Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - Sept 24-Oct 1, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Ish for the wonderful pictures you've posted. I agree with everyone else that Trudeau is most certainly a good looking guy and that guy in the blue suit can very well be William's body double.

The Cambridges do look like they're really enjoying themselves and I'm sure they didn't disappoint the crowds that turned out to see them.

Ish, thank you for posting your/your friend's own photos.

It looks like you got a chance to have a good look at William and Catherine "in the flesh".

Worth the long journey there and back to get so close, as some of the crowd photos from this ceremony - well if I didn't know what Catherine was wearing, I don't think I could have picked the Royal couple out.

Thanks again.

:ermm: What an outfit of the durchess...

The dress is cute anyway - if you are a bubblegum. The shoes look very good, but the colour "bites" the colour of the dress.

The kids are little charmers, of course.

Royal photog Mark Stewart has gotten in the habit of tweeting before an event starts. So, yesterday, he tweeted a pic just before takeoff - a nice heads up!
Today, his first tweet: https://twitter.com/RegalEyes/status/780391513243185152
Mark seems to be one of the photogs in the limited press pool today. Expect pics to be slow in coming as a result of the use of a pool and the remote location.

Heavy rain of 1-2 inches is expected today for Bella Bella. It looks to lighten up, but not necessarily stop after 1PM local time. Bummer.
I have a nice waterproof running jacket that would be a better fit for Wills than Kate that I would be happy to loan them. ;)
https://weather.com/weather/today/l/CAXX1109:1:CA

justin trudeau is certainly very charming. i am not surprised he got so much attention in the forums!

is it just me or this tour is being low on the photos side so far?

The Duke of Cambridge to install final Ring of Reconciliation at Black Rod Ceremony tonight at BC Legislature.

https://www.leg.bc.ca/content-peo/learning resources/the-black-rod-fact-sheet-english.pdf

As an outsider (American) one thing I find fascinating about the BRF is the "political" line they are supposed to avoid. So, a couple of links to the underlying stories today.
First, the Black Rod ceremony has an undercurrent coming from the First Nations. Read more at https://twitter.com/UBCIC/status/780400397324197888

Second and including interview bits from Carolyn Harris, more about the Rainforest and political will from Bella Bella - it's hunting season: How green are the royals? Great Bear Rainforest will give William and Kate glimpse of 'stunning' natural world - Canada - CBC News

And on a personal note, I promise to shut up and get back to my real work. Royal distraction is not my friend! :lol:

So what ? I think it is no longer customary to bow or curtsy in Canada (which is a very egalitarian, North American country), as it is no longer customary BTW to bow or curtsy in Belgium and the Netherlands, and, in Sweden, it only happens occasionally / infrequently.

Well, could you imagine the canadian gov. general and his wife not bowing/ curtsying when being invited in Buck. Palace, but when they receive the Royals in Canada they´re acting "republican"....?!
In Belgium and the Netherlands curtsies have been "abolished" by the royal houses themselves, nobody else decided to do so. In Sweden (at court) curtsies/ bows are not abolished at all! It is the private decision of left wing politicians not to bow. But there was never an official "decleration" (as dutch Queen Juliana, as far as I know, did) by the court that isn´t wished anymore.
This egalitarian north american country you´re speaking of is still a monarchy with a ROYAL head of state. And to me it seems quite a contradiction to hand out measures of royal etiquette, how to behave when meeting the ducal couple (as happend before this tour: no hats after 6.30 pm, not referring to the Duchess as "Kate" etc.) while canadian civil servants seem to refuse any good behaviour.
What´s next? Calling the Royals in a speech by their 1st names? "Hey, what´s up Wills and Kate?! Thanks for coming round....":whistling:

I just hate these "in-between-situations"; either you´re a republic and you don´t give about a damn about these things, or you´re in a monarchy and you recognize that certain things, like basic royal etiquette, are part of that package.

Am I the only one who thinks Justin Trudeau is kinda hunky?

Oh, I didn´t know there was someone who thinks he´s not?!:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
I just hate these "in-between-situations"; either you´re a republic and you don´t give about a damn about these things, or you´re in a monarchy and you recognize that certain things, like basic royal etiquette, are part of that package.

I fully agree. You don't get to pick and choose which parts of the Royal etiquette you wish to follow and which to ignore. Besides, we should maybe become more aware of basic good manners again( like keeping your hands out of trouser pockets when in a formal situation, take off your baseball cap when seated in a restaurant, respect the parking spot for the disable/elderly).

Since the Royal couple make an effort to do the right and proper thing, those who meet them should do likewise imo.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

thank you to all for the links and photos.
Makes me want to visit Canada ;)

video of William giving a few words in French, and as he says "work with me, its a little rusty". :cool: Always nice to try a say a few words in another language. :flowers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HPc0JvkUVA

On today's events
"Weather atrocious for William & Kate's visit to Bella Bella today. Some activities may be cancelled.But hopeful they should still get there!"

"William & Kate still heading to Bella Bella today but the weather has meant their float plane tour of the Great Bear Rainforest is cancelled"
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/780433513573154816

I fully agree. You don't get to pick and choose which parts of the Royal etiquette you wish to follow and which to ignore. Besides, we should maybe become more aware of basic good manners again( like keeping your hands out of trouser pockets when in a formal situation, take off your baseball cap when seated in a restaurant, respect the parking spot for the disable/elderly).

Since the Royal couple make an effort to do the right and proper thing, those who meet them should do likewise imo.

I don't think bowing and curtsying are necessary elements of royal protocol. As I said, bowing and curtsying are no longer observed in Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, and, most of the time, in Sweden, but that doesn't make the "loyal subjects" of those countries more republican than their counterparts in places where curtsying is still observed like Denmark, Spain, or the UK.

In fact, even in the UK, bowing and curtsying are always optional. It would be odd not to do it in front of members of the royal family, because it is the socially accepted custom, but nobody is required to do it.

thank you to all for the links and photos.
Makes me want to visit Canada ;)

video of William giving a few words in French, and as he says "work with me, its a little rusty". :cool: Always nice to try a say a few words in another language. :flowers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HPc0JvkUVA

His French pronunciation was actually better than last time he was in Canada, but still ...

It is interesting how continental princes like Willem-Alexander, Frederik, or Felipe can speak at least three of four languages fluently whereas the British princes struggle to read two paragraphs or so in French.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - Autumn 2016

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

I fully disagree.

Monarchies evolve to reflect the society they're in, and etiquette does (or should) do the same. What works in Europe might not work outside of Europe.

Given the situation and the individuals present I wasn't remotely surprised as the lack of any bows or curtseys. The GG and LG should not have done so, as in Canada they're the representatives of the Queen. I bet that the GG's wife followed her husband's lead on this.

The PM is in a tricky spot on this - as while his party officially continues to support maintaining the monarchy, he's from Quebec and the voters in his riding very likely don't. He did now to the Queen when he met her in the UK last year. The PM's wife also likely followed her husband's lead on this.

Which leaves the Premier and her son - at which point it would have seemed odd for them to bow/curtsey when the others were not. Not to mention the fact that while she doesn't have to deal with Quebec, Christy Clark is the Provincial level equivalent of Justin Trudeau (in role, not in person).

Living in Britain and travelling to Canada every few years, there is no occasion to use French. Unless you're using a language on a regular basis, you'll never pick it up.

Canada may officially be bilingual but in practice it's much different. Where I live no one speaks French.

Living in Britain and travelling to Canada every few years, there is no occasion to use French. Unless you're using a language on a regular basis, you'll never pick it up.

Canada may officially be bilingual but in practice it's much different. Where I live no one speaks French.

That is not the point, I think. The point is that royal princes in continental Europe normally speak English and French fluently in addition to their own native language (i.e. Danish, Dutch, Spanish, etc.) and, often, they also speak German. Compared to that standard, the education of the British princes is lacking, especially for someone like William who is going to be king one day.

Britain may have voted to leave the European Union, but, as Boris Johnson said, that doesn't change the fact that it is an European country. One would expect European princes to speak at least one other major European language besides their own.

Last edited:
For native French speakers on the board: is it that he speaks poorly (broken phrases, incorrect words, etc) or that he has a poor accent?

As for the question of royal etiquette, the monarchy's own webpage is explicit:

There are no obligatory codes of behaviour when meeting The Queen or a member of the Royal Family, but many people wish to observe the traditional forms. For men this is a neck bow (from the head only) whilst women do a small curtsy. Other people prefer simply to shake hands in the usual way.

Last edited:
That is not the point, I think. The point is that royal princes in continental Europe normally speak English and French fluently in addition to their own native language (i.e. Danish, Dutch, Spanish, etc.) and, often, they also speak German. Compared to that standard, the education of the British princes is lacking, especially for someone like William who is going to be king one day.

Britain may have voted to leave the European Union, but, as Boris Johnson said, that doesn't change the fact that it is an European country. One would expect European princes to speak at least one other major European language besides their own.

And what purpose would there be in a Canadian Royal (as he is) speaking European French?

Anyone from Canada will inform you that the French that is spoken in Canada - especially the French spoken in Quebec - is most definitely not the French spoken in Europe. The two have had more than 200 years to evolve differently.

The Duke had an accent and words were not correctly pronounced. Note that the Duke was reading just some written lines. Maybe with phonetic instructions. This was no conversation vis-à-vis in French. I doubt he would succeed in that.

The continental princes often have a foreign parent: Willem-Alexander has a German parent. Catharina-Amalia has an Argentine parent. Frederik has a French parent. Felipe has a Greek parent, etc. But when I learn that 12-years old Amalia (Dutch-Spanish-English-German) has started lessons in Chinese (!) while she is in her first year on a Gymnasium (which includes Latin and classic Greek) then the efforts by the Duke of Cambridge look wafer-thin...

And what purpose would there be in a Canadian Royal (as he is) speaking European French?

Anyone from Canada will inform you that the French that is spoken in Canada - especially the French spoken in Quebec - is most definitely not the French spoken in Europe. The two have had more than 200 years to evolve differently.

The spoken language differs in vocabulary and pronunciation (and, sometimes, in grammar in the more non-standard varieties), but the standard written language is actually the same in France and in Québec.

Standard written French is actually quite uniform in all French-speaking countries, more so actually than written English where, as you can tell from these forums, there are a few differences between American (US) English, British English, or Canadian English, not only in vocabulary, but also in spelling and sometimes even grammar (syntax and morphology).

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles were taught Parisian French of course, and, whenever they were in Canada, they were perfectly understood. The Queen's French is not perfect either (not as good as Queen Beatrix's, Queen Margrethe's and Queen Sofia's for example), but she speaks it reasonably well. William should have been held to the same standard as his grandmother and his father IMHO, but that is probably a topic for another forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uxQpdHz7t2o#t=107

Last edited:
Its a fact the children learn language MUCH easier than adults. The brain is moore malleable at 12 than at William's age.

Back
Top Bottom