Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to Los Angeles, California - July 8-10, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Priceless! :ROFLMAO:

Just to confirm, the police cars traveling the neighborhoods around the Sony Studios in Culver City are significant. (My tax dollars, I might add). Yesterday, out and about on my errands, I found myself in a chain of 5 police cars on Culver Blvd. :p Needless to say I will avoid the Sony Gates like the plague over the weekend - no Venice Beach for me! ;) These things are soooo annoying!

Last edited:
Exactly. Good thing you read it here!

Much better to avoid things you don't like ;)

Priceless! :ROFLMAO:

Just to confirm, the police cars traveling the neighborhoods around the Sony Studios in Culver City are significant. (My tax dollars, I might add). Yesterday, out and about on my errands, I found myself in a chain of 5 police cars on Culver Blvd. :p Needless to say I will avoid the Sony Gates like the plague over the weekend - no Venice Beach for me! ;) These things are soooo annoying!

This is so true. I remember when Obama came to Westwood for a fundraiser. Unbelievable traffic. Lots of people were angry, including me! For Angelenos, dignitaries are not usually exciting. They are a traffic nightmare. Not to mention the waste of police time.

I remember when Obama came to Westwood for a fundraiser. Unbelievable traffic. Lots of people were angry, including me! For Angelenos, dignitaries are not usually exciting. They are a traffic nightmare. Not to mention the waste of police time.

At least it was the US President - we sort of expect it.

I'm watching local SoCal news right now, and they're really gearing up for tomorrow. It seems to have only started today though. They're encouraging people to go "catch a glimpse" of the royal couple.

Also, some travel company is raffling off its own Royal Tour of California, spinning the point that "three days is not enough!"

"Hollywood Royalty" /= "Real Hollywood Royalty." It is always du jour in Hollywood - there is never and cannot really be "Hollywood Royalty." In Hollywood, phrases like 5-year A-list or on and off again 2 year A-lister/part time B-lister are thrown around as sub-categories of that term. It's just like real royalty in one way though: not everyone has the same rank or precendence; there are major and minor royals.

It strikes me that William, by agreeing to this California segment - which is oh, so brief - is very much aware of his public presence and the PR opportunities his new bridge gives him. Whether or not they invite British actors to any event, they are calling attention to Britain - my daughter's crowd is all a-twitter about making a reciprocal trip to London because, as everyone knows, where Royals live there be castles and drawbridges and jewels and what-not.

Just watched an interview with a young woman who met the Royal Couple in Canada - a very brief, chance encounter. She was thrilled. But here in SoCal, they are giving out the exact address of the Consul's house (odd, even by SoCal standards where star addresses are usually retroactive), encouraging a crowd to form. Young L.A. will be delighted to have a Royal Event to go to.

Some of this is due to geographical proximity, as the places they are visiting (including Montecito/Santa Barbara) all have local populations that turn out for a movie filming or any group activity that's parade-like or media-savvy. It's fun at this time of year, it's warm in the evenings, the beach is always close by, young people like grouping together and partying a little, in a mannerly way, of course.

Tomorrow I am leaving to go to LA, and I am very excited. I don’t think I will see the couple, but I will try! Yet all this media hype is so off-putting. It seems like in this modern age, every single event in the world -celebrity dramas, political scandals, natural disasters, murder trials, a YouTube sensation -gets built up to the point where the normal person just can’t stand it anymore! If I didn’t already like the Royal Couple, I think I would probably hate them just due to the suffocating coverage they receive.

In my opinion, a large part of why they are coming to California is for BAFTA. They probably won’t come to North America again for years, and William’s the president now, so that’s that. Besides that though, everything else is quite obviously filler. The trade event, polo match, Inner City Arts thing, and servicemen meeting will all no doubt be beneficial, yet I think they were organized just to pad the BAFTA event. I’m okay with that because I see it as helping young British talent, although I know that hits a nerve with some people. But that opinion obviously doesn’t concern me, because if I saw the Cambridges as self-absorbed, pleasure-seeking, monarchy-destroying, lazy celebrity wannabes, I would simply not be taking the time to go see them.

Tomorrow I am leaving to go to LA, and I am very excited. I don’t think I will see the couple, but I will try! Yet all this media hype is so off-putting. It seems like in this modern age, every single event in the world -celebrity dramas, political scandals, natural disasters, murder trials, a YouTube sensation -gets built up to the point where the normal person just can’t stand it anymore! If I didn’t already like the Royal Couple, I think I would probably hate them just due to the suffocating coverage they receive.

In my opinion, a large part of why they are coming to California is for BAFTA. They probably won’t come to North America again for years, and William’s the president now, so that’s that. Besides that though, everything else is quite obviously filler. The trade event, polo match, Inner City Arts thing, and servicemen meeting will all no doubt be beneficial, yet I think they were organized just to pad the BAFTA event. I’m okay with that because I see it as helping young British talent, although I know that hits a nerve with some people. But that opinion obviously doesn’t concern me, because if I saw the Cambridges as self-absorbed, pleasure-seeking, monarchy-destroying, lazy celebrity wannabes, I would simply not be taking the time to go see them.

I hope it works out for you. To which event are you heading? Be forewarned, my feeling is that because this is LA and we are not a Commonwealth country, Wills and Kate will not make mixing with the locals a priority. And the LAPD can be very mean about shutting down several square blocks around an event.

I have a Dodger game Sunday afternoon and have thought about trying to hit the Inner City Arts event that morning, but hanging out in Skid Row if the police will even let me is making me change my mind. It was probably best to see them in Britain. LA officials wouldn't be smart enough to hand out wristbands like the Canadians have done. :sad:

I hope it works out for you. To which event are you heading? Be forewarned, my feeling is that because this is LA and we are not a Commonwealth country, Wills and Kate will not make mixing with the locals a priority. And the LAPD can be very mean about shutting down several square blocks around an event.

I have a Dodger game Sunday afternoon and have thought about trying to hit the Inner City Arts event that morning, but hanging out in Skid Row if the police will even let me is making me change my mind. It was probably best to see them in Britain. LA officials wouldn't be smart enough to hand out wristbands like the Canadians have done. :sad:

That is sad, because there are a good number of people who would love to see them (me being one of those people). Hopefully those of you who are going to attempt to catch a glimpse are successful.

May I ask, will there be somewhere to watch the Bafta's online? I'm so used to seeing everything from the Canada tour that it'll be weird not to see every little moment of the LA tour.

That is sad, because there are a good number of people who would love to see them (me being one of those people). Hopefully those of you who are going to attempt to catch a glimpse are successful.

My understanding is there will be no public access to any of the venues. Unless they alter this ad hoc but its unlikely - security would have to be amped up considerably to have that kind of access. Its not worth the risks i would think, but who knows, maybe they have contingency plans.

Remember, its Los Angeles that is paying for the added security as it is - but wait, is it? It raises the question - will William and Kate - or Charles - or the Queen - or the British government - be paying for all the arrangements? Who pays for all this? In Commonwealth countries I assume it is the host country, but in this case its not a country but a city that is setting up the venues and entailing the police force - who pays? Maybe the venues are being privately arranged as I think about it - but there is still the police and airport security and all that. 'Tis all a puzzle.

But here in SoCal, they are giving out the exact address of the Consul's house (odd, even by SoCal standards where star addresses are usually retroactive), encouraging a crowd to form. Young L.A. will be delighted to have a Royal Event to go to.

I've been wondering about that - whether people would be showing up. How embarrassing if they don't, eh? So we are being 'encouraged' to show up? Hmmm....that exact address is odd....but I'm not going.....I'll be in Pacific Palisades......:flowers: I do hope she wears something spiffy - really looking forward to see what she pulls out of the closet for her California stretch. :cool:

I was down on West Sunset today and the Cat 'n Fiddle Pub and Restaurant had their British flag out and signs welcoming 'William and Kate'.

Last edited:
What is the hourly visit to Duke and Duchess of Cambridge schedule in Los Angeles?

It will certainly be possible to see them pass by and to wave to them, if one looks closely at their itinerary - they'll be on the freeway from Hancock Park to SB tomorrow morning.

It will certainly be possible to see them pass by and to wave to them, if one looks closely at their itinerary - they'll be on the freeway from Hancock Park to SB tomorrow morning.

My bet is that they'll take a helicopter. :p

So do we know what time they will be arriving?

My bet is that they'll take a helicopter. :p

I really don't think they'll break the rules for airspace use in Hancock park - they could, however, drive to Burbank or Van Nuys - or to a helipad in downtown L.A.

They similarly will have to find a legal place to land near the polo fields.

It's possible they'll helicopter it - but even then, one would be able to see them travel to the copter and, of course, it would be exciting to watch them land in Montecito (as I type I'm 25 minutes from the polo field, but tomorrow I'll be at my dad's house, an hour away from them).

Still debating whether to go catch the vibe.

Well they just departed from Canada so not long now before they arrive in LA. I have some errands to do so hopefully I'll be back to catch the arrival.

Time to tune into E! It's really very exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom