The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-28-2016, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince George and Princess Charlotte went to a children's farm yesterday to see the animals while their parents are in the Yukon.

No pics but all reports say they had a lovely time.

Prince William and Kate receive rock star welcome in Whitehorse as royals are mobbed in Canadian town

Quote:
Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge were mobbed today when practically an entire Canadian town turned out to cheer them.

The royal couple were given a rock star welcome as thousands lined the streets of remote Whitehorse in the Yukon.

Kate, 34, wearing a red Caroline Herrera coat to keep warm from the freezing temperatures, went on a 25-minute walkabout through the town that grew during 19th century Gold Rush.

They had stayed in the stunning Yukon Territory overnight - leaving their two children - George and Charlotte - in the care of their nanny back in Victoria.

Before their walkabout they joined a group of local children at a storytelling session at the MacBride Museum this morning.
Read more: Prince William and Kate receive rock star welcome in Whitehorse as royals are mobbed in Canadian town | London Evening Standard

Old 09-28-2016, 04:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Pictures:
William and Catherine have arrived in Carcross-
https://mobile.twitter.com/byEmilyAn...07942095855616

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-28-2016, 05:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Carcross is stunningly beautiful in its rural western way. There is not a bad picture anywhere in coverage and Carcross stands out in each. I'm jealous. It's only a 3000 mile drive for me.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:38 PM
Courtier

Just looking at the pics from their meeting with the volleyball team yesterday, and I realised just how tall these girls are! P William and D Kate are both quite tall, but they had to look up to make eye contact with the girls.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Old 09-28-2016, 08:19 PM
Heir Apparent

The Daily Beast has a few words to say about the tour.

What’s Wrong With William and Kate’s Tour of Canada? - The Daily Beast
Old 09-28-2016, 08:40 PM
Heir Apparent

The Daily Beast needs to visit Canada. The coverage has been massive. Not just in BC but across the country.

500 journalists have been accredited. I highly doubt 500 journalists will follow Harry to the Caribbean next month

Yet another front page in The Globe and Mail, Canada's national newspaper.

https://twitter.com/RoyaleVision/sta...93084877082624
Old 09-28-2016, 08:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Why has Harry always got to be brought into the conversation? The Beast was talking about British newspapers, British coverage of the Cambridges' in 2016 and the British public reaction to stories about the Cambridges and their tour so far. Of course coverage in Canada is extremely important in this tour, and good to see it! However, so is the British public's response and those British journalists who cover William and Kate's activities.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Almost every single national British newspaper have journalists in Canada. The BBC, ITV and Sky News have crews here.

In fact Katie Nichol told the CBC that these are some of the largest crowds she's seen on a royal tour in a long time.

This is as big as royal tours come. Worldwide coverage
Old 09-28-2016, 09:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The Daily Beast needs to visit Canada. The coverage has been massive. Not just in BC but across the country.

500 journalists have been accredited. I highly doubt 500 journalists will follow Harry to the Caribbean next month

Yet another front page in The Globe and Mail, Canada's national newspaper.

https://twitter.com/RoyaleVision/sta...93084877082624
Thank you for the information regarding the coverage of the Cambridge's tour in Canada and for sharing that UK stations are present as well. I would have been very surprised if they had not been giving it much attention.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:43 PM
Courtier

"Aides panic" - great headline from "Daily Mail/Mail Online" to go with their great photos.

William and Catherine edged- on the spur of the moment - along the rail track. It looked tricky.

But they're young and fit.

I would have been in a panic at Charles and Camilla giving it a go.

(Sorry, can't post links.)
Old 09-28-2016, 09:44 PM
Aristocracy

That Sykes article is significantly weakened by the misrepresentations and outright incorrect facts in it, IMO. Just a few:

Quote:
Last years arrival of Princess Charlotte was a more subdued affair, hardly blockbuster stuff,
Misrepresentation. Ignores the fact that the palace changed the way they organized things so that the press didn't have to spend weeks waiting. And got credit from the press for doing a much better job at organizing things than at George's birth.

Quote:
Their descent from the Canadian Air Force craft was the first time the public got to see both children together without one of them being pushed in a pram or wrapped in swaddling bands
Well, no. That would be TtC last year. This false claim is also repeated later.

Quote:
even the 24-hour news channels in the U.K. did not carry a live feed.
But the Mirror did, and so did CTV here in Canada

Quote:
There has been dutiful reporting of Kates dresses, including the most recent red Preen evening gown, but not gushing praise.
Huh. Guess he missed the daily mail's story today which was OTT even for those of us who like the couple.

Quote:
lifestyles are funded with incalculable taxpayer pounds
Uh... we know they probably share about 2 million pounds with Harry. It's pretty calculable, actually. The security is more opaque, it's true, but the only figures available there are Republic's and probably should be taken with a shaker of salt.

Quote:
scheduled to attend an event at a kids club Thursday
Well, if by "kids club", you mean "BC's Government House". Which, no. Or maybe you mean the Military Family Resource Centre, which is a gross misrepresentation of what that organization does.

Quote:
to salvage a royal tour that is fast disappearing into obscurity
Really? Because the engagement was planned that way from the start , so it's not like they're pulling last minute hail mary pass.

Quote:
They probably arent reading the commentators saying how dull and wooden they are, advising them to loosen up and have a little impromptu moment now and again.
To be fair, I'm not either. I wonder which "commentators" he means.

I'm not saying all is well with the cambriges and the press. But if he has to misrepresent that much, I question how much his commentary is worth as a whole.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Almost every single national British newspaper have journalists in Canada. The BBC, ITV and Sky News have crews here.

In fact Katie Nichol told the CBC that these are some of the largest crowds she's seen on a royal tour in a long time.

This is as big as royal tours come. Worldwide coverage
I'd add that some om my favorite Twitter coverage has been from local and other Canadian journos. But even the most senior, sometimes cynical UK journos seem impressed with the sheer size and beauty of what they are seeing. Good for the Yukon and BC and the people who live there to get this spotlight.

BTW - weather for Friday in Haida Gwaii is supposed to be mostly sunny which might make up a bit for Monday's outdoor washout.

And can I ask if anyone knows how the locals prefer Haida Gwaii to be pronounced? I've found three versions. Thanks to anyone who knows
Old 09-28-2016, 11:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I'd add that some om my favorite Twitter coverage has been from local and other Canadian journos. But even the most senior, sometimes cynical UK journos seem impressed with the sheer size and beauty of what they are seeing. Good for the Yukon and BC and the people who live there to get this spotlight.

BTW - weather for Friday in Haida Gwaii is supposed to be mostly sunny which might make up a bit for Monday's outdoor washout.

And can I ask if anyone knows how the locals prefer Haida Gwaii to be pronounced? I've found three versions. Thanks to anyone who knows

This man pronounces it how I've always heard it pronounced:

On the issue of the Aboriginal names in BC, it could be harder than it is. There's a place not too far outside of Vancouver called "Squamish" (pronounced s-kwo-mesh) that takes it's name from a mispronunciation of the Aboriginal name for the people of the area - spelled "Skwxwu7mesh". When I was younger I took a BC history class where the original name was written on a map during a lecture. To my prof's great annoyance, I was the impertinent one who raised her hand and asked "how do you pronounce the '7'?"

At about the same time, there was a movement among local Aboriginal communities to restore Vancouver's Stanley Park to the name used when it was an Aboriginal village - the name: X̱wx̱way. I've yet to figure out how to actually pronounce it, but one English spelling of it is "why-why".
Old 09-28-2016, 11:44 PM
Gentry

I visited Haida Gwaii a few years ago. Beautiful, mystical, breathtaking.....
The locals pronounced it as "Queen Charlotte" :) All joking aside.... " Hi-dah G-why" is as close as I can get to the proper way of saying it.
I am rather excited for the visit. I spend a long long time at the heritage centre which is incredibly interesting. And it is lovely to see that they have a new hospital. The old one really needed replacing. K&W will get a quick introduction to the place but they really need to be there for a week or longer to really see it in all its glory. They aren't going to get down to the actual Haida Gwaii ie Tanu, Skedans or Ninstints which are the true spirit of the islands.

I am quite interested in how they are going to get everyone over to the events. The airport is at Sandspit on Moresby Island which means they will have to take a ferry over to Skidegate on Graham Island This ferry only takes 15 or so vehicles at a time. And then once they are there, there is only one road...which is going to be closed. The press are going to have to choose one spot - the airport, the cultural centre or the hospital. And the traffic is going to be snarled for hours if everyone tries to follow them from Skidegate to The hospital in Queen Charlotte City. Again- one road.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
That Sykes article is significantly weakened by the misrepresentations and outright incorrect facts in it, IMO. Just a few:

Misrepresentation. Ignores the fact that the palace changed the way they organized things so that the press didn't have to spend weeks waiting. And got credit from the press for doing a much better job at organizing things than at George's birth.

Well, no. That would be TtC last year. This false claim is also repeated later.

But the Mirror did, and so did CTV here in Canada

Huh. Guess he missed the daily mail's story today which was OTT even for those of us who like the couple.

Uh... we know they probably share about 2 million pounds with Harry. It's pretty calculable, actually. The security is more opaque, it's true, but the only figures available there are Republic's and probably should be taken with a shaker of salt.

Well, if by "kids club", you mean "BC's Government House". Which, no. Or maybe you mean the Military Family Resource Centre, which is a gross misrepresentation of what that organization does.

Really? Because the engagement was planned that way from the start , so it's not like they're pulling last minute hail mary pass.

To be fair, I'm not either. I wonder which "commentators" he means.

I'm not saying all is well with the cambriges and the press. But if he has to misrepresent that much, I question how much his commentary is worth as a whole.
Exactly. Not to mention the time zone difference. Why would the UK media have live streams of the events in the middle of the night? And photos come in after deadline for the next days papers which means less front pages because when they can put the pictures in the magazine they are already a day or so old. And still they have made multiple frontpages.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrobug View Post
I visited Haida Gwaii a few years ago. Beautiful, mystical, breathtaking.....
The locals pronounced it as "Queen Charlotte" :) All joking aside.... " Hi-dah G-why" is as close as I can get to the proper way of saying it.
I am rather excited for the visit. I spend a long long time at the heritage centre which is incredibly interesting. And it is lovely to see that they have a new hospital. The old one really needed replacing. K&W will get a quick introduction to the place but they really need to be there for a week or longer to really see it in all its glory. They aren't going to get down to the actual Haida Gwaii ie Tanu, Skedans or Ninstints which are the true spirit of the islands.

I am quite interested in how they are going to get everyone over to the events. The airport is at Sandspit on Moresby Island which means they will have to take a ferry over to Skidegate on Graham Island This ferry only takes 15 or so vehicles at a time. And then once they are there, there is only one road...which is going to be closed. The press are going to have to choose one spot - the airport, the cultural centre or the hospital. And the traffic is going to be snarled for hours if everyone tries to follow them from Skidegate to The hospital in Queen Charlotte City. Again- one road.
Some press will probably be stationary (as have been during the tour multiple times. Not all press cover the same events) and then it's usually 1 photographer + 1 reporter per day that seems to get to travel with the royals in the motorcade etc so the events that otherwise would have to be skipped for travel arrengements also gets coverage.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:09 AM
Heir Apparent

It is so weird. First "Kate Middleton" ( ) and then, oh yes... that lad with her...

Old 09-29-2016, 07:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Video from the Yukon

Old 09-29-2016, 08:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:

I'm surprised to see William painting with his right hand
Old 09-29-2016, 09:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Perspective from Canada's weekly national news magazine

William and Kate’s 2016 visit is a sombre, and at times risky, royal affair — one that’s sought out difficult stops on the grittier side of Vancouver and contentious Indigenous territories

Why royal visit 2016 is the edgiest, most provocative, inspiring ever - Macleans.ca