Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to Los Angeles, California - July 8-10, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonk

Administrator
City
Somewhere in
Country
United States
The newly wed Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit California in July following their first official tour as a married couple in Canada, the royal family announced Thursday.

Prince William and Catherine are scheduled to be in California from July 8-10, Clarence House and St. James' Palace said in a statement.
The prince has never visited the United States in an official capacity, although he has come on a private trip. This will be the duchess' first time ever to come to the United States, the royal statement explained.
The couple married April 29, in an event watched by an estimated 2 billion viewers around the globe.

Prince William's father, Prince Charles, is currently in the United States. Wednesday, he visited a farm near Washington and met with President Barack Obama at the White House. Prince Charles is a longtime public advocate of sustainable and organic agriculture.

it's gonna be hysterical for sure...

Well that's exciting news! I wonder why California was chosen for the extra three days? My first official visit to the United States - erm... my honeymoon ;-) - was New England which I thought was a wonderful place to go for a first trip.

I think the Canadian/Californian trip will be well covered in the media!

Maybe Vancouver BC is on their itinerary. It's just a skip to California, depending where you visit.

it's gonna be hysterical for sure...

Why hysterical?

Last edited:
:previous:

With the media coverage...

Well that's exciting news! I wonder why California was chosen for the extra three days? My first official visit to the United States - erm... my honeymoon ;-) - was New England which I thought was a wonderful place to go for a first trip.

I think the Canadian/Californian trip will be well covered in the media!

Well covered is an understatement. Celebrities in the US are fair game for Paparazzi and Royalty will be no exception...particularly in Hollywood. I am somewhat surprised that they will not be going to Washington D.C. I imagine Obama will be viewed in the media as being slighted once again. First with the wedding invite, and now with their first trip to the US. We shall see how that all plays out.

Prince Charles is in DC right now, but I haven't seen even a blip in the media about it. That won't be the case when the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit.

I live in DC and there has been coverage of Charles's visit. Its been on the local news and mentioned in the Washington Post. I haven't been out yet so it might even be in the Washington Times.

And this LA visit has nothing to do with Obama...I am still waiting for an agenda. What's the purpose of this stop over?

C-SPAN's website has a video of his speech at Georgetown University. Link also in POW visit to USA.

The extra three days might be private time. Perhaps they will stay at the Madonna Inn (not named after the singer) just outside San Luis Obispo. It is a wonderful old resort that is built into the Pacific cliffs. One of the guest rooms is hewn from solid rock.

Well covered is an understatement. Celebrities in the US are fair game for Paparazzi and Royalty will be no exception...particularly in Hollywood. I am somewhat surprised that they will not be going to Washington D.C. I imagine Obama will be viewed in the media as being slighted once again. First with the wedding invite, and now with their first trip to the US. We shall see how that all plays out.

Prince Charles is in DC right now, but I haven't seen even a blip in the media about it. That won't be the case when the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit.

I live in CA and there has been a coverage in the media, I saw quite a few clips from Price Charles' visit.

Their visit may create hysteria in the young teenage girls in LA, but are people going to come out and see these two on mass? What do the LA members think?

I would like to know the answer to Zonks question, why are they going?

Perhaps they chose L.A. because of the Beckhams? Whatever the case, my friends in that area are already dreading the horrible traffic jams this will create! It's hard to believe this will be the Duchess's first trip to the States, I thought she had been to NYC before.

They're coming to my city! Finally.
I wonder what they'll be be visiting.

Lumutqueen said:
Their visit may create hysteria in the young teenage girls in LA, but are people going to come out and see these two on mass? What do the LA members think?

I would like to know the answer to Zonks question, why are they going?

I would like to know that too.

No people in LA aren't going to come out and see them...it would probably be the tourists who will make a big deal of it. As far as the city goes, most of them could care less about Will and Kate coming to town. People in LA are used to seeing celebs all over the place. So there won't be a mass hysteria...and if there is it'll be because of tourists.

OMG. I mean no offense to Californians which is a perfectly beautiful state, but there in lines my point: Out of all the places in that awesome state, why L.A. first? Sure that's once town that can use a bit of class and lessons in how to act demurely and what not, but couldn't they save that for like Armageddon or something? LOL.

Why not Napa Valley or San Francisco where they have that nice art district? You know a place where culture doesn't mean wearing your Uggs with baby doll dresses? Just saying. Sorry. Just got into an altercation a few days ago with a family member from LA and I swear her brain has turned into vapid mush. She left the east coast perfectly able-bodied and intelligent. Three years and a few months later the only thing she could talk about was her non-existent waistline and how Fred Segal's, "should totally reconsider Lindsay Lohan's legging line" which is "fabulous" by the way.

Meanwhile, as someone posted the Beckhams, as posh as they are also a bit rough around Tynesdale edges, do live there so maybe they will visit with them and even stay at their home do you think?

Last edited:
OMG. I mean no offense to Californians which is a perfectly beautiful state, but there in lines my point: Out of all the places in that awesome state, why L.A. first? Sure that's once town that can use a bit of class and lessons in how to act demurely and what not, but couldn't they save that for like Armageddon or something? LOL.

Why not Napa Valley or San Francisco where they have that nice art district? You know a place where culture doesn't mean wearing your Uggs with baby doll dresses? Just saying. Sorry. Just got into an altercation a few days ago with a family member from LA and I swear her brain has turned into vapid mush. She left the east coast perfectly able-bodied and intelligent. Three years and a few months later the only thing she could talk about was her non-existent waistline and how Fred Segal's, "should totally reconsider Lindsay Lohan's legging line" which is "fabulous" by the way.

Meanwhile, as someone posted the Beckhams, as posh as they are also a bit rough around Tynesdale edges, do live there so maybe they will visit with them and even stay at their home do you think?

Frankly, I agree. No offense to the LA folks (I have a few friends there), but really they could have picked better places to visit, especially for Catherine's first visit to USA (honestly--she has never been here before??). SF would be better place, and how about Northwest? Portland might be real nice, as it's a laid-back city (I think they call themselves a city that is really town or something like that).

Frankly, I agree. No offense to the LA folks (I have a few friends there), but really they could have picked better places to visit, especially for Catherine's first visit to USA (honestly--she has never been here before??). SF would be better place, and how about Northwest? Portland might be real nice, as it's a laid-back city (I think they call themselves a city that is really town or something like that).
I am originally from the SF Bay Area and will always sing the praises of my city, but they're not coming here as tourists, they are coming in an official captivity right after their tour of Canada. I think a lot of it has to do with logistics. They needed to go to a major (i.e. big) city who can accommodate an official visit during those specific dates, which means it would probably have to be on the West Coast (which is probably why NYC and DC were not considered). Los Angeles is the second largest city in the US and probably had the most resources to prepare for the fanfare of the couple's first state tour.
I love SF and Napa, but I think given his most recent speech at Georgetown, it would have more meaning for Prince Charles to visit the birthplace of organic, local and sustainable farming/eating movement in the US. Although William hasn't clearly defined his causes, he did work a lot with the poor and homeless and maybe LA, being such a big metropolis, would be a great place to highlight those issues (imagine Prince Charles in LA "admiring" the modern architecture. And he and Catherine both spent gap years in Chile, so a big Hispanic population lets them show off their Spanish? ;)

Last edited:
I don't understand why they're going to L.A. either. To meet Hollywood royalty?

I live in NYC and would love to see them here. And it makes more sense for W&K to come to NYC because we're accustomed to seeing royalty here. Plus, diplomatically, it makes sense because of the U.N., the international feel here, and so on.

I guess I'll have to keep waiting.

I am originally from the SF Bay Area and will always sing the praises of my city, but they're not coming here as tourists, they are coming in an official captivity right after their tour of Canada. I think a lot of it has to do with logistics. They needed to go to a major (i.e. big) city who can accommodate an official visit during those specific dates, which means it would probably have to be on the West Coast (which is probably why NYC and DC were not considered). Los Angeles is the second largest city in the US and probably had the most resources to prepare for the fanfare of the couple's first state tour.
I love SF and Napa, but I think given his most recent speech at Georgetown, it would have more meaning for Prince Charles to visit the birthplace of organic, local and sustainable farming/eating movement in the US. Although William hasn't clearly defined his causes, he did work a lot with the poor and homeless and maybe LA, being such a big metropolis, would be a great place to highlight those issues (imagine Prince Charles in LA "admiring" the modern architecture. And he and Catherine both spent gap years in Chile, so a big Hispanic population lets them show off their Spanish? ;)

I am originally from the Bay Area as well, and culturally speaking it has a lot more to offer.

Since this is an official trip, what could Los Angeles possibly offer in that respect? I have never heard of Royalty doing any official visits to Los Angeles in the past. I can certainly see DC and NY since those are the hub of most international interests. But Los Angeles? :ermm:

This thread will be reopened as we get closer to the visit.

Hopefully by that time, an agenda will be released by Clarence House.

From the Clarence House Twitter:

8th July: Arriving in Los Angeles, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit an event supporting UK Trade Investment.

8th July: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will then attend a reception at the Consul-General’s Residence in LA.

9th July: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend a charity polo match at Santa Barbara Polo Club.

9th July: The Duke will play, and The Duchess will attend the event and hand over the prize to the winning team.

9th July: The Duke and Duchess will attend a BAFTA event. The Duke is President and will make a speech.

10th July: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit Inner City Arts, which provides visual arts and performances to inner city children.

10th July: The Duke and Duchess will attend ‘Service Nation: Mission Serve’ supporting the reintegration of servicemen and women.

Upcoming visit to Los Angeles

10th July: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit Inner City Arts, which provides visual arts and performances to inner city children.

Shoot, I knew the whole, "they're going to skid row for some kids/art thing" was familiar. As soon as I saw Inner City Arts this morning as the Cambridges confirmed visit on July 10th, it occurred to me that one of my previous bosses was on the Board of Inner City Arts. Heck, now he's the chairman.

I'm debating whether or not to contact him to get me in. :bang: Perhaps it's better to hang with the regular folk outside. :whistling:

Last edited:
I'm debating whether or not to contact him to get me in. :bang: Perhaps it's better to hang with the regular folk outside. :whistling:
Oh DO it! Whenever else will you get a chance to meet living history?? Then tell us EVERYTHING! :D

Shoot, I knew the whole, "they're going to skid row for some kids/art thing" was familiar. As soon as I saw Inner City Arts this morning as the Cambridges confirmed visit on July 10th, it occurred to me that one of my previous bosses was on the Board of Inner City Arts. Heck, now he's the chairman.

Ask! You never know unless you ask. That's my philosophy.

Definitely ask, or at least go and hang outside. This is a chance of a lifetime.

William and Kate's California itinerary revealed
Article

Prince William, Kate Middleton to Visit Santa Barbara in July
Article

Prince William, Kate to combine glamour, charity in LA
Article

Last edited:
For me the trip is getting too long and is being dragged on by silly events / holiday activities such as public cooking and boat racing.

I fear the worst when they go to California to rub shoulders with so called celebrities, turning into the Disney couple of royalty.

I like this couple but I really, really, wish they were not coming here to Los Angeles for the very reason you stated in your last sentence.

Hollywood has the most shallow and pretentious people imaginable. Prince William was barely on anyone's register before he and his wife became global superstars simply by having a beautiful wedding...now every two bit starlet and producer and socialite will be cloying to host them and have their photo taken with them...the fawning and gushing will be over the top
because they are the "It" couple right now. :bang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom