The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-19-2012, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Heading home: Kate swaps grass skirt for practical jeans after dress is caught by wind in Australia

Read more: Kate Middleton Closer photos: Duchess heads home after scandal but her dress is caught by wind! | Mail Online

Old 09-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Courtier

Why doesn't she have her hems weighted?? She had a much worse fly up on her honeymoon tour so she knows how that can happen!

LaRae

Old 09-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Commoner

I wish she would contact princess Mary and get help with her clothing!!!!!Her choices and especially shoe choices are horrible..... and worst is her b....y hair. Only time it looks any good is when it's up. Not a fan of Kate at all
Old 09-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Courtier

^I hope she does not. Everyone has there own personal style and personal taste, no needs to try to change them. Even if one doesn't like them.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Serene Highness

I'm a guy and don't cast as critical an eye to fashion as maybe some others do and to each their own but IMO the Duchess of Cambridge always and I mean always looks on point for her public engagements.
I am biased I guessed but I think HRH is the most beautiful princess in Europe and again IMO doesn't need to take fashion tips from anyone.

IMO, the Duchess of Cambridge has a more natural 'look' than CPM. Mary looks a little too 'polished' for my tastes but that's just me.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Serene Highness

A big thanks to everyone who have been posting updates and photos from their tour. This forum really has a dedicated group of people on here.
Can't wait until the next fabulous adventure of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Heading home: Kate swaps grass skirt for practical jeans after dress is caught by wind in Australia

Read more: Kate Middleton Closer photos: Duchess heads home after scandal but her dress is caught by wind! | Mail Online
This problem with Kate's skirts becomes a stupid problem. She sould definitely PUT WEIGHTS to her skirts, as the Queen does!!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
This problem with Kate's skirts becomes a stupid problem. She sould definitely PUT WEIGHTS to her skirts, as the Queen does!!
That hasn't stopped the Queen being caught out by gusts of wind from time to time. A strong enough gust is going to lift a skirt no matter what weights are in it.

susiewong said:

Quote:
I wish she would contact princess Mary and get help with her clothing!!!!!Her choices and especially shoe choices are horrible..... and worst is her b....y hair. Only time it looks any good is when it's up. Not a fan of Kate at all
You mean Kate should contact Mary's stylists? Mary has staff to source and purchase outfits for her, Kate does not. Although in saying that, I don't personally feel Kate should be following Mary's lead sartorially; Mary's a decade older than her. Kate's doing perfectly well so far on her own.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Kate has rhythm! She looked like a natural or had been rehearsed dancing in her grass skirt. She seemed to get the hand movements beautifully!! William seems to have inheirited his father's dancing gene, but points for trying.
What a smash hit tour! HM should be very proud of them both, Kate seems to have relaxed into her role and let her best qualities come through. thanks to all for posting!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Royal Highness

Video:

Duchess of Cambridge changes outfit twice in just three hours in Australia - Telegraph
Old 09-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Aristocracy

I just love titles of articles on the internet! She actually only chnaged her clothes one time. She started out in a dress and changed into pants.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
They have already made an official visit to the United States, be it with no luncheon at the White House. Quite sufficient for the time being I should think whilst there are Commonwealth countries with a direct link to the institution of monarchy through their respective constitutions yet awaiting their first visit by the couple.
Actually, the Duke & Duchess havn't made an official visit to the US yet. They came here last year to support the Royal Foundation, the arts and visited some charites but they wasn't officially welcomed by the President. That's why i'm hoping they will make an official visit here at some point. Although I do know they will most likely visit some realms before then.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Majesty

I agree, I think Catherine is doing great on her own. A lot of the royal ladies have a problem with the wind every now and then. Weights are fine but I think weights have a down side too. I sometimes think the Queen's clothes kinda weigh her down a bit.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Actually, the Duke & Duchess havn't made an official visit to the US yet. They came here last year to support the Royal Foundation, the arts and visited some charites but they wasn't officially welcomed by the President. That's why i'm hoping they will make an official visit here at some point. Although I do know they will most likely visit some realms before then.
I actually think (and I'm not alone in this thinking) that last year's visit to the US was so that they need not return to the US for quite a number of years - likely a decade or more. To return to the US much sooner than that would quite frankly anger some of the people of the Commonwealth nations - which the BRF is well aware of and loathe to do.

Don't forget that the US portion of that visit was not originally planned for and was 'tacked on' at the end stages of planning the Canadian tour.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I agree, I think Catherine is doing great on her own. A lot of the royal ladies have a problem with the wind every now and then. Weights are fine but I think weights have a down side too. I sometimes think the Queen's clothes kinda weigh her down a bit.
I agree with you, Dman. The Queen's an elderly woman and so most of her outfits are actually made of quite heavy materials to offer her a bit more warmth. Her clothes can look rather boxy and heavy, although she almost always looks fabulous.

I must say, on a more general note, this has been another tremendously successful tour for William and Kate, made all the more impressive by the difficulties emanating from a certain French magazine. I've actually had several people at work and among my friends remark to me how much they admired Kate's solidering on after that all happened. She always had a warm smile to offer everyone she met, was engaged and interested and left a very positive impression. There's an inner strength there too which will be so important to her for her life in The Firm.

I hope the Soloman Islands and Tuvalu, in particular, can use the invaluable international PR generated over the last few days to try and build a prosperous and secure future for their citizens. I'd love to visit those islands some day.

If you compare the level of attention William and Kate's overseas tours attract with that of other royal couples within the BRF and across other RFs, it's truly like night and day. They cope with it very well, though, with a positive and friendly demeanour which is to their credit.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanRoyal View Post
I actually think (and I'm not alone in this thinking) that last year's visit to the US was so that they need not return to the US for quite a number of years - likely a decade or more. To return to the US much sooner than that would quite frankly anger some of the people of the Commonwealth nations - which the BRF is well aware of and loathe to do.

Don't forget that the US portion of that visit was not originally planned for and was 'tacked on' at the end stages of planning the Canadian tour.
Yes, I know that. That's why I said that I fully understand that the Cambridges will focus on paying official visits to the realms and Commonwealth countries.

I was just stating that the Cambridges haven't made an official visit to the Uunted States yet. I'm not sure it will be a decade before they do but it may take a couple of years.

I remember all too well the noise that was made when Charles & Camilla made the US their first visit after their wedding in 2005.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post

You mean Kate should contact Mary's stylists? Mary has staff to source and purchase outfits for her, Kate does not.
Having a stylist does not mean you don't decide what you're going to wear. Mary wears what Mary likes, with or without outsourced opinions and suggestions.

Quote:
They visited the United States in an official capacity as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. The contents of their itinerary doesn't matter, the fact remains that the visit was not private and that they officially represented themselves.

Being welcomed by the President generally either means he is host for an incoming state visit or that a foreign head of state or heir has made an official visit to Washington DC.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
I have officially given up on Kate, her flowing dresses, and tarmacs. After the disaster in Canada, (yes, there are pictures of her bum on the internet of that episode) she should give up on silk skirts or dresses at an airport. And no weights are required, just a wool or straight skirt will do fine. I am not sure what is going through that girl's mind.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanRoyal
I actually think (and I'm not alone in this thinking) that last year's visit to the US was so that they need not return to the US for quite a number of years - likely a decade or more. To return to the US much sooner than that would quite frankly anger some of the Commonwealth nations - which the BRF is well aware of and loath to do.

I believe it and the visit at Buckingham Palace with President and Mrs. Obama was the U.S
consolation prize for not being at the wedding. If they officially met the Obama's during the U.S. trip it would have been a more official State visit which it was not to be so they met them during a planned U.K. visit. Yes I know that no world leaders came to the wedding in that sense because it was not a Wedding like Charles and Diana because William is just second in line. The tacking on was done IMO to honor the U.S. though.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanRoyal View Post
I actually think (and I'm not alone in this thinking) that last year's visit to the US was so that they need not return to the US for quite a number of years - likely a decade or more. To return to the US much sooner than that would quite frankly anger some of the Commonwealth nations - which the BRF is well aware of and loathe to do.

Yes and speaking as a Canadian who works in the media and had an opportunity to discuss this issue with several people as part of a professional project I can tell you that a few Canadians were ...er ... cranky that they even went to the States at all. While here they paddled in canoes, met with aboriginal groups, played hockey and rode around in cars and carriages waving to crowds. When they went to the States they dressed in evening wear and attended a Hollywood event. For a country that used to suffer from a little bit of "poor cousin" mentality (which changed almost diametrically after 9-11) it felt ... I guess "insulting" is the word I would use ... to some Canadians.

They're celebrities to most Americans and to most Canadians they are anything but that and to see them "celebrified" was a source of ... ire, I suppose. But it was more than that ... Canadians share a lot with Americans (and vice versa) ... and I think it boils down to a reluctance to share the thing Canadians have always respected and honoured with people who... well tossed them out at gunpoint :) Our reward was to be "special".

It's complicated :)

This is not my personal opinion, just sharing what teeny tiny insight I might have based on my professional experience.