Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to Los Angeles, California - July 8-10, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A big round of applause for William & Kate for completing an absolutely BRILLIANT first overseas tour. Hats off to both of them! WHAT. A. PAIR. And forget about what Kate wore (they're all lovely, btw), it's the way they interacted with the crowd and brought genuine compassion to everything they did that truly made them a class act. I am very excited for the future of the monarchy with these two around... I hope they get the much deserved rest and down time now, although I personally can't wait for their next tour. Bring on Australia!

Brittish Air from LAX to Heathrow is a direct flight. My guess an eight to nine hours flight.

It's booked at 9 hours 31 minutes. The airplane just passed over Greenland. (It can be tracked here.)

Last edited:
Ok, everyone, time for your FAVORITE MOMENTS and why

FAVORITE....

CITY/PROVINCE: Prince Edward Island. They were the most "themselves"

WILLIAM MOMENT: His first speech in Ottawa. My first time hearing him speak French. It was priceless. Just a hoot.

KATE MOMENT: When she said "woooo" back every time the crowd cheered "wooo" in the Quebec walkabout

COUPLE MOMENT: Who could forget the PEI playful cuddle? But the best for me was when the crowd's cheers went on and on and on during the Canada Day morning show. And William turned bright red and Kate gave him a pat on the knee.

SURPRISING MOMENT: The PDA's! Did not expect that at all. Surprised with the PEI cuddle. Surprised with the polo trophy kisses. Lovely to see them let their guard down a little

TOUCHING MOMENT: Kate with 6-year-old Diamond Marshall

ENGAGEMENT/EVENT: Dragonboat racing at PEI. Once again, they were most themselves. Also loved the Quebec walkabout.

KATE LOOK: Floral dress by Jenny Packham for polo. Odd choice, I know. But she looked fresh as a daisy and the most natural.

WILLIAM LOOK: Howdy, cowboy! Enough said.

Let me just get this out now: I SAW THEM IN LA!

I had heard a lot of naysaying about the opportunities to see the couple, but decided to take a chance and camp out for the BAFTA event, which was given minimal exposure in the LA media compared to the "$4000 Polo Match!!". And it was amazing.

What made it worthwhile for me was the people who were also there waiting hours for the Royal Couple. It was a great atmosphere, with everyone being just so damn happy about...everything. Everyone was so kind and united in their admiration for the royals. It made the experience so special. The reaction to the Hollywood stars were NOTHING compared to William and Kate. When that motorcade arrived, you could just feel the excitement.

The Duke exited the car right in front of where I was - such a great memory.

I'm very happy for you and glad you decided to make the effort to see William and Kate. I'm regretting, although less so today that I didn't even try especially after seeing that the couple did shake hands and greet the folks around Hancock Park. It wouldn't have occurred to me to hang out at that location so I'm just happy for those that got a chance to see them. :flowers:

A big round of applause for William & Kate for completing an absolutely BRILLIANT first overseas tour. Hats off to both of them! WHAT. A. PAIR. And forget about what Kate wore (they're all lovely, btw), it's the way they interacted with the crowd and brought genuine compassion to everything they did that truly made them a class act. I am very excited for the future of the monarchy with these two around... I hope they get the much deserved rest and down time now, although I personally can't wait for their next tour. Bring on Australia!
I agree they did a fantastic job. I can only imagine how tired they are. I bet Kate can't wait to get into her own bed and have a home cooked meal. I'd be wanting to get back to my "normal" life as soon as possible. I bet it will be nice for her to run to the grocery store for a change or sit alone at her house without anyone telling her she's got to be somewhere. At least for a couple of days.

I agree they did a fantastic job. I can only imagine how tired they are. I bet Kate can't wait to get into her own bed and have a home cooked meal. I'd be wanting to get back to my "normal" life as soon as possible. I bet it will be nice for her to run to the grocery store for a change or sit alone at her house without anyone telling her she's got to be somewhere. At least for a couple of days.

William said he could hardly wait to get home to Anglesey and lie down in a dark room. :sad:

haha thanks for the compliments everyone! Duchess of Durham I'm actually starting a journalism program this fall/winter. I'd love to work at the BBC. All I've ever wanted to do since I got into the BRF is be a royal correspondent.

Now that I'm back I'll just give us the latest round of updates
From spokesperson: William & Kate to go under the radar. Summer off, 1-2 engagements/month for autumn/winter. Will concentrate on marriage
britishroyals British Royals

William aiming for captaincy; will be busy flying. Kate meeting charity reps. Spotlight remain on Queen, Charles... tinyurl.com/5wxcmx2
Plus: Prince William Jokes About Nude Pics, Kate's Shopping Habits - omg! news on Yahoo!

William said he could hardly wait to get home to Anglesey and lie down in a dark room. :sad:

When did he say that?

I think he's just sick of the flashbulbs they had to face. Hence the dark room reference.

On a lighter note, perhaps he's got some plans in his mind about what he and Kate will do in that dark room. That's why he can't wait to lie down! :lol:

The dark room comment

haha thanks for the compliments everyone! Duchess of Durham I'm actually starting a journalism program this fall/winter. I'd love to work at the BBC. All I've ever wanted to do since I got into the BRF is be a royal correspondent.

From spokesperson: William & Kate to go under the radar. Summer off, 1-2 engagements/month for autumn/winter. Will concentrate on marriage
Plus: Prince William Jokes About Nude Pics, Kate's Shopping Habits - omg! news on Yahoo!

When did he say that?

Woops! Here it is:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23968752-kate-and-wills-inner-city-art-class.do

The royal family traditionally spends August and September at Balmoral, the Queen's private castle in the Highlands, and William has told a friend that he can't wait to get back to Anglesey, where he is a search and rescue pilot, and "lie down in a darkened room."

Last edited:

When did he say that?
He said that to Robert Jobson in Canada. He mentioned it in this today show report.

TODAY Video Player

I guess as soon the plane took off she went and changeto more confortable clothes for a long trip! nice to enter into a plane just with high hills and a clutch! wish I could do that!!!!!!!! hope for them a pleasent trip home!

Wow. I would have been hiding in a corner if I had gone to the awards looking like JLO or some of the other characters. I cant believe these actors with all the money they have cant find something more appropriate to wear. My god,some of them looked ghastly!!! And we have the audacity to call these people Hollywood royalty? All I know is the Duke and Duchess must be thinking we have lost our minds to consider these people anything but hideous and uncouth. Sorry, just my opinion. Im not saying everyone looked bad but there always has to be someone in the crowd that makes us look like trash. Other than that the Duke and Duchess looked fabulous, they did a fantastic job with their tour. Catherine did great for her first time and now they need some down time to recoup. Im glad they made such a wonderful impression on everyone, but then, did we expect anything else? Cheers!!!

He said that to Robert Jobson in Canada. He mentioned it in this today show report.

TODAY Video Player

Woops! Here it is:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23968752-kate-and-wills-inner-city-art-class.do

The royal family traditionally spends August and September at Balmoral, the Queen's private castle in the Highlands, and William has told a friend that he can't wait to get back to Anglesey, where he is a search and rescue pilot, and "lie down in a darkened room."

Aww poor Wills must be sick of the pictures. Well he's got some business to do in that dark room so I don't mind his eagerness :lol: I'm sure by now they've arrived and are perhaps spending the night together if William isn't on call.I kno the feeling of the only thing you want to do when you get home after a long trip is spend the night in your bed and just sleep properly so hopefully he didn't have the night shift.

Ok, everyone, time for your FAVORITE MOMENTS and why

FAVORITE....

CITY/PROVINCE: Prince Edward Island. They were the most "themselves"

WILLIAM MOMENT: His first speech in Ottawa. My first time hearing him speak French. It was priceless. Just a hoot.

KATE MOMENT: When she said "woooo" back every time the crowd cheered "wooo" in the Quebec walkabout

COUPLE MOMENT: Who could forget the PEI playful cuddle? But the best for me was when the crowd's cheers went on and on and on during the Canada Day morning show. And William turned bright red and Kate gave him a pat on the knee.

SURPRISING MOMENT: The PDA's! Did not expect that at all. Surprised with the PEI cuddle. Surprised with the polo trophy kisses. Lovely to see them let their guard down a little

TOUCHING MOMENT: Kate with 6-year-old Diamond Marshall

ENGAGEMENT/EVENT: Dragonboat racing at PEI. Once again, they were most themselves. Also loved the Quebec walkabout.

KATE LOOK: Floral dress by Jenny Packham for polo. Odd choice, I know. But she looked fresh as a daisy and the most natural.

WILLIAM LOOK: Howdy, cowboy! Enough said.

Lovely idea. Did not see that Woo moment in Montreal. Is that a video of it?

Last edited:
That video of the two of them at the inner city kids event was too adorable. William looked to be more interested in chatting, while Kate really got into it. I'll bet that snail (?) she painted will be framed along w/a photo of her painting it and kept in a place of honour in that centre. :eek:)

Sorry haven't been around much, but all of our Summer friends from Southern Ontario and South Carolina all arrived on the weekend, so the most I've been doing is reading. Thanks to one and all for all the links to this, that and the other. :eek:)

Thank you for the videos and pics. :flowers:

The guy asked him if anyone has ever called him 'dude'. :lol:
oh hahah :lol: thanks and good ear I couldn't make out what he was saying.

Kate Middleton and Prince William's royal tour: Giada de Laurentiis's behind-the-scenes account | Mail Online
Prince William and Kate Visit Inner-City Arts in Skid Row : People.com
Prince William and Kate, Reese Witherspoon at Charity Event : People.com
Prince William and Kate End North American Trip : People.com
Kate Middleton Is Getting Over Her Horse Allergy : People.com

The Guardian pulled their original article over embargo but here's a quote I found from the Standard.
“The Queen is “delighted” with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s tour of North America – and plans to reward the couple with a long holiday. The Standard understands that William and Kate, who were landing at Heathrow this morning on a scheduled British Airways flight, will take two-and-a-half months away from public duties and will not have their next official engagement until the end of September.”

How disappointing. By the way NOBODY overshadows the Queen.

I don't understand how she doesn't already understand William's charities by now. She already should have some information about Tusk Trust as she did some stuff with it in L.A. What about the Foundation of William and Harry or the VanStraubenzee charities? She has done events for them as well.

I get that she needs to sort out her own charities but I do not think that will take too much time as she has a team to help her out with these things. As for William, he has obligations to the military but Kate is a different story. Hope they change their mind about this.

Did anyone else notice in the video the little girl who obviously was telling William to put the art apron over is head ... he didn't, and patted his lap, obviously not into doing the total art thing. Haha, maybe that's why he ended up with something on his trousers. I loved the interaction of these two with the children, it was beyond perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom