Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to the USA - December 7-9, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Videos:
William and Kate have been to the 9/11 Museum in New York, where they were shown different exhibits from Ground Zero-

Home - ITNSource News

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have attended a fundraising event for St Andrews University, at the Met Museum in New York. In a speech, William said that he didn't need to say how much the university meant to the royal couple. Dinner guests paid between $2,500 and $10,000 to attend the event-
Home - ITNSource News

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 8 mins8 minutes ago

William & Kate are back in London after a very successful #RoyalVisitUSA. Their @univofstandrews event raised a record-breaking $3.4 million

i may be picking on the nitty gritty now, but i find it somehow unfair that all this money from fundraising goes solely to university of st andrews. i know it's their university and the event was organised for their 600th anniversary, but it's not the only university in the UK and the other institutions won't count with the massive advertisement that comes from having educated the 2nd in line to the throne and his wife, so their probabilities of having their presence in their fundraising are slim. i believe any of them could do with similar royal support for their fundraising that they will never get. personally, i think they should attend events to raise funds for the complete education system in the UK and not just to benefit st andrews, even if organised under the st andrews banner to attract more interest...

Typical from Jan Moir. She lost the respect of anyone with a brain cell when she published an article in the DM which suggested that a popstar who died tragically young basically did so because he was gay.

^^^ The odious article Moir wrote on Boyzone singer Stephen Gately received the most complaints in DM history which is saying something

And I willing to wager W&K like being a bit bland and boring. What the tabloids can't bring themselves to is the Cambridges look to be in love and married for the long haul.

The Mail Online wants Palace intrigue and sex, lies and videotape

I always remember the words of Andrew Neil, the former Editor of the Sunday Times. Speaking about Charles and Diana he said the only thing the tabloids love more than a royal marriage is a royal breakup. Pretty sick stuff

Last edited:
I think you have to be a real loser to write for the mail.

All these reporters calling them boring and saying everything is planned.

Yes, moron camilla tominey it is planned because of security reasons...you think that she would bright enough to know that. Oh, and lets pretend harry's party days in India were spontaneous...because guess what per Richard Palmer....all those days were planned ahead of time...and again for the same reasons...for security....if you don't like the royals anymore get another job and stop covering them. I don't think ANY of them need to do anything to please the reporters.

(camilla was bitching on twitter)---o and hey media stop talking about what kate's wearing...it takes from the events they do.

I like how they are...I rather them be boring than dysfunctional...

The only thing that will come of all of this is more and more people will want the monarchy to end after the Queen passes.
If the press go after Kate like they did Diana the whole thing will blow up. Meanwhile Camilla Parker Bowles get a pass

i may be picking on the nitty gritty now, but i find it somehow unfair that all this money from fundraising goes solely to university of st andrews. i know it's their university and the event was organised for their 600th anniversary, but it's not the only university in the UK and the other institutions won't count with the massive advertisement that comes from having educated the 2nd in line to the throne and his wife, so their probabilities of having their presence in their fundraising are slim. i believe any of them could do with similar royal support for their fundraising that they will never get. personally, i think they should attend events to raise funds for the complete education system in the UK and not just to benefit st andrews, even if organised under the st andrews banner to attract more interest...

I agree and actually think it was inappropriate for the Duke and Duchess to take part in that event.

I don't understand: according to the writer the have become dull and a disapointment because of the style or because of their little work???

Can you just imagine how backwards and dysfunctional the BRF is if William and Kate are the disappointments?

Its becoming a total and complete farce. Here we are after ten years of Camilla and Clarence House is still trying to lull the public into accepting her as Queen but yet Kate is the problem?

Fantastical

Ah sorry, I found the whole debate on twitter... Interesting... it seems that the tide is turning...

I dont feel bad for the press....its like cry me a freaking river...

Most of the reporters complaining are always up Harry's rear....and never seem to realize harry hates them (he hates the press)...I dont think that will change with william or harry..

i know that the american press can be bad...but i think the uk press is way worse...I sometimes wish that that they all would move somewhere else.

bc guess what the uk press is bitching....
meanwhile most of the american press had glowing reviews for them...which is the impt part because it was a tour of new york...all that matters at the end of the day is they made money for their charities.

Universities use their alumni all the time to fundraise. Plus William is the patron of the 600 anniversary appeal.

The course that William did at Cambridge was under The Prince of Wales' Business & Sustainability Programme which is a collaboration between Charles and his alma mater Cambridge.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The only thing that will come of all of this is more and more people will want the monarchy to end after the Queen passes.
If the press go after Kate like they did Diana the whole thing will blow up. Meanwhile Camilla Parker Bowles get a pass

Nonsense. This is a very strong institution and there are not many who would "want the monarchy to end", even not after the Queen has died!
Even biggest crisis cannot really harm the monarchy (in the long term) and certainly not footnotes like a Camilla or Diana. The british monarchy is part of Britains culture and history.
And what about this "boring" stuff?! Neither William or Kate are here to entertain us or chase our boredom away! They have a job to fulfill and they do it with great charm and seem to enjoy it.

I´m so sick and tired about all these nay-sayers and self-acclaimed experts, claiming, "I tell ye, if that and that happens, the whole thing will blow up, the monarchy fall..." blablabla....:bang:

To carlota: William and Catherine do a lot of charity work. This time, it was St. Andrew´s. This doesn´t mean they let other institutions or projects down.
And: To change the whole educational system in Britain is not you do by fundraise, but by introducing new (education) laws in the country. And that, you will agree with me, is something politics has to do!

Last edited:
Let's get back on topic...the subject of this thread is not Diana, Camilla, the end of the British monarchy, etc.

Any and all additionall off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Thank you.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

OK. So the DM reporters seem to think that the Cambridges are boring, dull, and any other similar adjective that they can apply and get away with. That's their problem.

What high level personage doesn't have his itinerary planned and goes over who he's going to be meeting and where he's going to be going? When the time comes, they all put on their game faces. Perhaps they're out and about because they have to be and not because they want to be and I can imagine that the small talk and the how-do-you-dos with a never ending string of people can get quite tiring.

I'm sure that this applies to Wills and Kate often and they'd much rather be home watching Frozen with Cheeks and munching on popcorn. When they are out and about and in the public eye, I think Team Cambridge does a pretty good job of enjoying where they are and who they are meeting but yet remaining within the parameters of their game faces and the proper way of behaving. They do nothing outside of the ordinary, they don't make waves and there's a high brick fortress built around their private lives. If that makes them boring, then they have succeeded, I think, in how the public sees them.

Many, many times I've read how HM, The Queen has a quick wit, excels in mimicry and is quite amusing to be around but that aspect of her personality never ever comes across when she is in public. Her game face is to be regal and that is what we see.

I really enjoyed the William and Catherine's visit to the United States. Catherine looked terrific and William seemed to enjoy himself. I especially appreciate that William's visit to the White House didn't screw up my commute--as some VIP visits tend to do. The last time Charles was in DC, I had to sit in my car for 45 minutes.

i think it might be wise to point out something I've noticed lately. When posting links to various different articles, a lot of time people are posting them in more than one thread and this generates conversations about the same thing in two or three or more different threads and makes more work for our moderators to clean up and put all the conversation in one place.

Please take notice of this and when posting, it might be wiser to limit it to one thread only. Easier to move a post rather than move a whole gaggle of them and make the conversation run smoothly in one place.

Also, it might help to read through the threads first and see if an article and link may already be posted somewhere as to also avoid confusion.

Last edited:
It was a nice visit. I just wish they made the trip during the summer time and could have seen more of New York. When it's winter, you just want to be quickly whisked from one indoor place to another and not deal with the harsh weather.

Indeed.

Where is the video? Or should we just believe the interpretation of the no doubt esteemed reporter at Daily Mail?

Video:
https://vine.co/v/O6BhFAhwWig

It was a funny moment. I like the faces she pulls.

Last edited:
Trust the DM to try and put a negative slant on things and make a volcano out of an ant hill. What I saw was, to me, playful banter with just as playful and natural responses to it. Just makes me believe even more that Kate was enjoying what she was doing.

Same here. I thought it was hilarious.

Trust the DM to try and put a negative slant on things and make a volcano out of an ant hill. What I saw was, to me, playful banter with just as playful and natural responses to it. Just makes me believe even more that Kate was enjoying what she was doing.

exactly. they were all just a bunch of moms wrapping christmas presents; they were teasing, laughing and having a good time - despite the 20 cameras

Yet I've seen posters here say the DM fawns over Kate too much...

the reality of the DM (and most other media outlets) it is all about site traffic. whichever way they think will draw the most users to click on the story is all they need. that is also why the 'Kate Middleton' and 'Princess Kate' monikers are used - they are more recognizable to the casual user and will show up in searches.

I rarely agree with the content on the DM - but as a site, they put up the best and most pictures anywhere so I keep returning. i go crazy if i read the article or heave forbid the comments... but the pictures are nice.

Video:
https://vine.co/v/O6BhFAhwWig

It was a funny moment. I like the faces she pulls.

Thanks Dman :flowers:

Without being able to hear what is being said, it looks like a: ?!? Eeh, whatever-moment to me

The poor woman can't be expected to get all funny jokes and remarks thrown at her.
I once saw Mary miss a funny little wordplay said to her, twice, no doubt because she simply didn't understand that particular subtlety of the language. No one accused her of snubbing anyone.
It must happen all the time for royals.

I think the look she had was more of a " what the heck" kind of look. I dont think she was mad or irritated. It was actually funny.

Yeah, I think the look on Kate's face was more indicative of bemusement, rather than feeling offended. I think, had she truly been upset, she would've kept it to herself and not shown a reaction - instead, it seems she was just in a friendly environment where she felt she could relax and be herself and show a natural reaction. I found it quite funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom