Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - Sept 24-Oct 1, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I understand it, the Queen is the Head of State for all Canadians equally. The First Nations treaties were originally made with the British Crown, not the British Government. When Canada became independent of Great Britain, we kept the monarchy but as Queen/King of Canada. That is, when the Queen is here, she's here as Queen of Canada, not as Queen of the United Kingdom. The treaties are still with her, as she is the person who embodies The Crown. When members of the Royal Family are in Canada, they are here as representatives of Her Majesty. In that sense, yes, her heir's heir, as her representative, is equal to tribal leaders.

After all I've read about this, I am confused.
Technically, is the Queen the First Nations' Head of State? Is William technically their future head of state? Have there ever been documents executed between the two entities that does that?
I've read both things - that he is and that he met tribe leaders as an equal.
And Mods, if this does not belong here - feel free to re-position it.

It all looked very artificial and fake to me. William and Catherine simply can't act spontaneously in the way the younger Swedish and Danish royals can for example.

Little bit of a contradiction there......:whistling:

Look like the Duchess had a great time in Haida Gwai. All smiles ...

Une partie de plaisir, pour le duc et la duchesse de Cambridge

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

She may be Royalty, but the Duchess of Cambridge is just like any other mother of young children, it appears: forced to endure Frozen.

The Duchess recognised a little girl dressed as character Elsa from the wildly popular children's film, after seeing she was wearing a princess dress.

Netusha Danister, seven, and her mother Amalee were among hundreds of people who met the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at a family centre in Victoria, Canada.

"She asked me 'are you a princess?'," said Netusha. "And I said yes then she asked me about Frozen and said 'what's your favourite character?'

"And I said 'Elsa' and she liked that.'"

The event, at the Cridge Centre for the Family, saw the Duke and Duchess meet toddlers who turned out in the princess dresses and home-made crowns to greet them.

The Duke spent time asking the children about their lives, telling one little boy how Prince George shared his love of tractors.
Read more: Duchess of Cambridge watches Frozen with the royal children, she reveals on last day of Canada trip

Prince George and Princess Charlotte waving to the crowds!

George loves waving to the crowds of people. That Charlotte was cracking the officials up. She waved to the crowds too. William and Catherine have two funny characters on their hands.

I have to say, after seeing that two-handed wave, the result of William and Catherine's parenting, and choice to give their kids a fairly private upbringing, seems to be two kids who are very secure, and way more comfortable with appearing in public than William was.

Which, honestly, is what many of us have been saying; that having been brought up rather overexposed to the media glare of the Diana era and aware of his own issues with the press, William seems to be deliberately trying to create an easier relationship with the press for his children. And that's all to the good TBH.

George shunned the kid giving the flowers when he tried to high five him. It's not just Justin Trudeau that he won't high five. Is high five not a thing in the U.K.?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I have to say, after seeing that two-handed wave, the result of William and Catherine's parenting, and choice to give their kids a fairly private upbringing, seems to be two kids who are very secure, and way more comfortable with appearing in public than William was.

Which, honestly, is what many of us have been saying; that having been brought up rather overexposed to the media glare of the Diana era and aware of his own issues with the press, William seems to be deliberately trying to create an easier relationship with the press for his children. And that's all to the good TBH.

George is only 3 and already had two major international tours. That is actually quite a lot of public life experience for someone that young (not to mention Trooping the Colours and other major public appearances within the UK).

Prince George shook hands with the Governor General

And just some perspective. Prince Charles was a grown man before he visited Canada. I think George is off to a great start

Last edited:
Last edited:
an 8 day visit and i counted 14 different outfits for kate... i guess there can never be such thing as 'too much planning' when you are a royal!

So while Mum and Dad were busy - George, Charlotte and Nanny made the most of their time too.

Daily swims in the Government House indoor pool, Harbourside walks, a trip to Willow Beach with its ice-cream shop and playground, watching the "Goat Stampede" at the Beacon Hill Children's Park.

Pizza and pasta to fuel up for all the action.

"Daily Mail/Mail Online" has the details.

And this visit was the only time they plan to do an official Tour as a family of four, for several years to come.

Last edited:
Once George starts school, it will be difficult to take them on tour. There is only six weeks off in the summer. Once they are older and can participate in more tour engagements, then we will probably see them again. Plus the kids will do more stuff in the U.K. in time like going to Wales or Cornwall with their parents.

This was a wonderful tour for the Cambridges. They were so friendly and yet respectful of the traditions that are so important to the Aboriginal People culture. There are still some disputes and very hard feelings created by non-Aboriginals and companies. A very respectful visit by William and family was required, and the Cambridges were great.

Having been to Alaska, that part of the world is awe-inspiring, so vast and wild. I was amazed at how important the waterways are, with coastal towns hugging the seas, and huge mountains as close backdrops.

This was a great visit for the RF and for Canada.

George shunned the kid giving the flowers when he tried to high five him. It's not just Justin Trudeau that he won't high five. Is high five not a thing in the U.K.?

Probably not. I can't say that I've ever seen anyone do it here.

Thanks Dman for all the exellent clips!

I most likely wouldn't have seen them anywhere else.

I think George is hilarious with the beaming smile and the double hand waves. You can nearly hear him thinking as William pulls him along, ..... stop, I'm just getting the hang of this wave thing and it's good fun! Peoples like it!

George is only 3 and already had two major international tours. That is actually quite a lot of public life experience for someone that young (not to mention Trooping the Colours and other major public appearances within the UK).

Yes, but the sooner he gets used to a life in public, the better.

What I find strange about this is that neither parent, both times, didn´t encourage George to shake hands. Yes, I know, young parents from today´s mantra seems to be "don´t make kids not what they do not want to do!".
But I´m convinced children have to be raised to do things of basic politeness. Both Charles and Diana always stretched their son´s hands gently in the direction of the person wanting to greet them (seen this doing so by the norwegian CP couple sometimes, too). But just ignoring my son not shaking hands with friendly people is, from my point of view, not the right thing to do. :ermm:

:previous: Agree. There comes a time when cuteness is no longer an excuse.

And other rules apply for royal children. - Who can get stubborn too of course and misbehave in public. The little critters. :p

What I find strange about this is that neither parent, both times, didn´t encourage George to shake hands. Yes, I know, young parents from today´s mantra seems to be "don´t make kids not what they do not want to do!".
But I´m convinced children have to be raised to do things of basic politeness. Both Charles and Diana always stretched their son´s hands gently in the direction of the person wanting to greet them (seen this doing so by the norwegian CP couple sometimes, too). But just ignoring my son not shaking hands with friendly people is, from my point of view, not the right thing to do. :ermm:
To be fair, we've seen people try to shake hands with George 3 times. 1st time was the PM, and he was hunched down with George while William what shaking hands with others and Kate as well, so they probably didn't even see it and if they did they were in the middle of greeting as well. Nr2 was the kid trying to high five George. Which, it's a high five. Occation 3 is the GG trying to shake Georges hand when leaving and William immediatly urged George to shake his hand and George did so. Seems like good behaviour to me.

You are talking about two children under the age of four, one under the age of two, exposed to flashing cameras (which we don't see remember!) and all the other fanfare - they did a good job all by themselves!

I think William and Kate handled it very well, not forcing anything on them. Let the Grown Ups get over it!

You are talking about two children under the age of four, one under the age of two, exposed to flashing cameras (which we don't see remember!) and all the other fanfare - they did a good job all by themselves!

I think William and Kate handled it very well, not forcing anything on them. Let the Grown Ups get over it!
Haha exactly! They can train the kids in handshakes at other times. It is NOT worth it to push it with the media focused on them. Kids tend to get fussy when told to do something they don't want, which is ok and they have to do it anyways. But when in the media glare (or for us "mortals" when at a wedding or something of the sort) you usually pick your fights a bit more and maybe rather give that extra raisin or let go of that thing you normally would tell them off about because it's not worth the scene.

Back
Top Bottom