The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-01-2016, 11:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Indian chief explains why he didn't meet Kate and Will

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-02-2016, 12:21 AM
Commoner

This was a wonderful tour for the Cambridges. They were so friendly and yet respectful of the traditions that are so important to the Aboriginal People culture. There are still some disputes and very hard feelings created by non-Aboriginals and companies. A very respectful visit by William and family was required, and the Cambridges were great.

Having been to Alaska, that part of the world is awe-inspiring, so vast and wild. I was amazed at how important the waterways are, with coastal towns hugging the seas, and huge mountains as close backdrops.

This was a great visit for the RF and for Canada.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
George shunned the kid giving the flowers when he tried to high five him. It's not just Justin Trudeau that he won't high five. Is high five not a thing in the U.K.?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Probably not. I can't say that I've ever seen anyone do it here.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:21 AM
Courtier

Thanks Dman for all the exellent clips!

I most likely wouldn't have seen them anywhere else.

I think George is hilarious with the beaming smile and the double hand waves. You can nearly hear him thinking as William pulls him along, ..... stop, I'm just getting the hang of this wave thing and it's good fun! Peoples like it!
Old 10-02-2016, 02:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

The best photos from Prince William and Kate Middleton's family royal tour of Canada - HELLO! US
Old 10-02-2016, 04:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
George is only 3 and already had two major international tours. That is actually quite a lot of public life experience for someone that young (not to mention Trooping the Colours and other major public appearances within the UK).
Yes, but the sooner he gets used to a life in public, the better.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
George shunned the kid giving the flowers when he tried to high five him. It's not just Justin Trudeau that he won't high five. Is high five not a thing in the U.K.?
Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
What I find strange about this is that neither parent, both times, didn´t encourage George to shake hands. Yes, I know, young parents from today´s mantra seems to be "don´t make kids not what they do not want to do!".
But I´m convinced children have to be raised to do things of basic politeness. Both Charles and Diana always stretched their son´s hands gently in the direction of the person wanting to greet them (seen this doing so by the norwegian CP couple sometimes, too). But just ignoring my son not shaking hands with friendly people is, from my point of view, not the right thing to do.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Agree. There comes a time when cuteness is no longer an excuse.

And other rules apply for royal children. - Who can get stubborn too of course and misbehave in public. The little critters.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
What I find strange about this is that neither parent, both times, didn´t encourage George to shake hands. Yes, I know, young parents from today´s mantra seems to be "don´t make kids not what they do not want to do!".
But I´m convinced children have to be raised to do things of basic politeness. Both Charles and Diana always stretched their son´s hands gently in the direction of the person wanting to greet them (seen this doing so by the norwegian CP couple sometimes, too). But just ignoring my son not shaking hands with friendly people is, from my point of view, not the right thing to do.
To be fair, we've seen people try to shake hands with George 3 times. 1st time was the PM, and he was hunched down with George while William what shaking hands with others and Kate as well, so they probably didn't even see it and if they did they were in the middle of greeting as well. Nr2 was the kid trying to high five George. Which, it's a high five. Occation 3 is the GG trying to shake Georges hand when leaving and William immediatly urged George to shake his hand and George did so. Seems like good behaviour to me.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:00 AM
Courtier

You are talking about two children under the age of four, one under the age of two, exposed to flashing cameras (which we don't see remember!) and all the other fanfare - they did a good job all by themselves!

I think William and Kate handled it very well, not forcing anything on them. Let the Grown Ups get over it!
Old 10-02-2016, 05:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

A BB gallery of, unsurprisingly, the children. 10 SKØNNE BILLEDER: Prinsesse Charlotte og prins George til børnefest i Canada | BILLED-BLADET
And from BT: Se de søde billeder: Royale rollinger stjal billedet

As usual the coverage, at least here in DK, is positive but not particularly fact-oriented and pretty limited. It's mainly cute photos.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
You are talking about two children under the age of four, one under the age of two, exposed to flashing cameras (which we don't see remember!) and all the other fanfare - they did a good job all by themselves!

I think William and Kate handled it very well, not forcing anything on them. Let the Grown Ups get over it!
Haha exactly! They can train the kids in handshakes at other times. It is NOT worth it to push it with the media focused on them. Kids tend to get fussy when told to do something they don't want, which is ok and they have to do it anyways. But when in the media glare (or for us "mortals" when at a wedding or something of the sort) you usually pick your fights a bit more and maybe rather give that extra raisin or let go of that thing you normally would tell them off about because it's not worth the scene.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To me, forcing children under the age of 4 to "mimic" grown ups and do the proper handshake and whatever else grown up protocol dictates is pretty meaningless unless the child knows the reasons behind such actions. These are children that basically are still at a stage where learning what the word "no" really means. Its the biggest trial for parents of little ones to teach kids to mind and heed and know what "no" means.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 10-02-2016, 06:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Ah, come on.

Children aged three or four can easily be taught basic manners. If they can learn to say hi, or goodbye to the bus-driver, they can also learn to shake hands.

My point is merely that it's good to teach children basic manners from as early on as possible. Especially royal children.
At that age they don't think about whether it's weird or not, they just do it, if it's normal to them.

And all children will do the opposite of what is expected of them from time to time, due to them being shy, feeling awkward or just being contrary. That's a phase, and it'll pass. Charlotte and George will do that as well at some point.
And no one is expecting them to have impeccable manners at that age.

It's learning by doing and that's why I think it's good the children are brought with W&K on the job.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:23 AM
Majesty

I thoroughly enjoyed the visit. Global TV and CTV did a brilliant job live streaming the events.

Quote:
They have clearly been practising their Royal waves.

Prince George and Princess Charlotte were the picture of professionalism as they bade goodbye as their first overseas tour together came to an end.

The two children, aged three and 16 months, waved to enchanted crowds as they toddled through Victoria harbour and onto their waiting sea-plane.

Their parents, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, took care of the formalities, thanking Canadian dignitaries as the clearly excited children took in the final moments of their eight-day tour.
Read more: Prince George and Princess Charlotte steal Canadian hearts as they wave goodbye to the crowds as the royal tour ends*
Old 10-02-2016, 07:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post

That´s what I mean: Not forcing, or ather "demanding", anything on children is great these days...
Actually it´s not about "forcing", it´s rather to exemplify something to children who cannot know better because they are too young. On the one hand we criticize since years that good manners and behaviour is succeedingly fading, people are more and more consumed with themselves etc., while on the other hand we do nothing to stop it where it all starts: In the education and how kids are brought up and what values are conveyed to them.
My criticism is not on George, it´s about William and Catherine (who I like a lot and who again did a great job for the crown these days!), just not noticing their son´s refusal to shake hands with a person who friendly want to make contact to you. It doesn´t matter how often we´ve seen this - I thought this straightway watching the scene with Justin Trudeau.

And that "training" proposal, when nobody´s around, from a fellow poster from Sweden is nonsense: Sitting in Kensington Palace and practising how to shake hands wth people one does not know? Come on! Learning by doing is still the most easy and natural thing to deal with it.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:52 AM
Majesty

Now we're nitpicking toddlers...

George gets a pass from me with Justin Trudeau. He just got off an air plane after a 9 hour flight. He looked half asleep (it was midnight in the UK)

He did shake hands with the Governor General.

I hope George never learns to 'high-five'. It's ridiculous thing to do. A proper handshake is all that's required.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:11 AM
Courtier

So because William and Catherine didn't choose to ignore the people they were talking and shaking hand to to focus if George took Trudeau hand or not, it makes them awful parents that isn't teaching their kids manners?
So they should practice bad manners when teaching George the manners of a handshake?
Yeah George would learn a lot from that.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
... My criticism is not on George, it´s about William and Catherine (who I like a lot and who again did a great job for the crown these days!), just not noticing their son´s refusal to shake hands with a person who friendly want to make contact to you. It doesn´t matter how often we´ve seen this - I thought this straightway watching the scene with Justin Trudeau.
Well, Trudeau is also an adult meeting a new little person for the first time in a situation that might stress most of us, much less a little person. And I take issue with him putting George in a situation where as a little tired boy, it was 50:50 at best that he would "perform" as expected. He was using that kid to get a great photo (if it succeeded).
As an adult - when I meet little people I don't push myself on them. I let them welcome me or I let them be all shy. I don't expect a handshake, a high five or even a smile. When I see them avoiding eye contact I back off. It's simple adult good manners. Because kids, even royal kids, get a mulligan on this at this age.
My mother raised us with impeccable manners in meeting strangers - but even she understood we would have moments. And as long as we were shy, rather than brats, she supported us and made us feel safe.
I'd also point out, in a modern world, we tell children over and over about stranger danger. The days when we should encourage children to show immediate friendship with strangers is long gone.
Children eventually get to an age where they can understand the difference between meeting people in a diplomatic situation and meeting all people that come up to you. I have no doubt that the Cambridges have a plan to teach their children about this. In their own time.
Until then, perhaps Trudeau will rethink how he greets shy, tired children with a thousand cameras going off all around.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Catherine looked great on the tour. The wardrobe expense? She's the future Queen touring the realms, she have to look good despite the expense.

George did well on this tour. He's a little shy, but he will out grow it over time. He's a brilliant Royal waver though. He lights up w hen around crowds. Charlotte stole the show though. She's a funny little kid. One can see how William and Catherine gets lots of exercise running and playing with their kids.

A.W. TOZER