Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to Los Angeles, California - July 8-10, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moonmaiden23 said:
I like this couple but I really, really, wish they were not coming here to Los Angeles for the very reason you stated in your last sentence.

Hollywood has the most shallow and pretentious people imaginable. Prince William was barely on anyone's register before he and his wife became global superstars simply by having a beautiful wedding...now every two bit starlet and producer and socialite will be cloying to host them and have their photo taken with them...the fawning and gushing will be over the top
because they are the "It" couple right now. :bang:

I just wish they kept it in the commonwealth for this visit. There will be plenty of time and opportunity to visit outside the realm over the months and years to come. Sorry if this comes off as rude, but that leg of the trip does kinda seem like an afterthought. The addition of the trip to Cali was announced well after the announcement of this tour. I truly hope they enjoy themselves in Cali, but it seems odd to go there on this trip. This was a trip to a country where they will one day be King and Queen of, so from that perspective, yeah, I wish it was just kept to Canada for this trip, as was originally announced. Again, sorry if this came off as rude, no offence intended. Belated Happy 4th to our American friends! Belated Happy Canada Day Canada!! :)

I like this couple but I really, really, wish they were not coming here to Los Angeles for the very reason you stated in your last sentence.

Hollywood has the most shallow and pretentious people imaginable. Prince William was barely on anyone's register before he and his wife became global superstars simply by having a beautiful wedding...now every two bit starlet and producer and socialite will be cloying to host them and have their photo taken with them...the fawning and gushing will be over the top

I'm very surprised by the reaction to the Los Angeles visit by some of the members here. To say you're way over generalizing the qualities of an entire city is an understatement. The southern California itinerary includes Santa Barbara which is nowhere near LA (it's even in another County :ohmy:). They're going to a BAFTA awards show, OK but they are also heading to one of the poorest parts of downtown and assembling care packages for soldiers in Culver City.

Los Angeles is a one of the most diverse cities in the world. Will and Kate should sure as heck visit here. We're not Hollywood and for Los Angeles-based members promoting it as such betrays a great opportunity to show what we're all about.

Moonmaiden23 said:

Not everyone cares though. Not every famous person is clawing to see them. There are quite a few celebs who could care less about them coming. It's the people who like to be seen and heard..ahem I won't say any names... thats trying to get a pic with them. I'm glad they're coming to LA. I've always wanted to meet Prince William. If they end up turning like a Hollywood couple then that's their problem. If that happens they obviously weren't strong to begin with.

lancchick said:
I'm very surprised by the reaction to the Los Angeles visit by some of the members here. To say you're way over generalizing the qualities of an entire city is an understatement. The southern California itinerary includes Santa Barbara which is nowhere near LA (it's even in another County :ohmy:). They're going to a BAFTA awards show, OK but they are also heading to one of the poorest parts of downtown and assembling care packages for soldiers in Culver City.

Los Angeles is a one of the most diverse cities in the world. Will and Kate should sure as heck visit here. We're not Hollywood and for Los Angeles-based members promoting it as such betrays a great opportunity to show what we're all about.

I'm very surprised myself.
There's so much to LA than Hollywood. This city has a lot to offer. Not everyone is shallow and self-obsessed! I guess people think Will and Kate will be dining with celebrities all day. I love the fact that they're going to see the good parts of the city and the bad. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Last edited:
but they are also heading to one of the poorest parts of downtown and assembling care packages for soldiers in Culver City.

Keep in mind that the care packages will be assembled at Sony Studios (I do believe) so really should not be said in the same breath with 'poorest parts of downtown' - but it was when I heard this latter bit a few weeks ago that it was that my opinion of 'Wills & Kate' plummeted. They pretty much revealed who they are and what they are about with this bit of grandstanding in a country that is not theirs. In this little bit William is showing what he is about - and I am not impressed. I will watch for the fashion - and the ever present hope that Kate will show some sense about her make-up :D - but I will not get 'taken in' by any of the 'caring' hype and PR in future, if I ever really believed it to begin with (which perhaps I haven't).

Not everyone is shallow and self-obsessed!

No. But perhaps certain people are who want very much to be seen as 'regular common folks'. Its gonna bite 'em in the tail! For some reason I keep thinking of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor - I'm not sure why.

Last edited:

Thank you for this comment. I've lived in LA my entire life and we are so much more than just Hollywood. If anything, the Duke and Duchess' visit will highlight that fact.

I'm enjoying following them on this tour. I like Kate's outfits, they are chic and demure for a person in her position. The only complaint I have is I wish she had more color in her wardrobe! It's all navy, cream, gray, etc, with the exception of the purple outfit at the concert. One thing I love about the Queen is all the pretty colors she wears, like the yellow at the wedding.

Well, well, well...A snarky nasty posting by a certain poster and that poster's gotten the reaction they were looking for. What a shocking surprise.

Guys, don't fall for it. This is *all* this particular poster does in the William and Kate threads. They should remember that oh so true saying of Thumper's from Bambi...

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

I'll never understand posters like that.

Okay then. Remember Everyone that the majority of events so far have been in the Eastern Time Zones and Yellowknife isn't. :eek:) It's just now getting to be mid morning up there and I think the events are all taking place in the afternoon, right?

One more thing...For those who have been using the CBC's Video Player to watch the coverage, right now and for the next couple of hours, the majority of attention of the media in Canada will be in Newmarket, just outside of Toronto, and covering the Police Funeral of York Region Constable Garrett Styles. He was killed in the line of duty last week when he stopped a group of teens who were out joy riding, he somehow got entangled in the van and was dragged, then the van rolled and when all was said and done, he was trapped underneath it. :eek:(

The driver was only 15 and is now not only now in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, but is now also facing a First Degree Murder charge.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know why there's no coverage of William and Kate's visit to Yellowknife for the next little while if you are using the CBC to follow along w/the Tour.

Well, well, well...A snarky nasty posting by a certain poster and that poster's gotten the reaction they were looking for. What a shocking surprise.

Guys, don't fall for it. This is *all* this particular poster does in the William and Kate threads.

Ok, I was suckered. But it was becoming a chorus of anti-LAdom. :cool:

I just wish they kept it in the commonwealth for this visit. There will be plenty of time and opportunity to visit outside the realm over the months and years to come. Sorry if this comes off as rude, but that leg of the trip does kinda seem like an afterthought. The addition of the trip to Cali was announced well after the announcement of this tour. I truly hope they enjoy themselves in Cali, but it seems odd to go there on this trip. This was a trip to a country where they will one day be King and Queen of, so from that perspective, yeah, I wish it was just kept to Canada for this trip, as was originally announced. Again, sorry if this came off as rude, no offence intended. Belated Happy 4th to our American friends! Belated Happy Canada Day Canada!! :)

This is a little excessive and a huge generalization of an entire state, and actually, an entire community. Also, to say no one knew William before the wedding is patently false,

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the care packages will be assembled at Sony Studios (I do believe) so really should not be said in the same breath with 'poorest parts of downtown' - but it was when I heard this latter bit a few weeks ago that it was that my opinion of 'Wills & Kate' plummeted. They pretty much revealed who they are and what they are about with this bit of grandstanding in a country that is not theirs. In this little bit William is showing what he is about - and I am not impressed. I will watch for the fashion - and the ever present hope that Kate will show some sense about her make-up :D - but I will not get 'taken in' by any of the 'caring' hype and PR in future, if I ever really believed it to begin with (which perhaps I haven't).
Yes, the event (which is called Hiring Our Heroes) is being held at Sony Studios, but the actual hosts are Service Nation: Mission Serve and the U.S. and Los Angeles Chambers of Commerce. It's a job fair for veterans - there will be 200 employers and around 1,500 veterans in attendance. There are going to be 100 of these fairs across the country. So this is not some celeb filled, useless event. Not only will William and Kate be putting together care packages, but they will also be meeting veterans and their spouses.

Last edited by a moderator:
BAFTA’s President, HRH The Duke of Cambridge, and HRH The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the event as part of their visit to California, helping highlight the incredible depth and range of great British talent currently emerging in film, television and video games.
source: BAFTA To Host Inaugural 'BAFTA Brits to Watch' in Los Angeles

Also, this is a Canadian Tour plus LA. The LA days were added later.

If Prince William didn't already have the connection with BAFTA, which is well over a year old, I would agree that a stopover in California is pure vanity. Given that the connection is there though, I'd imagine that BAFTA have been lobbying William pretty hard to try and get him to L.A where they regularly hold events promoting British artists. Equally, I'm sure William was keen to do so and given that the Canada trip was taking them to that side of the pond it makes sense.

At least the BAFTA event is for up and coming British talent, I didn't recognise any of the names on the list I saw and I would imagine this is deliberate on their part.

Los Angeles Visit

If Prince William didn't already have the connection with BAFTA, which is well over a year old, I would agree that a stopover in California is pure vanity.

Shoot, people. Did anybody look at the full LA itinerary?

Friday, July 8 - Arrive in LA, have dinner in Hancock Park (Mid-City)

Saturday, July 9 - Be transported 100 miles to Santa Barbara for William to play a charity polo match. Get back to LA for the BAFTA awards in downtown Los Angeles.

Sunday, July 10 - Meet disadvantaged kids in downtown LA and then attend and work an event for war veterans. Fly out of LAX that night.

Where's the vanity? Where's the glitz? Can we stop this banal bashing?

:flowers: (btw, As someone from a big city, the biggest one in Brazil, I feel your pain, And know LA is much more than 'Paris'. We get a lot of the rest of the country's negativity even if financially we support half of it :whistling:. Anyways totally off topic)

This has to be the best picture of the day. Look who got the number one jersey
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnvooiVk7q1qbx3o0o1_500.png

Also let's talk about a gift The Duchess received today :D

During the 5th day of the Canadian Tour Kate has received a diamond brooch made by Harry Winston. Winston CEO told Royal reporter Judy Wade that she loves 'em.
No pictures so far, but as soon as I find a link, I'll post it here

Last edited by a moderator:

No, we are not Hollywood, and you are right it is an incredible diverse city.
But the coverage will be as Hollywood oriented as it gets.

Just check out "Entertainment Tonight" or "Extra!" any evening of this week if you want a better idea of why I am finding the coverage of the visit already over the top and annoying.

Guys, don't fall for it. This is *all* this particular poster does in the William and Kate threads. They should remember that oh so true saying of Thumper's from Bambi...

I'll never understand posters like that.

Okay then. Remember Everyone that the majority of events so far have been in the Eastern Time Zones and Yellowknife isn't. :eek:) It's just now getting to be mid morning up there and I think the events are all taking place in the afternoon, right?

One more thing...For those who have been using the CBC's Video Player to watch the coverage, right now and for the next couple of hours, the majority of attention of the media in Canada will be in Newmarket, just outside of Toronto, and covering the Police Funeral of York Region Constable Garrett Styles. He was killed in the line of duty last week when he stopped a group of teens who were out joy riding, he somehow got entangled in the van and was dragged, then the van rolled and when all was said and done, he was trapped underneath it. :eek:(

The driver was only 15 and is now not only now in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, but is now also facing a First Degree Murder charge.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know why there's no coverage of William and Kate's visit to Yellowknife for the next little while if you are using the CBC to follow along w/the Tour.

I don't know what "certain" poster you are referring to, but just because someone is not fawning does not mean they are trying to cause trouble with snark.

I like TRF and I like posting here...genuinely. But the "if you are not with us you are against us" attitude here by many is a great turnoff.

If you don't like something you MUST hate it, there are no nuances here, only black/white.

I have not bashed the couple themselves, I like them. But I am dreading the overkill LA coverage based on previous Royal visits that I have lived through.

If you disagree say so, and please avoid making snide not so subtle digs at posters who don't share your view.

Last edited:
Yes, the event (which is called Hiring Our Heroes) is being held at Sony Studios, but the actual hosts are the U.S. and Los Angeles Chambers of Commerce. It's a job fair for veterans - there will be 200 employers and around 1,500 veterans in attendance. So this is not some celeb filled, useless event. Not only will William and Kate be putting together care packages, but they will also be meeting veterans and their spouses.

And why? Why are the royalty of another country (of course, another country) doing this with US veterans? I don't get it.

To me all of this sounds like they were coming to California at the tail end of a tour to have some fun and relaxation - I can relate and more power to them! - but someone decided there had to be 'meaningful' encounters. That's PR. Its like they couldn't have this bit of fluff without these 'significant events'. Hey, they aren't my royal family - William is not a Head of State. Seems to me a line is being crossed. I find I am annoyed with the presumption.

Last edited:
And why? Why are the royalty of another country (of course, another country) doing this with US veterans? I don't get it.

:previous:Uh I dunno...maybe because William has such strong ties to the UK military...the same military that is an ally of the US military. He's only an Royal Colonel in the British Army, a Commodore-in-Chief in the Royal Navy and a Air Commandant in the RAF...

To me all of this sounds like they were coming to California at the tail end of a tour to have some fun and relaxation - I can relate and more power to them! - but someone decided there had to be 'meaningful' encounters. That's PR.

:previous:The cat's out of the bag!:eek:

Its like they couldn't have this bit of fluff without these 'significant events'. Hey, they aren't my royal family - William is not a Head of State. Seems to me a line is being crossed. I find I am annoyed with the presumption.

:previous:Go to the beach, to the theater, to the movies or a nice restaurant ...you can even watch "America's Got Talent"...no one is forcing you to devote YOUR time or resources to host William and Catherine...as far as I know:ermm:

To me all of this sounds like they were coming to California at the tail end of a tour to have some fun and relaxation - I can relate and more power to them! - but someone decided there had to be 'meaningful' encounters. That's PR. Its like they couldn't have this bit of fluff without these 'significant events'. Hey, they aren't my royal family - William is not a Head of State. Seems to me a line is being crossed. I find I am annoyed with the presumption.

And why not? I really don't see the big deal. William isn't the first royal to pay tribute to US soldiers. If I recall correctly, Prince Charles met wounded US soldiers during his trip to Washington last year. On their royal visit, Frederik and Mary visited Walter Reed Military Hospital and met with American soldiers. During Prince Harry's recent NY trip, he met with US soldiers aboard the USS and even took part in a race for wounded veterans. I'm sure there are other examples, but I'm too lazy to look for them. So if a line has been crossed, it's been crossed long before William.

:previous:Uh I dunno...maybe because William has such strong ties to the UK military...the same military that is an ally of the US military. He's only an Royal Colonel in the British Army, a Commodore-in-Chief in the Royal Navy and a Air Commandant in the RAF...
Exactly. Military issues are obviously important to William and Harry- it's one of the causes in their charitable foundation, so it makes sense that William would want to participate in this event.

I'm looking forward to seeing the diamond brooch.

Last edited:

:previous:The cat's out of the bag!:eek:

:previous:Go to the beach, to the theater, to the movies or a nice restaurant ...you can even watch "America's Got Talent"...no one is forcing you to devote YOUR time or resources to host William and Catherine...as far as I know:ermm:

Hmmm......I see. Trust me, I will as will many, many others. Besides which no one gets past the Sony gates - it will be solely a 'photo-op'. Its not a big deal. What puzzles is that so many think it is. You seem impressed with William's titles - that's good. You also seem in sync with being manipulated by PR - okay. I just am seeing a slight crack in the veneer of what is being purported and what is. I sense this is not a popular view - and its new to me - it was 'born' when I heard about the 'poverty tour'. It saddens me but I'll leave it. Cheers!

The Special Relationship

(SNIP)

I think- in fact, I know- that there is still a large reserve of appreciation and affection from the UK for the part that our UK servicemen and women played in the liberation of Europe during WWII. And there is much appreciation from the US for the UK's participation in the 'coalition of the willing' during the war in Afghanistan. There is, indeed, a 'special relationship' between our two countries. And a good many veterans will be happy to meet up with the future Monarch. We shouldn't read more-or less- into this particular event than is merited.

Hmmm......I see. Trust me, I will as will many, many others. Besides which no one gets past the Sony gates - it will be solely a 'photo-op'. Its not a big deal. What puzzles is that so many think it is. You seem impressed with William's titles - that's good.

:previous:Cheers to you too...:) In regards to William's titles I'm just stating the facts...remove any emotion of satisfaction and the facts remain...he is still ranked accordingly within the three branches of the UK Armed Forces.

You also seem in sync with being manipulated by PR - okay.

:previous:"(M)anipulated by PR"...to do what exactly? Stay informed of the progress of the visit. How susceptible of me! Compare and contrast their visit with previous royal visits. How naive. Discuss with other followers of the BRF our viewpoints in regards to the visit...at least on this thread. So puerile. And all of this has been detrimental to what?

I just am seeing a slight crack in the veneer of what is being purported and what is. I sense this is not a popular view - and its new to me - it was 'born' when I heard about the 'poverty tour'. It saddens me but I'll leave it. Cheers!

:previous:Are you sad because you feel like you have been deceived? Have you discovered some ulterior motive of the Duke & Duchess in regard to the L.A. phase of their royal tour?

Veterans are an universal issue as they are all fighting beside each other in the various wars around the globe. William is also a military man himself and soon his only brother will be fighting in the same war that some of the veterans have been in.

The celebrities getting to hang with the Duke and Duchess in L.A. begin to be revealed:

JLo, Nicole Kidman and Tom Hanks among invitees

I guess this gives us an idea who "Hollywood Royalty" are. I'm not surprised that Barbra and James are on the list, at all. Some of the others are a bit surprising though.

No, we are not Hollywood, and you are right it is an incredible diverse city.
But the coverage will be as Hollywood oriented as it gets.

Just check out "Entertainment Tonight" or "Extra!" any evening of this week if you want a better idea of why I am finding the coverage of the visit already over the top and annoying.

Has there ever been a Calf visit before?
I know that when royals of the past came to the US it was always made a BIG DEAL and you seen it on the news and in the papers. But, I can't help but wonder if it is being made a bit more out there like examples you gave because they are coming to a part of the country where Stars actually are heard and not just seen!! Where as, in DC where only "invited" Satars.. as in by the white house or a spokesperson for a charity... I really expected all the whoopla of it being over the top with them flying into LAX ...and I am not suprised at all.

Last edited:
The celebrities getting to hang with the Duke and Duchess in L.A. begin to be revealed:

I guess this gives us an idea who "Hollywood Royalty" are. I'm not surprised that Barbra and James are on the list, at all. Some of the others are a bit surprising though.

Of course J-lo is there. This doesn't shock me at all :whistling:

I was hoping for A-listers from Britain. William and Catherine didn't send the invitations, so I wonder, with some of this random guests, what was the criteria?

I read earlier (and now I can't find it) that LA police are getting excited about their visit. LA is probably the worst city in the US in terms of paparazzi, which makes W&C's visit there a little surprising. But some new anti-pap laws went into effect in January, and they're just itching to use them! This isn't the article I read but it's similar: Shoot at Your Own Risk: LA Paparazzi Can Be Jailed For Snapping William and Kate - TIME NewsFeed I didn't think the neighbors had to sign the no-trespass letters. I thought they all chose to - they had been getting offers from tabliods, etc but had turned them down.

A bit more about their agenda:
Prince William and Catherine to visit Skid Row - USATODAY.com

Does anyone know which TV channels will cover live their arrival at LA and some other events?
Thank You in advance

No one on the list, other than Tom Hanks and Barbara Streisand is anywhere near being "Hollywood Royalty". Otherwise, it's a seemingly hodgepodge list of notable actors and directors, but certainly not Hollywood Royalty or even A list.

The Jolie Pitts declined to attend due to their filming schedules. :cool: I guess that is true of other A listers. With the goal being to spotlight British actors, it's surprising that there isn't a more impressive list of directors.

Hollywood is the land of big dreams and bigger egos. I don't think the incessant comments about stars falling over themselves to meet the Cambridges helped.

Also, I think that a nod to the US film industry and US-British ties would have been better received. Why give Canada the courtesy of highlighting all that it has to offer, but then come to California only to spotlight up and coming British stars? The US has welcomed British talent with open arms and showered them with Oscars and critical acclaim. I personally feel that an acknowledgement of that PLUS a look to the future would have been a better theme.

Last edited:
Does anyone know which TV channels will cover live their arrival at LA and some other events?
Thank You in advance

The only channel I know of so far with live streaming is Eonline. They will have their arrival and the BAFTA red carpet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom