The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-08-2014, 12:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
I really think it would have been ok if the nanny took George down the stairs or at least William did. they are there to shake hands and do work, having to shlep a baby on your hip at the same time, a big, energetic one, that smacks of superwoman I think.
True, even if William carrying him down the steps would have been a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
No-one is suggesting she can't carry her child down the stairs. Some people, however, are suggesting that she wasn't wise to do it in the prevailing weather conditions, wearing the clothes and shoes she was wearing, when the child's father, who was wearing stable footware and sensible clothes that weren't likely to be blown up and reveal his underwear, could have easily and quite properly carried his child to the bottom of the stairs and averted the possibility of his wife tripping in those heels and tumbling down the stairs with the child.
Have to be honest, there was a moment there at the top of the steps when I thought she was going to lose George.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
...It's not the end of the world but as one of the most photographed woman in the world, she should have known a little better. Otherwise i think she looked fantastic in this very regal outfit.
Yes indeed she has been caught out again. It is really starting to get more than a little old and surprisingly she has learnt nothing from her own past wardrobe malfunction experiences. Catherine and her Marilyn Munro moments are getting a tiny bit tacky I'm afraid.

Beat me, shoot me, put me on 'Ignore", it still doesn't alter the fact that the wife of the second in line to the throne is either thick as a plank or vain about how good her legs look.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:36 AM
Courtier

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe George was fussing and that Catherine was the only one who could sooth him? Babies usually rule the roost.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

Beat me, shoot me, put me on 'Ignore", it still doesn't alter the fact that the wife of the second in line to the throne is either thick as a plank or vain about how good her legs look.
Or you know, wind is a thing that exists.

One of the three, surely.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

I really like how the kids and the people who got to meet the Cambridge's during the welcoming ceremonies focused on the real stuff. They were delighted to meet William & Catherine and the officials who met George. They all were battling the heavy winds and their clothing were going all over the place, luckily, nobody (including Catherine) flashed anything or became too embarrassed.

All this noise about the wind showing a little leg from Catherine is just nonsense. It happens folks. It happened to The Queen and many other royal ladies. Catherine is no different. None of them really make a big fuss over a little gust of wind. None of them like it happening but it happens.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-08-2014, 12:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Or both.

These days I regularly find myself in the extraordinary situation of citing Diana as an example of how Kate should be behaving. I say "extraordinary" because I was not a fan of Diana, but I will give kudos where it's due, and Diana would not have made this sort of blunder. She learned her lesson after the sun-behind-the-skirt photo very early on and never repeated it. She had good legs but while she was with Charles she wore appropriate clothes and didn't make a point of showing off her very fine attributes. Diana might have had some personality problems and I believe she made a lot of errors of judgment in respect of her personal life, but when it came to her public life she demonstrated that she possessed that intangible quality that can't be taught in a university: class.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sigh. This is inaccurate, and these things happen to most of the royal ladies at some time or another. People are choosing to remember what they'd like to remember, and it's not accurate.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Royal Wardrobe Malfunctions and Mishaps

I just hope something cool and interesting happens soon so that we can stop dwelling on Wind And How It Is A Thing That Shows Major Character Flaws.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
...being carried by his mother might have been the best way to prevent him from getting fussy.
You are so correct. A baby that young will go from angel like state to full blown tantrum in seconds so the best place is in mom's arms. That is where they usually feels the safest.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Actually, Diana had several wardrobe mishaps due to the wind.

As for not showing off her legs, she most definitely did. She ditched the below the knee skirts/dresses a few years before the divorce.

Quote:
I just hope something cool and interesting happens soon so that we can stop dwelling on Wind And How It Is A Thing That Shows Major Character Flaws.
Don't worry, the next non-controversy is just around the corner. It's gonna be a long 3 weeks.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
...Diana would not have made this sort of blunder.
Diana also suffered from windy situations too. Yes, Diana had a great deal of class but so does her daughter-in-law.

Diana went through this stuff on several occasions as well. Just because these ladies dresses blow in the wind and a little leg is shown, does not mean they are classless, haven't learned they're lessons or just want to show they're legs off. Sometimes the wind get the best of their wardrobe and they have to fight through it. Over the years, the royal ladies have had hats blow off, shirts blow in the wind and even they've been pushed by the strong winds. It just somethings that happens from time to time.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-08-2014, 01:56 AM
Serene Highness

The polite thing is to ignore it

I was always taught, by my genteel Southern mamma, that it was rude and unkind to point out a person's embarrassing moments.

I once (at least!) had occasion to be thankful that other people thought that way also: When meeting my then-boyfriend's parents for the first time, and being rather grandly dressed for an occasion- just as I shook hands, the elastic in my black silk unmentionables broke and they fell to my ankles. The parents pretended to be admiring a painting (on their own wall) so that I could retreat and retrieve.

That probably wasn't my most embarrassing moment, but it was certainly the most memorable.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

Looking forward to tomorrow's event. Has a start time for been announced yet?
Photo of some of the families that William, Kate and George will meet.
https://twitter.com/PlunketNZ/status...571009/photo/1
Old 04-08-2014, 02:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
As for not showing off her legs, she most definitely did. She ditched the below the knee skirts/dresses a few years before the divorce.
That's why I said "when she was with Charles", but I may not have made myself clear. I meant when the marriage was still functioning, not when she was physically at the same place as Charles. She certainly started showing off her not inconsiderable attributes after the marriage had gone kaput.

Quote:
Don't worry, the next non-controversy is just around the corner. It's gonna be a long 3 weeks.
Yep. Three weeks on our turf under our scrutiny. She's bound to make some more blunders. It's a shame she seems to get little help from her husband. He should have carried George down those stairs.

Quote:
Sigh. This is inaccurate, and these things happen to most of the royal ladies at some time or another. People are choosing to remember what they'd like to remember, and it's not accurate.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Royal Wardrobe Malfunctions and Mishaps
Fair point. As I said, I was not a fan of Diana and I did not buy women's magazines to see photos of her or seek out news footage of her on the TV because I really didn't care much for most of what she wore and wasn't interested in seeing her in those dowdy clothes she used to wear in the early years, so if the incidents were covered it is likely I didn't see those photos. Diana became a lot more interesting to me when the cracks in the marriage became apparent and she started to look pouty and bored in public. That coincided with her dressing in a way I found much more attractive and I started to pay more attention to her. And of course we didn't have the internet then to show us all her wardrobe malfunctions minutes after they happened.

Quote:
I doubt she's going to do anything "cool and interesting". These people are not allowed to actually do anything controversial or to express personal opinions so we do not get a chance to see their major character flaws until their marriages founder and they start allowing people to write books about them and giving television interviews, we have to make our decisions based on what we do see, so when they allow themselves to be caught smiling and playing with their hair during extremely solemn ceremonies, conclusions are drawn.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:06 AM
Courtier

"Miserable" Weather for Cambridge's Rest Day.

Hi Everyone,

I've just had a chance to catch up on some of the Austalian TV news reports - I'm recording a few.

It's going on for 4.00pm Tuesday here, so I guess that means it's early evening where W, C and PG are - I think Sydney is two hours behind Wellington.

All the reporters broadcasting back to Australia are saying the weather there today, the "rest" day, is much worse that yesterday's arrival day.

"Miserable", "blowing a gale" etc and the footage looks like Wellington Harbour is shrouded in mist/fog/low cloud.

All the reporters are under umbrellas and wrapped up.

One reporter said on air that she has had to go and buy thermal underwear.

This is a shame as apparently the Duke and Duchess had specifically chosen their "rest" day hideaway location based on their being a lot of "greenery", as they wanted to be able to get outdoors with little PG.

As there was no real "news" for today, we've been given a bit more detail about yesterday's plane change and activities - and a bit more footage and comments from those who met the Royal Couple.

One reporter said that the people - adults and school children alike - who performed and met the Duke and Duchess at Wellington's Government House yesterday were not allowed to have umbrellas. They all looked soaked to the skin and shivering when speaking on camera, but were full of excitment and really up about the experience.

Yes, Spheno and Skippyboo - all reports I saw yesterday and today's "fresh" crossovers spoke about the Queen's diamond and platinum fern brooch. We were told by all the reporters -I saw about six different ones, all female - about this piece of jewellery, it's origins and meaning.

One reporter - whether this was her take on things, or she was officially briefed - told us to be aware that this Tour was to contain a lot of "symbolism".

One reporter passed on some of the Duke and Duchess' comments to the children at the Government House ceremony.

Cheers, Sun Lion.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:07 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Sigh. This is inaccurate, and these things happen to most of the royal ladies at some time or another.
I never saw some of these photos but they do go to show how the wind does affect us all at one time or another. I must admit though that Catherine's legs are quite stylish when compared to some of the others [according to my grandson] although I am sure that she doesn't do on purpose. I do remember once years ago that Princess Anne's dress went up over her waist on windy day and she was standing with her panties and part of her back exposed. Actually she had a lovely figure and it was commented on quite favorably.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
That's why I said "when she was with Charles", but I may not have made myself clear. I meant when the marriage was still functioning, not when she was physically at the same place as Charles. She certainly started showing off her not inconsiderable attributes after the marriage had gone kaput.
No I understood. I just don't think it matters whether the marriage was functioning, or it was kaput. She was still married and still representing the royal family. So while a member of the BRF, she did show off her "very fine attributes".

Quote:
Yep. Three weeks on our turf under our scrutiny. She's bound to make some more blunders. It's a shame she seems to get little help from her husband. He should have carried George down those stairs.
Maybe Kate didn't want William to carry George down the stairs, or maybe George didn't want to be carried by his dad. I'm sure if she felt she couldn't maneuver down the stairs, she would have asked for (and received) his help.

There is no doubt that Kate will make some blunders in her lifetime, she's only human.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:22 AM
Serene Highness

Just can't figure out *Why* the interest in the skirts flying? Now we all know what the human body looks like, no big deal there....skirts will fly when the wind blows regardless of who you are....
Now for Catherine carrying the baby, she acts like a mother it seems to me, she carries her baby and she did a great job doing so walking down the ramp............what's the big deal?

I am beginning to feel very sorry for Catherine, mostly her, and William for the thing is: Be damned it they do and be damned it they don't* ........let's not makes this a long *Negative* 3 weeks, this is to be informative and fun.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Perfectly said.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:53 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
No-one is suggesting she can't carry her child down the stairs. Some people, however, are suggesting that she wasn't wise to do it in the prevailing weather conditions, wearing the clothes and shoes she was wearing, when the child's father, who was wearing stable footware and sensible clothes that weren't likely to be blown up and reveal his underwear, could have easily and quite properly carried his child to the bottom of the stairs and averted the possibility of his wife tripping in those heels and tumbling down the stairs with the child.
Perhaps shes rather proud of her obviously fine looking legs and doesnt give a toss if they are exposed because shes a young carefree woman who accepts that these sorts of things happen and they arent plan for. Perhaps she wore the dress because she liked it.
Perhaps Will was supposed to carry George but the baby stacked it and wanted mum instead.
To suggest that there are 'lessons' to be learnt from this experience is ridiculous.
I think that this says more about the sickos that take the pics with their lens trained on her crutch hoping for a puff of wind.

Even if you can see some of her undies what can you really see? nothing.
It still amazes me how uppity people get about Paparazzi snaps that are intended to invade and go beyond the boundaries of what is decent to publish or not why would you publish it?

So they didnt wave Im sure theyll be waving lots when its our turn.
I think some people just like to find the negative in everything
Old 04-08-2014, 04:28 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't like to be told that my opinions are ridiculous, but I do concede that it is ridiculous to suggest there are lessons to be learnt from this. Kate has demonstrated that she doesn't learn from experience.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:52 AM
Courtier

PG Delivers The Punch-Line In Today's Political Cartoon.

PG didn't make the front page of my Sydney newspaper today.

(He did in other states, but we've just had the end of a high-profile court case and that got it.)

But he did get to deliver the punch-line in today's political cartoon.

Sydney has been to-ing and fro-ing for decades, about building a second airport at a place called Badgery's Creek.

The cartoonist has drawn the Duke and Duchess ascending the Royal NZ Air Force plane with little PG looking back at us, and his nappy carrying the message "I'd rather land at Badgerys".

Also, reporters on TV today said it's not confirmed that PG will attend tomorrow's playgroup event, as the Duke and Duchess don't want to disappoint people by saying for sure that he will be going, and then he ends up being out of sorts and doesn't go.

The 6.00pm news has just shown the families, adults and babies, who will meet the Royals tomorrow and interviewed a few of them.

A booklet, "Well Child...Tamariki Ora...Health Book" was shown.

A copy of this is to be presented tomorrow.

It's a parenting book - in both English and the Maori language.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Tags
australia, cambridge, catherine, new zealand, william