Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of New Zealand - April 7-16, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Nowhere do I see people here preferring Kate to drop the baby to cover her legs. That's taking other people's valid criticism way out to left field and exaggerating to negate their point. Perhaps William should have held George if she had to control her flying skirt while descending those steep stairs in those tall heels and intermittently releasing the rail; that would have been the easiest and safest solution for Dad to carry his squirming baby while Kate got a grip on her wardrobe.

And if William had to keep his hands free for "meet and greet" handshakes, he could have returned George to his mother at the foot of the stairs. I'm sure the dignitaries would have been more than pleased to wait for a minute or two.

Last edited:
I think it's rather clever to have the rest day now. I see they had the Irish State Visit in mind. They don't wan't to compete for headlines. :flowers:

I think it's rather clever to have the rest day now. I see they had the Irish State Visit in mind. They don't wan't to compete for headlines. :flowers:

I know what's going to be the headlines when I wake up wednesday morning Irish State Banquet vs George and Catherine's first engagement down under? :whistling::whistling:

The baby group is in the afternoon on Apr 9. If it at 2 PM, it would be 3AM in London. It won't make the print edition of the UK papers but it would with the morning shows and online versions since it can be updated quicker than the print.

I wonder if it is a requirement that William's hands be free for the "Royal Meet n Greet", and that prevented him from carrying George down the steps. George looked like he was ready to do some greeting of his own, he's adorable.
Babies have very strong opinion who should carry them. It's obvious that George prefers Kate. Cambridges did all to keep George in a good mood during welcome ceremony in airport.

Last edited:
The baby group is in the afternoon on Apr 9. If it at 2 PM, it would be 3AM in London. It won't make the print edition of the UK papers but it would with the morning shows and online versions since it can be updated quicker than the print.

And whilst I imagine, that possibly, just, although part of me doubts it, that more people buy an actual paper than read online, a lot of people who use iphones, ipads, smart phones, android phones, tablets, computers and even watch TV first thing they're going to see Catherine and George and not the historic Irish State Visit.

Super super super bad timing on someone's part.

Babies have very strong opinion who should carry them. It's obvious that George prefers Kate. Cambridges did all to keep George in a good mood during welcome ceremony in airport.

I disagree, all babies are different and it's certainly not obvious that George prefers Catherine to hold him than William. Unless you know something I don't.

...George really does seem like he's very much a happy-go-lucky outgoing kid and he's ready, willing and able to take on the world. It will be very amusing to watch his reaction to various things during the tour as his natural curiosity about everything around him is setting in.
Just had a particularly nasty go round w/Mom, yet again, over her not wanting to help me w/my Gluten Free Diet (I was diagnosed last year) and to say the excuses are mind boggling is an understatement. So I badly was in need of a laugh and thanks Osipi for giving it to me. W/out a doubt the best typo I've seen in a long time!! :D

Sigh...I see the stupidity over the dress is on going. Zonk's right. This going to be a long three weeks around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Super super super bad timing on someone's part.
All of this was taken into account. The fact is that everyone knew the state visit and the trip to NZ overlapped - there isnt a someone to blame.

Why would that be the only alternative? What about a more clinging skirt or dress underneath her coat?

I like Kate but I agree with those who say she doesn't seem to learn from her mistakes.

I think you see them as mistakes. I think she sees them as her own fashion choice.

Willful women are such a problem to some people. I like willful women. I think we all need to be comfortable in our own skin. Good for her!

An idea for a new thread...

Please discuss Catherine's skirt here:

That way the other discussions won't get cluttered up, and the like-minded Catherine criticizers can natter amongst themselves.

Sigh...I see the stupidity over the dress is on going. Zonk's right. This going to be a long three weeks around here.

We just have to make through until Wednesday then there are engagements every day until the next off day after Easter.

To be honest, how interested are people in any in-coming state visit in the UK? As nice a man as the Irish president is, 99.9% of people in the UK couldn't name him if asked. Apart from when, say, the US president is visiting, there's not much interest in state visits. There'll be a few articles with carriages and tiaras on the night of the banquet, but even that is pretty sparse.

I get that there's an element of historical import in the Irish visit (I'm originally from Northern Ireland myself, so I know all about it), but is it enough to really capture the imagination of the UK public? I wouldn't have thought so. I don't think William and Kate being on tour makes much difference to that.

All of this was taken into account. The fact is that everyone knew the state visit and the trip to NZ overlapped - there isnt a someone to blame.

Well actually there probably is, the Irish State Visit and this tour shouldn't have overlapped. Whichever invite came second should have been postponed for at least a month.

I can't imagine this kind of date timing information gets lost in the post.

Well actually there probably is, the Irish State Visit and this tour shouldn't have overlapped. Whichever invite came second should have been postponed for at least a month.

I can't imagine this kind of date timing information gets lost in the post.

Lumutqueen - so who do we be-head?

Notwithstanding the prospect of another pointless digression into who should be beheaded, a reminder that this thread is about the Cambridge tour.
Further discussion of the timing of the Irish visit should be done elsewhere.

thanks

Warren
British Forums moderator

The tour is just over 24 hours old and we are already nearing page 22.
It's going to be a long haul. :online2lo

Me being me, and having had a baby, I would think they would have known about the blustery/cold weather ahead of time and at least had a blanket to cover that poor baby's legs. Of course, if it was me, my baby would have also had a hat on, as well as a blanket to cover him. As for her dress/coat, love the outfit, HATE all those buttons. And as for the hoopla regarding her skirt blowing up, she showed her knees! big wow. sheesh! to much ado about nothing.

By the look on her face upon stepping out from the plane, she looked really surprised at how cold and windy it really was. I think George's legs looked a bit "mottly" from the cold, but until you have really experienced Wellington, you don't really know these things. Also I would imagine her shoes would have been slightly wet from the damp ground after their Maori welcome.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will be visiting Cambridge in NZ Cambridge was named after the Duke of Cambridge, Commander in Chief of the British Army in 1864, and it was established as a frontier town after the New Zealand Wars in the Waikato came to an end.

Today the Cambridge's have a day off in a secret location. They will certainly need a rest and time to adjust to the time difference after a 27 hr flight - although England is only 9 1/2 hrs behind Australia and 11 1/2 hrs behind NZ.

Me being me, and having had a baby, I would think they would have known about the blustery/cold weather ahead of time...
Apparently it was 19 degrees C in Wellington at the time, which is 66F. In our part of the world, that's the sort of temperature we'd get on a nice summer's day.

Kare had enough of a challenge getting down those steps, worrying about her hat, her dress lifting in the wind, the wet steps, and George trying to launch himself down the steps on his own without adding in a blanket and a hat for George.

He was outside for maybe 2 minutes max. I think he was ok.

If George was all bundled up, everybody would be complaining because we can't see him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom