Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to Los Angeles, California - July 8-10, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How disappointing. By the way NOBODY overshadows the Queen.

I don't understand how she doesn't already understand William's charities by now. She already should have some information about Tusk Trust as she did some stuff with it in L.A. What about the Foundation of William and Harry or the VanStraubenzee charities? She has done events for them as well.

I get that she needs to sort out her own charities but I do not think that will take too much time as she has a team to help her out with these things. As for William, he has obligations to the military but Kate is a different story. Hope they change their mind about this.

This might explain things a little bit better Prince William and Kate Middleton to adopt a low profile on UK return after successful debut royal tour - mirror.co.uk

according to that article the Queen and and Prince Charles support Catherine and William's decision to have a "low profile."

I think having a low profile is exactly what they need at the moment. We have to remember that they're a newly married couple, and are still adjusting to married life. I think if they were given a full schedule of events right away, they would have no time to work on their marriage. They have their priorities straight, and because of that, will (hopefully) enjoy a long and happy life together. To me, that's a little more important than a full calendar of events right away.

When it comes to choosing different charities (and learning about her husband's), Catherine is telling us that she's serious about her role. I would be disappointed if she took on a cause just because it was required for her to be a patron of something. This tour showed that this couple is about hands on involvement, and if one wants to be heavily involved, one needs to learn about the cause, the organization, the people who benefit and what needs to be done. She's right on schedule in my eyes (and I can tell you, if I were in her position, I would be doing the exact same thing).

I hope that these two have a restful break. They have earned it.

Anyone else notice William used both hands when painting? He started with his right but switched to his left- I found that kind of cool. I can only paint with my right hand (albeit poorly).....William is left handed yes? And Catherine right?

I think having a low profile is exactly what they need at the moment. We have to remember that they're a newly married couple, and are still adjusting to married life. I think if they were given a full schedule of events right away, they would have no time to work on their marriage. They have their priorities straight, and because of that, will (hopefully) enjoy a long and happy life together. To me, that's a little more important than a full calendar of events right away.

When it comes to choosing different charities (and learning about her husband's), Catherine is telling us that she's serious about her role. I would be disappointed if she took on a cause just because it was required for her to be a patron of something. This tour showed that this couple is about hands on involvement, and if one wants to be heavily involved, one needs to learn about the cause, the organization, the people who benefit and what needs to be done. She's right on schedule in my eyes (and I can tell you, if I were in her position, I would be doing the exact same thing).

I hope that these two have a restful break. They have earned it.

Yes I agree...

No offense, but they've been living together for years now, playing house. Their relationship is solid and I could understand wishing to keep a low profile to help Catherine sort out charities and what not. Keeping a low profile to allow William a chance to give his military career his full attention once again, is even understandable. But to say they need to work on their marriage and adjust to married life, to me, seems like a weak excuse. Maybe if they hadn't lived together before. Personally I lived with my (now) husband for two years before we were married, and it was the best decision I ever made. The transition from dating/engaged to married wasn't much of a transition at all. The only thing that really changed was my name and we suddenly shared a bank account.

I'm not saying I don't think they deserve some quiet time. After all they have years of nonstop service to look forward to, I'm just in disagreement with people using their marriage as an excuse for that downtime.

I was hoping that they would go home.

Absence brings mystery.

They did such a superb job, really surprising. William has good
public speaking abilities and Catherine is so cool and confidant.
They work together so great.

We are very lucky indeed.

Last edited:
Fantastic post Daria. :flowers:

I think some people are so eager to see Kate work that they forget she and William are newlyweds who got married in front of 2 billion people. Their marriage is under immense scrutiny. They try their best to protect their relationship by limiting PDAs and not doing interviews. But let's face it, they're huge right now. Yes, HM is HM. She can not be overshadowed but you can bet your bottom dollar, these two can come close. The interest in them is world wide not just in the UK. Media is hungry for any news/tidbit about them.

Since they got married, the pressure is on them to produce an heir. First year of marriage is the best but also, the most difficult IMO. You're basically trying to get used to living with each other 24/7 and its even harder when you have people analyzing your every smile, look and expression. I know they were living together but this is different. They're in their honeymoon period right now and I am sure are affectionate with each other a lot. But every time they step out in public they have to make a conscious effort to not touch each other, hold hands etc. Plus, William will be posted at Falklands next year for 2 months. They'll be apart during that time. Spending first two yrs in Angelsey away from the media pressures will solidify their marriage. I always got the feeling from that they have their priorities straight. They'll do their duty but not at the cost of their marriage/family. We can not compare their relationship to regular people. The amount of pressures on them are ridiculous.

Kate is new to all this. Yes, she used to attend some events with William but they were dating at that time. I don't think RF would have given her any information about the charities William supported before engagement. Because she seemed so confident on this tour, people are eager for her to take on her own charity engagements. But Arthur Edwards was on one of the shows here and he mentioned that she looks confident but she is really nervous on the inside. She's just good at covering it up. Kate also told a reporter in Canada that the tour is overwhelming her. There is no question she was outstanding but she needs to take a breather and sort out which causes she wants to support. She is on the right path. I think its good that William is making sure she doesn't feel pressured. I like that he's giving her time to learn and figure out what causes she wants to back. She will take on her own engagements once she/William feels ready. They will have to do charity work rest of their lives and live their life in the public eye. I don't see anything wrong with them wanting some quality time together.

Last edited:
if more people took time off to just be a married couple in the BRF, maybe not so many would be(been) divorced. i am happy they are taking time to themselves; even though i will greatly miss seeing pictures of them together.

I think some people are so eager to see Kate work that they forget she and William are newlyweds who got married in front of 2 billion people. Their marriage is under immense scrutiny. They try their best to protect their relationship by limiting PDAs and not doing interviews. But let's face it, they're huge right now. Yes, HM is HM. She can not be overshadowed but you can bet your bottom dollar, these two can come close. The interest in them is world wide not just in the UK. Media is hungry for any news/tidbit about them.

Since they got married, the pressure is on them to produce an heir. First year of marriage is the best but also, the most difficult IMO. You're basically trying to get used to living with each other 24/7 and its even harder when you have people analyzing your every smile, look and expression. I know they were living together but this is different. They're in their honeymoon period right now and I am sure are affectionate with each other a lot. But every time they step out in public they have to make a conscious effort to not touch each other, hold hands etc. Plus, William will be posted at Falklands next year for 2 months. They'll be apart during that time. Spending first two yrs in Angelsey away from the media pressures will solidify their marriage. I always got the feeling from that they have their priorities straight. They'll do their duty but not at the cost of their marriage/family. We can not compare their relationship to regular people. The amount of pressures on them are ridiculous.

Kate is new to all this. Yes, she used to attend some events with William but they were dating at that time. I don't think RF would have given her any information about the charities William supported before engagement. Because she seemed so confident on this tour, people are eager for her to take on her own charity engagements. But Arthur Edwards was on one of the shows here and he mentioned that she looks confident but she is really nervous on the inside. She's just good at covering it up. Kate also told a reporter in Canada that the tour is overwhelming her. There is no question she was outstanding but she needs to take a breather and sort out which causes she wants to support. She is on the right path. I think its good that William is making sure she doesn't feel pressured. I like that he's giving her time to learn and figure out what causes she wants to back. She will take on her own engagements once she/William feels ready. They will have to do charity work rest of their lives and live their life in the public eye. I don't see anything wrong with them wanting some quality time together.

Why, thank you! :flowers:

You bring up so many good points. There's a difference between living together and getting married, and doing the two under the watchful eyes of the entire world. Catherine has done great so far, and I give a great deal of credit to her and her husband (they operate as a team, supporting the other). Heaven knows they need time right now to just 'be', without the entire planet breathing down their necks. While most newly wedded couples are left to themselves after the whole wedding craze, these two are basically forced to invite the world into their lives. I know, I know, it comes with being a royal, but for heaven's sake, let's just give them a break. Charities and duties can always be taken up, but a marriage that is broken, cannot always be fixed.

Bethaliz6894, you make good observations as well. Sometimes it's just better to be criticized for being 'lazy' and living under the radar, than for going through a divorce and being an 'embarrassment' to the establishment. William and Catherine are choosing the lesser of the two evils.

if more people took time off to just be a married couple in the BRF, maybe not so many would be(been) divorced. i am happy they are taking time to themselves; even though i will greatly miss seeing pictures of them together.
I agree. I am thrilled to see that they're putting their marriage first. Good for them!

Correct...:)

Why, thank you! :flowers:

You bring up so many good points. There's a difference between living together and getting married, and doing the two under the watchful eyes of the entire world. Catherine has done great so far, and I give a great deal of credit to her and her husband (they operate as a team, supporting the other). Heaven knows they need time right now to just 'be', without the entire planet breathing down their necks. While most newly wedded couples are left to themselves after the whole wedding craze, these two are basically forced to invite the world into their lives. I know, I know, it comes with being a royal, but for heaven's sake, let's just give them a break. Charities and duties can always be taken up, but a marriage that is broken, cannot always be fixed.

Bethaliz6894, you make good observations as well. Sometimes it's just better to be criticized for being 'lazy' and living under the radar, than for going through a divorce and being an 'embarrassment' to the establishment. William and Catherine are choosing the lesser of the two evils.
:clap:

Like I said, these two are not willing to compromise their happiness which makes me love them even more! :)

:clap:

Like I said, these two are not willing to compromise their happiness which makes me love them even more! :)

I'm with you. In the day and age where relationships and love are cheapened, it's nice to see a couple that puts their family life first. I just hope others in our society will take a leaf out of their book.

Good work again, Will and Kate!

I really want to see a clip of them making their imprints. Apparently, they had a playful banter going on. I can't believe I missed it. :sad:

I am amazed that there are no pics of them arriving at Heathrow. Boy, these two can really disappear! :lol: Anyway, I guess we'll see them again at Zara's wedding. :)

At one meeting, Kate listened to a fellow service wife, Kathy Roth-Douquet, 47, describing having to cope with her husband Greg Douquet, 49, a Marine Corps helicopter pilot, being away sometimes for six months at a time.

‘I don't know how you manage,’ Kate said, blushing slightly. ‘I miss William so much when he goes away. He went once for four weeks and I missed him so much.’ :wub:

Last edited:
I really want to see a clip of them making their imprints. Apparently, they had a playful banter going on. I can't believe I missed it. :sad:

I am amazed that there are no pics of them arriving at Heathrow. Boy, these two can really disappear! :lol: Anyway, I guess we'll see them again at Zara's wedding. :)

I remember reading about the banter during hand printing. They're not afraid to be themselves, and I think that's one of the parts of their charm. It puts people at ease.

Now, for the cheesy part of the post. I'm a huge fan of the musical 'Wicked', and when I read about the hand prints, the lyrics from one of the songs came to mind.

'You'll be with me,
Like a hand print on my heart'.

I think it fits the whole tour. They've left such a great impression on so many people, and captured a great deal of hearts not just in North America, but I'm betting all over the world as well.

Ok, everyone, time for your FAVORITE MOMENTS and why

FAVORITE....

TOUCHING MOMENT: Kate with 6-year-old Diamond Marshall

WILLIAM LOOK: Howdy, cowboy! Enough said.
Need I say more?;):lol:
On a serious note, while those are my two highlights, I liked the overall " feel" and style of the tour!
And to see special needs children greeting them it seemed at every airport they came to in Canada was very touching.

I think William & Kate's decision to lay low after this is the best decision they've made so far. Remember that on top of being newlyweds, they are very private individuals. They were compelled to do a very public wedding (I'm sure they'd preferred a much smaller/quieter one if not for William's position) and they've done a tremendous job for their first overseas tour. And to do it so soon after their wedding is frankly unprecedented. Kudos to Kate for that. No other new recruit has done it before. The royal wedding and Canada/California tour should give royal-watchers enough satisfaction till 2012. They've done Britain proud and they deserve some rest and enjoyment. As for adjusting to married life and learning about William's charities... remember that Kate isn't just getting into any marriage. She's married into an institution with much, much more to learn than any ordinary couple. Even if she's been with William for 8 years, she'll need the time and the counsel to adjust properly. And frankly, I'm very happy to see that she's getting it.

We will miss them for sure. After the hurricane that was Canada/California, it's hard not to feel some kind of Will & Kate withdrawal. But it's comforting to know that they're back to doing what's best for them. Perhaps "lying in a dark room" back home in Anglesey as William said he was looking forward to. Again, as their wedding prayer said: "keep our eyes fixed on what's real and important in life." They're doing just that. Bless them!

BTW, I missed the hand slapping bit, too. Didn't see that the first time. Thanks for pointing it out. Cute!

Despite the huge success of the N. American tour the fact remains that William is only second in line to the throne and is at this point in time first and foremost a rescue pilot. The British royal family is in kind of a unique position in that its by far and away most high profile members are also relatively junior in the family hierarchy. If William were the Queen's son instead of her grandson then I think taking some time away from regular royal duties to focus on his job and his marriage wouldn't be a viable option. He and Kate are, IMO, lucky to have this time in which they can be relatively low key. With the queen and D of E still going strong and all four of the queen's children plus Sophie and Camilla playing active roles in the family, (to varying degrees), there's no pressing need for the Cambridges to step up at this point in time.

I guess the next time we'll see William and Catherine will be at Zara's wedding?

Lovely article about William and Kate.....They've that rare connection which is very evident when they look at each other. Their smiles and glances show their love for each other. They don't need to be all over each other like others. It is a treat to watch them together.

William & Kate: Julie Chen's Observations : People.com

There are royals that are all over each other?? Who?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom