The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-02-2016, 04:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
There is no doubt that George and Charlotte stole the show on this royal tour .

From Charlotte bashing balloons in delight and bouncing on a dog, to George blowing bubbles and refusing the Canadian Prime Minister a high five, they ensured the trip was so much more than a series of polite and repetitive photo calls.

...there can be no doubt that the interest in their visit and the worldwide attention it brought is on a scale not commanded by many other public figures - and certainly not by William's father Charles.

If William, Kate and their children continue to have this impact, it's hard to see the monarchy going anywhere - except on more official visits.
Read more: Young royals that wowed Canada are the key to the future of the monarchy - Victoria Murphy - Mirror Online

Old 10-02-2016, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

How was the PM focused on his agenda by simply wanting to acknowledge George and shake his hand? The Governor General shook the prince's hand too. Did he have an agenda then?
As a father of three, including a toddler, I'm sure he knows how to handle children. You might remember that his youngest gave Barak Obama a high five in the White House when the family visited Washington in the summer. As pointed out by others, maybe high fives are just a North American thing.
And Trudeau has plenty of personal experience with this sort of thing, meeting and shaking hands with world leaders as a small child himself when his own father was PM. I'm sure he was being nothing but friendly.

ps...I mean to quote your post Daria, but hit the edit button instead by mistake, sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
This is an excellent post. Many adults, when dealing with children, forget to take cues from them. The Canadian PM was so focused on his own agenda, that he didn't even bother to notice that George may be feeling, exhausted after a long flight, overwhelmed by all the new people and cameras, or both. I don't think it's bad manners that George didn't high-five, or shake Mr. Trudeau's hand. He was trying to find his bearings in a new situation. Sometimes that takes precedence over manner, especially for a young child. You're absolutely right; when children don't appear to be engaging with an adult, it's best for the adult to move away and come back when the child is more comfortable. There's no need to force the interaction. As a teacher, I experience this on daily basis, so it's almost like second nature when it comes to reading children. William and Catherine know their children and I'm sure basic manners are taught, practiced and encouraged. The incident at the party, when William instructed George to pet the pony before getting off, tells me that George is expected to act polite when in public. He, along with his sister are not being raised like cave people.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 10-02-2016, 04:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

This was an odd video posting by KP indeed-

Kensington Palace is blasted over its 'creepy' Canada video montage | Daily Mail Online

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-02-2016, 05:05 PM
Heir Apparent

It's has a Canada logo end credit maybe it was something that came from Canada's end instead of something in house from KP.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

It's a Department of Canadian Heritage video done for KP. It's videos are usually much better. I posted some earlier in the tour.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

The music sounded like death and the video was dark. Poorly made, IMO.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-02-2016, 05:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
wow, it is so interesting that all this took place yet there were no pictures. my guess is that the press was under clear instructions not to take or publish any pictures of george and charlotte out and about with their nanny (not those with their parents that were part of the official agenda for the tour, of course).

shame to hear they won't be repeating a tour as a family anytime soon but i can understand the decision.

Local media apparently reported seeing them on Willow Beach carlota - a long, sandy, white beach - but photos weren't taken it's thought.

A few twitter accounts posted about the trip to the animal park - but again not photographed.

I think the Royal reporters may have known things, but held back until the end of the Tour.

I loved the flight anecdote Rudolph. What a stimulating childhood George is having.

There were quotes from Paul the balloon man about how George asked for a volcano, and told him "that's lava". Paul hadn't made a volcano before.

Charlotte got a monkey in a tree as well as a flower, and George got his requested volcano along with the spider.

These little snippets/first-hand accounts are great.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

The Royal press pack was occupied by William and Kate plus the press was staying in Vancouver not Victoria to make the travel easier so they didn't really have time to stalk the kids.

In the live feed of the youth leader meeting, you could see the Mirror's Victoria Murphy basically following behind the royals talking to the people that they just talked to. Seaplane pilot, balloon guy, bubble girl all got interviewed.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Aristocracy

Not seen the video, so no comment there. As for George and Charlotte ? Two little kids, while cute, aren't likely to change the state of a nation! Please!
Old 10-02-2016, 09:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post

Wow! The "Daily Mail/Mail Online" is quoting a member - who may have now possibly left - of The Royal Forums - (Cepe), in that article.

I've seen a popular Royal forum/blog named in a couple of different magazine articles in Australia about Denmark's Mary and Frederik.

I'm a bit amazed at how tight the circle is getting between the mainstream professional media and the Royal watchers/fans.

And that series of photos of George with his nose squished against the plane's windows must be amongst his best.

P.S. I've just seen a photo of Charlotte on one of the ponies at the children's party.

William said - when asked if they had their own pony at home - "not yet".
Old 10-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
It's a Department of Canadian Heritage video done for KP. It's videos are usually much better. I posted some earlier in the tour.
Looking through Canadian Heritage's videos I can't say I agree. If you can make ice sculpture carving seem vaguely dreary, you may not actually be great at producing effective videos.

Their video of the first day of the trip was hilarious, though; from the clip selections and the music, you'd think the waiting reporters were prepared for Putin to step off the plane.

I suspect they rely heavily on public domain music, because that's the only rational explanation I can find for their inexplicable choices otherwise.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
How was the PM focused on his agenda by simply wanting to acknowledge George and shake his hand? The Governor General shook the prince's hand too. Did he have an agenda then?
As a father of three, including a toddler, I'm sure he knows how to handle children. You might remember that his youngest gave Barak Obama a high five in the White House when the family visited Washington in the summer. As pointed out by others, maybe high fives are just a North American thing.
And Trudeau has plenty of personal experience with this sort of thing, meeting and shaking hands with world leaders as a small child himself when his own father was PM. I'm sure he was being nothing but friendly.

ps...I mean to quote your post Daria, but hit the edit button instead by mistake, sorry about that.
Ha, just because he is a father of three doesn't mean he knowable how to deal with children. No, we don't remember his youngest east giving our president a high five, perhaps that is only a North American thing. Anyway his intentions t .are I guess what we are talking about. Yes, I do believe he was more interested in the impression he was making than making a three year old comfortable
Old 10-03-2016, 12:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
How was the PM focused on his agenda by simply wanting to acknowledge George and shake his hand?

Justin only wanted the photo op. That's all he was interested in.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:14 AM
Heir Apparent

President Obama is pretty great with little kids. Him high fiving Trudeau's youngest may be more about Obama's skill than Justin Trudeau's parenting expertise. Compare the GG handshake to the PM's attempt. The GG was engaging both William and George and George shook his hand after William encouraged him. The PM tried to interact with George solo.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:25 AM
Commoner

As a little girl, I was very awkward with shaking hands. I could never get the right hand out. Turns out I am very strongly left-handed. George seems to be a righty, but young kids sometimes have trouble crossing the midline of their bodies and get confused about shaking hands. Sometimes they get it, and the next time they don't.

I thought he was remarkably polite and patient for a 3 year old. His parents and nanny seem to be doing a great job. And William has a nice, firm grip on George's hand! W&K have 2 very cute children.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:24 AM
Serene Highness

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but what happened after they took off in that water plane in Victoria harbour? Where did the ducal family change into the plane for their final departure to Britain?
Old 10-03-2016, 08:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Looking through Canadian Heritage's videos I can't say I agree. If you can make ice sculpture carving seem vaguely dreary, you may not actually be great at producing effective videos.

Their video of the first day of the trip was hilarious, though; from the clip selections and the music, you'd think the waiting reporters were prepared for Putin to step off the plane.

I suspect they rely heavily on public domain music, because that's the only rational explanation I can find for their inexplicable choices otherwise.
Yeah I just went back and had another look. I didn't notice the other videos from Heritage Canada are slow motion with odd music as well

I guess because this one is dark it stands our more. Not great videos from the Canadian government.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but what happened after they took off in that water plane in Victoria harbour? Where did the ducal family change into the plane for their final departure to Britain?

I assume the military base where they arrived coming from the U.K. Victoria is on a island. The Canadian RAF would have flown them back home.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Wow! The "Daily Mail/Mail Online" is quoting a member - who may have now possibly left - of The Royal Forums - (Cepe), in that article.

I've seen a popular Royal forum/blog named in a couple of different magazine articles in Australia about Denmark's Mary and Frederik.

I'm a bit amazed at how tight the circle is getting between the mainstream professional media and the Royal watchers/fans.

And that series of photos of George with his nose squished against the plane's windows must be amongst his best.

P.S. I've just seen a photo of Charlotte on one of the ponies at the children's party.

William said - when asked if they had their own pony at home - "not yet".
Because the royal watchers, especially on the more serious fora, tend to be much more well informed than the average journalist?
Old 10-03-2016, 09:38 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Evidently Victoria Airport (which does have a seaplane terminal near it).

Prince George turned pilot as the royals left Canada and announced: "I'm going to fly us to England" - Mirror Online

"And once the family landed at Victoria Airport the prince got the chance to go into the cockpit where he pretended to fly."