The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-18-2012, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Belga picture gallery
BelgaPicture - Category details

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge nearly drowned by climate change
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge nearly drowned by climate change – Telegraph Blogs

Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
well, they seem to have been snorkeling yesterday, on a desertes island the day before... while in canada, they got some time off in a hut in the forest if i well remember. i doubt many senior businessmen get to do that on their official trips out. :)
Maybe it's just the international bank that I work for, but when I'm away on business at my employer's request, they put me up in fairly nice hotels and in the evenings (if there's no work events to attend) I can do whatever the hell I want with my time. I've been lucky enough to visit several museums in interesting cities, as well as visit markets and go shopping among other things.

If I'm ever sent to a tropical island by my employer, have a free evening and there are facilities for snorkelling nearby I'll jump at the chance and my employer won't care. I can do what I want with my free time, even if I'm travelling on business.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Heir Apparent

You are right, I'would do also like you.

I do not understand why some members of TRF criticize W+K, like if the couple was obliged to have a life poorer that an unemployed worker.
They are royals, they are doing a great job. Out of this, of course, they have nice holidays, and of course they have nice outfits!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think what shocks me is that some people dump all their complaints on the Cambridges for some reason. Members of the royal family have always enjoyed nice holidays when they can get away. The British royals have nice holidays, the Danish royals have nice holidays, the Swedish royals have nice holidays, the Norwegian royals have nice vacations and the Dutch royals have nice vacations too. Some of them have actual yachts to enjoy vacations on but the anger always manage to fall on William & Catherine and I think it's unfair.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

That's not it. If you're not interested in any other royal family than the British, why would you comment on their holiday plans?

The Queen and Prince Philip have always gone to Balmoral during their summer, Charles, Camilla, Anne, Edward and Sophie have joined them for years. I don't think I've seen any royal abroad (on holiday) since I last saw Charles in Klosters. The young royals prefer to go abroad, which is their right.

This day off that William and Catherine had was offered by the Solomon Islands government to promote tourism for the island. Whilst I doubt they asked for it, they didn't turn it down. I wouldn't have either.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think what shocks me is that some people dump all their complaints on the Cambridges for some reason...
WELL WELL WELL said.

Out of this, especially the Cambridges, are not simply royals, they are very rich royals from many various sources. William, received a personnal huge heritage from his mum, his granma the Queen has a huge personnal fortune, and Catherine's family is rich. If with all these pennies they could not have nice holidays.........
Old 09-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge don grass skirts tribal dance South Pacific | Mail Online

These pictures are amazing and I'm glad to see TRH joining in on the traditional dances. I'm sure The Queen are very proud of them as they did a great job at representing her on this Diamond Jubliee Tour.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The Queen and Prince Philip have always gone to Balmoral during their summer, Charles, Camilla, Anne, Edward and Sophie have joined them for years.
This was because they choose to do, not because they could not afford anything else!!

Quote:
I don't think I've seen any royal abroad (on holiday) since I last saw Charles in Klosters.
Prince Charles has travelled the Italian and Greek seas for years, mostly invited by John Latsis, in his hyper-hyper luxurious yacht.
Late Pcs Diana also. we al remember her fatal last summer cruise in the Alfayeed yacht...
As for the younger, Pcs Beatrice and Eugenie, are constantly on move in France, St Tropez, Monaco, etc etc
Old 09-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
WELL WELL WELL said.

Out of this, especially the Cambridges, are not simply royals, they are very rich royals from many various sources. William, received a personnal huge heritage from his mum, his granma the Queen has a huge personnal fortune, and Catherine's family is rich. If with all these pennies they could not have nice holidays.........
Granny isn't going to pay for her son to go off on a three week holiday when her country is in a economic downturn. The royals already get enough stick for the amount they cost, spending vast amounts of money on holidays would worsen their image. Just because they have money doesn't mean they should go on nice holidays.

They didn't even pay for this day off in the Solomon Islands. The point isn't money, or that they aren't allowed time off. It's that if all people see is them going on holiday, and William 'working' and Catherine with the once a month engagement, they aren't putting across an incredible image of the future King and Queen.

Quote:
This was because they choose to do, not because they could not afford anything else!!
Did I say otherwise?

Quote:
Prince Charles has travelled the Italian and Greek seas for years, mostly invited by John Latsis, in his hyper-hyper luxurious yacht.
If you read what I wrote, you'll find that I said the last time I saw Charles abroad on holiday was in Klosters which was around 2008 time. Has he travelled the Italian and Greek seas recently? If so, I haven't seen him.

Quote:
Late Pcs Diana also. we al remember her fatal last summer cruise in the Alfayeed yacht...
She was not a royal at the time, and when she was I cannot recall her ever going on holiday abroad that wasn't on the Britannia.

Quote:
As for the younger, Pcs Beatrice and Eugenie, are constantly on move in France, St Tropez, Monaco, etc etc
And again, if you read what I wrote

Quote:
The young royals prefer to go abroad, which is their right.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Charles & Camilla have taken vacations abroad and sometimes it's on friends yachts. The Earl & Countess of Wessex have also taken vacations abroad and sometimes it's skiing and sometimes they are in the caribbean. Princess Anne and her husband often get away when they can too. The same can be said for Prince Andrew. They make sure they spend some time with The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh but they also get away to other locations too.

In their younger days, The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh used to enjoy some vacations abroad too. They used to even join Princess Margaret in the caribbean.

When Her Majesty & Duke of Edinburgh took foreign tours back in the day, they also enjoyed some down time for a day or so. William & Catherine haven't done anything different.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Gentry

I saw the pictures of William and Kate dancing in their grass skirts. Glad to see they are enjoying themselves so much :)
Old 09-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Here's video of them dancing. They look like they're having so much fun...William is really into it.

Prince William: Dancing in Tuvalu 'an amazing evening' | ITV News
Old 09-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think what shocks me is that some people dump all their complaints on the Cambridges for some reason...
I've come to the conclusion, Dman, that there are a group of posters who are huge fans of other royal ladies, especially the crown princesses. Kate gets more international press attention (good and bad) in a week than those women get in a year which has made some people very resentful. Plus, the Cambridges didn't invite most of their favourite crown princesses to their wedding or the party the night before (which was hosted by the Queen), which also did not go down well. I could be way off the mark, but I don't think so.

On overseas holidays, Charles goes on holiday to Romania on a nearly yearly basis nowadays. We also know that Camilla has been on Mediterranean cruises in recent years too. Ultimately though, we often don't know when the royals have been abroad. I mean, had Charles and Camilla spent a weekend in the Linleys' house in France during August when they were off the radar, would any of us have known about it? Doubtful.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Here's video of them dancing. They look like they're having so much fun...William is really into it.

Prince William: Dancing in Tuvalu 'an amazing evening' | ITV News
This is sooo cute. And, for me, the best part is that everyone around them is having as much if not more fun than the Cambridges are! Look at all those happy people.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

I love that video. I even got up to dance when I watched it.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Serene Highness

I'm sitting on an airplane waiting to take off and I played the video ... The audio was turned up and I started laughing 2 people and a flight attendant looked over my shoulder and we all just laughed. They look so happy ! I think Harry has William beat in the dance gene... But William gave it a good go. Kate just looked so happy.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
They didn't even pay for this day off in the Solomon Islands. The point isn't money, or that they aren't allowed time off. It's that if all people see is them going on holiday, and William 'working' and Catherine with the once a month engagement, they aren't putting across an incredible image of the future King and Queen.
Actually I would go as far as to say that this was well planned in advance that they would have "time off" to go snorkeling. Wasn't it in Wales that Kate wasn't even recognized while trying to buy a wet suit? Some of the best PR for a place is showing people enjoying themselves and this area is great for snorkeling. If it really was "time off" we'd not hear about it I think.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I'm sitting on an airplane waiting to take off and I played the video ... The audio was turned up and I started laughing 2 people and a flight attendant looked over my shoulder and we all just laughed. They look so happy ! I think Harry has William beat in the dance gene... But William gave it a good go. Kate just looked so happy.
I agree. Just seeing them happy and enjoying this tour has made me happy for them. I saw a segment of this dance on CNN and Catherine looked like she couldn't wait to join this dance. William watched her before joining and they both gave it the old college try. I'm sure their family and friends back at home have been enjoying watching the coverage and this dance.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR

If I'm ever sent to a tropical island by my employer, have a free evening and there are facilities for snorkelling nearby I'll jump at the chance and my employer won't care. I can do what I want with my free time, even if I'm travelling on business.
And thank goodness for that! I doubt any employer would "force" anyone to work over the whole duration of the business trip. That would be silly. There's something call work law that doesn't allow companies to work you out more than 8 hs per day in most places. The fact tgat you are on a trip doesnt change this and the same applies: once your day finishes it is as when you go home at your home city. It would be silly if they forced you to stay in the hotel just because You are on a work trip!

My point is that I doubt very many people go on business trips to an isolated island like this. So yes, to most mortals this is almost holiday. But if you are taken to Tuvalu on your work trips, by all means, you are one of the lucky few so go for snorkelling if you get he chance and make us jealous! :)

Back to today's schedule. If I had to choose a highlight from this trip it would be todays dance with the locals ! Kate looks like a natural! Was she briefed on what the dance was like?

The atmosphere is quite relaxed, great to see! This is my highlight.

I wonder if they will stay in Polynesia after the trip for some private time.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 09-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Majesty

Spletnik.ru --- Duke's and Duchess' of Cambridge tour: Tuvalu