The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-08-2014, 05:40 AM
Majesty

To talk about something else for a moment.

How is this visit being covered in New Zealand?
What's the word on the street?
I ask because I understand that the popularity of the BRF is going down, or perhaps rather out, in New Zealand.

I do of course realise that the visit has hardly started yet, but how is the trio recieved so far?
With more or less indifference?
Nice to be visited by our British cousins attitude?
Or are people genuinely pleased with being visited by their royal family?

You understand what I mean?

Old 04-08-2014, 06:08 AM
Courtier

Hi Muhler...

Hi Muhler,

I wish I could say -

I saw an interesting clip on the internet from a NZ TV show where the presenter said don't judge the crowd size as meaning much, as the weather is keeping people away.

Also, yesterday's Ceremonial Welcome and tomorrow's Plunket Playgroup events were not open to the public, but invitation only.

Certainly the media interest is very high.

At least four Australian TV channels have on the ground reporters there broadcasting back and we're getting live coverage as things happen.

Updates throughout the day on all the breakfast and news - day and evening - shows.

Certainly there will be plenty of people not noticing they're here - my husband for one!

I haven't told him yet that I may like to get a look in real life when they are in Sydney - see how that goes when the time comes.

I think people would be a bit put out if they didn't Tour - after going to Canada, US, Asia and the South Pacific.

They had to come really after being to those places.

Best Wishes to you and all the lovely Danish Thread Posters, Sun Lion.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I don't like to be told that my opinions are ridiculous, but I do concede that it is ridiculous to suggest there are lessons to be learnt from this. Kate has demonstrated that she doesn't learn from experience.

I bet you donīt like it ... {edit JessRulz - remove personal attack}Thatīs sad, but obviously not reversable...
The Duchesses appearance yesterday was impeccable, in my opinion. She dealt with climate circumstances as best as one could.
In fact I liked it much better than Charles and Diana did it 31 years ago: Diana in a simple leisure-time dress, William being carried by his nanny behind.
Catherine was very elegantly dressed and carried her son herself (yes, William could have carried him as well. But he didnīt. And who gets the blame? Kate, of course!)
So, if you WANT to find something negative, youīll always be successful! I just wished that some people here were just a bit honest and simply admit that they donīt like Pr. Williams wife! If one doesnīt like a person, no one is able to be objective - thatīs simply not possible!
Old 04-08-2014, 06:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenbeee View Post
...It still amazes me how uppity people get about Paparazzi snaps that are intended to invade and go beyond the boundaries of what is decent to publish or not why would you publish it?
Very, very well put, thank you! I couldnīt agree more on how hypocritical celebrity-photos these days are being consumed by the public!
Sometimes Iīm wishing back the old days where one just could enjoy royal events and photographs without the dirt being poured upon it by others!
Old 04-08-2014, 06:23 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

What is the point of arriving and then to disappear for 48 hours? Starting the tour and breaking it takes the momentum away, but of course these two are not the most PR-savy people on the planet.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:29 AM
Nobility

For God sake the BRF are only human..leave them be, we are lucky that they visiting us! and bringing us joy.....I dislike people that are jealous of their status and display this publically, if we didn't have royals we wouldn't have this blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2014, 06:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrann View Post
For God sake the BRF are only human..leave them be, we are lucky that they visiting us! and bringing us joy.....I dislike people that are jealous of their status and display this publically, if we didn't have royals we wouldn't have this blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, debrann! Also agree on your post.
I come to the conclusion this board is a madhouse!

We all seem to think that William and Catherine, if theyīd ever bother to visit a forum like this, would ever care or give the slightest damn about what we have to say! Even the thought of it makes me laugh....
Old 04-08-2014, 07:22 AM
Majesty

Thank you, Sun Lion.

Your input are always appreciated.

I've had a look at New Zealand and it's Maori culture, but there are a few things I couldn't find the answers to, perhaps someone here can help?
And I ask because I genuinely wish to learn about New Zealand. (Frankly, I don't care if Kate flashed the crowd for three nano-seconds. If anyone was flashed yesterday it sure was Kate! ).

Anyway, to my astonishment I've learned that New Zealand has abolished its combat fighter capabillity. Does, that mean that Australian fighters cover New Zealand airspace?

I understand that the Maori warrior culture has been adopted by the armed forces to some extent, as we saw yesterday.
How much has the Maori culture and costums taken up in New Zealand in general?
I understand the Maoris constitute some 15% of the population. But how about the rest? Is the Maori culture one, more or less secondary, part of the national heritage or is it a significant part of the New Zealand national identity?
In other words is it fashionable to be Maori?

- To explain: The Viking heritage is a part of my national and cultural identity, even though few, if any, of my ancestors would have been genuine Vikings.
That's what I'm getting at when I ask about the Maori influence.
Because I've also heard the New Zealanders being described as more English than the English.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
What is the point of arriving and then to disappear for 48 hours? Starting the tour and breaking it takes the momentum away, but of course these two are not the most PR-savy people on the planet.
Recovering from JetLag?
BYe Bine
Old 04-08-2014, 07:28 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I do not know the reason for the duke and duchess to 'disappear' for 48 hours, but I do know that during state visits to other continents Queen Beatrix sometimes would fly there in advance, take a day or two to get rid of the jetlag /get used the climate, and after that start the visits fresh and energized. The last time this happened was during the state visits to Brunei and Singapore in 2013. During longer visits she usually took one or two days off in the middle too, as do WA and Máxima.

We can be sure that the programme has been decided by Foreign Affairs / the palace and that the duke and duchess had little say in it. TBH, the momentum is whenever the duke and duchess appear, now, in two days or in two weeks. They have enough media presence while they are young to warrent a high interest in their visits. When they get middle aged I suppose it will fade, life can be cruel .
Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I bet you donīt like it ...
{edit JessRulz} Thatīs sad, but obviously not reversable...
The Duchesses appearance yesterday was impeccable, in my opinion. She dealt with climate circumstances as best as one could.
In fact I liked it much better than Charles and Diana did it 31 years ago: Diana in a simple leisure-time dress, William being carried by his nanny behind.
Catherine was very elegantly dressed and carried her son herself (yes, William could have carried him as well. But he didnīt. And who gets the blame? Kate, of course!)
So, if you WANT to find something negative, youīll always be successful! I just wished that some people here were just a bit honest and simply admit that they donīt like Pr. Williams wife! If one doesnīt like a person, no one is able to be objective - thatīs simply not possible!
As things stand, these people expect to one day be my King - my Head of State - and his consort. I sincerely hope that before that day comes my country is a Republic, and we no longer have to endure having foreigners as our representatives on the world stage. But until that day comes his grandmother is my monarch and one day his father - whom I do like and respect - will be my monarch and I reserve the right to think and say whatever the hell I want to think and say about them. And you're actually quite right in one respect: I hold William and his wife in fairly low regard. No surprises there. I had high hopes for her because she had a university education and I expected her to actually contribute something substantial and not just her ova, but I am finding her very disappointing. Diana had far less education but, in my opinion, had far more substance.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

I hope the royals will continue to have a presence in New Zealand and Australia and I think Their Royal Highnesses The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge will make a fine King & Queen someday.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-08-2014, 08:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I hope the royals will continue to have a presence in New Zealand and Australia and I think Their Royal Highnesses The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge will make a fine King & Queen someday.
They might, but I hope to hell they are not king and consort (for she will never be Queen of Australia for we don't have that role in our Constitution) of my country.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

I'm just saying that no matter what happens in the future, I hope the royals will continue to visit great places like New Zealand and Australia.

Despite the war for independence, the ties between America and the United Kingdom will forever be strong and we always welcome the British royals here in America. Many of us Americans love the British royal family.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-08-2014, 09:47 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Okay, that is more than ENOUGH.

If you cannot be respectful of others' opinions, or accept that not everyone has the same opinion as you, please take a break from this thread - or forum - until you can control yourselves. That goes to those on all sides of the spectrum - positive, negative, whatever.

If this thread continues with the personal attacks, the culprits may find themselves with their posting privileges suspended for the duration of the tour.

JessRulz
TRF Admin
Old 04-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Courtier

Thanks JessRulz... I checked in this morning to see if there was any real news...
Old 04-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Heir Apparent

It is 1am right now in Wellington so nothing will be going on right now. George's baby playgroup is in the afternoon in NZ so it will be in the middle of the night in UK and late evening for the East coast of the US and Canada.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Aristocracy

If my calculations are correct, it should be 9:00 PM (CST-TX) for the playgroup event!! Can't wait to see PG with the other children...
Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
understand that the Maori warrior culture has been adopted by the armed forces to some extent, as we saw yesterday.
How much has the Maori culture and costums taken up in New Zealand in general?
I understand the Maoris constitute some 15% of the population. But how about the rest? Is the Maori culture one, more or less secondary, part of the national heritage or is it a significant part of the New Zealand national identity?
In other words is it fashionable to be Maori?
That's what I'm getting at when I ask about the Maori influence.
Because I've also heard the New Zealanders being described as more English than the English.
Well, this is not an exact fit, but someone posted this link on Twitter and I remembered your interest:
Duchess of Cambridge and the meaning of the Maori warrior's tattoo | World news | theguardian.com
Old 04-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Heir Apparent

From British Royals's Twitter

Prince George's first public engagement with @PlunketNZ will be Wednesday 3pm NZ time (4am London, 11pm New York, 8pm LA) #RoyalVisitNZ

Tags
australia, cambridge, catherine, new zealand, william