Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to the USA - December 7-9, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this is a visit by the future king and queen of the United Kingdom and Commonwealth.

I've watched the swearing in of an American president, and even the participants, [let alone the journalists covering the event, and spectators] seem congenitally unable to dress formally, even for the most solemn event in their national calendar !
It is no surprise then, that they insist upon their'right' to dress badly, in sportswear...

Which American president was that?

This may seem an odd question but I'm going to ask it anyways. Its all over the place here in the States and I was wondering if it was similar in other countries. Do you have signs in establishments that say:

No shoes
No shirt
No service

Just wondering. :D

No. You have these places in the US?? Really?

You bet we do. Got to keep the riff raff out somehow.

Mr Obama [the first time round].

Hummmm...it happens in the daytime, so no tails or cutaways or morning suit stuff. He simply wore a suit under an overcoat. That's what they all wear. Gone are the top hats of olden times...last president to wear one was Richard Nixon.

the "outrage" from Americans crying "but our 1st amendment" is legitimately making me shake with anger. As if a journalist would be allowed to show up to work in jeans any other time? But somehow, when the big bad former mummy the Palace tells us we have to look nice, suddenly that's a problem that our 1st amendment protects us from? I've studied poli sci for years and focused on Constitutional Law for a year. The blatant stupidity around the constitution is so insanely frustrating to me.

Of course journalists should be dress professionally when they're on the job! Part of your job is to look nice!

And as far as I can tell, the page on the royal website is a general thing that has been there for a while. It is not directed at Americans for this specific trip (unless it is a new thing added to the website).

The good news is that this seems to be a very small blip on the radar. I haven't seen it on any respectable news site, but then again I haven't been all over. (and goodness knows American media outlets love to pick up and run with a dumb and misconstrued story).

The story has actually been picked up by mainstream news outlets (it was mentioned on NBC Nightly News last night and the Today Show today), but it was addressed in a lighthearted way. They only thing that there was much discussion about is that the dress code applies not just to the journalists (who generally expect to dress appropriately), but to the crew, too. Having been a journalist, a lot of the crew/tech guys I've met seem like they probably don't own a suit. They dress casually because that makes it easier for them to move around and deal with the equipment.

And, in fact, some journalists can show up at their jobs in jeans - it all depends where you work. Not all journalists are on TV. Many radio and print journalists do dress quite casually - though, of course, when you know you're going to have a specific kind of assignment, such as a royal visit, one would certainly expect the reporters to dress appropriately.

I think a lot of journalists are just surprised - or perhaps bemused is a better word - because they aren't used to being issued a dress code (or, if they are, it comes from their office, not from the subjects of the story they're covering). I don't think the requests themselves are that much of an issue.

This may seem an odd question but I'm going to ask it anyways. Its all over the place here in the States and I was wondering if it was similar in other countries. Do you have signs in establishments that say:

No shoes
No shirt
No service

Just wondering. :D

Here in the UK, I have seen signs and polite requests for "no trainers" and/or "no jeans" or "smart jeans only". This is usually at posh restaurants and nightclubs, or at least those establishments trying to be posh!
It works both ways though - I went to a New Year's Eve dinner once and a friend of mine decided in his wisdom to wear full dinner jacket and tie - everyone else wore trousers and short and he got some funny looks!

I doubt we will see any gust-of-wind mishaps involving Catherine, but if we do, we will be well prepared and it should go unnoticed.

You bet we do. Got to keep the riff raff out somehow.

Here in the UK, I have seen signs and polite requests for "no trainers" and/or "no jeans" or "smart jeans only". This is usually at posh restaurants and nightclubs, or at least those establishments trying to be posh!
It works both ways though - I went to a New Year's Eve dinner once and a friend of mine decided in his wisdom to wear full dinner jacket and tie - everyone else wore trousers and short and he got some funny looks!

I’ve never seen any signs anywhere but maybe I’ve just been to the wrong places. :cool: I live in the deep south and in this city (or at least the one I work in) people "dress up” when they head out, even for going to the supermarket. It’s getting less due to people from outside, but you can still see it around.

I doubt we will see any gust-of-wind mishaps involving Catherine, but if we do, we will be well prepared and it should go unnoticed.

I was going to say - it's been my impression in every country I've been to (UK included), there are always people who don't seem to know how to dress appropriately. In posh restaurants, etc., in the US, the dress code usually goes unspoken - I tend to associate the "no shoes, no shirt, no service" signs with with cheaper stores and restaurants (as I think people who think shirts and/or shoes are optional attire aren't likely to wander into higher-end establishments).

I don't see you in the Harry thread mentioning his naked Vegas bum. I also don't see you in Philip's thread mentioning his kilt "mishaps". Yet you are on Catherine's thread fixating on her body. You've done this numerous times. Maybe I just don't understand your "humor". I've never liked misogynistic jokes.

I don’t really care how many mishaps Kate (or anyone else has) but the thing with Harry’s butt happened in private and is therefor different than a mishap in public. The private thing should never have gotten out as far as I’m concerned. Or at least it wouldn’t have if people still had the decency to respect other people’s privacy.

I don't see you in the Harry thread mentioning his naked Vegas bum. I also don't see you in Philip's thread mentioning his kilt "mishaps". Yet you are on Catherine's thread fixating on her body. You've done this numerous times. Maybe I just don't understand your "humor". I've never liked misogynistic jokes.

If you show me a missive from BP instructing the American press on proper attire for being in the same room as Harry or Philip, I'll go post over there too.

Time for a little jog in our nog and some good Will to all and maybe a little bit o' Kate too eh?

Looking at the itinerary for the NY-DC trip, I really didn't see much in the way of anything in the way of holiday spirit. Wonder if/where any will be thrown in.

:cheers:

Please note that I have deleted a slew of empty and off topic posts.

It goes without saying that cattiness toward your fellow members WILL NOT be tolerated nor the need to discuss Kate's previous clothing mishaps in this thread. They have been discussed in great length in the previous tour trips as well as the fashion threads. So there is no need to reshash them here. If you want to relive the moment, do it some place else.

Sorry to be blunt but this is getting to be pretty ridiculous.

Any and all off topic/empty posts will be deleted without notice.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

We Americans forget that not everyone does things the same way we do. We like to isolate ourselves and hold ourselves to a different standard than the rest of the world. :bang: We'll tell you what to do, but don't tell us what to do.

Don't get me wrong, I love America, I have a problem with some Americans.

so nice to have seen my post deleted, but others not. :whistling:

again, I agree with you.

The outrage over it is silly, especially since this wasn't something sent out just for the US trip and it specifies FORMAL occasions. Of course you should be dressed appropriately for a formal occasion!

And, in fact, some journalists can show up at their jobs in jeans - it all depends where you work. Not all journalists are on TV. Many radio and print journalists do dress quite casually - though, of course, when you know you're going to have a specific kind of assignment, such as a royal visit, one would certainly expect the reporters to dress appropriately.

I didn't think of radio journalists, you're right. But when they're out interviewing/following a story such as going to an event where Will & Kate will be on this tour, do you think they'll show up in jeans? I certainly hope not (excluding the basketball game, that's entirely different, though I would hope they'll class up the jeans a bit). I have been interviewed on several occasions and the journalists were always dressed properly (not in jeans) despite the very low key types of events we were at. And these were journalists who were not on TV, but simply print journalists.

And iirc, though it's been many years, I don't believe the cameramen at an event I hosted were in jeans. I saw both Chelsea & Bill Clinton speak in 2008, but I don't remember what the cameramen & journalists were wearing and I didn't get any in photos so I can't check. So I really can't speak on the tech crew. I don't think it's too much to ask for nice khakis and a polo shirt for a formal event? idk

I don't understan all this fuss... I agree that the dress code must be respected

I don't understan all this fuss... I agree that the dress code must be respected

I agree. Isn't it the norm too that when people are to meet with members of the Royal Family or attend events where a royal will be present that they're given instructions of what the protocol is. Such as the first time its "Your Majesty" and after that Ma'am as in ham and not in mah dam and one waits for the royal to speak first and one never touches the Queen? If the rules and regulations for such as garden parties and Ascot are in place, to me, it would stand that there is a dress code for all people surrounding the event including the press and techs.

Just common sense I think.

I agree. Isn't it the norm too that when people are to meet with members of the Royal Family or attend events where a royal will be present that they're given instructions of what the protocol is. Such as the first time its "Your Majesty" and after that Ma'am as in ham and not in mah dam and one waits for the royal to speak first and one never touches the Queen? If the rules and regulations for such as garden parties and Ascot are in place, to me, it would stand that there is a dress code for all people surrounding the event including the press and techs.

Just common sense I think.

The problem is that another country is telling Americans what to do and they don't appreciate it. Of course it's common sense, but Americans don't like it when people tell us what to do. just see all of the "well now I'm just going to wear my Pjs!" comments some "journalists" have made.

It is incredibly silly that this is even an argument, even if a poor one at that.

:previous: Fully agree... Besides, I read on twitter that the media should respect the code even for those who made the effort of dressing up.... not only for a royal encounter

The problem is that another country is telling Americans what to do and they don't appreciate it. Of course it's common sense, but Americans don't like it when people tell us what to do. just see all of the "well now I'm just going to wear my Pjs!" comments some "journalists" have made.

It is incredibly silly that this is even an argument, even if a poor one at that.

I would be willing to wager my last onion ring that there aren't many Americans around (me included) that wasn't raised on being told to be sure to wear clean underwear in case we got into an accident. Come to think of it, that directive came in quite handy when I underbellied a semi and did get taken to the hospital. :D

Now I bet we'll all be keeping our eyes peeled on the fashion choices of the press and crew all during the US visit of the Cambridges. Might even prove to be a bit interesting.

Former Royal Editor at Sky - Paul Harrison (now promoted to New Editor) is/was famous for his colourful trousers. Worn on many royal occasions except for those that were formal. Example:

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/World+Media+Wait+Birth+Royal+Baby+-bmmIH_j8JNl.jpg

what an unfortunate color combo. those pants would have gone better with possibly a black jacket or something of a lighter color (but not blue!).

reminds me of a SportsCenter commercial where one of the out of house correspondents was being interviewed. We cut to his house & the end of the interview to see he's just wearing a "suit bib" (that is, the only thing you can see on camera is the top half of a suit, enough to make him look professional) and he tears it off and is wearing a Slayer t-shirt underneath.

As long as your top half is respectable while you're on TV, lol

The Sunday Times is reporting that a table at the dinner for St Andrew's at the MOMA in NY is going for $100,000 a pop. Apparently almost all the tickets are sold and the dinner is expected to raise at least £1.5m for the university.

Tickets to dine with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at a fundraising dinner for the university where the royal couple met as students are selling for up to £64,000.
Prince William and Kate are due to take a mini tour of America next month, ending with the fundraiser at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manhattan.
The event is being held to raise money for St Andrews University in Scotland and is being held to mark the 600th anniversary of the historic establishment.

Wealthy Americans pay £64,000 to dine with Prince William and Kate at New York museum fundraiser | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the rumor, but the Dutch (and Turkey as well) follow jus sanguinis and thus the soil isn't necessary. When Margriet was born, the maternity ward was briefly declared to be extraterritorial since the Canadians follow jus soli.

What if Cambridge baby #2 decides December is a better month to come and does so while they are in the USA? Will an eventual high ranking member of the royal family be American and British?

If the baby comes while in the US, whether it has US citizenship isn't really going to matter at that point because it will be extremely premature and will be facing an uphill battle.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

What if Cambridge baby #2 decides December is a better month to come and does so while they are in the USA? Will an eventual high ranking member of the royal family be American and British?

The easy solution to this problem maybe would be for Kate to give birth at the British Embassy. I believe that area is considered British soil. There is a British embassies both in DC and in NYC.

Will an eventual high ranking member of the royal family be American and British?

*in your dreams* ! Anywhere the Duchess is expected to give birth [hospital/ hotel] will be temporarily designated British soverign territory, so the child will be 'born on British soil'..

I can't remember which foreign Royal was born in a Claridges hotel bedroom [during the last war, i think], but the birth place was duly designated territory of their country, so their honour, and law was satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom