Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - Sept 24-Oct 1, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well almost forgot about this tour until flipping channels when I got home. Contrary to the fever for the royal tour bring reported, this your hasn't brought much excited talk. Grumbling from many about the cost. I notice our news made sure to clarify Kate was paying for her hairdresser and not the Canadian tax payers. Seems the cheque being picked up by Canada is a touchy subject not just here.

i am not surprised. they were mentioning the cost of their last trip at 650.000 dollars. :eek: i imagine this one will be around the same amount, as the most expensive things are transport, lodging and security which remain constant.
it is quite a sum, that i wonder if it wouldn't be best spent in perhaps supporting the charities they stand for.

People always complain about the cost of tours when it comes to W&K but cricket when its Charles and Camilla

i am not surprised. they were mentioning the cost of their last trip at 650.000 dollars. :eek: i imagine this one will be around the same amount, as the most expensive things are transport, lodging and security which remain constant.
it is quite a sum, that i wonder if it wouldn't be best spent in perhaps supporting the charities they stand for.

No because William and Kate are members of the Canadian royal family and we want to see them.

A government department, Heritage Canada, is responsible for royal visits and the money comes out of it's budget.

Canada has around 6 royal visits a year

Great welcome! But none of these "loyal subjects" bowed or curtsied....

So what ? I think it is no longer customary to bow or curtsy in Canada (which is a very egalitarian, North American country), as it is no longer customary BTW to bow or curtsy in Belgium and the Netherlands, and, in Sweden, it only happens occasionally / infrequently.

It's one of the most iconic ways to travel in Canada.

And the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge couldn't hide their delight as they were treated to a 'float plane' flight into the buzzing city of Vancouver today, despite the damp and grey weather.

The couple, on their first full day of an eight-day royal tour to the realm, had left their children, Prince George, three, and 16-month-old Princess Charlotte behind at Government House in Victoria with their nanny, Maria Borrallo.
Read more: Kate looks every inch the glamorous young royal as she and Wills leave Prince George and Princess Charlotte with their nanny while they enjoy a day in Vancouver* | Daily Mail Online

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - Autumn 2016

The cost maybe lower since they are staying at Government House all but one night and they are only visiting 2 provinces. 2011 they went from Ottawa to Montreal, Quebec City, PEI to Whitehorse and then to Calgary more spread out travel.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Overall, I think the Canadians (and the Australians, the New Zealanders, etc.) have the best of both worlds, namely they get a royal family that costs them virtually nothing (except during the infrequent royal tours), and whatever they spend with the Governor General and his/her household pales in comparison with what other monarchies spend with their respective royal families or what many republics like France or the US spend with their presidents.

A pretty good deal if you ask me.

Overall, I think the Canadians (and the Australians, the New Zealanders, etc.) have the best of both worlds, namely they get a royal family that costs them virtually nothing (except during the infrequent royal tours), and whatever they spend with the Governor General and his/her household pales in comparison with what other monarchies spend with their respective royal families or what many republics like France or the US spend with their presidents.

But your 18th century ancestors would disagree! Indeed, monarchies nowadays are more cost effective than republics, it would seem! Perhaps Americans should revisit the 1777 Revolution and rejoin the Commonwealth!:lol:

I don't think the LG keeps a high profile at all. I don't think that's necessarily typical; I remember our last LG (Steven Point) who I actually thought was still the LG (I don't know why I thought this; it's a failing on my part, and as soon as I thought about it I realized that it was silly to think he was still LG as his term started 10 years ago).

It's similar with the GG; I only know who David Johnston is because I've made a point of knowing it, he doesn't keep a high profile at all. His two immediate predecessors, Michaelle Jean and Adrienne Clarkson, maintained much higher profiles.

I'd definitely agree with that. I just had to look up who the LG of Ontario is. Of the LGs in my lifetime, I remember only two: Lincoln Alexander, who was a big deal because he was the first black LG in Canada, and Hilary Weston, who was notable because she was Galen Weston's wife.

As for GGs, I remember Jeanne Sauvé, but again, she was notable because she was the first female GG. David Johnston's appointment was a big deal where I'm from because he was the former President of one of the two Universities in town (and the one that I happened to go to).

Very sweet! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Sheway is a Pregnancy Outreach Program located in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver and it’s also an official stop for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Client Karen Leanne Starr tells Global News how Sheway helped save her life.

Video: Why Vancouver’s Sheway was picked as an official stop on the Royal Tour | Watch News Videos Online
Wonderful to know that programs and treatment centers are there to treat the most vulnerable in our society.

Excellent assessment of the situation regarding the Canadian, Australian, and New Zealand monarchies. Mbruno.

Last edited by a moderator:
Catching up here on all the goings on with the Royal Tour. One thing I can say for certain is that Will, Kate, George and Charlotte can really put the "family" in British royal family. I'm happy they were able to take their children with them to Canada even with having a pretty heavily planned itinerary.

Thanks Ish for a up close look at the arrival of the Cambridges at the War Memorial. I've never been to British Columbia but have heard that its a very beautiful part of the world and I'm hoping to see that shine through in the pictures taken during this tour.

I'm not a fan either of the short pants, knee socks look for little guys either. I didn't dress any of my boys that way when they were little except perhaps the shorts during hot weather.

We have lots of pictures of little boys in our family dressed in this manner for church and weddings, etc. I always think they look adorable with their little knees. The innocence of childhood. And, I love the little girl dresses for Princess Charlotte.
They have the rest of their lives to wear whatever "style" the designers have determined to be current.
Wearing classic children's clothing hasn't hampered Prince Harry. Big smile...

The Duchess of Cambridge today admitted she can't believe how fast her children are growing up.

As she visited a charity helping reformed drug addict mums, Kate admitted time flies being a royal mum.

She told former heroin addict Alison Wright, on a visit to Sheway charity in Vancouver, "They’re doing well."

She added, "I just can’t believe how quickly they’re growing, it’s amazing how the time goes.”
Read more: 'They grow so fast!': Kate speaks of motherhood at a visit to meet recovering drug addicts in Canada | London Evening Standard

We have lots of pictures of little boys in our family dressed in this manner for church and weddings, etc. I always think they look adorable with their little knees. The innocence of childhood. And, I love the little girl dresses for Princess Charlotte.
They have the rest of their lives to wear whatever "style" the designers have determined to be current.
Wearing classic children's clothing hasn't hampered Prince Harry. Big smile...

No it has not!!!!!;) Proof that good sartorial sense can be expected after a wardrobe of classic children's wear has been outgrown.

Hi AdmirerUS, I hope you're getting good coverage/details being close to Canada.

The tour is big news here in Oz.

My Sydney newspaper has three pages of photos from yesterday's arrival.

We have TV reporters there - part of the 500 mentioned by Rudolph - who are crossing back live here.

I'm not sure of the time difference, but they were in the thick of the action on the telly this morning and will probably do the same while things are occurring throughout our daytime news broadcasts.

And on the two main commercial channels that I saw, not just one network doing it.

I really enjoyed your first-hand account Ish.

There's something about a "real" person's view of these things that is more vital than the professional reporter's are able to convey.

Did you take any photos you could share with us?

(Also, I'm a bit shocked married women aren't allowed to take their husband's name.That idea hasn't hit Australia yet. I don't think it would fly here.)

Thanks everyone for your posts, I've enjoyed them all, particularly the Canadians.

(And on the socks/shorts thing - I'm sure there are still plenty of older Australian men who wear this as "smartwear" in various parts of the country. In the hot weather, in sandals. That is socks in sandals - long socks to the knee - shorts, smart shirt, go out to the club for lunch.)

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks Justin Trudeau is kinda hunky?

Did you take any photos you could share with us?

(Also, I'm a bit shocked married women aren't allowed to take their husband's name.That idea hasn't hit Australia yet. I don't think it would fly here.)

I didn't get any pictures myself; the friend I was with is an amateur photographer so I let her take them. I'll try to share when she sends me them.

The married name thing is unique to Quebec - where the follow a mixture of old French civic law and Canadian law. Until the 80s, Quebec women traditionally used their husband's names in daily life, but legally retained their maiden names (which I believe is what is done in France to this day). In the 80s, in the interest of equality, legislature was passed so that "marriage" is not a reason for name change.

It's a law that has been challenged in recent years with the idea that a woman should be able to make the choice if she wants to change her name or not - she shouldn't be required to do either.

I'm not certain if legally Sophie is "Gregorie Trudeau" or just "Gregorie", as the couple has spent most of their married life living in Quebec, but she has been known publicly with both names since Justin Trudeau began his political career.

Am I the only one who thinks Justin Trudeau is kinda hunky?

Nope!

In the election the Conservatives tried to use his age (he's 44) and good looks against him. No joke, his hair was an election issue.

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/7857258

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get any pictures myself; the friend I was with is an amateur photographer so I let her take them. I'll try to share when she sends me them.

The married name thing is unique to Quebec - where the follow a mixture of old French civic law and Canadian law. Until the 80s, Quebec women traditionally used their husband's names in daily life, but legally retained their maiden names (which I believe is what is done in France to this day). In the 80s, in the interest of equality, legislature was passed so that "marriage" is not a reason for name change.

It's a law that has been challenged in recent years with the idea that a woman should be able to make the choice if she wants to change her name or not - she shouldn't be required to do either.

I'm not certain if legally Sophie is "Gregorie Trudeau" or just "Gregorie", as the couple has spent most of their married life living in Quebec, but she has been known publicly with both names since Justin Trudeau began his political career.

Thanks for the follow-up detail Ish. I can see the choice to take, or not take, the husband's name as having general support.

And as with the first hand experience, if you're able to post some photos that would really be appreciated.

I realised when I saw Mary of Denmark here in Sydney in 2011 and 2013, that all the professional photographers are penned together and basically get the same shot.

And they all leave the action early - either to send off their photos or get set up at the next location, ready for the next arrival -

- But the Royals haven't left and other things happen that, if I hadn't been there, I wouldn't have seen, as no-one was photographing it . Must happen all the time.

Enjoyed the anecdote about William's "double" and the crowd.

And we were told on the news last night that it is expected we'll get to see the children two more times. (Though I'm not sure if they meant one of those will be departing Canada.)

So I'm hopeful the reports of George going fishing are true. He's become my favourite Royal - sorry Mary, sorry Catherine.

Last edited:
Thank you Ish, for your on the spot reporting, it makes such a difference. Too bad nobody looked at a map before they planned the trip. Glad they are staying in mostly one place for the children's sake.
Our boys wore shorts and long socks at formal events with Eton collar jackets before they were about 5 years old or so. It is not considered old fashioned in some parts of America, just traditional, like men wearing jackets to church and not wearing jeans.
They are such adorable children, what a gorgeous family. I don't think they have much of a chance of not being tall and slim.

Thanks, Ish
You give a good account of the event. It was nice to see the people of BC and Canada receive the Royal couple in such an enthusiastic manner. Just want to add that it was rather disappointing to see young Hamish(son of the Premier of BC) had his hands glued inside his trouser pockets. From his first appearance on the tarmac to waiting for their car to pull up at the end he seemed to struggle to keep his hands out of his pockets. Surely the youngsters are taught that it is poor manners, especially at such a grand occasion as personally meeting the Royal couple?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

B.C. premier’s son addresses social media backlash following Royal greeting | Globalnews.ca

Hamish Marissen-Clark has spoken about his now infamous hands in the pockets.

B.C. premier’s son addresses social media backlash following Royal greeting | Globalnews.ca

Hamish Marissen-Clark has spoken about his now infamous hands in the pockets.

You know, it's funny. Right now the schools (in Ontario at least) are really focussed on a growth mindset; they've spent the past week teaching the kids that mistakes are a way to learn, not the end of the world.

But any kid who pays attention to the way adults talk about anyone in the public eye is going to know in an instant that we, at most, pay lip service to the idea.

He made a mistake in that he didn't do "the most correct" thing. But people who are too focussed on how it's "bad etiquette" are utterly ignoring the underlying reason we developed the rules of etiquette, which is so that people will feel comfortable.

William and Catherine in no way seemed discomfited by his hands being in his pockets (therefore they handled it exactly correctly), therefore I don't think it's a big deal at all and I don't think he should have to make a national apology. How sad that a once in a lifetime opportunity has been tarnished for that young man.

Also, sign me up for the Justin love. Because, seriously: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/10/21/12/2D99BB9E00000578-3280490-image-a-4_1445427671470.jpg

Last edited:
I've never posted pictures before so I hope this works.

The first shot is of some of the crowd, the second of Justin Trudeau and the GG's wife, Sharon Johnston. Beside Trudeau was his wife, but you can't see her because the officer behind them was blocking the view. The third pic is William and Kate greeting Trudeau and Sophie, the fourth of them greeting Christy Clark and her son. The fifth picture is of the bald man in blue who everyone thought was William (which was one of my favourite parts of the day). The last picture is of William and Kate with the GG.

Attachments

• 14444970_10157461474880693_7271898328485270652_o.jpg
    14444970_10157461474880693_7271898328485270652_o.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 14409570_10157461475010693_9079155199758427294_o.jpg
    14409570_10157461475010693_9079155199758427294_o.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 14444850_10157461475150693_3945188595659646861_o.jpg
    14444850_10157461475150693_3945188595659646861_o.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 14380007_10157461475145693_3764904774755404498_o.jpg
    14380007_10157461475145693_3764904774755404498_o.jpg