Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - June 30-July 8, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they love Canada as much as I do. My most favorite place to stay is Niagara-on-the Lake, Ontario. I go there whenever I can. Love the black squirrels! Oh, Canada!

Vancouver is such a lovely place, I am very surprised it is not on the itinerary.

Indeed, many people complaining about tax payer's money I find quite often literally only have that line "but it's our money they're wasting!" as they're entire argument. They've no idea exactly where "their" money has come from, what else it has been spent on by the government, what exactly their money is or is not paying for with regards to royals. It's like a reflex argument with no actual thought..."Argh, they're wasting my money, hate them!" In my view the money spent on the royals in the UK is a pittance compared to money wasted elsewhere, if only everyone were up in arms about that wastage like they are for anything with the royals! Anyway...probably a rant for another thread ;)

Back on topic, how are the planned visit being reported/viewed over in Canada (aside from some upset that they arne't due to visit their city etc). I mean in general, is it being viewed in a positive light, is there excitment already or is it not getting much notice & it'd be a bigger deal nearer the time.

Watched Global last night they went to the people on the street and IMO from the short clip I saw not too many seemed thrilled. They seemed to care more about how much the trip would cost. Hopefully that's not the vibe throughout the whole country.

You know, I've never visited my youngest nephew in Ottawa before. Wonder if he'd mind company for Canada Day? :D

Why am I not surprised the media are acting like this is some horrible thing they're not going to Toronto. Part of the reason no one really knows that Charles and Diana came to Sudbury in 1991, is because it wasn't just a visit by them. It was also the Official Welcome to both Canada and The Province of Ontario. Not just a normal visit to Sudbury of TRH and the Toronto Media were more than just a bit nasty in their reaction to that happening in, and I quote...

A hick backwards Northern Ontario Mining Town that isn't even close to being a proper place to officially welcome Their Royal Highnesses.

Which, of course, not only insulted the entire Region to such a degree, but the City Council was even going forward w/Libel and Slander Suits against certain newspapers for their venomous treatment of both Sudbury and Northeastern Ontario during that period of time. They were settled out of court in the end, but it's an example of what can happen when the Toronto (Centre of the Universe in Canada) Media thinks they're being "snubbed" when it comes to something big, like this Tour will be.

So the reaction doesn't surprise me at all. I'm not surprised they're not going to BC this time either, because William's last visit to Canada *was* to BC. Of course that wasn't an official visit, but it was still a visit. It wouldn't surprise me if that came into the consideration of where, when the Tour takes place, TRH would visit in a few months. :)

Just my $0.02 Cdn!! :)

Last edited:
I just hope I don't have to wait a long time to see them. I heard William enjoyed the skiing over here last time. To William: any time you and Kate feel like going skiing your welcome to come over here :D hehe

I will see if I can find any of Diana doing the same when she first visited Canada.

After asking myself the same question, I pulled out a book of Charles and Diana's visit to Canada in 1983 (Diana's first) and was surprised to discover that the tiaras came out 5 times:

Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara with cream gown in Ottawa
Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara with yellow gown
Spencer tiara with aqua gown in St. John, NB
Spencer Tiara with red gown in Edmonton
Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara with a bright pink dress in Ottawa. I have pictures of this in a book but cannot find any online. The same dress was worn in Australia (but with the Spencer tiara) also in 1983

If there are any state dinners during Kate and William's upcoming visit (which is very likely, as they are visiting the national capital), I think we can expect to see a tiara or two as well!

i find it amazing that people ask "who's going to pay for it...the tax payer?" of course the tax payer is going to pay for it. the tax payer pays for EVERYTHING, where else does the money come from? it is an official visit so why should william and catherine pay for it? they were invited here by the prime minister so of course canada should pay for it. would people rather that we invite them and then tell them "oh by the way...you'll have to foot the bill for this". inspite of the fact that there are many people that don't see a point to the monarchy, HM feels enormous affection for this country and is trying to show that by both visiting here herself and having the future monarch visit as well.

Hm! I think this is directed at me since I asked who is paying for the trip; however, I did not say "the taxpayer". That was in a reply to me. I wanted to know if it was official and what about security (my vote is for the Mounties in full uniform to be there every minute... not because I want to see them but to protect Prince William & Kate... really.... ).

It will irk many people who are unimpressed with royalty that is just common sense. It's not like Canada took a vote about whether to invite them, or not. Harper relays the invite but where it actually comes from I am not sure.

I obviously (since I am on this board) enjoy royalty but not everybody shares this or sees the value of a royal visit. We don't know for certain if Prince William will be the future monarch yet as he is behind his father in the line of succession. History teaches us many things happen to change that.

If Prince William though wants to really cut down on things because of the economy, I haven't seen it yet.

It would be interesting to see Prince William as the Stampede Parade marshall! I'm sure at least he will be "white hatted" and possibly be given a native name as his father was.

I saw the Queen and Prince Philip in person in Canada and am very happy that I did :). Perhaps there will be some royalty converts in the crowds who see Prince William. Seeing them in person rather than just in the press is quite refreshing.

Last edited:
Interesting blog by Judy Wade. Since she has an experience traveling and writing about the BRF...I don't think she is being snippy, or saying that Kate isn't up for the job. Just another example that being "on" all the time, isn't an easy task.

----------------------------

I wonder if Kate, sorry Catherine, Middleton has the faintest idea how tough her first royal tour will be.

When newlywed William and his wife fly off to Canada at the end of June, the new Princess will have experienced only a handful of official royal engagements here at home. To date she has done one evening job in Norfolk just before Christmas and has two more lined up this week in remote Anglesey and St.Andrews.

Canada, here she comes... - Wedding fever

Interesting blog by Judy Wade. Since she has an experience traveling and writing about the BRF...I don't think she is being snippy, or saying that Kate isn't up for the job. Just another example that being "on" all the time, isn't an easy task.

----------------------------

I wonder if Kate, sorry Catherine, Middleton has the faintest idea how tough her first royal tour will be.

When newlywed William and his wife fly off to Canada at the end of June, the new Princess will have experienced only a handful of official royal engagements here at home. To date she has done one evening job in Norfolk just before Christmas and has two more lined up this week in remote Anglesey and St.Andrews.

Canada, here she comes... - Wedding fever

I have to agree here. I think this Canada trip isn't a wise a idea. Catherine/Kate ought to do official trips in the UK, just like Diana did when she first married. I wonder if the new Princess would like tired and strained after a few days. If she doesn't, hats off to her and she proved the naysayers wrong on her not being up to the job as a royal.

I have to agree here. I think this Canada trip isn't a wise a idea. Catherine/Kate ought to do official trips in the UK, just like Diana did when she first married.

Thank God, someone who thinks the same as I. Minus the Diana bit. :flowers:

I definitely think she neds to start her royal life in this way. The life in private and so on will be over for her on the day she marries and so she had better get started. Offical life will and should be an immediate part of their life as a couple. IMO

I think it will be fine to go to Canada this summer. After Ms Middleton experience her wedding to me all the rest will be easier. Can you imagine how many people will be watching her and Prince William that day. To me that is her christening to royal life.:flowers:

I have to agree here. I think this Canada trip isn't a wise a idea. Catherine/Kate ought to do official trips in the UK, just like Diana did when she first married. I wonder if the new Princess would like tired and strained after a few days. If she doesn't, hats off to her and she proved the naysayers wrong on her not being up to the job as a royal.

I don't think she "ought" to do anything in regard to which country to visit/tour first.

I agree with your last sentence.

Who says she isn't going to do any events in the UK before she hops off to Canada?

The fact is there is enough time between her wedding and her Canada trip for her to meet and greet the UK. In fact, she will be meeting and greeting the people of the UK for the rest of her married (and one assumes natural) life.

For several years now, a member of the BRF has done the Canada trip around Canada's National Day. Camilla and Charles have already gone within the two to three years, as has Edward and Sohpie. The Queen and Phillip are getting older so they don't do as many overseas trips in a single year as they used to do. And frankly, although I love Andrew and Anne....I don't they would get as much press.

To me it makes perfect sense to strike while the iron is out, and why not let it be Catherine and William, and let's face it (with no disrespect to my Australian friends)...Canada is a lot closer, therefore the trip will be more cost effective, and while they defnitely have a republican contingent...they will most likely be less vocal than the Australian's. William and Catherine have to sell or strengthen the ties of the British Monarchy to Canada.

It is going to be a bit of a baptism of fire for both of them - William has not done something like this before either. But that is what is in store for them for the rest of their lives and they have to 'learn' somewhere. Canada is a friendly country, of which his grandmother is Queen, and hopefully officials will help them along. Personally, I am looking forward to it! :)

It is going to be a bit of a baptism of fire for both of them - William has not done something like this before either. But that is what is in store for them for the rest of their lives and they have to 'learn' somewhere. Canada is a friendly country, of which his grandmother is Queen, and hopefully officials will help them along. Personally, I am looking forward to it! :)

William did do the brief tour in Australia...and he has done a lot of engagements on his own. I think they both will be fine.

I agree, Canada is probably the best country for them to start with. It is a (largely) friendly country, and is suitable important to the BRF - important for the first trip together as working royals.

William has alreaddy been to Australia recently, and it will be important for him and Catherine to visit down under soon.

Immediately after their engagement was announced, William and Catherine were officially invited to visit Canada by Prime Minister Harper (article from November: Harper invites William and Kate to visit Canada). I think it was the first such invitation the couple received and it was nice of them to accept so promptly. So the visit wasn't a random selection, nor is it a slight to anyone either in the UK or in the Commonwealth.
I'm sure all aspects were considered by the BRF before the dates were announced; I should assume they're quite the experts at planning this sort of thing by now.
Plus the visit doesn't begin for at least 2 months after the wedding.
The fact that it coincides with Canada Day is also a plus and very likely deliberate (various members of the royal family have attended Canada's birthday celebrations since the early part of the 20th century; eg. Princes Edward and George visited in 1927)

I agree, Canada is probably the best country for them to start with. It is a (largely) friendly country, and is suitable important to the BRF - important for the first trip together as working royals.

Another point to add- there is very little tabloid journalism in Canada- certainly nothing compared to England or the US. Catherine's visit will certainly make front page news but not in the over-sensationalized way that occurs in the tabloid media. The other thing is that Canadians are pretty low key and polite about these things. If she wears an ugly dress or makes a mistake, few here would take great offence.

I think that many people will come out to see them and offer sincere welcome. That makes it a great place for Kate's first tour.

One more thing to add...

I love how some are saying Kate needs to do what Diana did and spend the first year getting to know the UK. One small problem w/saying that. From what I've read over the years, that first overseas visit to Australia was actually supposed to happen the Spring/Summer of 1982. The birth of a certain Prince ended up taking place instead, so the Aussie/New Zealand tour ended up needing to be pushed back.

If she hadn't become pregnant w/William, Diana would have experienced her first overseas tour far sooner than she did. All of the new Royal Brides have to do it at some point and I just don't get why some are up in arms over all of this.

Yes, I agree. I can't even think of a home-grown celebrity/gossip magazine, come to think of it. We seem to depend more on American magazines like People and US and all the other ones.There's Hello! Canada, but the coverage there isn't nasty. And there's E! Canada as well. But I'd say that a lot of our tabloid coverage is imported.

Another point to add- there is very little tabloid journalism in Canada- certainly nothing compared to England or the US.

If she hadn't become pregnant w/William, Diana would have experienced her first overseas tour far sooner than she did. All of the new Royal Brides have to do it at some point and I just don't get why some are up in arms over all of this.

OK, I stand corrected. :)

Amazingly Prime Minister Harper didn't remove the Montreal and Quebec City portions of the trip even after the province didn't vote for him on May 2nd. I was afraid he would do that as he has not yet shown up a minute to visit the Monteregie people who have been flooded for over 6 weeks (but found time to visit an obscur village in Greece where the gradpa of one of his aid lived).

*whimper*

GBS is my favourite band and I've never seen them live. EVER!!

I am so jealous of William and Catherine right now.

Oh and for those wondering...Maria Aragon is a little girl from Winnipeg who had a video of her singing Lady Gaga's Born This Way on YouTube. It went viral, Lady Gaga saw it and then invited Maria and her parents to her Toronto show and to also join her on stage to sing it w/her.

That lil adorable munckin's having quite the year. :eek:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom