Duke & Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to Singapore, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu - 9/2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They have already made an official visit to the United States, be it with no luncheon at the White House. Quite sufficient for the time being I should think whilst there are Commonwealth countries with a direct link to the institution of monarchy through their respective constitutions yet awaiting their first visit by the couple.

Actually, the Duke & Duchess havn't made an official visit to the US yet. They came here last year to support the Royal Foundation, the arts and visited some charites but they wasn't officially welcomed by the President. That's why i'm hoping they will make an official visit here at some point. Although I do know they will most likely visit some realms before then.

I agree, I think Catherine is doing great on her own. A lot of the royal ladies have a problem with the wind every now and then. Weights are fine but I think weights have a down side too. I sometimes think the Queen's clothes kinda weigh her down a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the Duke & Duchess havn't made an official visit to the US yet. They came here last year to support the Royal Foundation, the arts and visited some charites but they wasn't officially welcomed by the President. That's why i'm hoping they will make an official visit here at some point. Although I do know they will most likely visit some realms before then.
I actually think (and I'm not alone in this thinking) that last year's visit to the US was so that they need not return to the US for quite a number of years - likely a decade or more. To return to the US much sooner than that would quite frankly anger some of the people of the Commonwealth nations - which the BRF is well aware of and loathe to do.

Don't forget that the US portion of that visit was not originally planned for and was 'tacked on' at the end stages of planning the Canadian tour.

Last edited:
I agree, I think Catherine is doing great on her own. A lot of the royal ladies have a problem with the wind every now and then. Weights are fine but I think weights have a down side too. I sometimes think the Queen's clothes kinda weigh her down a bit.

I agree with you, Dman. The Queen's an elderly woman and so most of her outfits are actually made of quite heavy materials to offer her a bit more warmth. Her clothes can look rather boxy and heavy, although she almost always looks fabulous.

I must say, on a more general note, this has been another tremendously successful tour for William and Kate, made all the more impressive by the difficulties emanating from a certain French magazine. I've actually had several people at work and among my friends remark to me how much they admired Kate's solidering on after that all happened. She always had a warm smile to offer everyone she met, was engaged and interested and left a very positive impression. There's an inner strength there too which will be so important to her for her life in The Firm.

I hope the Soloman Islands and Tuvalu, in particular, can use the invaluable international PR generated over the last few days to try and build a prosperous and secure future for their citizens. I'd love to visit those islands some day.

If you compare the level of attention William and Kate's overseas tours attract with that of other royal couples within the BRF and across other RFs, it's truly like night and day. They cope with it very well, though, with a positive and friendly demeanour which is to their credit.

I actually think (and I'm not alone in this thinking) that last year's visit to the US was so that they need not return to the US for quite a number of years - likely a decade or more. To return to the US much sooner than that would quite frankly anger some of the people of the Commonwealth nations - which the BRF is well aware of and loathe to do.

Don't forget that the US portion of that visit was not originally planned for and was 'tacked on' at the end stages of planning the Canadian tour.

Yes, I know that. That's why I said that I fully understand that the Cambridges will focus on paying official visits to the realms and Commonwealth countries.

I was just stating that the Cambridges haven't made an official visit to the Uunted States yet. I'm not sure it will be a decade before they do but it may take a couple of years.

I remember all too well the noise that was made when Charles & Camilla made the US their first visit after their wedding in 2005.

You mean Kate should contact Mary's stylists? Mary has staff to source and purchase outfits for her, Kate does not.

Having a stylist does not mean you don't decide what you're going to wear. Mary wears what Mary likes, with or without outsourced opinions and suggestions.

They visited the United States in an official capacity as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. The contents of their itinerary doesn't matter, the fact remains that the visit was not private and that they officially represented themselves.

Being welcomed by the President generally either means he is host for an incoming state visit or that a foreign head of state or heir has made an official visit to Washington DC.

Last edited:
This problem with Kate's skirts becomes a stupid problem. She sould definitely PUT WEIGHTS to her skirts, as the Queen does!!

I have officially given up on Kate, her flowing dresses, and tarmacs. :ohmy: After the disaster in Canada, (yes, there are pictures of her bum on the internet of that episode) she should give up on silk skirts or dresses at an airport. And no weights are required, just a wool or straight skirt will do fine. I am not sure what is going through that girl's mind.

CanRoyal said:
I actually think (and I'm not alone in this thinking) that last year's visit to the US was so that they need not return to the US for quite a number of years - likely a decade or more. To return to the US much sooner than that would quite frankly anger some of the Commonwealth nations - which the BRF is well aware of and loath to do.

I believe it and the visit at Buckingham Palace with President and Mrs. Obama was the U.S
consolation prize for not being at the wedding. If they officially met the Obama's during the U.S. trip it would have been a more official State visit which it was not to be so they met them during a planned U.K. visit. Yes I know that no world leaders came to the wedding in that sense because it was not a Wedding like Charles and Diana because William is just second in line. The tacking on was done IMO to honor the U.S. though.

I actually think (and I'm not alone in this thinking) that last year's visit to the US was so that they need not return to the US for quite a number of years - likely a decade or more. To return to the US much sooner than that would quite frankly anger some of the Commonwealth nations - which the BRF is well aware of and loathe to do.

Yes and speaking as a Canadian who works in the media and had an opportunity to discuss this issue with several people as part of a professional project I can tell you that a few Canadians were ...er ... cranky that they even went to the States at all. While here they paddled in canoes, met with aboriginal groups, played hockey and rode around in cars and carriages waving to crowds. When they went to the States they dressed in evening wear and attended a Hollywood event. For a country that used to suffer from a little bit of "poor cousin" mentality (which changed almost diametrically after 9-11) it felt ... I guess "insulting" is the word I would use ... to some Canadians.

They're celebrities to most Americans and to most Canadians they are anything but that and to see them "celebrified" was a source of ... ire, I suppose. But it was more than that ... Canadians share a lot with Americans (and vice versa) ... and I think it boils down to a reluctance to share the thing Canadians have always respected and honoured with people who... well tossed them out at gunpoint :) Our reward was to be "special".

It's complicated :)

This is not my personal opinion, just sharing what teeny tiny insight I might have based on my professional experience.

It looks like Kate caught the dress before the wind swept it up, so she's fine.

That hasn't stopped the Queen being caught out by gusts of wind from time to time. A strong enough gust is going to lift a skirt no matter what weights are in it.
Exactly, plenty of royals have been caught by a gust of wind. The only way to prevent it, is to wear pants 24/7.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Royal Wardrobe Malfunctions and Mishaps

This problem with Kate's skirts becomes a stupid problem. She sould definitely PUT WEIGHTS to her skirts, as the Queen does!!

The Queen doesn't have weight in her skirts.

There’s a common misconception that the Queen has tiny lead weights sewn into her hems. But Her Majesty doesn’t need this old-fashioned trick to preserve her modesty. All of her dresses and suits have underskirts made with a tighter circumference than normal, so there is no chance of them lifting above knee-height. Source: Dailymail

Last edited:
Exactly plenty of royals have been caught by a gust of wind. The only way to prevent it is to wear pants 24/7.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Royal Wardrobe Malfunctions and Mishaps

That's a great link you have provided. I laugh when I read some of the comments in the tabloids and faux-shock/outrage from people.
My goodness some people like to think that winds gusts were 'invented' only after the Duchess of Cambridge joined the BRF.

I thought I was the only one that reconized that many of the Queen's overcoats and dresses seem to be too heavy and looks as if it's dragging her down to the ground. Of course I do understand that she's older and gets cold when out and about.

I think William, the royal family and Britian should be proud on how Catherine handled this situation. She didn't let it distract her from doing her duty on representing the Queen abroad. She continued on with so much grace, dignity and respect. She just did what she had to do and I'm proud of her too.

Lets not forget that Catherine also wear underskirts with many of her dresses too. As I said before, many of the royal ladies have trouble with the wind from time to time. The anger you sometimes see expressed on the DM site when Catherine have a little trouble with windy conditions is really over the top and you can almost imagine the complainers throwing stuff around their homes and ripping the doors off the hinges when they see or read something about Catherine having some windy problems. It just happens sometimes. The Queen have been through this, the Queen Mother, Sarah, Diana, etc.

That's a great link you have provided. I laugh when I read some of the comments in the tabloids and faux-shock/outrage from people.
My goodness some people like to think that winds gusts were 'invented' only after the Duchess of Cambridge joined the BRF.

I know, the reactions amuse me too. She's definitely not the only one to have her skirt blown by the wind. Wardrobe mishaps have happened to so many royals. It's no doubt embarrassing for them, but it happens. There's only so much they can do to prevent it.

I love the photos and videos that have come out of this trip. William and Kate seemed to have really enjoyed themselves. They have done such a wonderful job representing the Queen. Especially in light of this whole photo controversy.

Last edited:

My favorite has always been with DOC Camilla as she was wearing those support hose (I think it was just after she had the cast on her leg removed). I think I'd rather people see my bum than my sup-hose! It's as bad as getting caught with you Spanx showing! :lol:

at what time are they schedule to arrive in London?

I haven't heard anything in terms of exact timing all I know is they arrive sometime tomorrow. The arrived in Brisbane at 1:20pm yesterday and stayed for 2 hours so they would have left close to 3:30pm and Australia has a 9 hour difference to the UK

Last edited:

Some sad individuals seem to get a vicarious ego boost by raking Kate over the coals for every tiny indiscretion. They seem to think that they are the experts and are in a position to sneer down their noses like the Dowager Countess of Granthem.

I seem to remember reading on other royal message boards page after page of people trashing Kate for nearly breaching the order of precedence when she almost went down the stairs on the royal barge before Camilla during the Diamond Jubilee. She realised her error and stepped back (despite it being bloody freezing and pouring with rain), but you'd think she'd pushed the Queen overboard the way some people went on.

It has been great reading about this trip and looking at picks of this lovely couple. A huge thanks to all who contributed in any way.

Hope Kate can overcome this and move on with there Royal Life.

IMO, their actions after this story broke and the professional and friendly manner in which they conducted themselves during the remainder of the tour speaks volumes about their ability to put duty first in their lives.

I believe it and the visit at Buckingham Palace with President and Mrs. Obama was the U.S
consolation prize for not being at the wedding. If they officially met the Obama's during the U.S. trip it would have been a more official State visit which it was not to be so they met them during a planned U.K. visit. Yes I know that no world leaders came to the wedding in that sense because it was not a Wedding like Charles and Diana because William is just second in line. The tacking on was done IMO to honor the U.S. though.
HM and Prince Phillip met the Obamas. that's it

^William and Kate met them as well. They had a brief visit (at Buckingham Palace) during President Obama's 2011 State visit.

Last edited:
^William and Kate met them as well. They had a brief visit (at Buckingham Palace) during President Obama's 2011 State visit.
I am sorry, you are right. I just remember Mrs.Obama's famous touching the Queen which made headlines.

Loved it, Kate seemed to get better @ it, but William's dancing seemed to get, umm, less like the 'real' dancers and more like, well, let's just say it's a good thing he doesn't aspire to a career as a dancer. They both seemed to be genuinely enjoying themselves.

pardon my language but where the hell are they comin from? I just searched Heathrow's arrivals and there's none from Brisbane, I'm confused.

Back
Top Bottom