Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - June 30-July 8, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Nike and $80 online.....

Www.whatkatewore.com

It may be a Nike made jacket, but it's also something that Tourism Prince Edward Island obviously ordered from them as part of what they offer to Visitors as a keepsake of their Visit to Canada's Smallest Province. Once the order is shipped and delivered, those jackets are Tourism PEI's to sell.

And as I said, they'd better have prepared a bulk order of those things. They're going to be in great demand now. I'd love one myself. :)

Or was there not a visit to the Anne of Green Gables House? I kept hoping to see Katharine visiting the site of her favorite books, especially when she had her Anne-ish dress on.

Welll....Techinically she did visit Green Gables, as that was the house that was a part of that sand sculpture they saw on the beach. Even though the commentator on CPAC kept saying it was a sand sculpture of Westiminster Abbey they were seeing. :ermm:

I've heard of stubborn commentators sticking to the briefing notes and only the briefing notes, but that was beyond annoying and also rather clueless and embrassing as well to CPAC. That or...Westminster Abbey has really changed since the Wedding... ;)

Meanwhile... back in the UK, I can imagine that there are 4 people that are beaming from ear to ear as they follow William and Kate's Canadian tour. They would be HM, the DoE, Charles and Camilla.

One the most outstanding aspects of this entire tour to me is that both William and Kate did NOT act like they were performing official state duties in going from place to place but more so as a happy couple on a vacation and joining in with the people they meet exploring Canada. They were just as happy to meet the people they did as the people were to meet them. That I think is the pure charisma that is Team Will&Kate. I really don't think either William or Kate know how to put on a facade and when you meet them, what you meet is the real person. This is perhaps why we do see glimpses into how they feel about each other. After all of the years together and keeping what they feel for each other from public view, it must be such a relief to just be able to be who they are and not be afraid to show it.

One time that stood out for me and I really wonder what they were talking about is when William was on walkabout on Canada Day outside the Hall. One person handed William a gift that she had obviously wanted to give to Kate. It was some kind of a circlet-tiara type thing and William held it and scrutinized it and was making comments and obviously asking questions. I will bet my last doughnut that person in the crowd didn't mind one little bit she got William instead of Kate. This alone shows how strong they work together as a team.

And this folks is William and Kate just starting out. They're going to be captivating the world bit by bit.

Ah, yes, everyone's favorite book:

Welll....Techinically she did visit Green Gables, as that was the house that was a part of that sand sculpture they saw on the beach. Even though the commentator on CPAC kept saying it was a sand sculpture of Westiminster Abbey they were seeing. :ermm:

I've heard of stubborn commentators sticking to the briefing notes and only the briefing notes, but that was beyond annoying and also rather clueless and embrassing as well to CPAC. That or...Westminster Abbey has really changed since the Wedding... ;)

Anne of Westminster Abbey....

Thank you to everyone who has posted pics and links. It feels as if I am part of their tour and everyday I look forward to the next instalment. Love the tender moments between them even if it's just a hand on the back, shows the love they have for one another.

People say Dianna would have been so proud of him and yes she would have been but I think Charles has also played a huge role in William being the way he is to his wife. It's hard for me to picture Charles as loving, warm touchy-feely person but then I just have to look at pics of Charles with his sons after Dianna's death and immediately I get a different opinion of Charles.

Kate's outfits have been lovely especially the outfit she wore yesterday on Prince Edward Island. Now if only William will start wearing a suit in a different colour!

Excellent post. Reading the press, and the internet boards, one would come to the conclusion that Charles was a monstrous father and any piece of goodness William has in him is from his mother. Which is quite obviously not the case.

Some screen-shots from PEI...the Premier of the province announced a scholarship in the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's name.

At Province House, birthplace of Canadian Confederation

Last edited:
Excellent post. Reading the press, and the internet boards, one would come to the conclusion that Charles was a monstrous father and any piece of goodness William has in him is from his mother. Which is quite obviously not the case.

Yes, Charles certainly deserves a lot of credit for how they turned out. That they persevered after Diana's death and retained their tenderness is a true testament to Charles, and dare I say, to Camilla for giving him the support he needed to be a loving father.

William & Kate looks great together and very much make a great couple. Seeing them together on such a high watched tour is nice to see them enjoying themselves.

Sorry but I find this visit is becoming pointless already ... and they havent even arrived in celebrity country.

What I like is seeing William being very comfortable travelling with his new wife, they look like a good team.

For me the trip is getting too long and is being dragged on by silly events / holiday activities such as public cooking and boat racing.

I fear the worst when they go to California to rub shoulders with so called celebrities, turning into the Disney couple of royalty.

This is a newly married couple on their first official tour of a country Prince William will one day be King of. His parents' tour was much longer and so were the tours of his grand and great-grandparents. Canada's too big to cover in one small visit so various members of the royal family usually try to visit different regions during each trip. So yeah, if they were visiting a republic, the visit might be too long. But not a nation that's part of their 'realm.' The whole point of these visits is for the royals to meet ordinary Canadians and for them to meet their future monarch.

As for the events, the couple themselves helped choose the activities they participated in. Their chosen theme for the visit is youth and they've focused on that. They've even said that they want people to address them informally, as confirmed by the Queen's Canadian secretary. The couple have deliberately granted people more access to them than, say, the Queen would because the protocol for her is much stricter and she doesn't do a lot of walkabouts. None of this is random or pointless. Each activity and event has been carefully choreographed.

The particular search and rescue exercise that William took part in is unique to Canada and Britain has sent its pilots here to learn the manoeuvre. One of the articles mentioned that William had heard about it from his colleagues at home and wanted to try it. Catherine wanted to visit PEI because of her fondness for Anne of Green Gables.

William and Kate's visit to Quebec was significant because the Queen hasn't been there in several decades and Charles and Camilla weren't well received there. But this young couple was. It was an important exercise in forging a better image of the monarchy in the province.

Last edited:
Humera, thanks for drawing attention to the "special" S&R exercise.
This alone will have a far-reaching and long-lasting effect.

I think HM may have had a hand in helping William to speak French there - her command of French is very good.

To be honest as a onlooker who's only read the rags<for free at downtime as a cashier> and came to TRF for hats at Ascot, its easy to see where Charles would be the bad guy. Its uncanny that the press of so long ago still lingers. One thing Diana never stated in any way, shape or form, is that Charles was anything other than a loving father. They both did a fantastic job loving William and Harry.

Last edited:
Let's not turn this into a discussion on the parenting of William with an off topic turn on who has made a bigger impact - Charles or Diana.

The topic of the thead is the Cambridge Visit to Canada.

Oh how that doesn't shock me at all. :whistling:

I would suggest a talk to the people who own hotels and restaurants in the island before defying the travel as pointless. Never mind the relationship strengthening between Canada and the Monarchy. Anyways, I am really surprised by the amount of events, considering they have been married for not even 3 months. I remember everyone saying to expect the couple to do very few engagements this years, so that Catherine wouldn't fell overwhelm. We can all agree that is not the case , good :)

This day, even if not sartorial wise, has been the best one so far.

This is a newly married couple on their first official tour of a country Prince William will one day be King of. His parents' tour was much longer and so were the tours of his grand and great-grandparents. Canada's too big to cover in one small visit so various members of the royal family usually try to visit different regions during each trip. So yeah, if they were visiting a republic, the visit might be too long. But not a nation that's part of their 'realm.' The whole point of these visits is for the royals to meet ordinary Canadians and for them to meet their future monarch.

As for the events, the couple themselves helped choose the activities they participated in. Their chosen theme for the visit is youth and they've focused on that. They've even said that they want people to address them informally, as confirmed by the Queen's Canadian secretary. The couple have deliberately granted people more access to them than, say, the Queen would because the protocol for her is much stricter and she doesn't do a lot of walkabouts. None of this is random or pointless. Each activity and event has been carefully choreographed.

The particular search and rescue exercise that William took part in is unique to Canada and Britain has sent its pilots here to learn the manoeuvre. One of the articles mentioned that William had heard about it from his colleagues at home and wanted to try it. Catherine wanted to visit PEI because of her fondness for Anne of Green Gables.

William and Kate's visit to Quebec was significant because the Queen hasn't been there in several decades and Charles and Camilla weren't well received there. But this young couple was. It was an important exercise in forging a better image of the monarchy in the province.

You get an Amen here! but I fell 'some' could care less, they just like nitpicking everything, it's their thing ;)

Last edited:
Here's a video of the couple arriving in Yellowknife: CBC.ca Player

Towards the end there were two children waiting to give flowers to Kate, William talked to them for a couple of minutes and held his umbrella over them until Kate finished greeting all the officials. Really sweet of him.
I believe the little girl was cold and that's why William stroked her arm. Towards the end of the clip you can hear a woman offering the girl a sweater.

A couple of screen-shots

Last edited:
Here's a video of the couple arriving in Yellowknife: CBC.ca Player

Towards the end there were two children waiting to give flowers to Kate, William talked to them for a couple of minutes and held his umbrella over them until Kate finished greeting all the officials. Really sweet of him.
I believe the little girl was cold and that's why William stroked her arm. Towards the end of the clip you can hear a woman offering the girl a sweater.

Thanks so much for this link. I've been watching CPAC and CBC here in Canada constantly but missed this arrival.

There's a lovely photo of Catherine looking at the sign mentioning her grandfather here...

Search and Rescue Demonstration at Summerside Harbour / Démonstration d

Meanwhile... back in the UK, I can imagine that there are 4 people that are beaming from ear to ear as they follow William and Kate's Canadian tour. They would be HM, the DoE, Charles and Camilla.

One the most outstanding aspects of this entire tour to me is that both William and Kate did NOT act like they were performing official state duties in going from place to place but more so as a happy couple on a vacation and joining in with the people they meet exploring Canada. They were just as happy to meet the people they did as the people were to meet them. That I think is the pure charisma that is Team Will&Kate. I really don't think either William or Kate know how to put on a facade and when you meet them, what you meet is the real person. This is perhaps why we do see glimpses into how they feel about each other. After all of the years together and keeping what they feel for each other from public view, it must be such a relief to just be able to be who they are and not be afraid to show it.

One time that stood out for me and I really wonder what they were talking about is when William was on walkabout on Canada Day outside the Hall. One person handed William a gift that she had obviously wanted to give to Kate. It was some kind of a circlet-tiara type thing and William held it and scrutinized it and was making comments and obviously asking questions. I will bet my last doughnut that person in the crowd didn't mind one little bit she got William instead of Kate. This alone shows how strong they work together as a team.

And this folks is William and Kate just starting out. They're going to be captivating the world bit by bit.

You said that very eloquently :flowers:! I think this team is doing their country and family very proud. Heck, they make me proud, and I'm not even British (go figure) :lol:.

I love the 'what you say and what you get' aspect of the tour/couple. I'm a big believer in being oneself regardless of situation, and they're doing that rather well. I can't wait to see/read more.

I have to say that one of my favourite little moments was one captured by CTV yesterday (not sure if CBC got it as well) at the beach clambake when the Duke of Cambridge asked the chef preparing the lobster what they called a particular part of the crustacean in Prince Edward Island. The Chef's response and the Duke and Duchess' reaction to what he said was priceless!

bweir said:
I have to say that one of my favourite little moments was one captured by CTV yesterday (not sure if CBC got it as well) at the beach clambake when the Duke of Cambridge asked the chef preparing the lobster what they called a particular part of the crustacean in Prince Edward Island. The Chef's response and the Duke and Duchess' reaction to what he said was priceless!

What was the Chef's response and their reaction?

What was the Chef's response and their reaction?

"Well, Sir, here in Prince Edward Island we... we call that sh*t!" - Chef

TRH's guffaws afterwards spoke volumes. lol

Evidently the Duke of Cambridge is not well versed in preparing lobsters. ;)

"Well, Sir, here in Prince Edward Island we... we call that sh*t!" - Chef

TRH's guffaws afterwards spoke volumes. lol

Evidently the Duke of Cambridge is not well versed in preparing lobsters. ;)
:ROFLMAO: Oh goodness! I'm amused (then again, when one is sitting and waiting to hear if she'll be serving on a jury and not having gotten much sleep the night before, it's not very shocking...almost everything becomes amusing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom