The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-02-2016, 07:13 AM
Majesty

Ah, come on.

Children aged three or four can easily be taught basic manners. If they can learn to say hi, or goodbye to the bus-driver, they can also learn to shake hands.

My point is merely that it's good to teach children basic manners from as early on as possible. Especially royal children.
At that age they don't think about whether it's weird or not, they just do it, if it's normal to them.

And all children will do the opposite of what is expected of them from time to time, due to them being shy, feeling awkward or just being contrary. That's a phase, and it'll pass. Charlotte and George will do that as well at some point.
And no one is expecting them to have impeccable manners at that age.

It's learning by doing and that's why I think it's good the children are brought with W&K on the job.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:23 AM
Heir Apparent

I thoroughly enjoyed the visit. Global TV and CTV did a brilliant job live streaming the events.

Quote:
They have clearly been practising their Royal waves.

Prince George and Princess Charlotte were the picture of professionalism as they bade goodbye as their first overseas tour together came to an end.

The two children, aged three and 16 months, waved to enchanted crowds as they toddled through Victoria harbour and onto their waiting sea-plane.

Their parents, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, took care of the formalities, thanking Canadian dignitaries as the clearly excited children took in the final moments of their eight-day tour.
Read more: Prince George and Princess Charlotte steal Canadian hearts as they wave goodbye to the crowds as the royal tour ends*

Old 10-02-2016, 08:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
You are talking about two children under the age of four, one under the age of two, exposed to flashing cameras (which we don't see remember!) and all the other fanfare - they did a good job all by themselves!

I think William and Kate handled it very well, not forcing anything on them. Let the Grown Ups get over it!

That´s what I mean: Not forcing, or ather "demanding", anything on children is great these days...
Actually it´s not about "forcing", it´s rather to exemplify something to children who cannot know better because they are too young. On the one hand we criticize since years that good manners and behaviour is succeedingly fading, people are more and more consumed with themselves etc., while on the other hand we do nothing to stop it where it all starts: In the education and how kids are brought up and what values are conveyed to them.
My criticism is not on George, it´s about William and Catherine (who I like a lot and who again did a great job for the crown these days!), just not noticing their son´s refusal to shake hands with a person who friendly want to make contact to you. It doesn´t matter how often we´ve seen this - I thought this straightway watching the scene with Justin Trudeau.

And that "training" proposal, when nobody´s around, from a fellow poster from Sweden is nonsense: Sitting in Kensington Palace and practising how to shake hands wth people one does not know? Come on! Learning by doing is still the most easy and natural thing to deal with it.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Now we're nitpicking toddlers...

George gets a pass from me with Justin Trudeau. He just got off an air plane after a 9 hour flight. He looked half asleep (it was midnight in the UK)

He did shake hands with the Governor General.

I hope George never learns to 'high-five'. It's ridiculous thing to do. A proper handshake is all that's required.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:11 AM
Courtier

So because William and Catherine didn't choose to ignore the people they were talking and shaking hand to to focus if George took Trudeau hand or not, it makes them awful parents that isn't teaching their kids manners?
So they should practice bad manners when teaching George the manners of a handshake?
Yeah George would learn a lot from that.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
... My criticism is not on George, it´s about William and Catherine (who I like a lot and who again did a great job for the crown these days!), just not noticing their son´s refusal to shake hands with a person who friendly want to make contact to you. It doesn´t matter how often we´ve seen this - I thought this straightway watching the scene with Justin Trudeau.
Well, Trudeau is also an adult meeting a new little person for the first time in a situation that might stress most of us, much less a little person. And I take issue with him putting George in a situation where as a little tired boy, it was 50:50 at best that he would "perform" as expected. He was using that kid to get a great photo (if it succeeded).
As an adult - when I meet little people I don't push myself on them. I let them welcome me or I let them be all shy. I don't expect a handshake, a high five or even a smile. When I see them avoiding eye contact I back off. It's simple adult good manners. Because kids, even royal kids, get a mulligan on this at this age.
My mother raised us with impeccable manners in meeting strangers - but even she understood we would have moments. And as long as we were shy, rather than brats, she supported us and made us feel safe.
I'd also point out, in a modern world, we tell children over and over about stranger danger. The days when we should encourage children to show immediate friendship with strangers is long gone.
Children eventually get to an age where they can understand the difference between meeting people in a diplomatic situation and meeting all people that come up to you. I have no doubt that the Cambridges have a plan to teach their children about this. In their own time.
Until then, perhaps Trudeau will rethink how he greets shy, tired children with a thousand cameras going off all around.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Catherine looked great on the tour. The wardrobe expense? She's the future Queen touring the realms, she have to look good despite the expense.

George did well on this tour. He's a little shy, but he will out grow it over time. He's a brilliant Royal waver though. He lights up w hen around crowds. Charlotte stole the show though. She's a funny little kid. One can see how William and Catherine gets lots of exercise running and playing with their kids.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Heir Apparent

I couldn't keep up with the tour, but I followed the events where the kids were part of it. George and Charlotte have completely different personalities imo, and Charlotte is such a curious and quiet little girl! .

Don't mind what Kate and William were up to, but without the children, this tour would not have been the same.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I couldn't keep up with the tour, but I followed the events where the kids were part of it. George and Charlotte have completely different personalities imo, and Charlotte is such a curious and quiet little girl! .

Don't mind what Kate and William were up to, but without the children, this tour would not have been the same.
I agree, the kids accompanying them pretty much made this trip. I like when the kids come along; because it's good to see them doing things as a family, and introducing the kids to the realms is very important.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-02-2016, 11:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I agree, the kids accompanying them pretty much made this trip. I like when the kids come along; because it's good to see them doing things as a family, and introducing the kids to the realms is very important.
Yep. I'm in love with Charlotte...
Old 10-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I think George did a wonderful job of shaking hands and behaving beautifully. You see his parents continually intervening telling them what's going on and what to do. Even with the little pony, George obviously wanted to get off, and William told him to give him a stroke first, that keeps William in charge and teaches simple manners.
The thing with Trudeau was just his fault, the kid really did look kind of woozy and half asleep and you don't just rush up to kids Anyway with a baffling high five which is not part of George's culture. If he was sensitive he could have crouched down and asked him to shake his hand for the cameras. That is what it is for anyway.
If anything, two first borns like w and c are overly conscientious, which I guess they have to be. I certainly would have let mine go at the kids party. But I wouldn't have had tons of cameras watching
Old 10-02-2016, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Please note that discussion concerning Tax and the Duchy of Cornwall have been moved to the following thread:

Royal Wealth and Finances
Old 10-02-2016, 12:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post

I think George did a wonderful job of shaking hands and behaving beautifully. You see his parents continually intervening telling them what's going on and what to do. Even with the little pony, George obviously wanted to get off, and William told him to give him a stroke first, that keeps William in charge and teaches simple manners.
The thing with Trudeau was just his fault, the kid really did look kind of woozy and half asleep and you don't just rush up to kids Anyway with a baffling high five which is not part of George's culture. If he was sensitive he could have crouched down and asked him to shake his hand for the cameras. That is what it is for anyway.
If anything, two first borns like w and c are overly conscientious, which I guess they have to be. I certainly would have let mine go at the kids party. But I wouldn't have had tons of cameras watching
George usually do shake hands. He did so at Charlotte's christening and I think he did it at the air show. It was a long trip and he probably didn't feel up to it. By the time he gets back to Canada, he'll be shanking lots of hands.

The kids party was great. The cameras was there, but it didn't bother the kids and Mr. & Mrs. Cambridge. Also, it's important for the media and people to see the kids in live action. Sadly, I don't think the British media and people get much of a chance to see the kids outside of Trooping the Colour and the odd trip to a polo match. The staged photos are great and, very much appreciated, but those candid moments are beyond priceless.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-02-2016, 02:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
So while Mum and Dad were busy - George, Charlotte and Nanny made the most of their time too.

Daily swims in the Government House indoor pool, Harbourside walks, a trip to Willow Beach with its ice-cream shop and playground, watching the "Goat Stampede" at the Beacon Hill Children's Park.

Pizza and pasta to fuel up for all the action.

"Daily Mail/Mail Online" has the details.

And this visit was the only time they plan to do an official Tour as a family of four, for several years to come.
wow, it is so interesting that all this took place yet there were no pictures. my guess is that the press was under clear instructions not to take or publish any pictures of george and charlotte out and about with their nanny (not those with their parents that were part of the official agenda for the tour, of course).

shame to hear they won't be repeating a tour as a family anytime soon but i can understand the decision.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-02-2016, 02:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Well, Trudeau is also an adult meeting a new little person for the first time in a situation that might stress most of us, much less a little person. And I take issue with him putting George in a situation where as a little tired boy, it was 50:50 at best that he would "perform" as expected. He was using that kid to get a great photo (if it succeeded).
As an adult - when I meet little people I don't push myself on them. I let them welcome me or I let them be all shy. I don't expect a handshake, a high five or even a smile. When I see them avoiding eye contact I back off. It's simple adult good manners. Because kids, even royal kids, get a mulligan on this at this age.
My mother raised us with impeccable manners in meeting strangers - but even she understood we would have moments. And as long as we were shy, rather than brats, she supported us and made us feel safe.
I'd also point out, in a modern world, we tell children over and over about stranger danger. The days when we should encourage children to show immediate friendship with strangers is long gone.
Children eventually get to an age where they can understand the difference between meeting people in a diplomatic situation and meeting all people that come up to you. I have no doubt that the Cambridges have a plan to teach their children about this. In their own time.
Until then, perhaps Trudeau will rethink how he greets shy, tired children with a thousand cameras going off all around.
This is an excellent post. Many adults, when dealing with children, forget to take cues from them. The Canadian PM was so focused on his own agenda, that he didn't even bother to notice that George may be feeling, exhausted after a long flight, overwhelmed by all the new people and cameras, or both. I don't think it's bad manners that George didn't high-five, or shake Mr. Trudeau's hand. He was trying to find his bearings in a new situation. Sometimes that takes precedence over manner, especially for a young child. You're absolutely right; when children don't appear to be engaging with an adult, it's best for the adult to move away and come back when the child is more comfortable. There's no need to force the interaction. As a teacher, I experience this on daily basis, so it's almost like second nature when it comes to reading children. William and Catherine know their children and I'm sure basic manners are taught, practiced and encouraged. The incident at the party, when William instructed George to pet the pony before getting off, tells me that George is expected to act polite when in public. He, along with his sister are not being raised like cave people.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:25 PM
Aristocracy

High five is dumb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Now we're nitpicking toddlers...

George gets a pass from me with Justin Trudeau. He just got off an air plane after a 9 hour flight. He looked half asleep (it was midnight in the UK)

He did shake hands with the Governor General.

I hope George never learns to 'high-five'. It's ridiculous thing to do. A proper handshake is all that's required.
Rudolph: I agree with you. "High five" is meaningless. My grands don't relate to it at all.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:27 PM
Aristocracy

Frelinghaus:
I thought Trudeau's "moment" was his effort for a photo op. Nothing to do with relating to a toddler.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Pilot Shawn Stewart, 38, from Victoria, told the Mirror after the flight: "George was excited.

"He went to the window the whole flight.

"After we landed, once the co pilot got out, George climbed up into the seat and started playing with the controls and pretending he was flying the plane.

"Kate said 'Where are you going to fly us? Are you going to fly us to Canada?'

"And George said 'No I'm going to fly us to England'.

"George loved it.

"He was having fun."

He added: "He knew he was going home and he was pretending he was going to fly back."
Read more: Prince George turned pilot as the royals left Canada and announced: "I'm going to fly us to England" - Mirror Online
Old 10-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Majesty

I hope George gets to fly planes when he's older. He's certainly very keen to try.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

George will follow his father and grandfather with time in the Army, Royal Navy and RAF. George has pilots on both sides of family and will be super exposed to the military so it seems certain that he will get his wings too.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community