Duke & Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to Singapore, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu - 9/2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, if they left around midday UK time, and the flight takes 12.5hrs, they should be in Singapore around 00:30 UK time which is 07:30 in Singapore. Have I got they right? I'm seriously crap with timezones.

I must have this wrong as Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton said they'd arrive in Singapore 'mid-afternoon'. Or maybe they're going to sleep before they do their first engagement?

Depends if it's a non stop flight or not. I've done Heathrow to Singapore and stopped in Dubai and also stopped in Malaysia to fly down to Singapore.

You got the timing right EIIR.

No, they will arrive in Singapore time at 2pm (now is 3.15am in Singapore) and proceed to their first event at 3.15pm (Singapore time) and a official dinner at Istana at 6.20pm (Singapore time)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a programme pictorial of their visit in Singapore

Attachments

• image-1362766702.jpg
    image-1362766702.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 409
No, they will arrive in Singapore time at 2pm (now is 3.15am in Singapore) and proceed to their first event at 3.15pm (Singapore time) and a official dinner at Istana at 6.20pm (Singapore time)

I hope jet lag doesn't smack them in the face. I have been affected by jet lag in really bad ways both times I've flown from eastern US to northern Japan.

a direct flight on Britsh Airways takes off at 8pm in London and arrives at 4pm in Singapore. So.... if they are landing on 2pm, then they must have taken off around 6pm. if they left earlier in the day - then maybe they have a layover?

there is a direct flight on Singapore Airlines (maybe the Singapore govt paid for) that left at 6:30pm and lands in Singapore at 2:20pm.

It seems that 2 pm 9/11 Singapore is 11pm 9/10 my time (west Coast US) so they are 15 hours ahead of my time.
And 2pm Singapore is 7 am United Kingdom time, so 7 hours ahead of those in Britain.
Here's a handy little calculator
Singapore Time Zone Converter Difference Calculator

Sorry but leaving the UK at midday and arriving 2pm in Singapore the following day, is impossible without a stopover of some kind. I imagine, they stop somewhere, sleep/rest and arrive in Singapore tomorrow at 2.
Doing an engagement that close to arriving is ridiculous, the should have left yesterday.

I have to say, I always found it so much easier in terms of jet lag when I flew west to the US from the UK, than when flying east to come home again. I never had any problem when visiting the US east coast, but flying back home the jet lag is so annoying. Suppose it doesn't help that I just can not sleep on aeroplanes, no matter what I do.

As you'd expect, preparations are well under way for the visit of TRH to Singapore. Here you can see the orchid named after Diana, which William and Kate will see at the Singapore Orchid Garden.

EIIR said:
As you'd expect, preparations are well under way for the visit of TRH to Singapore. *Here you can see the orchid named after Diana, which William and Kate will see at the Singapore Orchid Garden.

Still remember Diana was supposed to visit Singapore in Dec 1997 to attend a Aids awareness event (if I remember correctly). The Orchid naming was supposed to be part of her programme in Singapore. I was so excited but then came the sad news in Aug. Queen Noor of Jordan eventually attended the event in place of Diana in Dec 1997.

Last edited:
While I am looking forward to reports of the tour, I am aware of just how much actual work will be involved for both William and Catherine. They will be briefed for every stop on the tour. A potted history of the place and the actual people they will be meeting and any political pitfalls for them. They will have to be up with the play, greeting people by name or title and knowing enough to look and sound like they have a personal interest in where they are and who they are talking to.

All of this is very mentally intensive and if they are to "perform" up to the established level of "The Firm" they will be mentally and physically exhausted if for no other reason that they are not used to this style of life. Yes they will have fun moments and memories to treasure but it will not come without a hefty amount of very hard work.

As far as William is concerned I am impressed that he is willing to do such tours with all they entail while he is still holding down a full time job and, since Catherine is fairly new to all this, she is taking her lead from him. It is quite a heavy responsibility for him to undertake on behalf of his Grandmother.

Hear hear!! Well said, MARG. Those are the things people often forget when the lives of the Duke and Duchess are discussed. It isn't all glamorous. I can't imagine the stress of all that on top of having tried to sleep well on a plane (although I'm sure they have the pull out bed-seats). Having recently traveled to and form Australia, I can say that I just wasn't myself the two or three days after flying, both ways. I would NOT be in the mood to mix and mingle at that point.

Can you imagine landing after that long of a flight and then having to go the botanical gardens and then getting ready for a state dinner that night, possibly her first tiara event. More power to them both. What a first day!

ghost_night554 said:
3 hours to go till touchdown

Woo Hoo! Is it wrong that I am this excited about this tour? I think Kate is going to just shine. You are on the west coast, right? Me too... Keeping these times straight is going to be interesting.

Am on the way to the Botanic Garden. Drizzling now...hopefully I can catch the royal couple today. It's not supposed to be a open to public event but just going to try my luck.

Last edited:
tlklhm said:
Am on the way to the Botanic Garden. Drizzling now...hopefully I can catch the royal couple today. It's not supposed to be a open to public event but just going to try my luck.

Best of luck to you ;)

I'm excited about this tour too. I can't wait for some video coverage.

Gorgeous orchid! I can't wait to see the orchids named after Their Royal Highnesses! :D

Haha! I thought that was a huge fan! Didn't realize it was an airport employee preparing a good welcome :)

They're here!!!
richard palmer ‏@royalreporter the duke and duchess of cambridge have arrived in singapore at the start of a nine-day tour of south-east asia and the south pacific.
Mark Stewart ‏@RegalEyes The Orchid Vanda William and Catherine named after the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in Singapore today http://pic.twitter.com/7K0ocYrN
They're Orchid!
HELLO! ‏@hellomag The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have arrived in Singapore, keep your eyes peeled for more updates and pictures

PrincePatrick said:
OOoOOooOooooh!!!! What an interesting flower!

I wonder if Kate will wear it somehow? Maybe on her hair at one of these dinners?

A very interesting idea! I wonder how the florists would feel about snipping flowers off such a prized orchid...

Rebecca English@RE_DailyMail
The Duchess of Cambridge is today wearing a pink kimono style dress with an orchid pattern by Jenny Packham on arrival in Singapore

Back
Top Bottom