Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to Los Angeles, California - July 8-10, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
News, paparazzi helicopters circling overhead. Welcome to LA!

Oh dear Lord, the commentator just referred to her as Princess Catherine...honestly, how hard is it to figure the titles out? It's been reported on enough.
Well, William's spokesman said, he/they wouldn't mind people calling her Princess Catherine. ;)

I think its easier to say Princess Catherine than Duchess of Cambridge. :lol:

They're headed to the Beverly Hilton, seeing mostly malls and Century Century, rather than Rodeo Drive.

The impact on traffic seems minimal, LAPD is clearing sections as needed. They're on Little Santa Monica, almost to their destination.

The reporters on the ABC live feed are enough to drive me nuts. I should have known they would...they drove me nuts at the wedding too!

They got out in front of the hotel. They both looked fabulous. Very nice shot of them up close.

Small crowd gathered outside the Beverly Hilton. They are not interacting with the crowd.

Inside the Hilton, they are attending a panel discussion regarding venture capital, independent movies, British films, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently that's a lavender Peridot dress by Roksanda Ilincic, that Kate is wearing.

Small crowd gathered outside the Beverly Hilton. They are not interacting with the crowd.

Inside the Hilton, they are attending a panel discussion regarding venture capital, independent movies, British films, etc.

I just think it's strange the camera is pointed at the side door. Do they expect the couple to walk in the room?

Oh, OK here they come. Wow, this is weird. They are on the stage, a part of the panel but not talking??

Last edited:
Wow everyone has now stopped listening to these men speak and are taking pictures of William and Kate....sounds very boring anyhow!!!!
God Help them, how awful, to have to sit there ....and look like they care what is being said, I would have hoped they would try to keep them awake, they just had a long flight........

Last edited:
The people on BBC are just baffled by this. They said they wish they could read William and Kate's mind.

What a contrast. Adoring Canada in the morning, indifferent LA in the afternoon. I find this whole panel very odd. Why do they have to sit on the stage just to listen to entertainment industry drivel? :bang:

It is boring, but it is not entertainment industry drivel but talk about british and american coordination in industry. But yes, poor William especially looks like he is going to slump over into a deep sleep ...... :ROFLMAO:

It's bad enough if one is actually in the industry let alone for someone who is not in the industry and has to sit and listen to it in plain view of everyone. I hope they had a good night's sleep.

It's cool to see all the enthusiastic people standing outside with their Duke and Duchess T shirts, flags, homemade posters, etc., etc. People who saw them are all twitterpated.

And in Hancock Park, most of the neighbors are flying the British flag.

As to the content of the conference - the ostensible reason for the Royal couple to be in L.A. is to support British/Commonwealth filmmaking, and raising capital for such ventures is a serious topic.

It isn't all fun and games, being royal. At least the topic is one that William has said is of great interest to him. To me, it would beat going to hospitals or Skid Row, but that's just me.

Those of us who read Variety find the Industry interesting enough, perhaps William will take something away from the meeting about how films actually end up getting made, promoted and finally seen in various venues.

British filmmakers seem far off to Hollywood types, I think, and Variety is trying to close the gap by sponsoring this.

Is there still a live feed going? Can someone post a link if so?

Think about how much more attention these companies are getting today just by having Will and Kate sit there for 15 minutes. They did their part. When the host asked if anyone else had anything they were dying to say before they ended, Kate nudged William jokingly, pretty funny.

As to the content of the conference - the ostensible reason for the Royal couple to be in L.A. is to support British/Commonwealth filmmaking, and raising capital for such ventures is a serious topic.

It isn't all fun and games, being royal. At least the topic is one that William has said is of great interest to him. To me, it would beat going to hospitals or Skid Row, but that's just me.

Those of us who read Variety find the Industry interesting enough, perhaps William will take something away from the meeting about how films actually end up getting made, promoted and finally seen in various venues.

British filmmakers seem far off to Hollywood types, I think, and Variety is trying to close the gap by sponsoring this.

Serious topic for movie making but not serious for most of the public.

While I appreciate your honesty...I would rather see them doing things that affect the "little guy" rather than hobnobbing with celebrities. You are right that at least he is doing something that he is interested in.

I don't see any celebrities at this conference (the Duke and Duchess will be hobnobbing with them tomorrow night - I think it's unavoidable, given their status; they can't very well go walk up and down Hollywood Blvd). I see hardworking behind the scenes types. And the reason, according to Clarence House is to support "UK Trade and Investment." This particular meeting is trying strategize to get people with money to invest in UK films. This does help the "little people" who are trying to work in film in the UK. That's how the average person in films gets work - from the investment of people in the making of the film. Most people who work in films do not make a lot of money.

This is a working visit, yes? I do not expect Los Angelenos to turn out in crowds to a route that was barely revealed to them in the past few hours.

The Royal couple's itinerary in SoCal is very limited; most of us won't be able to show our enthusiasm (they're 1.5 hours from where I sit right now, but tomorrow they'll be closer).

..And they sure didn't spend much time there - they're getting ready to roll again. Now they get to drive down Wilshire, which should be fun - and off to Hancock Park.

Pink's Hot Dogs has come up with a special Royal Hotdog (two hotdogs in one bun with mustard, lettuce and cheese, I believe the announcer said).

Stream is back up on ABC

ugh I hate having to follow the tour like this oh well better then nothing. I'm assuming then we'll find links for tomorrow's Bafta event as well?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom