The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-16-2016, 08:54 AM
Heir Apparent

I think we all have to wait before making assumption. it is likely that a family photo will be released soon, and the kid will be seen at least in two occasions. But keep in mind that this tour is only a week long.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Canada royal tour itinerary 2016: Dates and details of William, Kate, George and Charlotte's visit - full schedule - Mirror Online

Old 09-17-2016, 04:04 AM
Courtier

Thanks for this eya.

I hope PG is as full of beans in Canada as he was in NZ and Oz.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:59 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It's exciting to know that George and Charlotte's attendance at the tour has been confirmed. It would be lovely if they would release a family photo before the tour, though I hope they are brought to a couple of engagements during the tour too. It will be nice to see how George will find the tour now that he's a bit older and more aware, and also to see Charlotte on her first tour abroad!

The itinerary sounds interesting too and it's nice that they are doing some work with the Syrian refugees.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 09-18-2016, 07:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh Good Grief!! Style "Wars" w/Sophie? Daily Fail strikes again.

I wonder if Michelle Stillwell's at the Rio airport yet... She's one of Canada's most decorated Paralympians & is bringing two more Gold Medals home w/her. However, she's also a Minister in the BC Provincial Government, so she needs to get home to be there for the Visit & fast. Michelle said in her Post Race interview yesterday she does not even want to think about the literal whirlwind the next week will be for her & we did not want to know what time she needed to be at the Airport this morning.

I can only imagine, but oh what a couple of unforgettable weeks for her too. I only hope Michelle's able to enjoy meeting the Cambridges w/out that great big wall of exhaustion, that will at some point, nail her big time. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-19-2016, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Some of the more memorable images of Will and Kate’s last visit to Canada in 2011 were from Calgary, where the couple was presented with gleaming white cowboy hats which they wore with style and panache.

Made of snowy rabbit fur felt, the hats were custom-made for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge by Brian Hanson of Smithbilt Hats. While they were just two of many hats the couple received during their visit, according to the St. James’s Palace list of gifts, they represented Cowtown aptly.

With the itinerary for their upcoming tour to British Columbia and the Yukon now revealed, what new gifts could be in store for the Royal couple? CTVNews.ca has compiled some ideas, based on the cities, towns and communities which will play host to the royals between Sept. 24 and Oct. 1.
Read more: Gift ideas for the Royal Family on their tours of B.C. and Yukon | CTV News
Old 09-19-2016, 10:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Those are good choices.
If it was me, I'd want the Whitehorse jewelry or the fur slippers, but the entire list is rather nice.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Isn't it the goal for all ivory trade to be banned? The thinking that ivory is difficult to ID and that it becomes too easy to ship endangered species ivory under the guise of non-endangered species or antique ivory.
In the states, it legal for indigenous people to harvest/use/trade small amounts of walrus tusk ivory. But, the problem comes in when one has to ship it out of country.

I love those ivory/lapis earrings, but I think the Cambridges would have to work hard to obtain a permit to get them home. It might not be worth the political capital.

More on ivory trade at this interesting piece about piano keys: https://youtu.be/B7HkiRh_Jjs
Old 09-19-2016, 12:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post

I love those ivory/lapis earrings, but I think the Cambridges would have to work hard to obtain a permit to get them home. It might not be worth the political capital.

Are they ivory?
I thought the article said they were white cedar?
Old 09-19-2016, 01:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The royal visit to British Columbia and Yukon will include lessons on reconciliation, a Victoria artist hopes.

Kwagiulth artist Carey Newman will show the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge the Witness Blanket he made to tell of the trauma experienced by residential school survivors.

The Witness Blanket has been touring the country since January but will be on display at Government House in Victoria for the visit.

"It's about honouring residential school survivors and it's also about driving the conversation about reconciliation and using any chance that I get to help people understand what happened at residential schools," Newman told All Points West host Robyn Burns.
Read more: Reconciliation and the royals: William and Kate to view Witness Blanket - British Columbia - CBC News
Old 09-19-2016, 01:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Are they ivory?
I thought the article said they were white cedar?

The box is made of white cedar.

The earrings are made of mammoth ivory. Which is slightly different form some other forms of ivory in that no animal was... Okay, well maybe it's a stretch to say no animal was harmed, but not by traditional means - the tusks are from mammoths that died 10,000 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Isn't it the goal for all ivory trade to be banned? The thinking that ivory is difficult to ID and that it becomes too easy to ship endangered species ivory under the guise of non-endangered species or antique ivory.
In the states, it legal for indigenous people to harvest/use/trade small amounts of walrus tusk ivory. But, the problem comes in when one has to ship it out of country.

More on ivory trade at this interesting piece about piano keys: https://youtu.be/B7HkiRh_Jjs

I don't believe you need a permit to transport mammoth ivory, and that's where it becomes a problem with Conservationists - it's not easily differentiated from elephant ivory and doesn't need the documentation that elephant ivory requires, so it's easy for poachers to disguise elephant as mammoth ivory when transporting.

I would think that anything with ivory in it would be a bad present for the Cambridges because of William's vocal opposition to the elephant ivory trade - mostly because people aren't going to get that there is a distinction between elephant ivory and mammoth ivory (primarily how it's obtained). People will assume that the ivory earrings are made from the same ivory that William is vocally opposed to.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Royal etiquette 101: What to do when meeting the Duke and Duchess | CTV News
Old 09-20-2016, 02:32 PM
Courtier

"But giant teddy bears, homemade presents or tacky framed photos are best avoided, he added. He says Prince George and Princess Charlotte have more than enough toys and the Duke and Duchesses are often embarrassed by the amount of gifts they receive during their public visits."

Does William have additional wives we don't know about?

I think it is kind of funny that an article about etiquette got title wrong.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Enthusiastic anticipation is growing for the Victoria visit of Prince William and his wife Kate in the belief the event will go a long way to boost the region’s economy and to the largely dormant tourism industry during the traditionally quiet “shoulder season” following the summer influx of tourists.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will be in Victoria between Sept. 24 and Oct. 1 and, although they are visiting other B.C. locations during the period, it’s anticipated their time in Victoria will be the focus of their visit. The Queen’s home away from home, Government House will be the temporary home for the royal visit.

Trina Mousseau, chief marketing officer with Tourism Victoria, expects the visit to have a substantial impact on the economy of the city.
Read more: BCLocalNews.com - Economic impact of royal visit expected to be significant

Quote:
The silverware at Government House in Victoria, B.C., is getting extra special attention in preparation for Saturday's arrival of royal guests.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their young children, Prince George and Princess Charlotte, will spend eight days touring British Columbia and Yukon, and the official residence of the lieutenant-governor will be their home base.

Government House spokeswoman Thandi Williams says preparations include making plans to entertain the young prince and princess while their parents undertake official duties in Vancouver, Bella Bella and Whitehorse.
Government House polishes silver, stocks kitchen in preparation for royal visit | Metro News
Old 09-21-2016, 02:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince George and Princess Charlotte will get a very cute surprise when they arrive in Canada - Mirror Online
Old 09-21-2016, 02:22 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
How sweet. One can't go wrong with rubber duckies.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-21-2016, 10:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The screams were deafening.

It was March 24, 1998, and hundreds of teenage girls were crammed behind barriers outside a suburban Vancouver high school. The girls weren't squealing for the Backstreet Boys or Leonardo DiCaprio -- they were there to see a real-life prince.

"You thought it was a rock star coming," said Monika Vriend, former business services co-ordinator for Burnaby South Secondary School, recalling the day that Prince William visited.

"Like back in the day when the Beatles came through, people were just going crazy and swooning and couldn't believe their own eyes that the princes were there."

The frenzied female reaction to William, then 15, during his 1998 vacation with his father and brother, Prince Harry, cemented his status as a teen heartthrob. Canadians' warm welcome also undoubtedly comforted him on his first official trip abroad after his mother's death, royal watchers say.

So when William returns to British Columbia on Saturday for a week-long visit with his wife and two young children, observers say it will be a homecoming of sorts after his star power was proven in the province two decades ago.

"Prince William was the original One Direction," said Keith Roy, Western Canadian spokesman for the Monarchist League of Canada, referring to the British-based boy band.
Read more: Prince William's visit to B.C. draws memories of frenzied 1998 trip | CTV News
Old 09-21-2016, 11:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Rachel Riley predicts what Prince George and Princess Charlotte will wear in Canada* | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-22-2016, 10:15 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Will we get to see departure pictures at London - the last time they went on a tour of Canada and the Canadian Airforce place picked them up we saw an official departure from London Heathrow?