The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

It looks like Kate caught the dress before the wind swept it up, so she's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
That hasn't stopped the Queen being caught out by gusts of wind from time to time. A strong enough gust is going to lift a skirt no matter what weights are in it.
Exactly, plenty of royals have been caught by a gust of wind. The only way to prevent it, is to wear pants 24/7.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Royal Wardrobe Malfunctions and Mishaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
This problem with Kate's skirts becomes a stupid problem. She sould definitely PUT WEIGHTS to her skirts, as the Queen does!!
The Queen doesn't have weight in her skirts.

Quote:
There’s a common misconception that the Queen has tiny lead weights sewn into her hems. But Her Majesty doesn’t need this old-fashioned trick to preserve her modesty. All of her dresses and suits have underskirts made with a tighter circumference than normal, so there is no chance of them lifting above knee-height. Source: Dailymail

Old 09-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Exactly plenty of royals have been caught by a gust of wind. The only way to prevent it is to wear pants 24/7.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Royal Wardrobe Malfunctions and Mishaps
That's a great link you have provided. I laugh when I read some of the comments in the tabloids and faux-shock/outrage from people.
My goodness some people like to think that winds gusts were 'invented' only after the Duchess of Cambridge joined the BRF.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Majesty

I thought I was the only one that reconized that many of the Queen's overcoats and dresses seem to be too heavy and looks as if it's dragging her down to the ground. Of course I do understand that she's older and gets cold when out and about.

I think William, the royal family and Britian should be proud on how Catherine handled this situation. She didn't let it distract her from doing her duty on representing the Queen abroad. She continued on with so much grace, dignity and respect. She just did what she had to do and I'm proud of her too.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Majesty

Lets not forget that Catherine also wear underskirts with many of her dresses too. As I said before, many of the royal ladies have trouble with the wind from time to time. The anger you sometimes see expressed on the DM site when Catherine have a little trouble with windy conditions is really over the top and you can almost imagine the complainers throwing stuff around their homes and ripping the doors off the hinges when they see or read something about Catherine having some windy problems. It just happens sometimes. The Queen have been through this, the Queen Mother, Sarah, Diana, etc.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Serene Highness

The Duchess of Cambridge channels Queen

Not sure if this is the right thread for this or not..

How the Duchess of Cambridge channelled the Queen during her smash hit Asian and Pacific tour | Mail Online
Old 09-19-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
That's a great link you have provided. I laugh when I read some of the comments in the tabloids and faux-shock/outrage from people.
My goodness some people like to think that winds gusts were 'invented' only after the Duchess of Cambridge joined the BRF.
I know, the reactions amuse me too. She's definitely not the only one to have her skirt blown by the wind. Wardrobe mishaps have happened to so many royals. It's no doubt embarrassing for them, but it happens. There's only so much they can do to prevent it.

I love the photos and videos that have come out of this trip. William and Kate seemed to have really enjoyed themselves. They have done such a wonderful job representing the Queen. Especially in light of this whole photo controversy.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
My favorite has always been with DOC Camilla as she was wearing those support hose (I think it was just after she had the cast on her leg removed). I think I'd rather people see my bum than my sup-hose! It's as bad as getting caught with you Spanx showing!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Courtier

at what time are they schedule to arrive in London?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I haven't heard anything in terms of exact timing all I know is they arrive sometime tomorrow. The arrived in Brisbane at 1:20pm yesterday and stayed for 2 hours so they would have left close to 3:30pm and Australia has a 9 hour difference to the UK
Old 09-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Some sad individuals seem to get a vicarious ego boost by raking Kate over the coals for every tiny indiscretion. They seem to think that they are the experts and are in a position to sneer down their noses like the Dowager Countess of Granthem.

I seem to remember reading on other royal message boards page after page of people trashing Kate for nearly breaching the order of precedence when she almost went down the stairs on the royal barge before Camilla during the Diamond Jubilee. She realised her error and stepped back (despite it being bloody freezing and pouring with rain), but you'd think she'd pushed the Queen overboard the way some people went on.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Courtier

It has been great reading about this trip and looking at picks of this lovely couple. A huge thanks to all who contributed in any way.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Gentry

Hope Kate can overcome this and move on with there Royal Life.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness is sweet View Post
Hope Kate can overcome this and move on with there Royal Life.
IMO, their actions after this story broke and the professional and friendly manner in which they conducted themselves during the remainder of the tour speaks volumes about their ability to put duty first in their lives.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Gentry

You could only take so much you know
Old 09-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeOfAster View Post
I believe it and the visit at Buckingham Palace with President and Mrs. Obama was the U.S
consolation prize for not being at the wedding. If they officially met the Obama's during the U.S. trip it would have been a more official State visit which it was not to be so they met them during a planned U.K. visit. Yes I know that no world leaders came to the wedding in that sense because it was not a Wedding like Charles and Diana because William is just second in line. The tacking on was done IMO to honor the U.S. though.
HM and Prince Phillip met the Obamas. that's it
Old 09-19-2012, 08:58 PM

^William and Kate met them as well. They had a brief visit (at Buckingham Palace) during President Obama's 2011 State visit.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
^William and Kate met them as well. They had a brief visit (at Buckingham Palace) during President Obama's 2011 State visit.
I am sorry, you are right. I just remember Mrs.Obama's famous touching the Queen which made headlines.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Nobility

This video is so much fun!

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, . . . .
Old 09-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Nobility

Loved it, Kate seemed to get better @ it, but William's dancing seemed to get, umm, less like the 'real' dancers and more like, well, let's just say it's a good thing he doesn't aspire to a career as a dancer. They both seemed to be genuinely enjoying themselves.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:59 AM
Heir Apparent

pardon my language but where the hell are they comin from? I just searched Heathrow's arrivals and there's none from Brisbane, I'm confused.