The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,176
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to Los Angeles, CA July 8-10, 2011

The newly wed Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit California in July following their first official tour as a married couple in Canada, the royal family announced Thursday.

Prince William and Catherine are scheduled to be in California from July 8-10, Clarence House and St. James' Palace said in a statement.
The prince has never visited the United States in an official capacity, although he has come on a private trip. This will be the duchess' first time ever to come to the United States, the royal statement explained.
The couple married April 29, in an event watched by an estimated 2 billion viewers around the globe.

Prince William's father, Prince Charles, is currently in the United States. Wednesday, he visited a farm near Washington and met with President Barack Obama at the White House. Prince Charles is a longtime public advocate of sustainable and organic agriculture.
__________________

__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Marika86's Avatar
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Villa San Giovanni, Italy
Posts: 3,476
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge To Visit California, United States of America
__________________

__________________
Marika86
"It's very special, as Kate is very special. It's my way of making sure my mother didn't miss out on today and the excitement." Prince William, November 16 2010
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Nico's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,304
it's gonna be hysterical for sure...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grundisburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,732
Well that's exciting news! I wonder why California was chosen for the extra three days? My first official visit to the United States - erm... my honeymoon ;-) - was New England which I thought was a wonderful place to go for a first trip.

I think the Canadian/Californian trip will be well covered in the media!
__________________
J
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 AM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 2,790
Maybe Vancouver BC is on their itinerary. It's just a skip to California, depending where you visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
it's gonna be hysterical for sure...


Why hysterical?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Nico's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,304


With the media coverage...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:51 AM
texankitcat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Well that's exciting news! I wonder why California was chosen for the extra three days? My first official visit to the United States - erm... my honeymoon ;-) - was New England which I thought was a wonderful place to go for a first trip.

I think the Canadian/Californian trip will be well covered in the media!
Well covered is an understatement. Celebrities in the US are fair game for Paparazzi and Royalty will be no exception...particularly in Hollywood. I am somewhat surprised that they will not be going to Washington D.C. I imagine Obama will be viewed in the media as being slighted once again. First with the wedding invite, and now with their first trip to the US. We shall see how that all plays out.

Prince Charles is in DC right now, but I haven't seen even a blip in the media about it. That won't be the case when the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,176
I live in DC and there has been coverage of Charles's visit. Its been on the local news and mentioned in the Washington Post. I haven't been out yet so it might even be in the Washington Times.

And this LA visit has nothing to do with Obama...I am still waiting for an agenda. What's the purpose of this stop over?
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 281
C-SPAN's website has a video of his speech at Georgetown University. Link also in POW visit to USA.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-05-2011, 10:06 AM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 2,790
The extra three days might be private time. Perhaps they will stay at the Madonna Inn (not named after the singer) just outside San Luis Obispo. It is a wonderful old resort that is built into the Pacific cliffs. One of the guest rooms is hewn from solid rock.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Cinderella5x's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Huntington Beach, United States
Posts: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Well covered is an understatement. Celebrities in the US are fair game for Paparazzi and Royalty will be no exception...particularly in Hollywood. I am somewhat surprised that they will not be going to Washington D.C. I imagine Obama will be viewed in the media as being slighted once again. First with the wedding invite, and now with their first trip to the US. We shall see how that all plays out.

Prince Charles is in DC right now, but I haven't seen even a blip in the media about it. That won't be the case when the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit.
I live in CA and there has been a coverage in the media, I saw quite a few clips from Price Charles' visit.
__________________
NOTHING IS FORGOTTEN... NOTHING IS EVER FORGOTTEN...
But what is truth? Not easy to define. We both have truths, are yours the same as mine?
YOUR DAILY CLICK HELPS ANIMALS SURVIVE! Feed an animal in need, click for free: http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,088
Their visit may create hysteria in the young teenage girls in LA, but are people going to come out and see these two on mass? What do the LA members think?

I would like to know the answer to Zonks question, why are they going?
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-05-2011, 11:41 AM
MissEvangeline's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lubbock, United States
Posts: 5
Perhaps they chose L.A. because of the Beckhams? Whatever the case, my friends in that area are already dreading the horrible traffic jams this will create! It's hard to believe this will be the Duchess's first trip to the States, I thought she had been to NYC before.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-05-2011, 12:02 PM
CrownPrincess5's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beverly Hills, California, United States
Posts: 2,545
They're coming to my city! Finally.
I wonder what they'll be be visiting.
__________________
I don't dream at night, I dream all day. I dream for a living.
-Steven Spielberg
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-05-2011, 12:21 PM
CrownPrincess5's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beverly Hills, California, United States
Posts: 2,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen
Their visit may create hysteria in the young teenage girls in LA, but are people going to come out and see these two on mass? What do the LA members think?

I would like to know the answer to Zonks question, why are they going?
I would like to know that too.

No people in LA aren't going to come out and see them...it would probably be the tourists who will make a big deal of it. As far as the city goes, most of them could care less about Will and Kate coming to town. People in LA are used to seeing celebs all over the place. So there won't be a mass hysteria...and if there is it'll be because of tourists.
__________________
I don't dream at night, I dream all day. I dream for a living.
-Steven Spielberg
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 161
OMG. I mean no offense to Californians which is a perfectly beautiful state, but there in lines my point: Out of all the places in that awesome state, why L.A. first? Sure that's once town that can use a bit of class and lessons in how to act demurely and what not, but couldn't they save that for like Armageddon or something? LOL.

Why not Napa Valley or San Francisco where they have that nice art district? You know a place where culture doesn't mean wearing your Uggs with baby doll dresses? Just saying. Sorry. Just got into an altercation a few days ago with a family member from LA and I swear her brain has turned into vapid mush. She left the east coast perfectly able-bodied and intelligent. Three years and a few months later the only thing she could talk about was her non-existent waistline and how Fred Segal's, "should totally reconsider Lindsay Lohan's legging line" which is "fabulous" by the way.

Meanwhile, as someone posted the Beckhams, as posh as they are also a bit rough around Tynesdale edges, do live there so maybe they will visit with them and even stay at their home do you think?
__________________
"I had this garden party for my father's birthday, I said to RSVP cause it was a sit-down dinner, but people came who did not RSVP and so I was totally buggin'...but, by the end of the day, it was like, the more the merrier...So, if the government could just get in the kitchen, rearrange some things, we could certainly party with the Ha-ti-ans." Cher--Clueless
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Alexandria, United States
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita View Post
OMG. I mean no offense to Californians which is a perfectly beautiful state, but there in lines my point: Out of all the places in that awesome state, why L.A. first? Sure that's once town that can use a bit of class and lessons in how to act demurely and what not, but couldn't they save that for like Armageddon or something? LOL.

Why not Napa Valley or San Francisco where they have that nice art district? You know a place where culture doesn't mean wearing your Uggs with baby doll dresses? Just saying. Sorry. Just got into an altercation a few days ago with a family member from LA and I swear her brain has turned into vapid mush. She left the east coast perfectly able-bodied and intelligent. Three years and a few months later the only thing she could talk about was her non-existent waistline and how Fred Segal's, "should totally reconsider Lindsay Lohan's legging line" which is "fabulous" by the way.

Meanwhile, as someone posted the Beckhams, as posh as they are also a bit rough around Tynesdale edges, do live there so maybe they will visit with them and even stay at their home do you think?
Frankly, I agree. No offense to the LA folks (I have a few friends there), but really they could have picked better places to visit, especially for Catherine's first visit to USA (honestly--she has never been here before??). SF would be better place, and how about Northwest? Portland might be real nice, as it's a laid-back city (I think they call themselves a city that is really town or something like that).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-05-2011, 02:26 PM
EmpressRouge's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Eagle View Post
Frankly, I agree. No offense to the LA folks (I have a few friends there), but really they could have picked better places to visit, especially for Catherine's first visit to USA (honestly--she has never been here before??). SF would be better place, and how about Northwest? Portland might be real nice, as it's a laid-back city (I think they call themselves a city that is really town or something like that).
I am originally from the SF Bay Area and will always sing the praises of my city, but they're not coming here as tourists, they are coming in an official captivity right after their tour of Canada. I think a lot of it has to do with logistics. They needed to go to a major (i.e. big) city who can accommodate an official visit during those specific dates, which means it would probably have to be on the West Coast (which is probably why NYC and DC were not considered). Los Angeles is the second largest city in the US and probably had the most resources to prepare for the fanfare of the couple's first state tour.
I love SF and Napa, but I think given his most recent speech at Georgetown, it would have more meaning for Prince Charles to visit the birthplace of organic, local and sustainable farming/eating movement in the US. Although William hasn't clearly defined his causes, he did work a lot with the poor and homeless and maybe LA, being such a big metropolis, would be a great place to highlight those issues (imagine Prince Charles in LA "admiring" the modern architecture. And he and Catherine both spent gap years in Chile, so a big Hispanic population lets them show off their Spanish?
__________________
Real princesses always wear sleeves so why do we all go for strapless?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Sonjapearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In front of my Mac, United States
Posts: 607
I don't understand why they're going to L.A. either. To meet Hollywood royalty?

I live in NYC and would love to see them here. And it makes more sense for W&K to come to NYC because we're accustomed to seeing royalty here. Plus, diplomatically, it makes sense because of the U.N., the international feel here, and so on.

I guess I'll have to keep waiting.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-05-2011, 02:47 PM
texankitcat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
I am originally from the SF Bay Area and will always sing the praises of my city, but they're not coming here as tourists, they are coming in an official captivity right after their tour of Canada. I think a lot of it has to do with logistics. They needed to go to a major (i.e. big) city who can accommodate an official visit during those specific dates, which means it would probably have to be on the West Coast (which is probably why NYC and DC were not considered). Los Angeles is the second largest city in the US and probably had the most resources to prepare for the fanfare of the couple's first state tour.
I love SF and Napa, but I think given his most recent speech at Georgetown, it would have more meaning for Prince Charles to visit the birthplace of organic, local and sustainable farming/eating movement in the US. Although William hasn't clearly defined his causes, he did work a lot with the poor and homeless and maybe LA, being such a big metropolis, would be a great place to highlight those issues (imagine Prince Charles in LA "admiring" the modern architecture. And he and Catherine both spent gap years in Chile, so a big Hispanic population lets them show off their Spanish?
I am originally from the Bay Area as well, and culturally speaking it has a lot more to offer.

Since this is an official trip, what could Los Angeles possibly offer in that respect? I have never heard of Royalty doing any official visits to Los Angeles in the past. I can certainly see DC and NY since those are the hub of most international interests. But Los Angeles?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which countries would you like to see the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit? Lenora The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 56 05-21-2014 04:47 AM
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to Canada - June 30 to July 8, 2011 Zonk The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 918 12-10-2012 05:12 PM
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge current events 1: 29 April 2011- 30 November 2011 wbenson Current Events Archive 1081 12-01-2011 12:42 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events diana fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta elena jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman pieter van vollenhoven pom pregnancy president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess elisabeth princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]