Duke & Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to Singapore, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu - 9/2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw the pictures of William and Kate dancing in their grass skirts. Glad to see they are enjoying themselves so much :)

I think what shocks me is that some people dump all their complaints on the Cambridges for some reason...
I've come to the conclusion, Dman, that there are a group of posters who are huge fans of other royal ladies, especially the crown princesses. Kate gets more international press attention (good and bad) in a week than those women get in a year which has made some people very resentful. Plus, the Cambridges didn't invite most of their favourite crown princesses to their wedding or the party the night before (which was hosted by the Queen), which also did not go down well. I could be way off the mark, but I don't think so.

On overseas holidays, Charles goes on holiday to Romania on a nearly yearly basis nowadays. We also know that Camilla has been on Mediterranean cruises in recent years too. Ultimately though, we often don't know when the royals have been abroad. I mean, had Charles and Camilla spent a weekend in the Linleys' house in France during August when they were off the radar, would any of us have known about it? Doubtful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love that video. I even got up to dance when I watched it.

I'm sitting on an airplane waiting to take off and I played the video ... The audio was turned up and I started laughing 2 people and a flight attendant looked over my shoulder and we all just laughed. They look so happy ! I think Harry has William beat in the dance gene... But William gave it a good go. Kate just looked so happy.

They didn't even pay for this day off in the Solomon Islands. The point isn't money, or that they aren't allowed time off. It's that if all people see is them going on holiday, and William 'working' and Catherine with the once a month engagement, they aren't putting across an incredible image of the future King and Queen.

Actually I would go as far as to say that this was well planned in advance that they would have "time off" to go snorkeling. Wasn't it in Wales that Kate wasn't even recognized while trying to buy a wet suit? Some of the best PR for a place is showing people enjoying themselves and this area is great for snorkeling. If it really was "time off" we'd not hear about it I think.

I'm sitting on an airplane waiting to take off and I played the video ... The audio was turned up and I started laughing 2 people and a flight attendant looked over my shoulder and we all just laughed. They look so happy ! I think Harry has William beat in the dance gene... But William gave it a good go. Kate just looked so happy.

I agree. Just seeing them happy and enjoying this tour has made me happy for them. I saw a segment of this dance on CNN and Catherine looked like she couldn't wait to join this dance. William watched her before joining and they both gave it the old college try. I'm sure their family and friends back at home have been enjoying watching the coverage and this dance.

EIIR said:
If I'm ever sent to a tropical island by my employer, have a free evening and there are facilities for snorkelling nearby I'll jump at the chance and my employer won't care. I can do what I want with my free time, even if I'm travelling on business.

And thank goodness for that! I doubt any employer would "force" anyone to work over the whole duration of the business trip. That would be silly. There's something call work law that doesn't allow companies to work you out more than 8 hs per day in most places. The fact tgat you are on a trip doesnt change this and the same applies: once your day finishes it is as when you go home at your home city. It would be silly if they forced you to stay in the hotel just because You are on a work trip!

My point is that I doubt very many people go on business trips to an isolated island like this. So yes, to most mortals this is almost holiday. But if you are taken to Tuvalu on your work trips, by all means, you are one of the lucky few so go for snorkelling if you get he chance and make us jealous! :)

Back to today's schedule. If I had to choose a highlight from this trip it would be todays dance with the locals ! Kate looks like a natural! Was she briefed on what the dance was like?

The atmosphere is quite relaxed, great to see! This is my highlight.

I wonder if they will stay in Polynesia after the trip for some private time.

Last edited:
So cute and natural,you can tell they are enjoying their time there..

im so sad its almost over;_;
it has been a great tour, and i hope they can visit more countries soon. i think it wasnt announced more tours for them right?
maybe next year...

I've come to the conclusion, Dman, that there are a group of posters who are huge fans of other royal ladies...
Many thumbs up for this comment. In just a few hours of browsing I have identified many of these posters lol.

I think this tour is viewed as a massive success both in the UK and abroad.
It seems with some people, anything the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge undertake on behalf of HM or the government is a waste of 'tax-payers money' and yet appear to have no issue with the Earl and Countess of Wessex undertaking two Jubilee tours and a working trip to Canada, all in the same calendar year for example (not that there should be an issue)

I've always been taught that with any negative, there's a positive if you look for it.

With the success of this tour and how wonderfully both Will and Kate meshed with all the people they met, its kind of weird that the attention is focusing on one man's/woman's lens getting her bare breast. Most of the world will only see the "scandal" and the legal actions that have ensued but I guess we're lucky. We see them as they really are. They're able to in the midst of everything going haywire to put it to the back burner and enjoy the now.

reminds me of the poem by Kipling "If"

This was such a nice way to spend my break at work! This couple really has no problem socializing with people, regardless of class, race, etc. Of course I love seeing them interact with kids. They just get in there, and become kids themselves :D.

I thought these 2 quotes from my friend were important and that I should post them
Brynnan Honore

Kate was visibly moved when she saw all the preparations for their visit. She said she did get a little emotional when they were carried by the men and saw the Tuvuluans waiting for their arrival. I do not believe the DoC realizes just how many lives and hearts she has touched in the year that she has been in the role. I believe it hit her yesterday. Catherine has left her footprints in the sand of time.

Brynnan Honore

According to the progamme, they'll be making an appearance at 8:10 am. (It is after 5:30 am.) The plane to Brisbane will depart at 9 am, if there are no delays like yesterday from Marau to Honiara. Change of planes in Brisbane, and that will be a wrap for TRH. About to get a nap in. This is about to be the longest day of traveling. A spa day is in order. Later.

I agree, The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge Diamond Jubilee Tour is a major success for the United Kingdom & Commonwealth.

I think people just have to realize that the royal couple are doing their job on behalf of The Queen and there will be many more trips like this that they will embark on.

Congrats to TRH for carrying out such a beautiful tour. Also, congrats to HRH The Duchess of Cambridge on successfully delivering her first official speech abroad. I think Catherine's confidence has grown a lot since she married into the royal family and I think she's proving to everyone that she got what it takes to be the future Princess of Wales/Queen.

HRH is going to make a lovely Queen and the Duke of Cambridge is indeed 'lucky' to have Catherine by his side IMO.

georgina brewer ‏@Georginaitv Finally toodle-oo Tuvalu as royals prepare to leave the island and make long journey back to uk. It's been fun but it's off to bed for us!

And that's a wrap for the royal tour of 2012 from the Duke and Duchess. I'm going to bed and sleeping for 4 days straight.

Kelly Mathews ‏@allthingsregal Will& #Kate 2depart Tuvalu via Funafuti Airport soon. They'll return home 2London via a brief change of aircraft in Brisbane #royaltour
Kelly Mathews ‏@allthingsregal
Last night Will & #Kate became the 1st members of the Royal Family to stay overnight on a Tuvalu Island, they fly home 2day

Despite earlier reports
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter The world will get a view of William and Kate on Australian soil - a transfer at Brisbane airport -together for the first time after all.
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter William and Kate left Tuvalu earlier and have agreed to a media facility at Brisbane airport. Palace officials had said it wouldn't happen.
georgina brewer ‏@Georginaitv And a final first of the tour for #Kate as she and #William transit in Brisbane, It will be her first very brief visit to Australia #royal
georgina brewer ‏@Georginaitv @RE_DailyMail: their luggage is transferred to the commercial flight they will be taking back to the UK - Quantas and then British Airways”
Kelly Mathews ‏@allthingsregal Get out UR cameras! Will & #Kate set 2land @ Brisbane Airport, AUS approx. 1:20pm local time! Quick aircraft change & walkabout #royaltour

Kelly Mathews ‏@allthingsregal #royaltour time check: Will & #Kate are almost 1/2 way in2 their 4hr & 30min trip 2Brisbane. Local time 11:10am. Anticipated arrival 1:20pm

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail For those asking about pictures of Duke and Duchess's departure,they will be on Mail Online asap.We should also have pix of them at Brisbane

I don't know why anyone would resent a day off on a tour such as this. Some people seem to think that it is all fun and games and easy. I can tell you it is NOT. I have never done anything of this magnitude and I am not an important person but in the early 80's my husband and I spent 6 weeks in the orient which involved pretty constant meetings, dinners and receptions and travelling from city to city. Yes, we did some sight seeing but still it was exhausting. While traveling as any kind of "amabassador" and having to smile, chat, shake hands and be "pleasant" CONSTANTLY, I can tell you it is very wearing and anyone doing this kind of thing needs a break from the stress, beause it IS stressful no matter how long you have been doing it. I think they have done a fantastic job for the UK.

Rebecca English@RE_DailyMail
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have just left Tuvalu in their jet en route for England.They were carried back onto their plane by islanders

Kate was wearing a brightly coloured Erdem summer dress as she and William waved goodbye to their hosts - and to their Diamond Jubilee tour

Sadly the couple won't be making a formal appearance in Australia, though. They will wait in the VIP area at Brisbane airport for an hour...

has anyone noticed, kate looks a lot more relaxed? she doesnt seem to be fidgetting with her hair as much as she use to.

has anyone noticed, kate looks a lot more relaxed? she doesnt seem to be fidgetting with her hair as much as she use to.

I noticed the same thing. HRH looks looks beautiful in the photos from this tour.

Ghost_night - thanks soooooo much for all you did on this tour. I referred back to your posts often and you kept me up to date with what happened when. Kudos!!!!

Woo Hoo ....it's kind of like a curtain call.

Maybe we will get a quip of a coming attraction. I expect Australia to be their next big tour..late 2013/2014.

Seems so rediculous that having been in this part of the world, that they should be on the continent for an hour in transit. I can't imagine that we'll see them visit Australia for at least 5 or more years which is rather dissapointing. The reception they would recieve here would be immense.

But, the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall are visiting Australia from the 5th to 10th of November (itself not a very long visit when one considers the distance or that they can tour Canada for 14 day stints) with an expected attendance at the Melbourne Cup which is Australia's premier Thoroughbred horse race.

Back
Top Bottom