Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of New Zealand - April 7-16, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, so far for me this tour has been almost a total bust. The 'Duke' in the thread topic has only really been seen on arrival and at the official welcoming. Since then we have seen he and his wife lay a wreath. Apart from that it has been the Duchess and Prince George dog and pony show.

While I admit the TV 3 camerapersons seemed to have been inhaling Catherines hairspray and sort of losing the plot, TV 1 was almost a no-show. To be honest so far it has been an almost creepy replay of William's first visit to NZ . . . Catherine teetering down the steps with George, Catherine walking round at the Plunket do carrying George. Where is William . . . relegated to carrying the baby bag?

And, without George, William disappears almost completely, drowned out by "over here Kate" etc. ad nauseum.

Well, so far for me this tour has been almost a total bust. The 'Duke' in the thread topic has only really been seen on arrival and at the official welcoming. Since then we have seen he and his wife lay a wreath. Apart from that it has been the Duchess and Prince George dog and pony show.

While I admit the TV 3 camerapersons seemed to have been inhaling Catherines hairspray and sort of losing the plot, TV 1 was almost a no-show. To be honest so far it has been an almost creepy replay of William's first visit to NZ . . . Catherine teetering down the steps with George, Catherine walking round at the Plunket do carrying George. Where is William . . . relegated to carrying the baby bag?

And, without George, William disappears almost completely, drowned out by "over here Kate" etc. ad nauseum.

And you're surprised by this?

William & Kate leave Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre RT @bloggeratlarge pic.twitter.com/UT9jGYNjt4
Prince William climbed into one of the planes in Omaka #RoyalVisitNZ pic.twitter.com/vRLQAcNxBX
Looks like fun! Prince William on an RAF Sopwith Pup as Kate smiles on #RoyalVisitNZ #9News pic.twitter.com/EVHuMI8K2V

William plumped for an RAF Sopwith Pup instead of the German biplane pic.twitter.com/r7b90VR8O5
Another pic of the Cambridges at Omaka Aviation Centre. William must love this visit #RoyalVisitNZ pic.twitter.com/arjmOAsDXU

Its only the beginning of the tour and they've got a ways to go yet but I see what you mean by William almost disappearing. Although it wasn't, the Plunket playdate reminded me of a "Mommy and Me" thing and there was William in the background chatting away. I think some of it might have to do with George's teething (I believe I read he's got 2 in and 5 more erupting) and Mommy's the comfort zone.

William & Kate leave Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre RT @bloggeratlarge pic.twitter.com/UT9jGYNjt4
Prince William climbed into one of the planes in Omaka #RoyalVisitNZ pic.twitter.com/vRLQAcNxBX
Looks like fun! Prince William on an RAF Sopwith Pup as Kate smiles on #RoyalVisitNZ #9News pic.twitter.com/EVHuMI8K2V

William plumped for an RAF Sopwith Pup instead of the German biplane pic.twitter.com/r7b90VR8O5
Another pic of the Cambridges at Omaka Aviation Centre. William must love this visit #RoyalVisitNZ pic.twitter.com/arjmOAsDXU

Better not let Snoopy see William in that Sopwith or...I'm just sayin.

;) :D ;)

Video:
Royals pay a flying visit to Sir Peter-
Royals pay a flying visit to Sir Peter - Story - NZ News - 3 News

What's up next for the Royals-
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will have a break from the public eye for a few hours as they prepare for this evening's state reception at Government House.

They will meet with Prime Minister John Key, David Cunliffe and other dignitaries at around 5.10pm. A portrait of the Queen will be revealed.

We'll continue to bring you all the coverage as the Royal Visit to NZ charges on.

- Nicky Park, Life & Style Editor
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11232364

Last edited:
Video:
Royals pay a flying visit to Sir Peter-
Royals pay a flying visit to Sir Peter - Story - NZ News - 3 News

What's up next for the Royals-
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will have a break from the public eye for a few hours as they prepare for this evening's state reception at Government House.

They will meet with Prime Minister John Key, David Cunliffe and other dignitaries at around 5.10pm. A portrait of the Queen will be revealed.

We'll continue to bring you all the coverage as the Royal Visit to NZ charges on.

- Nicky Park, Life & Style Editor
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11232364

Is anyone else having playback problems at this site? Frustrating!!

Is anyone else having playback problems at this site? Frustrating!!

Really loved Catherines outfit today she looks lovely in that shade of blue and her hairstyle really suited her in that style of ponytail.
They look like they are enjoying themselves. Will getting into that plan was hilarious with his long legs :lol:

Very much focused on William in that one...I think it's normal to expect anytime Kate and George are present the focus is going to be on them, just like it was on Diana when she had William (or Harry) along.

LaRae

When it comes to media coverage attractive women and children will always get more attention than men, even if the man involved happens to be a prince. Similar to what Charles and Diana experienced, yes, but I can also think of several examples more recently with other royal couples. One that comes to mind is Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, especially when they've gone back to Australia. Luckily, both William and Frederik seem mature and secure enough to take the relative lack of attention in stride.

Personally, I would much rather be in William's position of at least being able to fade into the background a bit rather than having my every move scrutinized unrelentingly like Kate.

The State Reception for the Royal Couple is at Government House tonight. Follow this channel for photos and video! pic.twitter.com/ZMBQPyOdgz
— Governor-General NZ (@GovGeneralNZ) April 10, 2014

State Reception: Not long now-
Things are heating up again at hashtag RoyalVisitNZ. The Duke and Duchess are due to arrive at Government House at 5.10pm. We can't wait to see what Kate will be wearing for this formal event. Will she pick a Kiwi designer? Stay with us as we continue to bring you all the pomp from the ceremony and the first look at a portrait of the Queen which will be unveiled around 6.30pm.

Nicky Park, Life & Style Editor
Royal Visit NZ: Live Blog - National - NZ Herald News

Last edited:
"A Glittering Cocktail Event".

"Moments away"..."The most formal event in New Zealand" for the Duke and Duchess..."The most dressed-up event".

Hopefully Australia will get some live footage - the evening news shows are starting.

Photos and video being broadcast of Prince William sitting and talking with New Zealand's Prime Minister, and looking at what may be the official gifts, and the Opposition Leader. This happened earlier this afternoon.

Dark in Wellington already with the lights on and everything looks wet.

Must be cold as the reporter is rugged up in coat and scarf.

A few comments from Peter Jackson - would have liked to have some helicopters to show Prince William - and he was wearing the official pin of the Royal Tour on his jacket lapel.

Comments from the Blenheim event include a mother saying her child sneezed on the Duchess.

Reports a third of the township turned out to see today's event in Blenheim.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

P.S. C also wearing a friendship bracelet from a member of the crowd.

Last edited:
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 8m
The Duchess of Cambridge is wearing a black Jenny Packham bespoke dress with fern hand stitched beading at a State reception in Wellington

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 9m
The Duchess of Cambridge paid tribute to her royal tour hosts tonight as she dazzled in an evening dress embroidered with silver ferns.

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 20m
New portrait of the Queen unveiled by Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in New Zealand #RoyalVisitNZ via @bbc5live https://twitter.com/bbc5live/status/454147278572232704/photo/1

ARRIVAL - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmg1zTM8xuI&feature=youtu.be&ac

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 16s
The Duke and Duchess have arrived for the State Reception at Government House. #RoyalVisitNZ (via @ONENewsNZ) https://twitter.com/ONENewsNZ/status/454153184169058304/photo/1

Last edited:
Catherine in Black Dress With Fern Detail.

Footage of the Duke and Duchess now "live" - news presenter has broken in and crossed to reports of the evening event in Wellington.

The Duchess is wearing a long-sleeved black dress with a boat neckline and silver beaded fern-like detail across the left shoulder - front, back and down the arm. (Being reported as hand-stitched.)

She is carrying a small dark clutch and wearing dark heels - and has a diamond - ? - bracelet on her left wrist.

Hair loose with the ends curled

The Duke is in a blue suit.

Footage of them walking down the staircase inside Wellington's Government House.

The Reception is being held in the Ballroom and will be attended by sports and arts stars.

Last edited:
Oz TV Broadcasting W & C Meeting The Reception Line...

...and will cross again for the Duke's speech.

Now 5.30pm Oz time, and another break to broadcast Prince William's speech - which he started in Maori.

He said - "I hope that George doesn't keep you up" to the Governor, and "he's been known to be particularly vocal at 3.00am".

Prince William swears he "heard him doing the Haka this morning".

Cheers, Sun Lion.

P.S. Close-ups being broadcast, including C's shoes!

PP.S. Footage now of the Duchess standing next to the unveiled portrait of Her Majesty.

Last edited:
Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 59s
The Governor General made a warm speech tonight welcoming the royal couple to NZ but admitted that 'the prestige goes to Prince George.'

Carolyn Durand ‏@CarolynDurand 7m
Dining with Will and Kate: delicacies Include Oysters, Braised Lamb tarts, Paua fritters, dressed crab toasts, risotto balls, rabbit pies

And it was a perfectly valid one. The other fathers were holding their children and interacting with them and not leaving it solely to the mothers, and I would have liked to see William doing that, too.

Have we seen William holding George at all on this trip? He always seems to be in Kate's arms but I would have expected George to be as comfortable in his father's arms as in his mother's and I would like to see William holding him.

No we haven´t although this trip is already lasting unimaginable two days!!! And the Prince didn´t manage to hold his son in front of the public... How could he dare to do so only behind closed doors so far?! And all that despite your personal wishes!
And you can repeat a 1000 times what you´d like to see, but the couple will still do as THEY like and wish to. Shame on them for not listening to you....

Last edited:
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 26s
Prince William tells guests: "I hope that George doesn’t keep you up. He's at his most vocal at 3am, as you may have noticed."

Governor-General NZ ‏@GovGeneralNZ 24m
The Duke and Duchess at the State Reception #RoyalVisitNZ https://twitter.com/GovGeneralNZ/status/454155039536201728/photo/1

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 44s
William said:Rau rangatira mā o Aotearoa,Tēnā koutou katoa.
Translated: Distinguished people of New Zealand, greetings to you all

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 2m
William adds of his son: He's a bonny lad and you'll be pleased to know that he's currently preparing for life as a prop forward!

Last edited:
Duke & Duchess of Cambridge: Trip to NZ and Australia, April 7-25 2014

You can tell that William was enjoying himself with all the planes. It was like when they went to the WB Harry Potter Studio and the Bat Bike.

I thought the dinner would be long gown not a cocktail dress, nevertheless she looks good.
The daytime event seemed like they had a great time. William looked like he had so much fun on the plane.

Do we know if there was a huge turnout of crowds?

Prince William and Kate Middleton attend state reception at Government House with New Zealand's Prime Minister
Hellomagazine.com

Kate joins the All Blacks: Duchess of Cambridge wears breathtaking gown embroidered with silver ferns for evening reception in New Zealand
dailymail.co.uk

I thought the dinner would be long gown not a cocktail dress, nevertheless she looks good.
The daytime event seemed like they had a great time. William looked like he had so much fun on the plane.

Do we know if there was a huge turnout of crowds?

Prince William and Kate Middleton attend state reception at Government House with New Zealand's Prime Minister
Hellomagazine.com

Kate joins the All Blacks: Duchess of Cambridge wears breathtaking gown embroidered with silver ferns for evening reception in New Zealand
dailymail.co.uk

Australian television news reported a third of the town attended the wreath-laying event dazzling.

Royal reporters on twitter said some people camped out overnight to get a spot, and also reported seeing people giving up and leaving as the crowds were too big for them to get anywhere near the Duke and Duchess.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Australian television news reported a third of the town attended the wreath-laying event dazzling.

Royal reporters on twitter said some people camped out overnight to get a spot, and also reported seeing people giving up and leaving as the crowds were too big for them to get anywhere near the Duke and Duchess.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

So much for all those posters suggesting that the trip was unlikely to attract much local interest!

Yes dazzling and muriel - and that was only at the wreath-laying event.

There was another group at the air museum.

I've just seen some more Oz TV reports - they showed the little baby sneezing on the Duchess.

She got a suprise, jumped back, and said "Oh!".

Another reporter in the town said it was already known which side the Duke, and which side the Duchess, would walk down - in the park.

She pointed out the crowds were bigger waiting on the side the Duchess was expected on.

All the reporters are saying that tomorrow W and C will actually pick their own team for the yacht race across Auckland Harbour - and that they will be out and about on the waterfront meeting the public, and doing this race, for a couple of hours, so lots of time for people to see them.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
Y

All the reporters are saying that tomorrow W and C will actually pick their own team for the yacht race across Auckland Harbour - and that they will be out and about on the waterfront meeting the public, and doing this race, for a couple of hours, so lots of time for people to see them.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

This would be such a fun event. One of the articles I was reading earlier mentioned that William said he can't wait to race against Kate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom