The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Nobility

A number of articles have been written about the upcoming visit. Some are straight to the point others have a tabloid, snarky spin.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/08/us/08royals.html?hpw

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/03/su...ANgeles&st=cse

Kate Middleton and Prince William to be the biggest stars in Tinseltown - Telegraph

Old 07-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
Does anyone know which TV channels will cover live their arrival at LA and some other events?
Thank You in advance
E! online will have a live stream.

We're Livestreaming as Kate Middleton and Prince William Take California! - E! Online

There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancchick View Post
Priceless!

Just to confirm, the police cars traveling the neighborhoods around the Sony Studios in Culver City are significant. (My tax dollars, I might add). Yesterday, out and about on my errands, I found myself in a chain of 5 police cars on Culver Blvd. Needless to say I will avoid the Sony Gates like the plague over the weekend - no Venice Beach for me! These things are soooo annoying!
Old 07-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Serene Highness

Exactly. Good thing you read it here!

Much better to avoid things you don't like
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Priceless!

Just to confirm, the police cars traveling the neighborhoods around the Sony Studios in Culver City are significant. (My tax dollars, I might add). Yesterday, out and about on my errands, I found myself in a chain of 5 police cars on Culver Blvd. Needless to say I will avoid the Sony Gates like the plague over the weekend - no Venice Beach for me! These things are soooo annoying!
This is so true. I remember when Obama came to Westwood for a fundraiser. Unbelievable traffic. Lots of people were angry, including me! For Angelenos, dignitaries are not usually exciting. They are a traffic nightmare. Not to mention the waste of police time.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I remember when Obama came to Westwood for a fundraiser. Unbelievable traffic. Lots of people were angry, including me! For Angelenos, dignitaries are not usually exciting. They are a traffic nightmare. Not to mention the waste of police time.
At least it was the US President - we sort of expect it.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Royal Highness

http://m.people.com/newsitem.rbml?item=20508578

Williams polo jersey
Old 07-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Serene Highness

I'm watching local SoCal news right now, and they're really gearing up for tomorrow. It seems to have only started today though. They're encouraging people to go "catch a glimpse" of the royal couple.

Also, some travel company is raffling off its own Royal Tour of California, spinning the point that "three days is not enough!"
Old 07-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Nobility

KTLA has a bunch of video news reports on their site: Royal Visit: Prince William and Kate Middleton visit Southern California - ktla.com

KTLA is ditzy. I'm embarrassed by them.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
KTLA has a bunch of video news reports on their site: Royal Visit: Prince William and Kate Middleton visit Southern California - ktla.com

KTLA is ditzy. I'm embarrassed by them.
I must say that after watching only a few of those videos I am in complete agreement.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Serene Highness

"Hollywood Royalty" /= "Real Hollywood Royalty." It is always du jour in Hollywood - there is never and cannot really be "Hollywood Royalty." In Hollywood, phrases like 5-year A-list or on and off again 2 year A-lister/part time B-lister are thrown around as sub-categories of that term. It's just like real royalty in one way though: not everyone has the same rank or precendence; there are major and minor royals.

It strikes me that William, by agreeing to this California segment - which is oh, so brief - is very much aware of his public presence and the PR opportunities his new bridge gives him. Whether or not they invite British actors to any event, they are calling attention to Britain - my daughter's crowd is all a-twitter about making a reciprocal trip to London because, as everyone knows, where Royals live there be castles and drawbridges and jewels and what-not.

Just watched an interview with a young woman who met the Royal Couple in Canada - a very brief, chance encounter. She was thrilled. But here in SoCal, they are giving out the exact address of the Consul's house (odd, even by SoCal standards where star addresses are usually retroactive), encouraging a crowd to form. Young L.A. will be delighted to have a Royal Event to go to.

Some of this is due to geographical proximity, as the places they are visiting (including Montecito/Santa Barbara) all have local populations that turn out for a movie filming or any group activity that's parade-like or media-savvy. It's fun at this time of year, it's warm in the evenings, the beach is always close by, young people like grouping together and partying a little, in a mannerly way, of course.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Gentry

Tomorrow I am leaving to go to LA, and I am very excited. I don’t think I will see the couple, but I will try! Yet all this media hype is so off-putting. It seems like in this modern age, every single event in the world -celebrity dramas, political scandals, natural disasters, murder trials, a YouTube sensation -gets built up to the point where the normal person just can’t stand it anymore! If I didn’t already like the Royal Couple, I think I would probably hate them just due to the suffocating coverage they receive.

In my opinion, a large part of why they are coming to California is for BAFTA. They probably won’t come to North America again for years, and William’s the president now, so that’s that. Besides that though, everything else is quite obviously filler. The trade event, polo match, Inner City Arts thing, and servicemen meeting will all no doubt be beneficial, yet I think they were organized just to pad the BAFTA event. I’m okay with that because I see it as helping young British talent, although I know that hits a nerve with some people. But that opinion obviously doesn’t concern me, because if I saw the Cambridges as self-absorbed, pleasure-seeking, monarchy-destroying, lazy celebrity wannabes, I would simply not be taking the time to go see them.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Royal Highness

With royal visit, celeb shooters under scrutiny - Manage Your Life on Shine

Another article about the paps.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Baroness View Post
Tomorrow I am leaving to go to LA, and I am very excited. I don’t think I will see the couple, but I will try! Yet all this media hype is so off-putting. It seems like in this modern age, every single event in the world -celebrity dramas, political scandals, natural disasters, murder trials, a YouTube sensation -gets built up to the point where the normal person just can’t stand it anymore! If I didn’t already like the Royal Couple, I think I would probably hate them just due to the suffocating coverage they receive.

In my opinion, a large part of why they are coming to California is for BAFTA. They probably won’t come to North America again for years, and William’s the president now, so that’s that. Besides that though, everything else is quite obviously filler. The trade event, polo match, Inner City Arts thing, and servicemen meeting will all no doubt be beneficial, yet I think they were organized just to pad the BAFTA event. I’m okay with that because I see it as helping young British talent, although I know that hits a nerve with some people. But that opinion obviously doesn’t concern me, because if I saw the Cambridges as self-absorbed, pleasure-seeking, monarchy-destroying, lazy celebrity wannabes, I would simply not be taking the time to go see them.
I hope it works out for you. To which event are you heading? Be forewarned, my feeling is that because this is LA and we are not a Commonwealth country, Wills and Kate will not make mixing with the locals a priority. And the LAPD can be very mean about shutting down several square blocks around an event.

I have a Dodger game Sunday afternoon and have thought about trying to hit the Inner City Arts event that morning, but hanging out in Skid Row if the police will even let me is making me change my mind. It was probably best to see them in Britain. LA officials wouldn't be smart enough to hand out wristbands like the Canadians have done.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I hope it works out for you. To which event are you heading? Be forewarned, my feeling is that because this is LA and we are not a Commonwealth country, Wills and Kate will not make mixing with the locals a priority. And the LAPD can be very mean about shutting down several square blocks around an event.

I have a Dodger game Sunday afternoon and have thought about trying to hit the Inner City Arts event that morning, but hanging out in Skid Row if the police will even let me is making me change my mind. It was probably best to see them in Britain. LA officials wouldn't be smart enough to hand out wristbands like the Canadians have done.
That is sad, because there are a good number of people who would love to see them (me being one of those people). Hopefully those of you who are going to attempt to catch a glimpse are successful.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Heir Apparent

May I ask, will there be somewhere to watch the Bafta's online? I'm so used to seeing everything from the Canada tour that it'll be weird not to see every little moment of the LA tour.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
That is sad, because there are a good number of people who would love to see them (me being one of those people). Hopefully those of you who are going to attempt to catch a glimpse are successful.
My understanding is there will be no public access to any of the venues. Unless they alter this ad hoc but its unlikely - security would have to be amped up considerably to have that kind of access. Its not worth the risks i would think, but who knows, maybe they have contingency plans.

Remember, its Los Angeles that is paying for the added security as it is - but wait, is it? It raises the question - will William and Kate - or Charles - or the Queen - or the British government - be paying for all the arrangements? Who pays for all this? In Commonwealth countries I assume it is the host country, but in this case its not a country but a city that is setting up the venues and entailing the police force - who pays? Maybe the venues are being privately arranged as I think about it - but there is still the police and airport security and all that. 'Tis all a puzzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
But here in SoCal, they are giving out the exact address of the Consul's house (odd, even by SoCal standards where star addresses are usually retroactive), encouraging a crowd to form. Young L.A. will be delighted to have a Royal Event to go to.
I've been wondering about that - whether people would be showing up. How embarrassing if they don't, eh? So we are being 'encouraged' to show up? Hmmm....that exact address is odd....but I'm not going.....I'll be in Pacific Palisades...... I do hope she wears something spiffy - really looking forward to see what she pulls out of the closet for her California stretch.

I was down on West Sunset today and the Cat 'n Fiddle Pub and Restaurant had their British flag out and signs welcoming 'William and Kate'.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:59 AM
Commoner

What is the hourly visit to Duke and Duchess of Cambridge schedule in Los Angeles?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Nobility

An LA Times article talking about all the street closures. It really goes on to confirm what I guessed is that this visit is NOT an opportunity for the public to meet them. Will and Kate go to the event and then they head off. No time for dilly dallying.

Will and Kate in Los Angeles: In Los Angeles, paparazzi aren't on the royal itinerary - latimes.com
Old 07-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Serene Highness

It will certainly be possible to see them pass by and to wave to them, if one looks closely at their itinerary - they'll be on the freeway from Hancock Park to SB tomorrow morning.