The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
But will they be allowed to?

Their Canadian tour was such a huge success that now there's pressure for them to undertake more royal duties.

It's been said William would like to extend his military service, but it's hard to see how he can with these engagements proliferating like dandelions!

And yet, it's also desirable for William and Kate to build on their current popularity for the future. It's important that their people love them, and how are they supposed to do that if William and Kate are holed up in Wales?

Collective memories are short; they need to make hay while the sun shines!
Perhaps he could extend his military service although not in the same branch. Perhaps Catherine could use her popularity to give voice to military wives and their concerns, working with existing organizations or even creating a new one.

However in all due respects I would assume that they will tone down their appearances just to build on the recent or instant popularity that Catherine has accomplished as a new royal spouse doing so would be a mistake. A mistake that has proven to have a negative impact amongst the BRF. I'm sure a few examples come to mind. I think that both William and his father do not intend to allow Catherine to be put on "display" just as an addition to the popularity of the BRF having learned what damaging effects that kind of action can have despite what the press or BP has to say.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
But will they be allowed to?

Their Canadian tour was such a huge success that now there's pressure for them to undertake more royal duties.

It's been said William would like to extend his military service, but it's hard to see how he can with these engagements proliferating like dandelions!

And yet, it's also desirable for William and Kate to build on their current popularity for the future. It's important that their people love them, and how are they supposed to do that if William and Kate are holed up in Wales?

Collective memories are short; they need to make hay while the sun shines!
Yes I think they will. The Queen certainly has no desire to see 'Diana-mania' ever again. Charles has no desire to see it and I'm quite sure William doesn't. No way after what his mother went thru. I think the Queen is only going to require them to do the minimum.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

MM

Old 07-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Majesty

I'm not able to get full text on this. When I click on 'read more', it takes me to a page that asks for a log in. It does look like an interesting read though (or at least the beginning was). I liked the observations about about William and Catherine. I agree, she's what makes him tick and light up. I think that's why he's able to come out of his shell just a little bit more (and is probably willing to take on more royal duties, since now he doesn't have to do it alone).

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Same thing happened to me but from what I saw in the beginning I thought the observations were great so I thought I'd post anyways.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Aristocracy

Just so you know, registering is free for the site. Here's the whole article anyhow:

=====

During their nine day honeymoon tour of Canada few people spent more quality time with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge than Francois Paulette, a Dene elder and former chief who lives in the tiny community of Fitzgerald on the northern border.

First impressions:

On William: "He's real. He is a man who has genuine interest."

On Catherine: "She is what makes him tick. She is the light for him. I thought she was spiritual."

The royal couple, as a part of their sojourn to the Northwest Territories capital, visited the Dechinta "bush university" at Blachford Lake Lodge just south of Yellowknife. The setting was a pristine lake in the heart of Canada's northern wilderness.

Aftter landing on the lake in a bush plane on floats, Prince William and Catherine taxied to the shore to the site of the school and were greeted.

Meeting the Canadian Rangers

They were then taken to a meeting with the Canadian Rangers. Two Ranger representatives were on hand from each territory, along with commanding officers. The Royals were toured through a display of items the Rangers use while on the land, including clothing made from animal skins. The Duke was presented with a handmade knife by one of the Yukon representatives.

Dechinta "bush university"

The Royals were then taken to Dechinta "bush university" nearby and toured through various displays where students showed their handiwork. That included tasting dry meat that was curing in a smoke tent, looking at a moose hide being tanned the traditional way and seeing other aspects of Aboriginal culture that are being practiced and studied by the students.

The university has regular classes on Aboriginal culture, history and rights, including a visiting professor from the University of Victoria. Francois Paulette is an elder and lecturer to the students. It was his role to be the host and spokesperson to the Royal couple for some of the events.

He said the Royals were impressed with the students, who come from all over Canada, but mainly the NWT, for choosing Dechinta.

"Foremost because it was on the land, surrounded by nature, living off the land. Plus academic studies – native studies and traditional governance. They appreciated that."

The Royals finished their tour at a fire circle and Paulette spoke to them for nearly an hour.

A lesson in Dene History

"My introduction to them reminded them they were on Treaty 8 ceded lands," Paulette said.

"I told them of the history of the Dene and of the spiritual relationship with mother earth. I told them of the sacredness of protecting all life forms, and the ceremonies the Dene have honoring and being at one with Mother Earth."

He said he shared the story of Dene ancestors assisting some of the first British who had come to North America in the construction of Fort Prince of Wales on the Hudson Bay over 300 years ago.

"Their survival, the building of the fort, the creation of the fur trade and even the formation of the Hudson Bay Company were all helped and guided by the Chipewyan Dene."

He told them the story of British explorer Samuel Herne who immersed himself in Dene culture for 18 months in order to survive and was guided to the Arctic Ocean so he could 'discover" it.

"The crown needs to acknowledge this, to be thankful and to honour our people's past, he told the Royals."

Gifts were presented

The Royal couple was given gifts from the students and Paulette assisted in the presentations. These included two hand-made beaded moose-hide bags, two birch bark baskets and a beautiful star blanket - a handmade quilt from the Stanton Hospital Elders Wellness Council. Paulette observed that in the coolness of the evening, Catherine wrapped herself in the blanket to ward off the chill.

Paulette also gave them a copy of the movie "Tipping Point" about the challenges of living downstream of the oilsands, noting that William's father "Prince Charles is in there."

Following the visit with the Dechinta students Paulette took the couple on a canoe trip across the lake to an island where they ate. He said he talked to them and told them stories along the way.

"How would you like to be addressed?"

William and Catherine," the prince replied.

"Should we address you as chief?"

"No, call me Francois."

He said he told them they were in a canoe, a traditional Dene watercraft and they should visualize it as travel the same as was done 300 years ago.

Paulette, who is known as an eloquent and compelling speaker, told them about his concerns and what was important to him.

"I told them how we live in balance, a natural order. That is being threatened each day. The pollution of the air and water is changing the environment, affecting all life forms. "

"They made overtures – especially Catherine – that they recognize the spiritual connection to the land. She in her own way turns to that."

Paulette said he felt a bond was formed with the Royal couple and expects the relationship will continue.

"The visit was an historic event between the British and the Dene," stated Paulette. "They mentioned at the end they would like to come back – in the winter."
Old 07-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Majesty

Thank you for the full text, BritishRoyals!

This was very informative.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks for sharing the article w/us BritishRoyals!!

They were given a Star Blanket/Quilt? Lucky William and Kate. Those are gorgeous, gorgeous things. :o)
Old 07-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Don't remember where I read it maybe Hello Magazine but they also gave them boots and Kate's reply was " omg these are gorgeous I love them" "We'll keep them and treasure them forever" or something to that extent
Old 07-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Has this been posted yet? It's an interview with the photographer. Talks alot about William and Kate and what they're like.
Exclusive Photos: Prince William and Kate Middleton Take North America | Society | Vanity Fair
Old 07-22-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Has this been posted yet? It's an interview with the photographer. Talks alot about William and Kate and what they're like.
Exclusive Photos: Prince William and Kate Middleton Take North America | Society | Vanity Fair
I enjoyed that very much. Thanks for posting!
Old 07-22-2011, 01:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Thank you for your lovely contribution yet again.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Courtier

"Britishroyals" thank you for such an interesting posting. I really enjoyed all this info.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Serene Highness

Tnks for all the great links, everyone!
They help me with the Royal Tour Withdrawn !
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:40 AM

love the links!
thanks
Old 12-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Some great never before seen shots from Christopher Wahl
Royal Tour I : ChristopherWahl
Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Nobility

This one is to die for. Thanks for sharing! Royal Tour I : ChristopherWahl
Old 12-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Nobility