The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-15-2014, 03:30 AM
Serene Highness

[QUOTE=Frelinghighness;1656976]I thought nobody cared and nobody was going to show up

What makes you think so? I always wonder how people could misjudge the popularity of the couple that much (unless, may be, you´re not into Royalty)!
The greatest misjudgemt in that respect was the Queen´s Golden, not Diamond, Jubilee in 2002. Beforehand the media stated "nobody shows up". But what a huge success it turned out, with 100s of thousends of people attending. I slowly start to believe that this moaning about a royal event before it happens is part of our today´s media culture...?

If people in the Commonwealth were that uninterested Canada, New Zealand or Australia would have had the monarchy abolished already (Australia even renewed its ties with the monarchy some years ago again by performing a referendum). Of course there are anti-monarchists in all of these countries. But the majority of the population remains pro royal.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:06 AM
Serene Highness

I´d be embarressed if I´d presented the royal couple with a thing like this...(horrid):
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...33_470x542.jpg

Old 04-15-2014, 07:11 AM
Nobility

[QUOTE=wartenberg7;1657254]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
I thought nobody cared and nobody was going to show up

What makes you think so? I always wonder how people could misjudge the popularity of the couple that much (unless, may be, you´re not into Royalty)!
The greatest misjudgemt in that respect was the Queen´s Golden, not Diamond, Jubilee in 2002. Beforehand the media stated "nobody shows up". But what a huge success it turned out, with 100s of thousends of people attending. I slowly start to believe that this moaning about a royal event before it happens is part of our today´s media culture...?

If people in the Commonwealth were that uninterested Canada, New Zealand or Australia would have had the monarchy abolished already (Australia even renewed its ties with the monarchy some years ago again by performing a referendum). Of course there are anti-monarchists in all of these countries. But the majority of the population remains pro royal.

The referendum in Australia was not defeated because people wanted to keep the monarchy but because we did not like the model that was being presented. We were not asked if we wanted a republic but if we wanted a republic with a head of state chosen by the government.

Although I love royalty etc I do believe that Australia should be a republic but I voted no to a republic in the referendum as I believe Australians should have some say in who is head of state. I was not alone in this view and if you look at opinion polls you will see the backlash the current Prime Minister has received for bringing back Knighthoods.

I am very, very pleased that the tour is going so well and I am sure it will continue to do so but please remember that Australia and New Zealand are two completely separate countries. There is a far, far bigger support for a republic in Australia than there is in New Zealand.

In Australia we do like the Cambridge's and many people will come out to see them but to be honest many people also came out to see Oprah when she visited.

We tend to view members of royalty both British and Danish (Mary is Australian so Danish Family is very popular) more as celebrities rather than future heads of state. Mary and Kate are on the covers of our weekly gossip magazines and are featured on our breakfast TV shows - to the demographic who uses those types of media they would be very popular but that is only a certain section of the country's population.

Sometimes on The Royal Forums it is easy to forget that we are only a a very small group of people around the world who happen to love Royalty (we wouldn't be here if we didn't) but the members of the Royal Forums is not necessarily typical of the views of an entire country.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:37 AM
Courtier

Raining Cats And Dogs In Sydney.

The International media have arrived in Sydney to catch the Royal party landing tomorrow, and must have been relieved to get away from all the rain in New Zealand.

But it's here in Sydney too - and it's pouring down.

Pouring, pouring, pouring like we haven't had since who knows when.

Hopefully it will rain all night and run out.

TV here is advertising the arrival at 2.00pm and will broadcast it live.

They're also calling their coverage of the Tour a ''Special News Event'' and will be covering all the action.

Cheers, Sun Lion - and thank you Hanymph for your kind thoughts.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I´d be embarressed if I´d presented the royal couple with a thing like this...(horrid):
It was a little girl that gave that to Kate. I thought it was unique and different from the normal flowers she gets.

Get better Sun Lion. We need you for the Aussie leg of the tour. Wills bowled a ball at Kate's head accidentally which caused the finger wag.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:05 AM
Aristocracy

Sun Lion, So sorry to hear of your accident but glad you are better. Looking forward to your contribution during the Australian leg of this trip...Stay well!!!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Sun Lion, I'm sorry to hear of your injury and I'm pleased to hear that you're recovering. I look forward into reading your posts during the Cambridge's Australia tour.

I've noticed that there have been no public appearances from William and Catherine today. I'm assuming that they're having a rest day.

[QUOTE=wartenberg7;1657254]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
I thought nobody cared and nobody was going to show up

I think Frelinghighness was referring to one of our Australian member's post in the earlier pages of this thread, which was stating that not many people in their area and the rest of the country was interested in the tour. That's the impression I got, although of course I could be wrong.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Why? It's balloon sculpting bouquet and it's way better than the ordinary flower which one could just buy anywhere.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Apr 15 was a rest day. It's now the 16th in NZ. They are going to a police college and do a walkabout in Wellington before heading to Sydney where they will attend a reception at the Opera House.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:13 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Thanks for the confirmation Skippyboo. This tour is going very quickly!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-15-2014, 11:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlklhm View Post
Why? It's balloon sculpting bouquet and it's way better than the ordinary flower which one could just buy anywhere.

Because it looks very ugly! If you´d get that thing, would you put it in your house?!
But somebody remarked, Cath. got it from a little girl; children of course have a different taste than adults. So, it´s all right.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Serene Highness

[QUOTE=kathl29;1657277]
Quote:

The referendum in Australia was not defeated because people wanted to keep the monarchy but because we did not like the model that was being presented. We were not asked if we wanted a republic but if we wanted a republic with a head of state chosen by the government.

Sometimes on The Royal Forums it is easy to forget that we are only a a very small group of people around the world who happen to love Royalty (we wouldn't be here if we didn't) but the members of the Royal Forums is not necessarily typical of the views of an entire country.

Well, if I was a staunch republican I´d accepted the australian governments proposal (in fact not unusual in many democracys. In Germany the president is elected by parliament, the goverment and the oppositional parties) as a first step into the republican direction and after that fight for a system to vote a head of state I choose, if that´s what´s important to australian people.
This constant moaning and argueing about the monarchy but at the same time voting against a chance for a change of system is beyond me...?! (You´re, of course, not meant personally!)
Your 2nd remark, Royalists were only a small group I can only say, that if a Democracy is not in the majority in favour of the monarchy, it deposes it! All european monarchies, but also for instance Thailand or Japan, have a clear majority in favour of their royal families (one country more, the other less - but still). Some monarchies are 80, 85% or more in favour.
I cannot think of hardly any country a president would ever reach a number of support like this, because there would have always been people who voted against him.
If the number of people in favour of a monarchy on the whole planet is greater or smaller than the one who is against is not important because the earth is not a monarchy nor a republic. What counts is the support for the one or the other system in a particular country.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Thanks for the confirmation Skippyboo. This tour is going very quickly!
Why? I loved it.
Tell me about it- too fast.
Feel better Sun Lion
Old 04-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Serene Highness

[QUOTE=wartenberg7;1657328]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathl29 View Post

Well, if I was a staunch republican I´d accepted the australian governments proposal (in fact not unusual in many democracys. In Germany the president is elected by parliament, the goverment and the oppositional parties) as a first step into the republican direction and after that fight for a system to vote a head of state I choose, if that´s what´s important to australian people.
This constant moaning and argueing about the monarchy but at the same time voting against a chance for a change of system is beyond me...?! (You´re, of course, not meant personally!)
Your 2nd remark, Royalists were only a small group I can only say, that if a Democracy is not in the majority in favour of the monarchy, it deposes it! All european monarchies, but also for instance Thailand or Japan, have a clear majority in favour of their royal families (one country more, the other less - but still). Some monarchies are 80, 85% or more in favour.
I cannot think of hardly any country a president would ever reach a number of support like this, because there would have always been people who voted against him.
If the number of people in favour of a monarchy on the whole planet is greater or smaller than the one who is against is not important because the earth is not a monarchy nor a republic. What counts is the support for the one or the other system in a particular country.
This is not the thread but I will be very interested to see the response from Australians and New Zealanders to this point. I think the distinction between the situation in Australia and countries like Thailand and Japan, is that the latter's royal family actually lives within their borders.

It is fascinating to see William and Catherine's reception in New Zealand. They are obviously a celebrity couple, but their celebrity is based on their royal status. I tend to think they would receive the same reception if they were simply the future King and Queen of Britain versus the Sovereign and Consort of the Commonwealth
Old 04-15-2014, 01:48 PM
Aristocracy

As US Royal Watcher says interesting subject and a good topic for discussion. Perhaps a new thread could be started as this isn't really the correct thread for it? Also it would enable both Australian and NZ views to be put forward. This thread is for NZ part of the tour and wont be particularly active after this week.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Courtier

Popularity of the Monarchy in Australia and New Zealand. How about that for a title?
Old 04-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

New Zealand Itinerary-
Wednesday 16th April

Wellington

10am (UK 11pm Tuesday night) RNZ Police College

11.15am (UK 12.15am) Public drive and possible walkabout through Civic Square

12pm (UK 1am) Drive around bays to airport

1pm (UK 2am) Depart for Sydney {George}
http://royalkatedebate.blogspot.co.u...itinerary.html

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=HereditaryPrincess;1657307]Sun Lion, I'm sorry to hear of your injury and I'm pleased to hear that you're recovering. I look forward into reading your posts during the Cambridge's Australia tour.

I've noticed that there have been no public appearances from William and Catherine today. I'm assuming that they're having a rest day.

Quote:

I think Frelinghighness was referring to one of our Australian member's post in the earlier pages of this thread, which was stating that not many people in their area and the rest of the country was interested in the tour. That's the impression I got, although of course I could be wrong.
I believe her "wink" icon shows that she was speaking tongue in cheek and in jest, but far be it from me to put words in anyone's mouth!

And I'm sorry to hear of your injury, Sun Lion. I hope you'll feel better soon and will be fast on the road to recovery. You have to keep us in the loop!
Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 PM
Courtier

Rain Has Stopped - But Air Is Cold Here In Sydney.

Hi Everyone - and thank you for you're kind thoughts.

I saw the news last night and they said all that rain here in Sydney was the wettest start to Autumn in twenty-four years.

Hopefully it is over now - still some heavy clouds about, but no wind.

Coldest morning for a long time though - but as long as the rain is finished.

Another reporter was on TV last night telling people to get in place early, as thousands are expected to line up on the Opera House Forecourt, as the Duke and Duchess are expected to do a bit of a walkabout.

We should get saturation coverage of the Australian leg.

Some TV channels are advertising the ''spetacular pictures'' they will be broadcastng throughout the Tour.

I'll be propped up in bed, flipping between the channels, come afternoon.

Cheers All, Sun Lion.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince William will walk the grounds of the Royal New Zealand Police College in Porirua today, more than 33 years after his father opened the facility.

The prince and his wife Catherine will visit the college as one of their last functions during their 10-day tour of New Zealand, before they head for Australia-

Royals return to police college - National - NZ Herald News

Video:
Wet farewell expected for royals-
Wet farewell expected for royals - NZ News - Video - 3 News

Rumour has it....
We've heard whispers that Prince George will visit the Police College with his parents today. There's talk that he will be in tow to watch the police dog training. We know the future King loves his own pup, Lupo so will we get another glimpse at the King of cuteness?

- Nicky Park, Life & Style Editor
Live Blog: Royal visit to NZ - National - NZ Herald News

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS

Tags
australia, cambridge, catherine, new zealand, william