The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Administrator

This thread will be reopened as we get closer to the visit.

Hopefully by that time, an agenda will be released by Clarence House.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Serene Highness

More details about the Duke and Duchess tour to Canada and Los Angeles
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: American Visit Dates : People.com

There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Prince William and Kate Middleton to visit largest rodeo during U.S. tour | Mail Online

Prince William and Princess Catherine world tour: Royal couple to stay in hotel that inspired Stanley Kubrick's The Shining | Mail Online
Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

From the Clarence House Twitter:

8th July: Arriving in Los Angeles, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit an event supporting UK Trade Investment.

8th July: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will then attend a reception at the Consul-General’s Residence in LA.

9th July: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend a charity polo match at Santa Barbara Polo Club.

9th July: The Duke will play, and The Duchess will attend the event and hand over the prize to the winning team.

9th July: The Duke and Duchess will attend a BAFTA event. The Duke is President and will make a speech.

10th July: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit Inner City Arts, which provides visual arts and performances to inner city children.

10th July: The Duke and Duchess will attend ‘Service Nation: Mission Serve’ supporting the reintegration of servicemen and women.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Nobility

Upcoming visit to Los Angeles

10th July: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit Inner City Arts, which provides visual arts and performances to inner city children.

Shoot, I knew the whole, "they're going to skid row for some kids/art thing" was familiar. As soon as I saw Inner City Arts this morning as the Cambridges confirmed visit on July 10th, it occurred to me that one of my previous bosses was on the Board of Inner City Arts. Heck, now he's the chairman.

I'm debating whether or not to contact him to get me in. Perhaps it's better to hang with the regular folk outside.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancchick View Post
I'm debating whether or not to contact him to get me in. Perhaps it's better to hang with the regular folk outside.
Oh DO it! Whenever else will you get a chance to meet living history?? Then tell us EVERYTHING!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Shoot, I knew the whole, "they're going to skid row for some kids/art thing" was familiar. As soon as I saw Inner City Arts this morning as the Cambridges confirmed visit on July 10th, it occurred to me that one of my previous bosses was on the Board of Inner City Arts. Heck, now he's the chairman.

Ask! You never know unless you ask. That's my philosophy.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Definitely ask, or at least go and hang outside. This is a chance of a lifetime.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

William and Kate's California itinerary revealed
Article

Prince William, Kate Middleton to Visit Santa Barbara in July
Article

Prince William, Kate to combine glamour, charity in LA
Article
Old 07-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
For me the trip is getting too long and is being dragged on by silly events / holiday activities such as public cooking and boat racing.

I fear the worst when they go to California to rub shoulders with so called celebrities, turning into the Disney couple of royalty.

I like this couple but I really, really, wish they were not coming here to Los Angeles for the very reason you stated in your last sentence.

Hollywood has the most shallow and pretentious people imaginable. Prince William was barely on anyone's register before he and his wife became global superstars simply by having a beautiful wedding...now every two bit starlet and producer and socialite will be cloying to host them and have their photo taken with them...the fawning and gushing will be over the top
because they are the "It" couple right now.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23

I like this couple but I really, really, wish they were not coming here to Los Angeles for the very reason you stated in your last sentence.

Hollywood has the most shallow and pretentious people imaginable. Prince William was barely on anyone's register before he and his wife became global superstars simply by having a beautiful wedding...now every two bit starlet and producer and socialite will be cloying to host them and have their photo taken with them...the fawning and gushing will be over the top
I just wish they kept it in the commonwealth for this visit. There will be plenty of time and opportunity to visit outside the realm over the months and years to come. Sorry if this comes off as rude, but that leg of the trip does kinda seem like an afterthought. The addition of the trip to Cali was announced well after the announcement of this tour. I truly hope they enjoy themselves in Cali, but it seems odd to go there on this trip. This was a trip to a country where they will one day be King and Queen of, so from that perspective, yeah, I wish it was just kept to Canada for this trip, as was originally announced. Again, sorry if this came off as rude, no offence intended. Belated Happy 4th to our American friends! Belated Happy Canada Day Canada!! :)
Old 07-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

I'm very surprised by the reaction to the Los Angeles visit by some of the members here. To say you're way over generalizing the qualities of an entire city is an understatement. The southern California itinerary includes Santa Barbara which is nowhere near LA (it's even in another County ). They're going to a BAFTA awards show, OK but they are also heading to one of the poorest parts of downtown and assembling care packages for soldiers in Culver City.

Los Angeles is a one of the most diverse cities in the world. Will and Kate should sure as heck visit here. We're not Hollywood and for Los Angeles-based members promoting it as such betrays a great opportunity to show what we're all about.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23

Not everyone cares though. Not every famous person is clawing to see them. There are quite a few celebs who could care less about them coming. It's the people who like to be seen and heard..ahem I won't say any names... thats trying to get a pic with them. I'm glad they're coming to LA. I've always wanted to meet Prince William. If they end up turning like a Hollywood couple then that's their problem. If that happens they obviously weren't strong to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancchick

I'm very surprised by the reaction to the Los Angeles visit by some of the members here. To say you're way over generalizing the qualities of an entire city is an understatement. The southern California itinerary includes Santa Barbara which is nowhere near LA (it's even in another County ). They're going to a BAFTA awards show, OK but they are also heading to one of the poorest parts of downtown and assembling care packages for soldiers in Culver City.

Los Angeles is a one of the most diverse cities in the world. Will and Kate should sure as heck visit here. We're not Hollywood and for Los Angeles-based members promoting it as such betrays a great opportunity to show what we're all about.
I'm very surprised myself.
There's so much to LA than Hollywood. This city has a lot to offer. Not everyone is shallow and self-obsessed! I guess people think Will and Kate will be dining with celebrities all day. I love the fact that they're going to see the good parts of the city and the bad. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
but they are also heading to one of the poorest parts of downtown and assembling care packages for soldiers in Culver City.
Keep in mind that the care packages will be assembled at Sony Studios (I do believe) so really should not be said in the same breath with 'poorest parts of downtown' - but it was when I heard this latter bit a few weeks ago that it was that my opinion of 'Wills & Kate' plummeted. They pretty much revealed who they are and what they are about with this bit of grandstanding in a country that is not theirs. In this little bit William is showing what he is about - and I am not impressed. I will watch for the fashion - and the ever present hope that Kate will show some sense about her make-up - but I will not get 'taken in' by any of the 'caring' hype and PR in future, if I ever really believed it to begin with (which perhaps I haven't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
Not everyone is shallow and self-obsessed!
No. But perhaps certain people are who want very much to be seen as 'regular common folks'. Its gonna bite 'em in the tail! For some reason I keep thinking of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor - I'm not sure why.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Gentry

Quote:

Thank you for this comment. I've lived in LA my entire life and we are so much more than just Hollywood. If anything, the Duke and Duchess' visit will highlight that fact.

I'm enjoying following them on this tour. I like Kate's outfits, they are chic and demure for a person in her position. The only complaint I have is I wish she had more color in her wardrobe! It's all navy, cream, gray, etc, with the exception of the purple outfit at the concert. One thing I love about the Queen is all the pretty colors she wears, like the yellow at the wedding.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Serene Highness

Well, well, well...A snarky nasty posting by a certain poster and that poster's gotten the reaction they were looking for. What a shocking surprise.

Guys, don't fall for it. This is *all* this particular poster does in the William and Kate threads. They should remember that oh so true saying of Thumper's from Bambi...

Quote:
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
I'll never understand posters like that.

Okay then. Remember Everyone that the majority of events so far have been in the Eastern Time Zones and Yellowknife isn't. :o) It's just now getting to be mid morning up there and I think the events are all taking place in the afternoon, right?

One more thing...For those who have been using the CBC's Video Player to watch the coverage, right now and for the next couple of hours, the majority of attention of the media in Canada will be in Newmarket, just outside of Toronto, and covering the Police Funeral of York Region Constable Garrett Styles. He was killed in the line of duty last week when he stopped a group of teens who were out joy riding, he somehow got entangled in the van and was dragged, then the van rolled and when all was said and done, he was trapped underneath it. :o(

The driver was only 15 and is now not only now in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, but is now also facing a First Degree Murder charge.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know why there's no coverage of William and Kate's visit to Yellowknife for the next little while if you are using the CBC to follow along w/the Tour.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Well, well, well...A snarky nasty posting by a certain poster and that poster's gotten the reaction they were looking for. What a shocking surprise.

Guys, don't fall for it. This is *all* this particular poster does in the William and Kate threads.
Ok, I was suckered. But it was becoming a chorus of anti-LAdom.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Penelope View Post
I just wish they kept it in the commonwealth for this visit. There will be plenty of time and opportunity to visit outside the realm over the months and years to come. Sorry if this comes off as rude, but that leg of the trip does kinda seem like an afterthought. The addition of the trip to Cali was announced well after the announcement of this tour. I truly hope they enjoy themselves in Cali, but it seems odd to go there on this trip. This was a trip to a country where they will one day be King and Queen of, so from that perspective, yeah, I wish it was just kept to Canada for this trip, as was originally announced. Again, sorry if this came off as rude, no offence intended. Belated Happy 4th to our American friends! Belated Happy Canada Day Canada!! :)
This is a little excessive and a huge generalization of an entire state, and actually, an entire community. Also, to say no one knew William before the wedding is patently false,
Old 07-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Keep in mind that the care packages will be assembled at Sony Studios (I do believe) so really should not be said in the same breath with 'poorest parts of downtown' - but it was when I heard this latter bit a few weeks ago that it was that my opinion of 'Wills & Kate' plummeted. They pretty much revealed who they are and what they are about with this bit of grandstanding in a country that is not theirs. In this little bit William is showing what he is about - and I am not impressed. I will watch for the fashion - and the ever present hope that Kate will show some sense about her make-up - but I will not get 'taken in' by any of the 'caring' hype and PR in future, if I ever really believed it to begin with (which perhaps I haven't).
Yes, the event (which is called Hiring Our Heroes) is being held at Sony Studios, but the actual hosts are Service Nation: Mission Serve and the U.S. and Los Angeles Chambers of Commerce. It's a job fair for veterans - there will be 200 employers and around 1,500 veterans in attendance. There are going to be 100 of these fairs across the country. So this is not some celeb filled, useless event. Not only will William and Kate be putting together care packages, but they will also be meeting veterans and their spouses.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Serene Highness

BAFTA’s President, HRH The Duke of Cambridge, and HRH The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the event as part of their visit to California, helping highlight the incredible depth and range of great British talent currently emerging in film, television and video games.
source: BAFTA To Host Inaugural 'BAFTA Brits to Watch' in Los Angeles

Also, this is a Canadian Tour plus LA. The LA days were added later.

There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.