The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-22-2016, 01:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Last time they were mostly back easy though. There are significantly fewer Air Force bases in BC than in Ontario.

Didn't they use municipal airports instead of Air Force Bases? I would think that PEI would not have an Air Force base. There where several stories about them using the Canadian version of Air Force One which was very basic compared to the US plane. It picked them up at Heathrow and dropped them off at LAX.

Even in Australia and NZ, the Air Forces of the country did all the internal transporting.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 08-22-2016, 01:49 PM
Royal Highness

In a trip to BC and the Yukon, it makes sense that the environment and indigenous culture should be the highlights. An 8-day tour is very short though for such a long trip from the UK.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

I guess TRH's will probably conduct a reception for the press before their trip. I think they did before their Australian trip.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-22-2016, 02:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, smaller private air strips used when needed.

PEI's airforce base was closed in 1991. But Summerside is still used as a private air strip. SAR operations including sea kings, have used it since it went private. There are 2 active in Newfoundland and 1 in Nova Scotia.

In BC, Air force there is 1 in Comox. Comox is on Vancouver Island, 3 hours north of Victoria. There is a naval base closer in Esquimalt but I don't believe it has landing facilities. They are the only bases in BC still in use.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:38 PM
Aristocracy

Daily Fail is reporting they'll fly into Victoria, not Vancouver. Victoria is ON Vancouver Island, but it's a short plane ride (small plane) or ferry ride from Vancouver itself. A small detail, but easy to get mixed up. If Victoria is their base, that makes sense as it is on an island and security would probably be easier. Plus Victoria is lovely and has some elements of quaintness, whereas Vancouver is a huge huge city. Victoria is better for the kids! I'm excited because I'm very familiar with Victoria, it's my favorite vacation spot. Saw the Queen there a few years ago. May have to make a reservation!
Old 08-22-2016, 02:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - Autumn 2016

Funny as how all the Royal reporters prior to release of dates and places said they were flying into Vancouver. The chick from the Sun even boasts on her Twitter today-as I predicted earlier the Cambridges will fly into Victoria on Sept 24. But if you scroll back a couple of weeks she said Vancouver in the initial tweet. So no you didn't predict. 😙

Old 08-22-2016, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Victoria is the capital, and it makes sense that's where the official welcome will occur.

The couple are staying at Government House, the official residence of the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia
Old 08-23-2016, 12:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebaby View Post
Daily Fail is reporting they'll fly into Victoria, not Vancouver. Victoria is ON Vancouver Island, but it's a short plane ride (small plane) or ferry ride from Vancouver itself. A small detail, but easy to get mixed up. If Victoria is their base, that makes sense as it is on an island and security would probably be easier. Plus Victoria is lovely and has some elements of quaintness, whereas Vancouver is a huge huge city. Victoria is better for the kids! I'm excited because I'm very familiar with Victoria, it's my favorite vacation spot. Saw the Queen there a few years ago. May have to make a reservation!
I doubt it was a "mixup" so much as a bad guess. Vancouver and Victoria are two logical places for them to fly into - Victoria is the capital and all the official houses are there, but Vancouver is the major city in BC and where the main airport is - Vancouver International Airport is actually one of the busiest airports in the country, second only to Toronto Pearson International.

That said, I'm not sure how being on an island makes Victoria easier for security (especially given as the Cambridges come from London, which has twice as many people living in it as all of BC).
Old 08-23-2016, 01:17 AM
Heir Apparent

I would think the Government House in Victoria which already has probably some built in protection devices would be easier to secure than a suite of rooms of a hotel in Vancouver.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:19 AM
Heir Apparent

WATCH: Prince William and Kate, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, are coming to Victoria on a royal tour in September and as Tess van Straaten tells us, excitement is already building.

Royal Fever! William & Kate coming to Victoria on royal tour | CHEK
Old 08-23-2016, 10:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I would think the Government House in Victoria which already has probably some built in protection devices would be easier to secure than a suite of rooms of a hotel in Vancouver.

I agree. Being the province's capital and, therefore, the seat of Government House, Victoria would be more suitable for the Cambridges as a base. Both Victoria and Vancouver are lovely cities though . Vancouver BTW has just been named by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EiU) the 3rd "most livable city" in the world in 2016, behind only Melbourne and Vienna.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:54 AM
Nobility

I've been looking over the itinerary with interest since I did a road trip through the Yukon last year. Carcross struck me as a very interesting little town with ties to the first miners to strike gold in the Klondike Gold Rush. We did a lunch break there before driving to Whitehorse to stay for the night. I would not be surprised if the duke and duchess do photo stops at Emerald Lake and possibly Miles Canyon if time allows. I was a bit disappointed that Dawson City didn't make their itinerary. But that is a very long drive out with not much infrastructure along the way, plus it's more of a historical site that doesn't quite fit with their environmental agenda.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince William and Kate Middleton's Canada Tour Entourage : People.com
Old 09-08-2016, 12:01 PM
Heir Apparent

"Kelowna woman to cover royal B.C. visit for U.K. website"

https://t.co/BvZDNwESM7
Old 09-10-2016, 08:06 AM
Aristocracy

Has there been anything further on the Canadian tour and the speculation that George and Charlotte will join them ?

Initial reaction from me is not. George was only 8 months old during his first tour so easy enough to handle; a three year and 16 month year old! not so much! Unless kept out of the picure most of the time. So what's the fun - or point - in that?
Old 09-10-2016, 08:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 6: January 2014

Specific itinerary details is expected early next week.

George can join in more thing with his parents now. Charlotte can participate in a play date with Canadians kids like George did in NZ. They can gear things for the whole family to do like plant a tree in government house in Victoria, meet the Mounties, etc.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
Has there been anything further on the Canadian tour and the speculation that George and Charlotte will join them ?

Initial reaction from me is not. George was only 8 months old during his first tour so easy enough to handle; a three year and 16 month year old! not so much! Unless kept out of the picure most of the time. So what's the fun - or point - in that?
The point is that the Cambridges can't bear separation from their children. IMO

Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-10-2016, 08:46 PM
Serene Highness

well they'll have to get used to it. They wont be able to have them with them all the time...
Old 09-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Things will be different I think once the kids all reach full time school age. Right now with being so young, their parents and being a family is their entire world. George is branching out a bit with preschool but not Charlotte.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-10-2016, 10:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
well they'll have to get used to it. They wont be able to have them with them all the time...
Of course not, but they certainly don't wish to be 5000 miles away from their toddlers for a week. Understandable. The tour of India was very difficult for them.

Abraham Lincoln