Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to Los Angeles, California - July 8-10, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is kinda disturbing um can we leave them alone now to enjoy the reception no need to continue with the helicopter sheesh plus I have to go eat dinner what are they doing to me today. I didn't even get to enjoy my coffee ran back home to catch the arrival.

Last edited:
They're keeping the crowd pretty far away. I guess they fear Americans more than Canadians?

(Probably not the Royal couple's decision at all; probably LAPD).

Would have been nice if they'd cracked the window a bit in the Range Rover (security probably wouldn't let them).

BUT, they can be seen by some of the crowd!

Urgh! I am sitting in the house in Pacific Palisades and the number of helicopters gyrating up and down the coastline in the last 40 minutes has been surreal! I have not been able to hear my music at some points. :eek: It seems I cannot escape them! :p

Maybe I will wander up to the Polo Field tomorrow - every attempt to be where they are not is not working! Ha! ;)

P.S. Just for clarity, I know they are not 'here' where I am (so no need to correct me), but I do know the helicopters are somehow connected their being in town and helicopters are very noisy! Plus they are flying so low!

Last edited:
Isn't this thing meant to be private what are they doing?! Ugh only in LA come on Wills and Kate hurry up for christ sake

As to the content of the conference - the ostensible reason for the Royal couple to be in L.A. is to support British/Commonwealth filmmaking, and raising capital for such ventures is a serious topic.

It isn't all fun and games, being royal. At least the topic is one that William has said is of great interest to him. To me, it would beat going to hospitals or Skid Row, but that's just me.

Those of us who read Variety find the Industry interesting enough, perhaps William will take something away from the meeting about how films actually end up getting made, promoted and finally seen in various venues.

British filmmakers seem far off to Hollywood types, I think, and Variety is trying to close the gap by sponsoring this.
If you think about it, the BBC is quite HUGE in England and Hollywood is it's equivelent so it would make sense that their HRH would hit that industry. Hollywood is just about the only game in town there.

This is kinda disturbing um can we leave them alone now to enjoy the reception no need to continue with the helicopter sheesh plus I have to go eat dinner what are they doing to me today. I didn't even get to enjoy my coffee ran back home to catch the arrival.
I agree. But that's how LA media works unfortunately. Helicopters overhead have become a regular sight. At least paparazzi have been restricted.

I agree. But that's how LA media works unfortunately. Helicopters overhead have become a regular sight. At least paparazzi have been restricted.
I know right and sadly even though I hate what they're doing I still can't manage to turn it off :lol:

Yeah, I thought I could squeeze in a half hour workout and they were already in Hancock Park. That's what happens in LA, helicopters take shots of people's backyards. Doesn't matter who they are, they just have to be in LA.

But, I don't spot them in the back. They'll probably remain in the house. ;)

I do have to say that those cocktail tables are sparse. You'd think they could throw in a few more with that big a lawn.

Yeah, I thought I could squeeze in a half hour workout and they were already in Hancock Park. That's what happens in LA, helicopters take shots of people's backyards. Doesn't matter who they are, they just have to be in LA.

I do have to say that those cocktail tables are sparse. You'd think they could throw in a few more with that big a lawn.
I know right? I grabbed my coffee sat down for what felt like 5 mins looked at my phone and realized what time it was and I just grabbed my coffee and ran home. It kinda looks like they're waiting for them I dunno maybe they're going to change again? All I know is my dinner is almost ready and I don't want to miss them hopefully someone posts a screencap if/when they come out.

The reception is at 7:30pm I think. So they have a good hour or so to freshen up. Kate can change her dress again. William can put his navy suit on again too. :lol: Unless its a casual dinner.

I want to see William play polo tomorrow. He better win since his wifey is presenting the trophy. Maybe we''ll get a kiss? William is in a PDA mode these days so I expect some kissage.

Last edited:
Urgh! I am sitting in the house in Pacific Palisades and the number of helicopters gyrating up and down the coastline in the last 40 minutes has been surreal! (Actually from about 5:40 until 6:00) I have not been able to hear my music at some points. :eek: It seems I cannot escape them! :p

Maybe I will wander up to the Polo Field tomorrow - every attempt to be where they are not is not working! Ha! ;)

Does anyone know if they took Sunset down to the PCH? Because there was a 30-40 minute period there where the helicopters were choking the airspace at Sunset/PCH.

I don't see any celebrities at this conference (the Duke and Duchess will be hobnobbing with them tomorrow night - I think it's unavoidable, given their status; they can't very well go walk up and down Hollywood Blvd). I see hardworking behind the scenes types. And the reason, according to Clarence House is to support "UK Trade and Investment." This particular meeting is trying strategize to get people with money to invest in UK films. This does help the "little people" who are trying to work in film in the UK. That's how the average person in films gets work - from the investment of people in the making of the film. Most people who work in films do not make a lot of money.

This is a working visit, yes? I do not expect Los Angelenos to turn out in crowds to a route that was barely revealed to them in the past few hours.

The Royal couple's itinerary in SoCal is very limited; most of us won't be able to show our enthusiasm (they're 1.5 hours from where I sit right now, but tomorrow they'll be closer).

Thank you for this, PrincessKaimi. :flowers:

Last edited:

I just turned off the ABC live stream because those helicopter shots were driving me nuts! Intrusive much? I understand it's LA, but give these two and those at the dinner/reception a break! We will be seeing more of them tomorrow and Sunday. Ugh.

OK, rant over. Feel free to carry on.

If encouraging people to invest in UK Films means that we get more Masterpiece theatre imported from England as well as films like The King's Speech, Bend it Like Beckham (although I think they were brought over to the US by major film companies) than I am all for it.

But yes Princess Kaimi is correct.....investment should (one hopes) lead to jobs. People spending money!

If you think about it, the BBC is quite HUGE in England and Hollywood is it's equivelent so it would make sense that their HRH would hit that industry. Hollywood is just about the only game in town there.

True. I think it makes sense too. They are also such a photogenic pair, it's not hard for them to win hearts over the airwaves - which in the end, is what film and television are about.

The grocery store where I stopped in a relatively small town 50 miles from L.A. had gotten together a display of British flags and Royal Wedding DVD's in the last two days. Having the Royal couple become this type of celebrity certainly can't hurt similar British-themed marketing displays.

You know, what was funny and cute about the helicopter filming of the entire drive from LAX to the Beverly Hilton, the commentators were like, "What street are they on? Is that Culver? Yeah, on Culver just crossing Lincoln. This is a kind of an interesting route.... Hey, this is actually a great way to get to the Westside from LAX. You know, I've never seen this route before."

That's quintessential LA for you. Admiring the driving routes used by others. :ROFLMAO:

ETA: here's tonight's gown info
Kate wears American designer Diane Von Furstenberg on her first night in LA. She's in a 'Maja' Green silk dress, and carries a bag, by Dv F.

Last edited:
Yep just saw it too. So now where are the photogs when we need them!

As to the content of the conference - the ostensible reason for the Royal couple to be in L.A. is to support British/Commonwealth filmmaking, and raising capital for such ventures is a serious topic.

It isn't all fun and games, being royal. At least the topic is one that William has said is of great interest to him. To me, it would beat going to hospitals or Skid Row, but that's just me.

Those of us who read Variety find the Industry interesting enough, perhaps William will take something away from the meeting about how films actually end up getting made, promoted and finally seen in various venues.

British filmmakers seem far off to Hollywood types, I think, and Variety is trying to close the gap by sponsoring this.

What I find interesting reading this is we have to remember too that the most recent film awarded with "Best Picture" at the Oscars was "The King's Speech" which was focused on William's great-great grandparents. I've still not seen the film nor do I know how many Oscars it received or if it was even American or British made. All I came to realize that there is a market on both sides of the pond for things British. With William being patron of BAFTA, it would make sense that he'd be a part of these discussions.

Yes, what with The King's Speech and the Royal Wedding, it's time for a British revival in Hollywood. I for one would love to see more costume dramas set in Britain with British backdrops and decor.

Kate is making a good case for British design, on the whole, as well. Good job, British Royals - I think it's a great strategy.

Yep just saw it too. So now where are the photogs when we need them!

I know, right? I was hoping to get a live feed or something. Hopefully they'll release some photos soon.

I know, right? I was hoping to get a live feed or something. Hopefully they'll release some photos soon.
I sure hope so I'd kinda be sad if we didn't see her outfit tonight! Sounds like a nice dress!

I sure hope so I'd kinda be sad if we didn't see her outfit tonight! Sounds like a nice dress!

It does sound nice and green is a color that we haven't seen her wear yet. I'm crossing my fingers for a photo or two.

I love the hoodie moment.

Urgh! I am sitting in the house in Pacific Palisades and the number of helicopters gyrating up and down the coastline in the last 40 minutes has been surreal! (Actually from about 5:40 until 6:00) I have not been able to hear my music at some points. :eek: It seems I cannot escape them! :p

Maybe I will wander up to the Polo Field tomorrow - every attempt to be where they are not is not working! Ha! ;)s:

I'm in my house in Malibu and I heard the exact same thing. All this noise is not necessary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom