Duke & Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to Singapore, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu - 9/2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I much prefer your holiday, thank you!
I think royal tour holiday is an oxymoron.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best holidays ever!

:bang: :hammer: You remind me of those who tell me 'Wow, you're so lucky to be teaching pre-school and have a bunch of disabled kids in your class' when they hear that I'm a special ed. teacher. They assume it's like babysitting, especially if there are children with any sort of exceptionalities in one's classroom. However, it's far from babysitting. I'm actually TEACHING these children skills they'll need to have before they move on to primary grades. My students with special needs have certain goals they have to meet, and it's my responsibility to make sure that they do so. Now, you think that the Cambridges' tour is a holiday? Well, I have no idea what type of holidays you take, but I bet they don't involve the press around you twenty-four-seven, a bunch of security, constant briefings on whom you're meeting, why you're meeting him/her/them, what the situation is like, what is considered 'appropriate', what you're expected to eat/say/observe/enjoy. I could go on, but I won't, because the list I've compiled makes me want to shut down and take an anti-anxiety pill. The point is, that they're NOT on a holiday, because even if they're visiting a beautiful and exotic place, they really can't enjoy it as much as they would have, if they had a SAY in what they actually saw, ate, participated in, not to mention whom they socialized (or not socialized) with. Your view is so skewed, that you're creating a fairy take where one doesn't exist. It's work, plain and simple, and just because YOU don't see it as such, doesn't make it less demanding, or diminish its' value. They're celebrating Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee, so that alone implies that they'll be there as representatives of the Crown, and not as spectators.

These tours seem to me to be the furthest thing away from a holiday. Yes, sometimes they go to beautiful places and stay in nice hotels, but the whole essence of a holiday is being able to lounge around, do whatever you please and not having to answer to anyone else like when at work. That's not what this trip entails.

Amen to that!

Last edited:
World Vision USA ‏@WorldVisionUSA Prince William and Duchess Kate visited a World Vision piggery today. Yes, a piggery. http://bit.ly/PlIe4E
Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #royaltour Looks as if #Kate has been given a local fan to keep cool in the Solomon Islands heat http://pic.twitter.com/DPvZea0r

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #royaltour More of my pics from Honiara Airport of #William and #Kate http://pic.twitter.com/6QkrEnmM

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #royal #William and #Kate prepare to depart Honiara Airport for Tuvala http://pic.twitter.com/iMWgGafI

"St James’ Palace tells us at Honiara Airport that last night #William and #Kate went snorkelling in the rain together."
via @SkyNewsRoyal
Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #royaltour my pictures of #William and #Kate as they arrive back from Tavanipupu pic.twitter.com/GdwJHJwt

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal
#royaltour #William and #Kate will be staying in the apartment of an Australian Naval officer who's on leave, when they arrive in Tuvala

Chris Jackson ‏@ChrisJack_Getty Prince William and Kate have left the Solomon Islands for the tiny Pacific Island of Tuvalu, I'm heading home from here - Great tour!

Wills and Kate are due to arrive in 2.5 hours from now.

Last edited:
Thank you for these! I love that they went snorkelling :D. Good to kick back and relax, even during an official tour.

Now they are about to embark on the final leg of their Jubilee Tour. Can't wait for the pictures.

I think they should be landing at around 8/9pm PST maybe sooner.

I don't know I feel sorry for kate should most likely feels like a Manikin put on display for the whole world to see.

British Royals ‏@britishroyals Picture: William and Kate arrive in Tuvalu (thanks, @liltinglimes)... http://po.st/0jujOw - po.st/0jujOw
WhatKateWore.com ‏@WhatKateWore Kate keeps yellow frock for Tuvalu arrival, dress detailed in today's post: http://bit.ly/K8Sept18b
eviere ‏@eviere_afe Malo Tuvalu mo faiga mea . #kate #william #royaltour #Tuvalu http://pic.twitter.com/nLYyaLOo
eviere ‏@eviere_afe
#TuvaluMoTeAtua #royaltour #Tuvalu #kate #william

So up next
The couple will visit the primary school and university campus in Funafuti island. The couple will view demonstrations of crafts and cooking. In the evening William and Kate will attend an official dinner hosted by the Governor-General.

Duchess Kate: William and Kate Carried In Multi-Coloured Thrones in Unforgettable Tuvalu Visit

British Royals ‏@britishroyals Prince William & Kate are carried on thrones as thousands greet them in Tuvalu + info on their lovely evening... http://bit.ly/PmRfuk

This was posted on fb about an hour ago from someone who is there
Brynnan Kristinia There's canoe racing, planting of coconut trees, a state dinner, tour of the local schools, and it goes on for the next few hours. They won't be retiring until after 9 PM if it goes according to schedule. Please remember that the tour time is increasing by a new hour as we are in another time zone. It's now after 4 PM. I'll be keeping you ladies posted!

I can tell you that the couple has now retired back to their hotel for the afternoon and will next be seen at dinner time which is scheduled for 6:15pm

Photo from the meeting with the press from yesterday
Bob Woodruff ‏@BobWoodruff In my conversation w/ Kate Duchess of Cambridge I did not ask her anything about this scandal-She doesn't deserve it http://pic.twitter.com/vpO6Z5XC

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter Will and Kate's romantic meal in the rain. express.co.uk/posts/view/346…

I cannot find any pics from this afternoon and tonight so I'm heading to bed I can't wait any longer

well, they seem to have been snorkeling yesterday, on a desertes island the day before... while in canada, they got some time off in a hut in the forest if i well remember. i doubt many senior businessmen get to do that on their official trips out. :)
in any case, can we not just let the rest of the people express themselves? that's why we are all here for, or maybe i got this place confused!

That is one beautiful welcome. Can't wait to see more pictures and video.

carlota said:
well, they seem to have been snorkeling yesterday, on a desertes island the day before... while in canada, they got some time off in a hut in the forest if i well remember. i doubt many senior businessmen get to do that on their official trips out. :)
in any case, can we not just let the rest of the people express themselves? that's why we are all here for, or maybe i got this place confused!

And on the eighth day they got an evening off. After the private press reception which was not on an itineraries. They had a private dinner and did some snorkeling before retiring ....and then they got up and started all over again.

ok so the dinner has begun no pics yet but someone who I know is currently at the dinner so I can confirm it has begun. I assume we'll get pics from the dinner and the rest of the day later on

And on the eighth day they got an evening off. After the private press reception which was not on an itineraries. They had a private dinner and did some snorkeling before retiring ....and then they got up and started all over again.

It's nice that they manage to get some off time which isnt really off time. A dinner and a few hours is better than nothing. I didnt expect them to have such a packed agenda at the island, there is really very little one can do.

Britain's Prince William (L) looks on as his wife Catherine (R), the Duchess of Cambridge, receives a gift of traditional Tuvaluan fans from the students at the Tuvalu Campus of the University of the South Pacific during their visit to Funafuti on September 18, 2012.

ImageBam

Pics from dinner are coming in less then an hr according to Rebecca from DM

Maybe it's just the international bank that I work for, but when I'm away on business at my employer's request, they put me up in fairly nice hotels and in the evenings (if there's no work events to attend) I can do whatever the hell I want with my time. I've been lucky enough to visit several museums in interesting cities, as well as visit markets and go shopping among other things.

If I'm ever sent to a tropical island by my employer, have a free evening and there are facilities for snorkelling nearby I'll jump at the chance and my employer won't care. I can do what I want with my free time, even if I'm travelling on business.

You are right, I'would do also like you.

I do not understand why some members of TRF criticize W+K, like if the couple was obliged to have a life poorer that an unemployed worker.
They are royals, they are doing a great job. Out of this, of course, they have nice holidays, and of course they have nice outfits!!!

I think what shocks me is that some people dump all their complaints on the Cambridges for some reason. Members of the royal family have always enjoyed nice holidays when they can get away. The British royals have nice holidays, the Danish royals have nice holidays, the Swedish royals have nice holidays, the Norwegian royals have nice vacations and the Dutch royals have nice vacations too. Some of them have actual yachts to enjoy vacations on but the anger always manage to fall on William & Catherine and I think it's unfair.

That's not it. If you're not interested in any other royal family than the British, why would you comment on their holiday plans?

The Queen and Prince Philip have always gone to Balmoral during their summer, Charles, Camilla, Anne, Edward and Sophie have joined them for years. I don't think I've seen any royal abroad (on holiday) since I last saw Charles in Klosters. The young royals prefer to go abroad, which is their right.

This day off that William and Catherine had was offered by the Solomon Islands government to promote tourism for the island. Whilst I doubt they asked for it, they didn't turn it down. I wouldn't have either.

I think what shocks me is that some people dump all their complaints on the Cambridges for some reason...
WELL WELL WELL said.

Out of this, especially the Cambridges, are not simply royals, they are very rich royals from many various sources. William, received a personnal huge heritage from his mum, his granma the Queen has a huge personnal fortune, and Catherine's family is rich. If with all these pennies they could not have nice holidays......... :bang:

The Queen and Prince Philip have always gone to Balmoral during their summer, Charles, Camilla, Anne, Edward and Sophie have joined them for years.

This was because they choose to do, not because they could not afford anything else!!

I don't think I've seen any royal abroad (on holiday) since I last saw Charles in Klosters.
Prince Charles has travelled the Italian and Greek seas for years, mostly invited by John Latsis, in his hyper-hyper luxurious yacht.
Late Pcs Diana also. we al remember her fatal last summer cruise in the Alfayeed yacht...
As for the younger, Pcs Beatrice and Eugenie, are constantly on move in France, St Tropez, Monaco, etc etc

WELL WELL WELL said.

Out of this, especially the Cambridges, are not simply royals, they are very rich royals from many various sources. William, received a personnal huge heritage from his mum, his granma the Queen has a huge personnal fortune, and Catherine's family is rich. If with all these pennies they could not have nice holidays......... :bang:

Granny isn't going to pay for her son to go off on a three week holiday when her country is in a economic downturn. The royals already get enough stick for the amount they cost, spending vast amounts of money on holidays would worsen their image. Just because they have money doesn't mean they should go on nice holidays.

They didn't even pay for this day off in the Solomon Islands. The point isn't money, or that they aren't allowed time off. It's that if all people see is them going on holiday, and William 'working' and Catherine with the once a month engagement, they aren't putting across an incredible image of the future King and Queen.

This was because they choose to do, not because they could not afford anything else!!

Did I say otherwise?

Prince Charles has travelled the Italian and Greek seas for years, mostly invited by John Latsis, in his hyper-hyper luxurious yacht.

If you read what I wrote, you'll find that I said the last time I saw Charles abroad on holiday was in Klosters which was around 2008 time. Has he travelled the Italian and Greek seas recently? If so, I haven't seen him.

Late Pcs Diana also. we al remember her fatal last summer cruise in the Alfayeed yacht...

She was not a royal at the time, and when she was I cannot recall her ever going on holiday abroad that wasn't on the Britannia.

As for the younger, Pcs Beatrice and Eugenie, are constantly on move in France, St Tropez, Monaco, etc etc

And again, if you read what I wrote

The young royals prefer to go abroad, which is their right.

Charles & Camilla have taken vacations abroad and sometimes it's on friends yachts. The Earl & Countess of Wessex have also taken vacations abroad and sometimes it's skiing and sometimes they are in the caribbean. Princess Anne and her husband often get away when they can too. The same can be said for Prince Andrew. They make sure they spend some time with The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh but they also get away to other locations too.

In their younger days, The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh used to enjoy some vacations abroad too. They used to even join Princess Margaret in the caribbean.

When Her Majesty & Duke of Edinburgh took foreign tours back in the day, they also enjoyed some down time for a day or so. William & Catherine haven't done anything different.

Back
Top Bottom