The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-22-2014, 04:24 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
The problem is that another country is telling Americans what to do and they don't appreciate it. Of course it's common sense, but Americans don't like it when people tell us what to do. just see all of the "well now I'm just going to wear my Pjs!" comments some "journalists" have made.

It is incredibly silly that this is even an argument, even if a poor one at that.
I would be willing to wager my last onion ring that there aren't many Americans around (me included) that wasn't raised on being told to be sure to wear clean underwear in case we got into an accident. Come to think of it, that directive came in quite handy when I underbellied a semi and did get taken to the hospital.

Now I bet we'll all be keeping our eyes peeled on the fashion choices of the press and crew all during the US visit of the Cambridges. Might even prove to be a bit interesting.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Former Royal Editor at Sky - Paul Harrison (now promoted to New Editor) is/was famous for his colourful trousers. Worn on many royal occasions except for those that were formal. Example:

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/W...mmIH_j8JNl.jpg

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-22-2014, 11:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Former Royal Editor at Sky - Paul Harrison (now promoted to New Editor) is/was famous for his colourful trousers. Worn on many royal occasions except for those that were formal. Example:

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/W...mmIH_j8JNl.jpg
what an unfortunate color combo. those pants would have gone better with possibly a black jacket or something of a lighter color (but not blue!).

reminds me of a SportsCenter commercial where one of the out of house correspondents was being interviewed. We cut to his house & the end of the interview to see he's just wearing a "suit bib" (that is, the only thing you can see on camera is the top half of a suit, enough to make him look professional) and he tears it off and is wearing a Slayer t-shirt underneath.

As long as your top half is respectable while you're on TV, lol
Old 11-23-2014, 08:59 AM
Nobility

The Sunday Times is reporting that a table at the dinner for St Andrew's at the MOMA in NY is going for $100,000 a pop. Apparently almost all the tickets are sold and the dinner is expected to raise at least £1.5m for the university.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:59 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Tickets to dine with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at a fundraising dinner for the university where the royal couple met as students are selling for up to £64,000.
Prince William and Kate are due to take a mini tour of America next month, ending with the fundraiser at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manhattan.
The event is being held to raise money for St Andrews University in Scotland and is being held to mark the 600th anniversary of the historic establishment.
Wealthy Americans pay £64,000 to dine with Prince William and Kate at New York museum fundraiser | Daily Mail Online

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
I remember the rumor, but the Dutch (and Turkey as well) follow jus sanguinis and thus the soil isn't necessary. When Margriet was born, the maternity ward was briefly declared to be extraterritorial since the Canadians follow jus soli.
What if Cambridge baby #2 decides December is a better month to come and does so while they are in the USA? Will an eventual high ranking member of the royal family be American and British?
Old 11-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Heir Apparent

If the baby comes while in the US, whether it has US citizenship isn't really going to matter at that point because it will be extremely premature and will be facing an uphill battle.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-23-2014, 07:01 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
What if Cambridge baby #2 decides December is a better month to come and does so while they are in the USA? Will an eventual high ranking member of the royal family be American and British?
The easy solution to this problem maybe would be for Kate to give birth at the British Embassy. I believe that area is considered British soil. There is a British embassies both in DC and in NYC.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Will an eventual high ranking member of the royal family be American and British?
*in your dreams* ! Anywhere the Duchess is expected to give birth [hospital/ hotel] will be temporarily designated British soverign territory, so the child will be 'born on British soil'..

I can't remember which foreign Royal was born in a Claridges hotel bedroom [during the last war, i think], but the birth place was duly designated territory of their country, so their honour, and law was satisfied.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:34 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Posts discussing the China visit reports have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...-34429-79.html thread. This thread is for the US visit only. Please keep on topic.

JessRulz
TRF Admin
Old 11-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

A very interesting piece of news dropped into my FaceBook feed today. Anyone else get this?

Royal dress code sparks indignation in US press
LINK: Royal dress code sparks indignation in US press - Independent.ie

TEXT: "Prince William and Kate can expect to be on the receiving end of plenty of mischief when they arrive in NYC on December 7 for their highly anticipated official three-day visit. The couple, who will, among other things, visit the September 11 Memorial and take in a basketball game in Brooklyn, may be well-versed in dealing with the hardcore tactics of Fleet Street hacks but they, and their staff, are obviously clueless about how to handle the American version of the species who, while not quite as rabid, have their own particular set of quirks.

"For starters, reporters here don't feel as if they have to answer to Buckingham Palace. And they really don't like being told how to dress or behave - two sore spots the Brits managed to hit in one directive, issued last Thursday, when BP laid down a dress code for those covering the trip.

" "Journalists wishing to cover royal engagements, whether in the United Kingdom or abroad, should comply with the dress code on formal occasions out of respect for the guests of The Queen, or any other member of the Royal Family," the palace press office declared. "Smart attire for men includes the wearing of a jacket and tie, and for women a trouser- or skirt-suit. Those wearing jeans or trainers will not be admitted and casually dressed members of the media will be turned away. This also applies to technicians."

Reaction was swift and biting. "First of all, what are "trainers" or, for that matter, "technicians"?" asked NY magazine. "And second, why should the United States' press corps - who barely bother to brush the muffin crumbs off their polo shirts before lobbing questions at the president of the United States - schlep extra pieces of clothing to work just so they can make smalltalk with a (perfectly nice-seeming) British air ambulance pilot-in-training and a former chain-store accessories buyer?" "

OUCH! It gets more amusing further into the article.

Didn't they just hire an American as their Press Officer? Not an auspicious beginning, unless this article is totally bogus. Could be.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Serene Highness

I find this to be right on, just look at the way people dress these days, sometimes it is so pathetic and down right dirty. You really at times can't tell if some one is homeless or not because of the way people dress. Just going to church I have seen women letting it all hang out, teenagers with their bare butts showing while the pants are almost down to the ankles, I think this is partly to blame by the media who portray women dressing like street walkers, so yes the media should be held accountable when doing an interview or even just following royals around the world. Doesn't hurt to wash, have clean clothes, pull the pants and use a belt, women cover up the darn boobs for once, we all know they are there so it doesn't need to be seen everywhere.

sorry mods if this is off topic but I agree with the article.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:20 PM
Courtier

Am I the only one who remembers the massive press outrage when the Women's Lacrosse team wore flip-flops to meet The President. The US press screamed bloody murder, and practically flogged the lady athletes. They have a lot of gall crying indignation now. They just made themselves look like massive hypocrites.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
A very interesting piece of news dropped into my FaceBook feed today. Anyone else get this?

TEXT: "Prince William and Kate can expect to be on the receiving end of plenty of mischief when they arrive in NYC on December 7 for their highly anticipated official three-day visit. The couple, who will, among other things, visit the September 11 Memorial and take in a basketball game in Brooklyn, may be well-versed in dealing with the hardcore tactics of Fleet Street hacks but they, and their staff, are obviously clueless about how to handle the American version of the species who, while not quite as rabid, have their own particular set of quirks.

"For starters, reporters here don't feel as if they have to answer to Buckingham Palace. And they really don't like being told how to dress or behave - two sore spots the Brits managed to hit in one directive, issued last Thursday, when BP laid down a dress code for those covering the trip.

" "Journalists wishing to cover royal engagements, whether in the United Kingdom or abroad, should comply with the dress code on formal occasions out of respect for the guests of The Queen, or any other member of the Royal Family," the palace press office declared. "Smart attire for men includes the wearing of a jacket and tie, and for women a trouser- or skirt-suit. Those wearing jeans or trainers will not be admitted and casually dressed members of the media will be turned away. This also applies to technicians."

Reaction was swift and biting. "First of all, what are "trainers" or, for that matter, "technicians"?" asked NY magazine. "And second, why should the United States' press corps - who barely bother to brush the muffin crumbs off their polo shirts before lobbing questions at the president of the United States - schlep extra pieces of clothing to work just so they can make smalltalk with a (perfectly nice-seeming) British air ambulance pilot-in-training and a former chain-store accessories buyer?" "

Didn't they just hire an American as their Press Officer? Not an auspicious beginning, unless this article is totally bogus. Could be.
we've discussed this on previous pages.

Quote:
As I understand it, there are two things that could/will prevent the future Prince/ss from being a US citizen. One: the law of jus soli in the US does not include foreign diplomats. I could make a case for why the Duchess fits that bill, but I could see why she doesn't. Two: under the British National Law, children born to British parents who are overseas on Crown Service are British citizens.

Now, I'm no expert in nationality laws, particularly foreign nations, but this is just a guess. As we all hope that the baby will not be born that early.

And for those wondering, if they do go to China and the baby is born there, China also operates under jus sanguinis, so all will be well.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Am I the only one who remembers the massive press outrage when the Women's Lacrosse team wore flip-flops to meet The President. The US press screamed bloody murder, and practically flogged the lady athletes. They have a lot of gall crying indignation now. They just made themselves look like massive hypocrites.
Agreed. It really isn't too much to ask that the media dresses appropriately for the function they're covering. The indignation is laughable at best and embarrassing at worst. I doubt any of them would show up to a press conference that President Obama was holding wearing an AC/DC t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers. It's called respect - something that these 'outraged' journalists should look up in a dictionary.

I'm also shaking my head at the quote from the article Lady Nimue posted which reads to the effect of "what are trainers anyway?" A quick Google search would answer the question for them - they just want to complain for the sake of it. Ridiculous, the whole thing.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
As the baby isn't due for quite some time after that, I really hope that isn't the case. The Duchess is due in April. The baby would be in a fight for its life if that happened, and speculation on that probably isn't positive.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Courtier

Exactly. You don't have a stillbirth until the 24th week, anything before that is called a miscarriage because there is an almost zero percent chance of survival during that time.

Catherine would be around 19/20 weeks during the US tour. You can fill in the blanks.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post

Much ado about nothing. Neither BP, or anyone on W&K's staff sent out rules on how the press should dress. The Senate Periodical Press Gallery, sent out an email reminding reporters on the rules of etiquette while covering Congress. The email also mentioned W&K's upcoming visit, and included a link to the media information page on the BP website (which mentions attire for the press when covering formal events).

The royals have been to the U.S. many times, so I have no idea why some in the press have decided to make a big deal now.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The easy solution to this problem maybe would be for Kate to give birth at the British Embassy. I believe that area is considered British soil. There is a British embassies both in DC and in NYC.
There are consulates in New York and other big cities, the embassies are in Washington, D.C.

Where are they going to stay, the consulate?
Old 11-23-2014, 11:09 PM
Heir Apparent

In LA, they stayed at the consulate. NY would definitely have a consulate.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community