The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Heir Apparent

^^ He arrived in Sydney wearing some sort of warm-looking, limb-covering, outfit that nevertheless allowed people to see his face. No excuse for him being scantily dressed in New Zealand.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Probably a onesie similar to what he wore enroute would have served the purpose.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystiblue View Post
By the look on her face upon stepping out from the plane, she looked really surprised at how cold and windy it really was. I think George's legs looked a bit "mottly" from the cold, but until you have really experienced Wellington, you don't really know these things. Also I would imagine her shoes would have been slightly wet from the damp ground after their Maori welcome.
That kid's used to the cold wind and rain. He lives in England, after all. And he did have warm sweater on - no worse than a girl in a dress this time of year. He didn't seem to care, I'll bet he's too confused to notice the cold at this point.

I wanted to like Kate's outfit, but frankly, she looked like a fight attendant from days gone by.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
...He was outside for maybe 2 minutes max. I think he was ok.
Seriously. This is such a non-issue.

He looked fine. He wasn't upset or crying or fussy and he looked comfortable.

The child has not only his parents, but his own security and nanny and entourage.

Spare a thought for the millions of kids the world over who are cold, hungry, poorly-clothed, etc, and don't spend too much time worrying about a baby who is far more than adequately looked after.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I really think it would have been ok if the nanny took George down the stairs or at least William did. they are there to shake hands and do work, having to shlep a baby on your hip at the same time, a big, energetic one, that smacks of superwoman I think.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
I really think it would have been ok if the nanny took George down the stairs or at least William did. they are there to shake hands and do work, having to shlep a baby on your hip at the same time, a big, energetic one, that smacks of superwoman I think.
I think the headlines would have been ugly if the first glimpse of George had been in the nanny's arms, rather than with his parents.

Plus, like others have pointed out- that was a long flight and he was probably exhausted, so being carried by his mother might have been the best way to prevent him from getting fussy.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Kare had enough of a challenge getting down those steps, worrying about her hat, her dress lifting in the wind, the wet steps....
Exactly! She should not have had to worry about all those things at all! Where are her assistants to avoid that situation (get her prepared to face the difficulties)? Not that she or they did not know what was coming...
Old 04-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbruno View Post
Exactly! She should not have had to worry about all those things at all! Where are her assistants to avoid that situation (get her prepared to face the difficulties)? Not that she or them did not know what was coming...

Considering that the greeting went successfully and no mishaps occurred, it's safe to assume the Cambridges and their staff were
prepared.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Nobility

yes, despite her hair getting loose, the hem of the coat and dress getting up and not beeing able to hold the hand rail (as her husband did), everything else went smooth
Old 04-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
In hindsight, William should probably have carried George off the plane, but hindsight's a wonderful thing.

And people would have criticised her for not carrying her own son and that she such a bad mother ... blah , blah , blah . She can't win this .
Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Nobility

I think Kate did very well coming down the stairs carrying her son, leave her alone she is George's mother and I think she wants to be close to him as much as she can considering she is part of the BRF, good on her and Kate, Wills and George welcome to Kiwiland
Old 04-07-2014, 09:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbruno View Post
yes, despite her hair getting loose, the hem of the coat and dress getting up and not beeing able to hold the hand rail (as her husband did), everything else went smooth

She didn't slip or trip, her hair would have blown in the wind no matter what, and her dress didn't blow up far enough to be indecent or look inappropriate.

It really was fine.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:41 PM
Courtier

I never knew leaving an airplane could trigger so much debate. Goodness me are people seriously suggesting she can't carry her own son down the stairs. And as for what George is wearing. I am sure that two minutes outside in mild conditions won't bother him a bit.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It was delightful to see Prince George sitting on top of the wall and also seated on the bicycle seat!!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think my favorite one was George sitting with Grumpy Great Granny at the Olympic opening ceremony.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
I never knew leaving an airplane could trigger so much debate. Goodness me are people seriously suggesting she can't carry her own son down the stairs.
No-one is suggesting she can't carry her child down the stairs. Some people, however, are suggesting that she wasn't wise to do it in the prevailing weather conditions, wearing the clothes and shoes she was wearing, when the child's father, who was wearing stable footware and sensible clothes that weren't likely to be blown up and reveal his underwear, could have easily and quite properly carried his child to the bottom of the stairs and averted the possibility of his wife tripping in those heels and tumbling down the stairs with the child.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
It was delightful to see Prince George sitting on top of the wall and also seated on the bicycle seat!!
Those were all priceless.
I imagine William and Kate would get a laugh out of it too
Old 04-07-2014, 10:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesa View Post
...if it was me, my baby would have also had a hat on, as well as a blanket to cover him.
Your baby was obviously better behaved than mine, any time I plopped a hat on his head he promptly grabbed it and threw it as far as he could at that age.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Royal Highness

66 degrees is not cold

Babies who are exposed a bit to the elements are generally healthier than those who are always indoors, or wrapped up, or overdressed. My son was a November baby in a cold winter, and he seldom had anything heavier than a light blanket thrown around him when I took him the 20 steps from house to car, and never even had a cold until he was nearly two years old. Of course when we took him out to play he was dressed in a liittle hooded snowsuit....(mother begins to weep in wistful memory of that adorable little baby) And now as an adult, he camps out in the snow in the Rocky Mountains. George looks like a bold little chap to me.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Serene Highness

I'm happy to have so many great pictures of George! He's one of the cutest babies I've seen in awhile. I think he looks more like Kate and her father, but I did laugh at some of the photos where his "grumpy" face is very similar to that of QEII. :)

Hope the family is able to rest up… I'm really looking forward to this tour!

Tags
australia, cambridge, catherine, new zealand, william