Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - June 30-July 8, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

agami.pearl

Royal Highness
City
-
Country
Poland
Clarence House confirmed it on Twitter

from the site of Canadian Governor
Royal Tour Announcement

February 16, 2011
His Royal Highness Prince William and Miss Catherine Middleton to Undertake a Royal Tour of Canada

OTTAWA—His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, is pleased to announce that His Royal Highness Prince William and Miss Catherine Middleton have accepted the invitation to undertake a Royal Tour of Canada, extended to them on behalf of the Government of Canada.

The Royal Tour by Prince William and Miss Middleton will include Alberta, the Northwest Territories, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and the National Capital Region. The tour will take place from June 30 to July 8, 2011.

The Royal Tour will be coordinated by Mr. Kevin MacLeod, C.V.O., C.D., Canadian Secretary to The Queen. A detailed itinerary will be published at a later date by the Department of Canadian Heritage.

-30-

Media information:

Marie-Ève Létourneau
Rideau Hall Press Office
613-998-0287
marie-eve.letourneau@gg.ca

Department of Canadian Heritage
Media Relations
819-994-9101
media@pch.gc.ca

Last edited:
Clarence House confirmed it on Twitter

from the site of Canadian Governor

In the 8-9 days they are in Canada, W&C will probably undertake a fair few public engagements. Talk about a gentle introduction to royal duties for Catherine!!

looks like they won't be in my part of the east coast :(

Looks like the closest they'll be to me is Prince Edward Island, which is a few hours' drive. To see them, I'd make the trip. I think that Canada's a good choice for a first trip as a married couple because we're only five hours' flight away, which is fairly close in international terms. Our Parliament buildings look like the ones in London, too. They might feel more at home there than in buildings that look completely different. I'm confident that they'll get a very warm--and polite--welcome.:flowers:

In the 8-9 days they are in Canada, W&C will probably undertake a fair few public engagements. Talk about a gentle introduction to royal duties for Catherine!!

Looks like the closest they'll be to me is Prince Edward Island, which is a few hours' drive. To see them, I'd make the trip. I think that Canada's a good choice for a first trip as a married couple because we're only five hours' flight away, which is fairly close in international terms. Our Parliament buildings look like the ones in London, too. They might feel more at home there than in buildings that look completely different. I'm confident that they'll get a very warm--and polite--welcome.:flowers:

I agree that Canada is a good choice for the first tour for William and Catherine as a married couple. After all, they are the future King and Queen of Canada, and it is important they start to build linkages for themselves directly with the people and organisations.

Personally, I don't like the first trip abroad being to Canada. A tour of the UK would have been nicer.

Personally, I don't like the first trip abroad being to Canada. A tour of the UK would have been nicer.

I am sure they will undertake a number of engagements around the country in the first year, though I doubt a specific "trip around the UK" will be organised. These engagements will need to be balanced with William's commitments at the SAR.

I'm sure they will, but I would prefer it if they did trips in their own country, before going abroad.

I'm sure they will, but I would prefer it if they did trips in their own country, before going abroad.

In time, they will the King and Queen of Canada, just as they will be King and Queen of the UK, so I guess Canada is just as much "their own country". The wedding will be in the UK, and they will be doing a number of engagements in the UK as well, so I don't necessarily feel the UK is being neglected.

oh lala they're coming to Quebec (somewhere in the province) and to Ottawa - so I might be able to see them twice. oh lala

In time, they will the King and Queen of Canada, just as they will be King and Queen of the UK, so I guess Canada is just as much "their own country". The wedding will be in the UK, and they will be doing a number of engagements in the UK as well, so I don't necessarily feel the UK is being neglected.

In time.
At the moment, they live here, the wedding is here and they haven't been out of the London area much.
They're popping up to St Andrews for the simple reason, they went to University there.
What about the rest of the country? Even when married they will spend the majority of their time here, they will do the most engagements here.
It would be nice, IMO, if they visited this country before visiting the commonwealth realms.

SKYNEWS just announced Canada was choose among several countries who offered to the couple to be their first trip abroad. They dont specified which countries it was. On another point, I have always heard regarding the royal families of all countries that they consider that the trip abroad permitted the new royal person to learn more and in a more relax way than when at "home". It's less stress

SKYNEWS just announced Canada was choose among several countries who offered to the couple to be their first trip abroad. They dont specified which countries it was. On another point, I have always heard regarding the royal families of all countries that they consider that the trip abroad permitted the new royal person to learn more and in a more relax way than when at "home". It's less stress

Indeed I actually thought it was almost standard practice in a sense, royal couple get married & fairly shortly after wedding have an official visit to one of the Commonwealth countries (usually one of the major ones). I don't see it as a diss on the UK, or any other commonwealth countries that aren't Canada, it's just what's done in most cases after a royal wedding & actually rather nice to sort of spread the (hopefully) feeling of goodwill towards the RF resulting from the wedding to parts of the commonwealth & make them feel involved etc. Plus since this is a big organisational issue & thus needs to be announced & planned far in advance & what have you, who knows what else they may do in the UK itself between the wedding & going to Canada, as anything in the UK would need much less time to announce & plan etc. They could potentially do all sorts before heading off to Canada so wouldn't be neglecting home anyway.

Who knows, we'll have to wait & see. Personally I'm from the UK & I'm excited for the Canada trip, I don't see it as a diss to the UK at all! :flowers:

I read they are going to Quebec (don't know which city though). I'm just wondering how people will receive them. Last time Charles and Camilla went there, their visit barely generated any interest, not a lot of people came to see them and both Republicans and Separatists showed up. I already kind of feel sorry for William and Kate.

Canada offered to have them visit? Who pays for the trip? Security?

IMO, since the trip will not be at the behest of the UK Foreign Office, the UK government will probably not be paying. Instead I think the Canadian government will cover the local Canadian costs of the trip. The cost of the flights to and from Canada will probably be met by the PoW, who finances the offices of William and Harry. This is just my view, not stated fact.

why would you be shocked at this? i'm from ns and they aren't coming here. they're not going to NL either. nor are they going to the nwt, the yukon or a number of other cities/provinces. not trying to start trouble but it's not really all that shocking. it would be nice if they could stop in all the provinces but it's not possible.:flowers:

Last edited:
In time.
At the moment, they live here, the wedding is here and they haven't been out of the London area much.
They're popping up to St Andrews for the simple reason, they went to University there.
What about the rest of the country? Even when married they will spend the majority of their time here, they will do the most engagements here.
It would be nice, IMO, if they visited this country before visiting the commonwealth realms.

As previosuly stated, I am sure they will carry out a roster of engagements across the kingdom, some of which may well be before the trip to Canada. The trip to Canada was probably announced, as another poster pointed out, because of the logistics and planning involved; engagements in the UK will probably require a lot less forward planning.

Metro - Newlyweds William & Kate to tour Canada

While taxpayers will pay for the tour, Moore said the money has already been set aside as part of the department's regular budget for VIP trips.

"We have a responsibility as a government to make sure things are done in a way that is responsible with taxpayers money. Everybody recognizes that," he said.

"It will done with existing allocation of funds and require no new taxpayer money."

William and Kate have suggested they don't want big bucks spent on their nuptials in an acknowledgment of the dire financial situation in Britain.

Moore said their Canadian tour will also reflect that.

"This will be a respectful visit. Respectful in every context: respectful of a young couple who has just been married, respectful of the heir to the throne, respectful of taxpayers and respectful of audiences who want to have access to show their appreciate and their best wishes for a newly married couple," he said.

Press Conference on CTV from yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iSM9FeCWqM

Last edited:
i find it amazing that people ask "who's going to pay for it...the tax payer?" of course the tax payer is going to pay for it. the tax payer pays for EVERYTHING, where else does the money come from? it is an official visit so why should william and catherine pay for it? they were invited here by the prime minister so of course canada should pay for it. would people rather that we invite them and then tell them "oh by the way...you'll have to foot the bill for this". inspite of the fact that there are many people that don't see a point to the monarchy, HM feels enormous affection for this country and is trying to show that by both visiting here herself and having the future monarch visit as well.

Last edited:
People will always complain about "the taxpayers money" without ever really understanding it. If people really knew where all their tax money went they would be livid but they don't so they channel their frustration on people like the Royal Family. I'm rather excited for this visit, I was planning on going to Canada this summer so might have to make some new plans to include the visit. It would be lovely if they went to Toronto though, I was quite surprised to not see that on the list. I'm getting excited, it looks like we will be seeing a far bit of Kate and Wills after the wedding. With the incoming USA state visit just announced(!!!!I haven't been this excited for a state visit since M. and Madame Sarkozy came!!!) and their visit to Canada we shld get plenty.

Previous Royal visits to Canada have not included visits to every province- the country is simply too big to visit in a few weeks! Usually, they try to visit new places on future trips. I think it is great William and Kate are including smaller communities in this visit- it will give Kate a great view of the contrasts and diversity that makes Canada what it is.

And those of us in British Columbia can be confident that they WILL come here, someday!

why would you be shocked at this? i'm from ns and they aren't coming here. they're not going to NL either. nor are they going to the nwt, the yukon or a number of other cities/provinces. not trying to start trouble but it's not really all that shocking. it would be nice if they could stop in all the provinces but it's not possible.:flowers:
Well no I know but especially considering the early reports of how the trip would go and what parts of Canada it would consist I was kinda shocked when the list was completely opposite. I mean no disrespect to everyone who will get to see them not saying any one part of Canada is more worthy than another but I can't help but be a bit disappointed.

Princejohnny25 said:
People will always complain about "the taxpayers money" without ever really understanding it. If people really knew where all their tax money went they would be livid but they don't so they channel their frustration on people like the Royal Family. I'm rather excited for this visit, I was planning on going to Canada this summer so might have to make some new plans to include the visit. It would be lovely if they went to Toronto though, I was quite surprised to not see that on the list. I'm getting excited, it looks like we will be seeing a far bit of Kate and Wills after the wedding. With the incoming USA state visit just announced(!!!!I haven't been this excited for a state visit since M. and Madame Sarkozy came!!!) and their visit to Canada we shld get plenty.

Wait? Did I miss something? Kate and William are coming to USA ?? I most have missed this announcement

Edit- ok I re read the post, do you mean Obamas coming to England?

Last edited:
People will always complain about "the taxpayers money" without ever really understanding it. If people really knew where all their tax money went they would be livid but they don't so they channel their frustration on people like the Royal Family.

Indeed, many people complaining about tax payer's money I find quite often literally only have that line "but it's our money they're wasting!" as they're entire argument. They've no idea exactly where "their" money has come from, what else it has been spent on by the government, what exactly their money is or is not paying for with regards to royals. It's like a reflex argument with no actual thought..."Argh, they're wasting my money, hate them!" In my view the money spent on the royals in the UK is a pittance compared to money wasted elsewhere, if only everyone were up in arms about that wastage like they are for anything with the royals! Anyway...probably a rant for another thread ;)

Back on topic, how are the planned visit being reported/viewed over in Canada (aside from some upset that they arne't due to visit their city etc). I mean in general, is it being viewed in a positive light, is there excitment already or is it not getting much notice & it'd be a bigger deal nearer the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom