declaration was signed on fighting the illegal trade in wildlife.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent

I've been skimming intro articles. I do think it worth you all knowing that big chunks of Harlem have become gentrified and are thriving these days. It's quite hip to have an office in Harlem. So don't believe all the "Di went to Harlem" comparisons. The Duchess may be going to a worthy charity, but Harlem now is not the same as Harlem then. Thanks - I had to get that off my chest.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I've been skimming intro articles. I do think it worth you all knowing that big chunks of Harlem have become gentrified and are thriving these days. It's quite hip to have an office in Harlem. So don't believe all the "Di went to Harlem" comparisons. The Duchess may be going to a worthy charity, but Harlem now is not the same as Harlem then. Thanks - I had to get that off my chest.

I'm glad someone did. As you said, today's Harlem is a very different place from what it was in the past.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 12-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William is meeting the president and vp? Wow
Old 12-06-2014, 12:47 AM
Serene Highness

If hosting a charity dinner with Tom Hanks gets them called celebrity wannabes, then all this galavanting around with Obama, Biden and Hillary must mean they are trying to be politicians too!

Their critics seem to be projecting an identity crisis onto them. LOL

I think they are willing to mingle with whomever to advance their charitable causes, and we all put much more analysis into their cohorts than they do.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:36 AM
Heir Apparent

A fairytale in New York for our royals - Telegraph

From the gilded elite to celebrities and politicians, Americans just can't get enough of Wills and Kate
Quote:
If the Duke of Cambridge were to walk into Cathy Dault’s Manhattan flat during his trip to New York next week, the first face he would see would be his own. The hallway of the modest First Avenue apartment is decorated with signed Christmas cards from Diana, Princess of Wales, which Dault has collected over the years from an American dealer in royal memorabilia. One card shows Charles and Diana in happy times with their two sons. Another is from 1992, the year their marriage officially broke down, and features just the two young princes.

If the Duke ventured a little farther into the living room, he would find a caricature of Prince Harry (signed by the subject), hanging next to a poster of one of Mario Testino’s sultry photographs of his mother. Next to those is a copy of the National Portrait Gallery painting of the two princes, looking relaxed in their black cavalry uniforms. There is also a framed magazine cover of Harry and photographs from one of his trips to Africa.

“People walk in here and they say: 'Oh, my God, it’s like a shrine to the Royals,’ ” laughs Dault. The 63-year-old schoolteacher is just one of the thousands of excited Americans hoping to catch a glimpse of the Cambridges when they arrive on a commercial flight into New York tomorrow for a three-day visit to the US East Coast.
Special needs kids in Harlem prepare gift for Kate Middleton | New York Post
Quote:
Special needs kids at a Harlem school that Duchess Kate Middleton will visit on Monday are so thrilled to a meet real-life “princess,” they plan to surprise her with flowers and a handmade gift.

Beaming 4-year-old Tom gestured to a picture frame that he and classmates had made for the duchess at Northside Center for Child Development and said, “It’s for the princess in the castle!”

He added, “I want to take her home to play with Thomas the Train.”
Old 12-06-2014, 05:15 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
If hosting a charity dinner with Tom Hanks gets them called celebrity wannabes, then all this galavanting around with Obama, Biden and Hillary must mean they are trying to be politicians too!

Their critics seem to be projecting an identity crisis onto them. LOL

I think they are willing to mingle with whomever to advance their charitable causes, and we all put much more analysis into their cohorts than they do.

Very well said. And they should mingle with all the rich/wealthy and famous for they are the ones with the very deep bank accounts as it's people like you and me that don't have those deep bank accounts to give money to charities. So I hope they get many huge donations for their charities as it will go to help so many in need as that is what it all about, helping those in need.