The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-01-2016, 08:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
I have to say, after seeing that two-handed wave, the result of William and Catherine's parenting, and choice to give their kids a fairly private upbringing, seems to be two kids who are very secure, and way more comfortable with appearing in public than William was.

Which, honestly, is what many of us have been saying; that having been brought up rather overexposed to the media glare of the Diana era and aware of his own issues with the press, William seems to be deliberately trying to create an easier relationship with the press for his children. And that's all to the good TBH.
George is only 3 and already had two major international tours. That is actually quite a lot of public life experience for someone that young (not to mention Trooping the Colours and other major public appearances within the UK).

Old 10-01-2016, 08:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Royal Visit 2016 Day 8: Will and Kate end tour in Victoria, B.C. | Globalnews.ca

George giving a proper farewell handshake to the Governor General-
http://www.snappytv.com/tc/2922413/1597340

Video Clip-
Cambridge's leaving-
https://mobile.twitter.com/_mio/stat...028673/video/1

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-01-2016, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince George shook hands with the Governor General

And just some perspective. Prince Charles was a grown man before he visited Canada. I think George is off to a great start
Old 10-01-2016, 08:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Picture:
Charlotte giving a big smile and wave on departure-
https://mobile.twitter.com/RichLamPh...349633/photo/1

Picture-
Catherine wearing the Maple Leaf Brooch on departure:
https://mobile.twitter.com/RichLamPh...68326332796928

http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2016/10/01/...hess-cambridge

I think the Cambridge's will be back for the 150th Anniversary of the Confederation.

Pictures:
https://mobile.twitter.com/HRHDuches...608772/photo/2

https://mobile.twitter.com/HRHDuches...608772/photo/1

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-01-2016, 10:28 PM
Majesty

an 8 day visit and i counted 14 different outfits for kate... i guess there can never be such thing as 'too much planning' when you are a royal!
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-01-2016, 11:06 PM
Courtier

So while Mum and Dad were busy - George, Charlotte and Nanny made the most of their time too.

Daily swims in the Government House indoor pool, Harbourside walks, a trip to Willow Beach with its ice-cream shop and playground, watching the "Goat Stampede" at the Beacon Hill Children's Park.

Pizza and pasta to fuel up for all the action.

"Daily Mail/Mail Online" has the details.

And this visit was the only time they plan to do an official Tour as a family of four, for several years to come.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Once George starts school, it will be difficult to take them on tour. There is only six weeks off in the summer. Once they are older and can participate in more tour engagements, then we will probably see them again. Plus the kids will do more stuff in the U.K. in time like going to Wales or Cornwall with their parents.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-02-2016, 12:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Indian chief explains why he didn't meet Kate and Will

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-02-2016, 01:21 AM
Commoner

This was a wonderful tour for the Cambridges. They were so friendly and yet respectful of the traditions that are so important to the Aboriginal People culture. There are still some disputes and very hard feelings created by non-Aboriginals and companies. A very respectful visit by William and family was required, and the Cambridges were great.

Having been to Alaska, that part of the world is awe-inspiring, so vast and wild. I was amazed at how important the waterways are, with coastal towns hugging the seas, and huge mountains as close backdrops.

This was a great visit for the RF and for Canada.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
George shunned the kid giving the flowers when he tried to high five him. It's not just Justin Trudeau that he won't high five. Is high five not a thing in the U.K.?

Probably not. I can't say that I've ever seen anyone do it here.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:21 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks Dman for all the exellent clips!

I most likely wouldn't have seen them anywhere else.

I think George is hilarious with the beaming smile and the double hand waves. You can nearly hear him thinking as William pulls him along, ..... stop, I'm just getting the hang of this wave thing and it's good fun! Peoples like it!
Old 10-02-2016, 03:41 AM
Heir Apparent

The best photos from Prince William and Kate Middleton's family royal tour of Canada - HELLO! US
Old 10-02-2016, 05:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
George is only 3 and already had two major international tours. That is actually quite a lot of public life experience for someone that young (not to mention Trooping the Colours and other major public appearances within the UK).
Yes, but the sooner he gets used to a life in public, the better.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
George shunned the kid giving the flowers when he tried to high five him. It's not just Justin Trudeau that he won't high five. Is high five not a thing in the U.K.?
What I find strange about this is that neither parent, both times, didn´t encourage George to shake hands. Yes, I know, young parents from today´s mantra seems to be "don´t make kids not what they do not want to do!".
But I´m convinced children have to be raised to do things of basic politeness. Both Charles and Diana always stretched their son´s hands gently in the direction of the person wanting to greet them (seen this doing so by the norwegian CP couple sometimes, too). But just ignoring my son not shaking hands with friendly people is, from my point of view, not the right thing to do.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:50 AM
Majesty

Agree. There comes a time when cuteness is no longer an excuse.

And other rules apply for royal children. - Who can get stubborn too of course and misbehave in public. The little critters.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
What I find strange about this is that neither parent, both times, didn´t encourage George to shake hands. Yes, I know, young parents from today´s mantra seems to be "don´t make kids not what they do not want to do!".
But I´m convinced children have to be raised to do things of basic politeness. Both Charles and Diana always stretched their son´s hands gently in the direction of the person wanting to greet them (seen this doing so by the norwegian CP couple sometimes, too). But just ignoring my son not shaking hands with friendly people is, from my point of view, not the right thing to do.
To be fair, we've seen people try to shake hands with George 3 times. 1st time was the PM, and he was hunched down with George while William what shaking hands with others and Kate as well, so they probably didn't even see it and if they did they were in the middle of greeting as well. Nr2 was the kid trying to high five George. Which, it's a high five. Occation 3 is the GG trying to shake Georges hand when leaving and William immediatly urged George to shake his hand and George did so. Seems like good behaviour to me.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:00 AM
Aristocracy

You are talking about two children under the age of four, one under the age of two, exposed to flashing cameras (which we don't see remember!) and all the other fanfare - they did a good job all by themselves!

I think William and Kate handled it very well, not forcing anything on them. Let the Grown Ups get over it!
Old 10-02-2016, 06:07 AM
Majesty

A BB gallery of, unsurprisingly, the children. 10 SKØNNE BILLEDER: Prinsesse Charlotte og prins George til børnefest i Canada | BILLED-BLADET
And from BT: Se de søde billeder: Royale rollinger stjal billedet

As usual the coverage, at least here in DK, is positive but not particularly fact-oriented and pretty limited. It's mainly cute photos.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
You are talking about two children under the age of four, one under the age of two, exposed to flashing cameras (which we don't see remember!) and all the other fanfare - they did a good job all by themselves!

I think William and Kate handled it very well, not forcing anything on them. Let the Grown Ups get over it!
Haha exactly! They can train the kids in handshakes at other times. It is NOT worth it to push it with the media focused on them. Kids tend to get fussy when told to do something they don't want, which is ok and they have to do it anyways. But when in the media glare (or for us "mortals" when at a wedding or something of the sort) you usually pick your fights a bit more and maybe rather give that extra raisin or let go of that thing you normally would tell them off about because it's not worth the scene.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:56 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To me, forcing children under the age of 4 to "mimic" grown ups and do the proper handshake and whatever else grown up protocol dictates is pretty meaningless unless the child knows the reasons behind such actions. These are children that basically are still at a stage where learning what the word "no" really means. Its the biggest trial for parents of little ones to teach kids to mind and heed and know what "no" means.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon