The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #461  
Old 10-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 6,071
I couldn't keep up with the tour, but I followed the events where the kids were part of it. George and Charlotte have completely different personalities imo, and Charlotte is such a curious and quiet little girl! .

Don't mind what Kate and William were up to, but without the children, this tour would not have been the same.
__________________

__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
Reply With Quote
  #462  
Old 10-02-2016, 10:36 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I couldn't keep up with the tour, but I followed the events where the kids were part of it. George and Charlotte have completely different personalities imo, and Charlotte is such a curious and quiet little girl! .

Don't mind what Kate and William were up to, but without the children, this tour would not have been the same.
I agree, the kids accompanying them pretty much made this trip. I like when the kids come along; because it's good to see them doing things as a family, and introducing the kids to the realms is very important.
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #463  
Old 10-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 6,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I agree, the kids accompanying them pretty much made this trip. I like when the kids come along; because it's good to see them doing things as a family, and introducing the kids to the realms is very important.
Yep. I'm in love with Charlotte...
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
Reply With Quote
  #464  
Old 10-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Frelinghighness's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England, United States
Posts: 5,496
I think George did a wonderful job of shaking hands and behaving beautifully. You see his parents continually intervening telling them what's going on and what to do. Even with the little pony, George obviously wanted to get off, and William told him to give him a stroke first, that keeps William in charge and teaches simple manners.
The thing with Trudeau was just his fault, the kid really did look kind of woozy and half asleep and you don't just rush up to kids Anyway with a baffling high five which is not part of George's culture. If he was sensitive he could have crouched down and asked him to shake his hand for the cameras. That is what it is for anyway.
If anything, two first borns like w and c are overly conscientious, which I guess they have to be. I certainly would have let mine go at the kids party. But I wouldn't have had tons of cameras watching
Reply With Quote
  #465  
Old 10-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,375
Please note that discussion concerning Tax and the Duchy of Cornwall have been moved to the following thread:

Royal Wealth and Finances
__________________
JACK
Reply With Quote
  #466  
Old 10-02-2016, 11:55 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post

I think George did a wonderful job of shaking hands and behaving beautifully. You see his parents continually intervening telling them what's going on and what to do. Even with the little pony, George obviously wanted to get off, and William told him to give him a stroke first, that keeps William in charge and teaches simple manners.
The thing with Trudeau was just his fault, the kid really did look kind of woozy and half asleep and you don't just rush up to kids Anyway with a baffling high five which is not part of George's culture. If he was sensitive he could have crouched down and asked him to shake his hand for the cameras. That is what it is for anyway.
If anything, two first borns like w and c are overly conscientious, which I guess they have to be. I certainly would have let mine go at the kids party. But I wouldn't have had tons of cameras watching
George usually do shake hands. He did so at Charlotte's christening and I think he did it at the air show. It was a long trip and he probably didn't feel up to it. By the time he gets back to Canada, he'll be shanking lots of hands.

The kids party was great. The cameras was there, but it didn't bother the kids and Mr. & Mrs. Cambridge. Also, it's important for the media and people to see the kids in live action. Sadly, I don't think the British media and people get much of a chance to see the kids outside of Trooping the Colour and the odd trip to a polo match. The staged photos are great and, very much appreciated, but those candid moments are beyond priceless.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #467  
Old 10-02-2016, 01:12 PM
carlota's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 7,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
So while Mum and Dad were busy - George, Charlotte and Nanny made the most of their time too.

Daily swims in the Government House indoor pool, Harbourside walks, a trip to Willow Beach with its ice-cream shop and playground, watching the "Goat Stampede" at the Beacon Hill Children's Park.

Pizza and pasta to fuel up for all the action.

"Daily Mail/Mail Online" has the details.

And this visit was the only time they plan to do an official Tour as a family of four, for several years to come.
wow, it is so interesting that all this took place yet there were no pictures. my guess is that the press was under clear instructions not to take or publish any pictures of george and charlotte out and about with their nanny (not those with their parents that were part of the official agenda for the tour, of course).

shame to hear they won't be repeating a tour as a family anytime soon but i can understand the decision.
__________________
The Humane Society of the United States is the nation’s largest and most effective animal protection organization.
http://www.humanesociety.org
Reply With Quote
  #468  
Old 10-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Well, Trudeau is also an adult meeting a new little person for the first time in a situation that might stress most of us, much less a little person. And I take issue with him putting George in a situation where as a little tired boy, it was 50:50 at best that he would "perform" as expected. He was using that kid to get a great photo (if it succeeded).
As an adult - when I meet little people I don't push myself on them. I let them welcome me or I let them be all shy. I don't expect a handshake, a high five or even a smile. When I see them avoiding eye contact I back off. It's simple adult good manners. Because kids, even royal kids, get a mulligan on this at this age.
My mother raised us with impeccable manners in meeting strangers - but even she understood we would have moments. And as long as we were shy, rather than brats, she supported us and made us feel safe.
I'd also point out, in a modern world, we tell children over and over about stranger danger. The days when we should encourage children to show immediate friendship with strangers is long gone.
Children eventually get to an age where they can understand the difference between meeting people in a diplomatic situation and meeting all people that come up to you. I have no doubt that the Cambridges have a plan to teach their children about this. In their own time.
Until then, perhaps Trudeau will rethink how he greets shy, tired children with a thousand cameras going off all around.
This is an excellent post. Many adults, when dealing with children, forget to take cues from them. The Canadian PM was so focused on his own agenda, that he didn't even bother to notice that George may be feeling, exhausted after a long flight, overwhelmed by all the new people and cameras, or both. I don't think it's bad manners that George didn't high-five, or shake Mr. Trudeau's hand. He was trying to find his bearings in a new situation. Sometimes that takes precedence over manner, especially for a young child. You're absolutely right; when children don't appear to be engaging with an adult, it's best for the adult to move away and come back when the child is more comfortable. There's no need to force the interaction. As a teacher, I experience this on daily basis, so it's almost like second nature when it comes to reading children. William and Catherine know their children and I'm sure basic manners are taught, practiced and encouraged. The incident at the party, when William instructed George to pet the pony before getting off, tells me that George is expected to act polite when in public. He, along with his sister are not being raised like cave people.



Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #469  
Old 10-02-2016, 01:25 PM
MissByrd's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ashburn, United States
Posts: 235
High five is dumb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Now we're nitpicking toddlers...

George gets a pass from me with Justin Trudeau. He just got off an air plane after a 9 hour flight. He looked half asleep (it was midnight in the UK)

He did shake hands with the Governor General.

I hope George never learns to 'high-five'. It's ridiculous thing to do. A proper handshake is all that's required.
Rudolph: I agree with you. "High five" is meaningless. My grands don't relate to it at all.
__________________
"...and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story." C.S. Lewis (The Chronicles of Narnia)
Reply With Quote
  #470  
Old 10-02-2016, 01:27 PM
MissByrd's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ashburn, United States
Posts: 235
Frelinghaus:
I thought Trudeau's "moment" was his effort for a photo op. Nothing to do with relating to a toddler.
__________________
"...and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story." C.S. Lewis (The Chronicles of Narnia)
Reply With Quote
  #471  
Old 10-02-2016, 02:18 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,871


Quote:
Pilot Shawn Stewart, 38, from Victoria, told the Mirror after the flight: "George was excited.

"He went to the window the whole flight.

"After we landed, once the co pilot got out, George climbed up into the seat and started playing with the controls and pretending he was flying the plane.

"Kate said 'Where are you going to fly us? Are you going to fly us to Canada?'

"And George said 'No I'm going to fly us to England'.

"George loved it.

"He was having fun."

He added: "He knew he was going home and he was pretending he was going to fly back."
Read more: Prince George turned pilot as the royals left Canada and announced: "I'm going to fly us to England" - Mirror Online
Reply With Quote
  #472  
Old 10-02-2016, 02:36 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,103
I hope George gets to fly planes when he's older. He's certainly very keen to try.



Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #473  
Old 10-02-2016, 03:11 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,152
George will follow his father and grandfather with time in the Army, Royal Navy and RAF. George has pilots on both sides of family and will be super exposed to the military so it seems certain that he will get his wings too.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #474  
Old 10-02-2016, 03:52 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,871
Quote:
There is no doubt that George and Charlotte stole the show on this royal tour .

From Charlotte bashing balloons in delight and bouncing on a dog, to George blowing bubbles and refusing the Canadian Prime Minister a high five, they ensured the trip was so much more than a series of polite and repetitive photo calls.

...there can be no doubt that the interest in their visit and the worldwide attention it brought is on a scale not commanded by many other public figures - and certainly not by William's father Charles.

If William, Kate and their children continue to have this impact, it's hard to see the monarchy going anywhere - except on more official visits.
Read more: Young royals that wowed Canada are the key to the future of the monarchy - Victoria Murphy - Mirror Online
Reply With Quote
  #475  
Old 10-02-2016, 03:58 PM
Humera's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 7,805
How was the PM focused on his agenda by simply wanting to acknowledge George and shake his hand? The Governor General shook the prince's hand too. Did he have an agenda then?
As a father of three, including a toddler, I'm sure he knows how to handle children. You might remember that his youngest gave Barak Obama a high five in the White House when the family visited Washington in the summer. As pointed out by others, maybe high fives are just a North American thing.
And Trudeau has plenty of personal experience with this sort of thing, meeting and shaking hands with world leaders as a small child himself when his own father was PM. I'm sure he was being nothing but friendly.

ps...I mean to quote your post Daria, but hit the edit button instead by mistake, sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
This is an excellent post. Many adults, when dealing with children, forget to take cues from them. The Canadian PM was so focused on his own agenda, that he didn't even bother to notice that George may be feeling, exhausted after a long flight, overwhelmed by all the new people and cameras, or both. I don't think it's bad manners that George didn't high-five, or shake Mr. Trudeau's hand. He was trying to find his bearings in a new situation. Sometimes that takes precedence over manner, especially for a young child. You're absolutely right; when children don't appear to be engaging with an adult, it's best for the adult to move away and come back when the child is more comfortable. There's no need to force the interaction. As a teacher, I experience this on daily basis, so it's almost like second nature when it comes to reading children. William and Catherine know their children and I'm sure basic manners are taught, practiced and encouraged. The incident at the party, when William instructed George to pet the pony before getting off, tells me that George is expected to act polite when in public. He, along with his sister are not being raised like cave people.



Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #476  
Old 10-02-2016, 03:59 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,633
This was an odd video posting by KP indeed-

Kensington Palace is blasted over its 'creepy' Canada video montage | Daily Mail Online
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #477  
Old 10-02-2016, 04:05 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,152
It's has a Canada logo end credit maybe it was something that came from Canada's end instead of something in house from KP.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #478  
Old 10-02-2016, 04:10 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,871
It's a Department of Canadian Heritage video done for KP. It's videos are usually much better. I posted some earlier in the tour.
Reply With Quote
  #479  
Old 10-02-2016, 04:35 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,633
The music sounded like death and the video was dark. Poorly made, IMO.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #480  
Old 10-02-2016, 04:41 PM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
wow, it is so interesting that all this took place yet there were no pictures. my guess is that the press was under clear instructions not to take or publish any pictures of george and charlotte out and about with their nanny (not those with their parents that were part of the official agenda for the tour, of course).

shame to hear they won't be repeating a tour as a family anytime soon but i can understand the decision.

Local media apparently reported seeing them on Willow Beach carlota - a long, sandy, white beach - but photos weren't taken it's thought.

A few twitter accounts posted about the trip to the animal park - but again not photographed.

I think the Royal reporters may have known things, but held back until the end of the Tour.


I loved the flight anecdote Rudolph. What a stimulating childhood George is having.

There were quotes from Paul the balloon man about how George asked for a volcano, and told him "that's lava". Paul hadn't made a volcano before.

Charlotte got a monkey in a tree as well as a flower, and George got his requested volcano along with the spider.

These little snippets/first-hand accounts are great.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Australia - April 16-25, 2014 Warren The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 768 10-10-2015 11:38 PM
Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Tour of Canada - May 18-21, 2014 muriel The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 148 01-14-2015 07:39 AM
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of New Zealand - April 7-16, 2014 muriel The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 937 01-14-2015 07:32 AM
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - June 30-July 8, 2011 agami.pearl The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 980 12-10-2012 05:12 PM




Popular Tags
alqasimi aristocracy armenia bavaria;house;chef;luitpold;ludwig belgian belgian royal family birthday celebration castles charles of wales countess of snowdon countess of wessex crown prince hussein's future wife current events cypher cyprus danish history denmark duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex dutch history family search french royalty future wife of prince hussein general news germany hamdan bin mohammed harry head of the house henry v house of bourbon house of grimaldi house of orange-nassau house of saxe-coburg and gotha king philippe letter lithuanian castles marriage mbs meghan markle mohammed vi monaco christening monarchist monarchy naples nelson mandela bay nobel 2019 official visit palaces potential areas prince harry prince of wales princess anne princess benedikte qe2 queen mathilde romanov family rumania shakespeare south korea spanish royal state visit swedish history swedish royal family swedish royalty united kingdom usa valois viscount severn windy city


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:07 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises
×