Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - Sept 24-Oct 1, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last time they were mostly back easy though. There are significantly fewer Air Force bases in BC than in Ontario.

Didn't they use municipal airports instead of Air Force Bases? I would think that PEI would not have an Air Force base. There where several stories about them using the Canadian version of Air Force One which was very basic compared to the US plane. It picked them up at Heathrow and dropped them off at LAX.

Even in Australia and NZ, the Air Forces of the country did all the internal transporting.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I guess TRH's will probably conduct a reception for the press before their trip. I think they did before their Australian trip.

Yes, smaller private air strips used when needed.

PEI's airforce base was closed in 1991. But Summerside is still used as a private air strip. SAR operations including sea kings, have used it since it went private. There are 2 active in Newfoundland and 1 in Nova Scotia.

In BC, Air force there is 1 in Comox. Comox is on Vancouver Island, 3 hours north of Victoria. There is a naval base closer in Esquimalt but I don't believe it has landing facilities. They are the only bases in BC still in use.

Daily Fail is reporting they'll fly into Victoria, not Vancouver. Victoria is ON Vancouver Island, but it's a short plane ride (small plane) or ferry ride from Vancouver itself. A small detail, but easy to get mixed up. If Victoria is their base, that makes sense as it is on an island and security would probably be easier. Plus Victoria is lovely and has some elements of quaintness, whereas Vancouver is a huge huge city. Victoria is better for the kids! I'm excited because I'm very familiar with Victoria, it's my favorite vacation spot. Saw the Queen there a few years ago. May have to make a reservation!

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - Autumn 2016

Funny as how all the Royal reporters prior to release of dates and places said they were flying into Vancouver. The chick from the Sun even boasts on her Twitter today-as I predicted earlier the Cambridges will fly into Victoria on Sept 24. But if you scroll back a couple of weeks she said Vancouver in the initial tweet. So no you didn't predict. ?

Victoria is the capital, and it makes sense that's where the official welcome will occur.

The couple are staying at Government House, the official residence of the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia

Daily Fail is reporting they'll fly into Victoria, not Vancouver. Victoria is ON Vancouver Island, but it's a short plane ride (small plane) or ferry ride from Vancouver itself. A small detail, but easy to get mixed up. If Victoria is their base, that makes sense as it is on an island and security would probably be easier. Plus Victoria is lovely and has some elements of quaintness, whereas Vancouver is a huge huge city. Victoria is better for the kids! I'm excited because I'm very familiar with Victoria, it's my favorite vacation spot. Saw the Queen there a few years ago. May have to make a reservation!

I doubt it was a "mixup" so much as a bad guess. Vancouver and Victoria are two logical places for them to fly into - Victoria is the capital and all the official houses are there, but Vancouver is the major city in BC and where the main airport is - Vancouver International Airport is actually one of the busiest airports in the country, second only to Toronto Pearson International.

That said, I'm not sure how being on an island makes Victoria easier for security (especially given as the Cambridges come from London, which has twice as many people living in it as all of BC).

I would think the Government House in Victoria which already has probably some built in protection devices would be easier to secure than a suite of rooms of a hotel in Vancouver.

I would think the Government House in Victoria which already has probably some built in protection devices would be easier to secure than a suite of rooms of a hotel in Vancouver.

I agree. Being the province's capital and, therefore, the seat of Government House, Victoria would be more suitable for the Cambridges as a base. Both Victoria and Vancouver are lovely cities though . Vancouver BTW has just been named by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EiU) the 3rd "most livable city" in the world in 2016, behind only Melbourne and Vienna.

I've been looking over the itinerary with interest since I did a road trip through the Yukon last year. Carcross struck me as a very interesting little town with ties to the first miners to strike gold in the Klondike Gold Rush. We did a lunch break there before driving to Whitehorse to stay for the night. I would not be surprised if the duke and duchess do photo stops at Emerald Lake and possibly Miles Canyon if time allows. I was a bit disappointed that Dawson City didn't make their itinerary. But that is a very long drive out with not much infrastructure along the way, plus it's more of a historical site that doesn't quite fit with their environmental agenda.

Has there been anything further on the Canadian tour and the speculation that George and Charlotte will join them ?

Initial reaction from me is not. George was only 8 months old during his first tour so easy enough to handle; a three year and 16 month year old! not so much! Unless kept out of the picure most of the time. So what's the fun - or point - in that?

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 6: January 2014

Specific itinerary details is expected early next week.

George can join in more thing with his parents now. Charlotte can participate in a play date with Canadians kids like George did in NZ. They can gear things for the whole family to do like plant a tree in government house in Victoria, meet the Mounties, etc.

Last edited:
Has there been anything further on the Canadian tour and the speculation that George and Charlotte will join them ?

Initial reaction from me is not. George was only 8 months old during his first tour so easy enough to handle; a three year and 16 month year old! not so much! Unless kept out of the picure most of the time. So what's the fun - or point - in that?

The point is that the Cambridges can't bear separation from their children. IMO

well they'll have to get used to it. They wont be able to have them with them all the time...

Things will be different I think once the kids all reach full time school age. Right now with being so young, their parents and being a family is their entire world. George is branching out a bit with preschool but not Charlotte.

well they'll have to get used to it. They wont be able to have them with them all the time...

Of course not, but they certainly don't wish to be 5000 miles away from their toddlers for a week. Understandable. The tour of India was very difficult for them.

Has there been any confirmation (yes or no) as to if the young royals will be joining their parents on the Canadian tour this month?

Has there been any confirmation (yes or no) as to if the young royals will be joining their parents on the Canadian tour this month?

Not yet. There will probably be and official statement closer to the tour.

The Crown in Canada ‏@TheCrownCa
The complete itinerary for the Sept. 24–Oct. 1 #RoyalTour of The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge will be available tomorrow!

royal.uk Further details of The Duke and Duchess's tour to Canada

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal The Duke & Duchess, Prince George & Princess Charlotte will arrive into Victoria Canada on 24 Sept #RoyalVisitCanada

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal TRH will spend their first full day of #RoyalVisitCanada in Vancouver, visiting a number of the city's important projects and organisations.

The Crown in Canada ‏@TheCrownCa Find out the full itinerary for the #RoyalTour of The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge. http://ow.ly/nfLo3043GLs

Last edited:
The visit is getting close now,looking forward to see the Cambridge family in Canada!

So George and Charlotte are confirmed. Victoria is home base and there is one overnight stay.
The 29th is an obvious family event. Any ideas on if/what the children might also be helping to do? On the sly, maybe Top 5 “Hands-On” Vancouver Museums for Kids | Inside Vancouver Blog thought I doubt it.
I envy them this trip! Such a beautiful and enchanting itinerary while having some real content as well.
And looking to the weather, Whitehorse looks to be just under ten degrees and a mix of sun and clouds while they will be there. Carcross has a rainy-er forecast.
Bella Bella may be warmer by 5 degrees, but, being rain forest, likely will be wetish.
Kelowna: Warmer yet and a good chance of sun.
Haida Gwaii looks to be in the low teens. None to spotty rain (Haida Gwaii actually merits a beach forecast), though I suppose it will depend on the day and the location in the area.
And this time of year Victoria/Vancouver will be in the upper teens and mostly sunny. Enjoyable for the children!
I kinda can't wait!

Great Bear Rainforest to receive special designation

As part of their upcoming Royal Tour, Their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will officially endorse the Great Bear Rainforest under The Queen’s Commonwealth Canopy initiative, Premier Christy Clark confirmed today.

The Great Bear Rainforest was originally established through land-use decisions first announced in 2006. Earlier this year, after extensive discussions with First Nations and stakeholders, a final ecosystem-based management system was agreed to and additional new areas will be protected.
Read more: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2016PREM0099-001666

royal.uk Further details of The Duke and Duchess's tour to Canada

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal The Duke & Duchess, Prince George & Princess Charlotte will arrive into Victoria Canada on 24 Sept #RoyalVisitCanada

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal TRH will spend their first full day of #RoyalVisitCanada in Vancouver, visiting a number of the city's important projects and organisations.

The Crown in Canada ‏@TheCrownCa Find out the full itinerary for the #RoyalTour of The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge. http://ow.ly/nfLo3043GLs

It is nice the Kensington Palace site reminded us that Canada is "the largest Commonwealth realm", or, as I would put it, the "jewel of the Crown" outside the British Isles (with Australia, of course, being a close second). It is not surprising that the British Royal Family takes their ties to Canada very seriously and, accordingly, Canada gets so many royal tours compared to other realms.

Canada is the oldest realm outside of the Isles and has always been very supportive of it's monarchy.

“Canada made us!”, King Geroge VI and Queen Elizabeth both said on many occasions about their great 1939 tour of Canada.

The tour was the first major undertaking of their reign. Making it a success schooled them in the practice of monarchy.

Princess Anna has already visited this year as did Edward and Sophie for DoE Awards.

The Duke of Kent will make a visit this month in regards to a military regiment. We see our fair share of royals, after all, their our family as well

Last edited:
So George and Charlotte are confirmed. Victoria is home base and there is one overnight stay.
The 29th is an obvious family event. Any ideas on if/what the children might also be helping to do? On the sly, maybe Top 5 “Hands-On” Vancouver Museums for Kids | Inside Vancouver Blog thought I doubt it.
I envy them this trip! Such a beautiful and enchanting itinerary while having some real content as well.
And looking to the weather, Whitehorse looks to be just under ten degrees and a mix of sun and clouds while they will be there. Carcross has a rainy-er forecast.
Bella Bella may be warmer by 5 degrees, but, being rain forest, likely will be wetish.
Kelowna: Warmer yet and a good chance of sun.
Haida Gwaii looks to be in the low teens. None to spotty rain (Haida Gwaii actually merits a beach forecast), though I suppose it will depend on the day and the location in the area.
And this time of year Victoria/Vancouver will be in the upper teens and mostly sunny. Enjoyable for the children!
I kinda can't wait!

September in the Pacific NW is usually beautiful weather. Looking at the 10-day forecast for the Portland metro area (which is about 6 hours south of Vancouver BC), we are expecting highs in the low 70s and partly cloudy/sunny days next week. Hopefully the clouds will clear out and give them some of our fabulous early fall sunshine. This is the time of year that makes me love living in the PNW.

September in the Pacific NW is usually beautiful weather. Looking at the 10-day forecast for the Portland metro area (which is about 6 hours south of Vancouver BC), we are expecting highs in the low 70s and partly cloudy/sunny days next week. Hopefully the clouds will clear out and give them some of our fabulous early fall sunshine. This is the time of year that makes me love living in the PNW.

Yet in Vancouver, it's expected to rain all next week. We don't get as much rain as we do in October/November/December/January, but it's still typically more than the rest of the year, especially by month's end.

Here are five spots the royals will visit during their Vancouver stop on Sunday, Sept. 25 (itinerary times have not been released):

My brother works at Kitsilano Coast Guard Station, so he hopes to get a glimpse.

Royal Tour: Five places to spot Prince William and Kate during their Vancouver visit | Vancouver Sun

BC Children’s Hospital is thrilled to be included in the upcoming Royal Tour. On October 1, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will meet with hospital representatives as well as patients and families to discuss child and youth mental health; an area of importance for the Duchess and where she continues to do a great deal of charity work.
Read more: BC Children’s to meet with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom